Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to receive that serve?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to receive that serve?
    Posted: 04/28/2019 at 8:31am
Hi

My mate disappeared from the radar for a month and now came back with the new racket (I sort of knew he's gonna change to it) and a new serve which gives me lots of troubles. His skills level used to be a bit higher than mine (I was winning about 40% of matches but he is pushing me to my limits). We both play with right hand a "shake hand" style.

I am attaching approximate trajectory of the serve. On that diagram I am on the bottom of the image, my back is facing you :)

• Ball speed is slow to medium but slow enough so that most of the time I am able to move to my left corner well in advance, so that I can see the spinning ball and prepare for the receive (if I knew how to receive ...)
  • Ball has 2 spins: decent side spin in the direction of the table but more prominent back spin.
  • Net clearance is fairly low, simple smash back is not working. 
  • I tried my best to show on the picture but worth mentioning that it sort of not possible for me to make a contact with the ball above the table, it has to be outside the edge.
  • If I had video I'd upload, sorry don't have it.
At first, most of my receives where either into the net or out on his right side. In general I don't have much problems dealing with side spin on that serve. So after a while I adjusted and now can send ball back over the net by gentle touch-push using my BH. 

In that case my racket "eats" both spins. I have to put racket into that weird angle similar to how Ovtcharov serves BH (elbow up, racket points down to the left like this: "/". So touching ball like that I make it back but ball is pretty much dry and simple. So now there are two problems: 1) ball is simple and if it bounces high enough he is using FH flick to my right or middle and point is over; 2) if I manage to set backspin on receive then he is pushing long to my far right and I just cannot get there on time or if I manage then since I am "on the move" I am sending him simple high ball and next smash is killing me. Grrrr ...

So, how to receive that serve?

Edited by fmarek - 04/28/2019 at 8:34am
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
Sponsored Links

serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2019 at 8:50am
Backhand flick to the body or down the line if you can. Forehand push is a viable option if sidespin is heavy.
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2019 at 8:56am
Originally posted by serr serr wrote:

Backhand flick to the body or down the line if you can. Forehand push is a viable option if sidespin is heavy.

Forehand push? I play with right hand. Where my body should be to do FH push??

Thanks.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2019 at 9:56am
BH chiquita will really punish this serve. But from here you can also do the strawberry flick. Alternatively you can do a short push or long push using the racket angle you mentioned, but actually you can also do it with the normal BH push angle not by avoiding the spin axis but adding to the sidespin (movement is like a chopblock), that can send back even heavier sidespin back to the opponent.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2019 at 10:15am
I assume it's a right handed fh pendulum serve from the bh corner: I use that serve a lot trying to get the same motion that what I would do for a fast along the line serve, the 2 extremes. 
The fun way to answer that serve is to wait until it clears the net post and go around it to hit the corner in a rising mini loop: rising because the ball has lost a lot of height by the time the shot is possible. When it happens to me, generally accompanied with a long dominating stare from the receiver, it calms me down.
Needless to say, that serve is a bad choice against tall and fast left handed players with a good fh loop. A right handed successful chiquita taking care of that serve above or around the net is always a beautiful thing to see.

edit: if the initial assumption is correct, receiving that serve safe with a push means a drop shot contacting the ball slightly on the right to compensate the side spin from the pendulum motion, expect the possibility of a 3rd ball flick along the line from there, a classic to counter the expected kill across.

Edited by fatt - 04/28/2019 at 10:19am
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2019 at 10:22am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I assume it's a right handed fh pendulum serve from the bh corner

Yep it is.

koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2019 at 5:39pm
If you have reasonable BH loop,  you can topspin this serve.  The key is to get into the right position to do it.  You have to move both feet for that.  Just stepping with your left foot is not sufficient.  Also, the loop should be fairly soft, i.e. brushing contact.  Go for lots of spin and not a lot of drive.  The loop can be fairly high, but it has to land deep on his side of the table.  Once you get the hang of it, you can very depth and angle.  I loop that serve down the line and it has a really funky bounce because some of the original sidespin is still on there.

If you do not have a good enough loop for that, try to take the ball early before it gets to the highest point and push deep on his side of the table.  For this, do not worry about spin.  Just shove the ball forward low and deep.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2019 at 6:11pm
If it is short to your BH and side underspin, put your racket with tip forward and to the right and push back short to their FH. 
If it is long and to the middle I FH attack to opponents FH with loop.
henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2019 at 8:32am
in my opinion there are two ways to punish this serve, 1: backhand flick deep to the body. 2: (I think this is the easier one) push it short and really wide to the backhand side of your oponent. 
big d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2019 at 9:01am
To start just touch the right side of the ball and c what happens.

To do that u can pivot just take the ball with your fh side.

petr korbel
fh t05
bh nexy karis m
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2019 at 9:47am
The key is to know your opponent well to return this serve.

Generally for this serve, your opponent expects you to return it to his backhand due to the side spin.

If it is side only, pushing is not a good option as it will likely pop. Backhand flip is the option.

If it is side and back spin, backhand flip, pushing short, long push or strawberry push are all fine. And it really depends on which your opponent is weak at return. If he is not good at lifting backspin ball, pushing back is a good option.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2019 at 10:53am
Serve return, like most things in table tennis, is not an intellectual activity.   Just have someone do the serve to you, experiment a little as long as you know what spin is on it, and you will figure out something.    You can even let it drop and try to take it round the net, or like me, you try to loop kill it so that it breaks the other sideline.  You can lob it if your opponent hates love.  You can aim or your opponents does hand corner, which may be around the net if the serve is deep enough.  But the only way to gain competence in TT is practice.   Understanding is maybe 10% to 30% of the key.  Inability to read spin is the biggest issue as most players will struggle if you return that serve without popping it up as the angle is not a typical one from which they receive balls.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic