Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Practice Tecnique vs Match Technique

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2019 at 5:01pm
Mjamja it would be good if you could identify your primary weaknesses in your game and where you lose the most points. Often, the lowest hanging fruit to improvement is found there. 

I recently elevated my game significantly and started winning against some players in the club I never won against in the past. I think the key was a much improved BH push and serve receive against reverse services, and much improved BH loop mechanics. Now the FH is my major liability because I'm missing too much with my FH powerloop. So that becomes the primary area that I'll be working on. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2019 at 5:11pm
I've also recently changed my hitting mechanics on both BH and FH and can definitely feel your pain in transfering practice technique to match technique. It takes a while before the new mechanics kick in due to all the existing neural networks that have to be rewired. For me what worked was lots of shadow practice and random training with more inconsistent partners. The inconsistent partners, because they throw the ball in many different locations, force you to move to adjust to the ball, similar to a match situation! Practicing with different players also helps huge because it forces your brain to adapt to different incoming balls using the new technique.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2019 at 5:53pm
My weaknesses
1. Serve return - I read spin very poorly and even when I do I have no return that puts any pressure any opponent. As a result I either miss a lot of returns or am third balled to death.

2.  Freezing up against any medium speed topspin -  Whether it is a relatively weak 3rd ball, a weak flip, or a 4th ball counter attack I do one of two things. First is to resort to a weak passive block.  The second is to short stroke the shot (especially on Fh).  By that I mean I try to swing but stop right at ball contact.  It is kind of half stroke and half block.  As a result I have to rely on my opponent making an unforced error in order to win points.  Fine against 1600 players, but death against 2000.  And if a 1600 player is having a good day, I have no shots to force his errors if he hits the first topspin or does even a weak counter attack of my opening.

Note; The work I am doing on remaking my loop is to help with this.  In looking at video of Fh loop I saw
1) Too long backswing
2) Dropping left shoulder down instead of dropping right shoulder.  Lots of issues with what left arm does.
3) Initiating the forward swing with arm not hips
4) Follow through ending in line with right shoulder and with neutral to open racket angle. (no where close to the normal salute position.)
5) Racket in neutral postion at ball contact.  No closure to help generate spin so I flat hit even when trying to loop.

3. Serve -My  serves are too high, too long , and have no deception so they are always attacked.  Combine this with #2 and even weak attacks of my serve result in me losing points.

4.  Footwork - My left foot will not move to the left so I have no good way to handle balls to my elbow.  When going right I hit ball while standing on right foot only and leaning right.  After hitting I have to take 2 steps more to right to gain  balance so am totally out of position to return next shot.

5. Bh against topspin - I drop racket below table during backswing and have to raise it back up before starting  forward.This results in seemingly random balls hit  long off table with no topspin when I am late raising racket.

Besides those few minor things I am really close to getting to 2000.

Mark
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2019 at 10:22pm
Sticking with the theme of giving true but completely impossible to follow advice, I think the fastest way for you to overcome these weaknesses and break 2000 is this:

1. stop training completely and only play points or matches
2. Don't play with anyone under 2000, or any defenders

Basically, you are getting away with crap at 1600 level so it is staying in your game because you get psychic rewards of winning with it.  Even though you aren't happy or you know it's wrong, your lizard brain still gets the boost from winning.  You need to eliminate any prayer of winning ugly.  Opponents need to unmercifully.obliterate your tentative receives, pushes, and half-swings.

When the feeble shots you want to eliminate generate nothing but psychic pain with never any ounce of reward, your brain will find a way to erase them from.your game.

Edited by BRS - 06/26/2019 at 10:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic