Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how to push extremely spinny

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to push extremely spinny
    Posted: 08/21/2019 at 7:17am
Open topic to ask ppl what are their tips/tricks to pushing ridiculously spinny underspin that most ppl will dump into the net.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2019 at 8:49am

Are you talking about off service? If so..

I try to take the ball early on the forehand and close to the bounce with a shorter stroke and a slight dig/jab kind of movement with a very open racket angle with soft hands which develops quite a bit of chop and stays low to the net. Also taking the ball early takes time from my opponent and give me a bit of time myself to judge the return.

Not sure you can out push someone totally in a match but you can defo make them give you a weaker return off a good push which give the chance to make a good attack or put your opponent off balance yourself.

There are also the longer faster type pushes which use a slightly different contact.

That help any?

Edited by ghostzen - 08/22/2019 at 11:54am
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2019 at 9:32am
If you want to push with the backhand, then make good use of the wrist. On the forehand you can come into the table with your arm position similar to as if you push short. If you then pull your forearm backwards and use the elbow as the point of rotation you can do a heavy push with either backspin or sidebackspin. The motion is just like the forehand push that defenders do on a long ball.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2019 at 10:14am
Do you mean the heavy sort of backspin that comes back from LP's after you have looped to them ?
The Older I get, The better I was.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2019 at 10:30am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Open topic to ask ppl what are their tips/tricks to pushing ridiculously spinny underspin that most ppl will dump into the net.

Can you clarify: are you talking about pushing against heavy backspin that opponent sent your way? Or do you want to know how to push heavy yourself?  
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2019 at 10:38am
short fast contact right after the bounce with the wrist.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2019 at 10:53am
have your racket almost parallel with the table and just lay it under. Doesn't take much push. The backspin will take itself back over if it's that heavy. Push stroke is very short and parallel to the table...no down motion. 
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2019 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Can you clarify: are you talking about pushing against heavy backspin that opponent sent your way? Or do you want to know how to push heavy yourself?  

Sorry if it was jnclear, I meant pushing heavy against all sorts of spins LOL
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2019 at 7:37pm
My experience is that it's mainly about using the elbow as a pivot well, with the wrist action being in line with the forearm action, if the wrist action is not controlled then the spin reduces significantly (I use that to push with light spin). I've noticed that I push much better if I bring my head closer to the ball. Another thing is having the bat pointing upwards with the backswing. I also found out a useful technique of pushing sidebackspin by going a bit more sideways to the ball ie if the stroke is not perpendicular to the incoming flight path of the ball  but at a slight angle, this seems to increase the dwell time, control and spin compared to if you did it straight. It's sort of like a sidechopblock that you can even use against incoming topspin loops with good enough feeling. 
-------
Viscaria

Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2019 at 4:40am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

have your racket almost parallel with the table and just lay it under. Doesn't take much push. The backspin will take itself back over if it's that heavy. Push stroke is very short and parallel to the table...no down motion. 

yes, the contact point with the ball should be not at the back but at the bottom of the ball as much as possible..
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2019 at 8:07am
This needs touch and feel skills. It does not need too much arm movement but the timing, contact and feel of the ball. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2019 at 9:15am
at my level I find I do better when I just lay the ball back over dead than when I try to add more spin.  Maybe it's because for me it's the variation
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2019 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

short fast contact right after the bounce with the wrist.
Like this,
I find If I push too slow the spin will send the ball long sometimes
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic