Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Corniellau ABS thickness and plys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corniellau ABS thickness and plys
    Posted: 07/22/2018 at 8:08am
Hi guys,

Can anyone give me the thickness and the construction (including the piles of wood used) of the Corniellau Absolum Blade please?

I think Its Ebony-limba-limba-ayous-limba-limba-Ebony or Ebony-ayous-ayous-ayous-ayous-ayous-Ebony  but I am not sure :(.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2018 at 8:51am
Originally posted by bokai bokai wrote:

Hi guys,

Can anyone give me the thickness and the construction (including the piles of wood used) of the Corniellau Absolum Blade please?

I think Its Ebony-limba-limba-ayous-limba-limba-Ebony or Ebony-ayous-ayous-ayous-ayous-ayous-Ebony  but I am not sure :(.

Thanks!

According to https://www.cornilleau-store.uk/products/150-gatien-absolum-off.html, the thickness is 6.1mm and top ply is ebony.

Edited by vvk1 - 07/22/2018 at 8:52am
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2018 at 9:11am
Sorry for hacking the subject but out of curiosity I bought a Foco Off+ and must say Im truly impressed. Maybe the best wooden blade I ever held.
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2018 at 12:27pm
I always felt foco 0ff+ was just a rebranded absolum
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
Nightsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2018 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by viva viva wrote:

Can't be. Too many differences. Foco off+ is a 5ply blade with a whopping 7 mm thickness, whereas the Absolum is a 7ply with 6.1 - 6.2 mm thickness. And even though the top ply of the foco off+ is colored, it really doesn't look like ebony, the grains are too thin for ebony...
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Nightsky Nightsky wrote:

Can't be. Too many differences. Foco off+ is a 5ply blade with a whopping 7 mm thickness, whereas the Absolum is a 7ply with 6.1 - 6.2 mm thickness. And even though the top ply of the foco off+ is colored, it really doesn't look like ebony, the grains are too thin for ebony...

Absolum look very clipper like
Nightsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2018 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Absolum look very clipper like

Well, both are 7ply blades, rather stiff and very fast, but that's about it (slightly different head sizes, different handles, different kind of top plies etc. etc.).
With the Absolum it is the middle ply that is red, whereas the Clipper has two red plies (the ones that "surround" the middle ply...
Furthermore the Clipper has harder inner and softer outer plies whereas the Absolum has ebony outer plies, so on the hard side...

Edited by Nightsky - 07/22/2018 at 4:03pm
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2018 at 7:08pm
There was a moment when I looked at the Absolum, but then I found out how heavy it is and lost any interest
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2018 at 10:30pm
Thanks for the thickness confirmation :), can anyone identify the inner plys of the ABS? 
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2018 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

There was a moment when I looked at the Absolum, but then I found out how heavy it is and lost any interest

It is a heavy blade with hard outerply.
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
Nightsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2018 at 10:43am
This is the best close-up picture I've found in regards to the plies of the Absolum (need to click on the third picture and enlarge):

https://www.tischtennis.biz/spieler/tischtennishoelzer/cornilleau/gatien/cornilleau-gatien-absolum-off.html#&gid=1&pid=3

The three inner plies (including the red one) seem to be ayous (aka abachi), the outer locking veneers (the ones directly under the outer ply) could be either limba or spruce, but I'm leaning towards limba, and then the ebony outer plies. So the construction is likely

ebony - limba - ayous - ayous - ayous - limba - ebony

Edited by Nightsky - 07/23/2018 at 10:45am
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2018 at 12:37am

This is the best close-up picture I've found in regards to the plies of the Absolum (need to click on the third picture and enlarge):

https://www.tischtennis.biz/spieler/tischtennishoelzer/cornilleau/gatien/cornilleau-gatien-absolum-off.html#&gid=1&pid=3

The three inner plies (including the red one) seem to be ayous (aka abachi), the outer locking veneers (the ones directly under the outer ply) could be either limba or spruce, but I'm leaning towards limba, and then the ebony outer plies. So the construction is likely

ebony - limba - ayous - ayous - ayous - limba - ebony

Much appreciated! Thanks!
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2018 at 9:16am
First batch (old logo) of Absolum was very different than nowdays. It was VERY hard and heavy (95-100gr) and the ebony outer plies were very dark and even.

Current one (new logo) is a lot softer and lighter (85-90gr) and not so powerfull as before.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2018 at 9:51am
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

First batch (old logo) of Absolum was very different than nowdays. It was VERY hard and heavy (95-100gr) and the ebony outer plies were very dark and even.

Current one (new logo) is a lot softer and lighter (85-90gr) and not so powerfull as before.

What was the old logo?
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2018 at 1:00pm

What was the old logo?

Old Logo

New Logo

Edited by AMonteiro - 07/25/2018 at 1:57pm
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2018 at 5:10am

What was the old logo?

Old Logo

Thanks! I notice the wood grain is different too  

New Logo

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic