FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Bernie Bukiet & Jimmy Lane - 1977

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rcgldr View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcgldr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bernie Bukiet & Jimmy Lane - 1977
    Posted: 08/15/2019 at 1:03am
Bernie and Jimmy warming up for a later open doubles match at a Santa Monica, CA tournament back in 1977. In that same year, Bernie, at 58 years old, won the USA seniors 40+ event.Bernie was a top USA player in the pre-inverted rubber days. I'm wondering if any one has videos (probably converted from film as in this video), or photos of Bernie. Jimmy Lane reached #4 on the USA rankings, but I'm not sure when.

Sponsored Links

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2019 at 11:16am
Bernie have to the one in black.  I thought he had an unorthodox grip?
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2019 at 11:25am
Originally posted by acpoulos acpoulos wrote:

Bukiet kinda wrapped his middle finger around the blade. He had great touch; great BH. Bernie story: when Daljoon Lee first arrived in US, he was unknown. Bernie tried to hustle him and started by spotting DJ 10 points for money. At the end, DJ was spotting Bernie 10 points for money!
that sounds about right, but we have to remember they were 21 point games
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2019 at 11:57am
Originally posted by acpoulos acpoulos wrote:

This occurred back in the 60's. Kinda implicit that it was a 21 point game. I shouldn't have to state that to all our astute forum members...
you are right but there might be some young ones here  ... like people that don't even know what a CD is
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2019 at 12:06pm
they seem to play the same way people play today.
at 0:20 that could be a guy today doing topspin from both sides.
at 0:31 big topspin shot.
I thought in 1977 they were not doing topspin yet.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 08/15/2019 at 12:09pm
serveandswing View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serveandswing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2019 at 12:35pm
Is that Paul Raphel he's playing at the end?
rcgldr View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcgldr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2019 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by pingpungpeng pingpungpeng wrote:

they seem to play the same way people play today.
Similar to today's play, the 38 mm ball didn't slow down as much or curve as much as the 40 mm ball, so players could play a bit further if they wanted to.

Originally posted by pingpungpeng pingpungpeng wrote:

I thought in 1977 they were not doing topspin yet.
They were doing top spin prior to inverted rubber with sponge, but inverted rubber introduced looping. The Europeans were doing a lot of looping, even in the early 1970's.

Originally posted by serveandswing serveandswing wrote:

Is that Paul Raphel he's playing at the end?
Yes, it went 5 games. Jimmy went on to play Ray Guillen (I think Jimmy won, but not sure). I don't recall if Dean Wong was there. I do recall Atilla Malek didn't play in the LA area until year or more later. I recall Jimmy and Bernie playing a doubles match versus Ray Guillen and Dean Wong at another tournament.

Edited by rcgldr - 08/15/2019 at 9:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic