Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Help on choosing new equipment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HaoFZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaoFZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help on choosing new equipment
    Posted: 12/01/2006 at 12:53am
Im relatively new to TT but I have been playing casually for some time. Recently joined a club along with my sister (gosh you guys got no idea how hard it is to find those in Montreal) and I just wanted to hear some advices on the equipment to get for myself and my sister.

Currently I have been playing with an Andro Kinetic CF Titanium ALL+ w/ dual carbo sound 2.0 and the rubber combination proved to be way too fast for my skills hindering my consistency during practices and matches. Im expecting to change them soon enough and I was thinking of having Hurricane 2 fh and Plasma 380 bh both 2.0. I need slightly more control on my bh as I have switched from penhold to shakehand and still did not caught up on skills and this will allow me to practice chopping as well.

As for my sister she was only using those pre-made bats to develop her technique, and she has improved enough to want to produce spin. After watching her play, she is not a very agressive type of player and doesnt like to take risks. She would like to develop her game into a modern defender I thought of getting her the proper equipment for it but Im not sure if it's too early. I thought of getting her a STIGA Tube Def as her blade using control rubber sheets. I dont know if she should get straight or flared handle, there is too many different answers on this matter and I would like to get your opinion. Does straight handle give defensive players any advantage?

As for rubber, I dont want to go for things like Tack C or anything expensive as she is still developing her game so ALL rubbers should do the job. I was looking for Chinese rubber as the blade is quite light and I dont want her to get too used to it. Any suggestions on this matter?

Getting equipment is hard in Montreal so outside TTP I dont see where else I could get my equipment w/o being charged ridiculous customs charges and even then, we pay full taxes in Quebec as TTP is located here -_-

I know thats a lot of questions and thanks in advance for everyone thats helping out =)
Sponsored Links

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2006 at 1:57am
For you: W-6 with Cream/MRS on the forehand and Saviga/Inspirit on the backhand.

For her: Some DHS 7-ply with 999 on the forehand and Double Fish pips on the backhand.

Cheap and good quality.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
HaoFZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaoFZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2006 at 10:12pm
Thanks for the suggestion, the pricing is not such an big issue for the blade for my sister and her lvl is not high enough to play with pips yet. Any suggestion for her bh? would another 999 do the job?

Reading the reviews about Globe 999 National version Im really interested into trying this rubber on a STIGA Tube Def as fh. Anyone has any idea on its performance w/o speed glue nor rubber cement? Also what would be a good bh combination for chopping? As my level is not high enough, my opponents dont use enough spin for me to require pips. Im looking for something thats good for off the table chopping with tremendous control or is 999 too slow requiring me to put that on bh and have a faster rubber as fh?

I thought of maybe Plasma 380 2.0 as fh and 999 as bh?
ttalex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2006 at 7:08am

if you wnt meto be hones with you, 999 is wuite a hard sponge,and i dont think that it would be a good move. i would personallyrecconmmend tackiness for a defender, but to give more options in open play get tackiness drive.

As far as pimples are concerned, if you try speedy p.o by butterfly, u might be surprised on how similar it is to reverse rubnbers.

I wouldkeep your otions open with te blade, and go for an allround blade rather than adefensive, and stiga are very good for allround blades.

also for you, i would go for the andro. The chinese is cheap, although the hurricane series can actually less consistent than some of the other leading rubbers.

consider :)

Tibaher chila light blade
Joola tango 2.0 on backhand
BTY Bryce 2,1 forehand
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2006 at 10:43am
Originally posted by TT_Freak TT_Freak wrote:

For her: Some DHS 7-ply with 999 on the forehand and Double Fish pips on the backhand.

For sure don't get pips for her, let her develop her game properly with inverted, or else she'll become a junk pips player (this is not a knock on all pips players, just junk players).

Don't get her a defensive blade, she's probably not aggressive because she's not confident in her skills yet. But as she gets better, she'll probably attack more, so just get her something ALL or ALL+. You might want to consider the LKT LoopSonic premade. Its rubbers actually have decent power and spin; probably 20% less than average rubbers. For under $20, it's definitely worth the value. It also has the adjustable weight in the handle to adjust control/power.

For you, you may find Inspirit/Saviga too fast for you. And the W6 blade is no slouch either, so that's a fast combination.

Maybe try one Chinese rubber (like Cream MRS) and one euro-style rubber (like Inspirit) to see which type you like better. And try an ALL/ALL+ blade like LKT Instinct. I don't think you'll stick to ALL/ALL+ forever, so consider this a transition racket since you're still relatively new to TT as you said. When you get better and are ready to upgrade, then spend some money on a better, more aggressive blade.

-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2006 at 12:43pm
Loopsonic premade is pretty hard and fast I think. I do think the topsheet is a nice grippiness though.

I bet 2.0 35deg inspirit would be decent for her. But I think that instinct blade is great. I would probably put lkt xp topsheets over 1.5-1.8 35deg cannon sponge for both sides. Should be perfect and I can make that up for $30 plus 5 to ship.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
pingpongkf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2006 at 10:07pm
Try any of the following: zeropong.com, speedpong.net, colestt.com. If you wanna go for fancy stuff try paddlepalace.com
www.speedpong.net
TT EQUIPMENTS: Nittaku, Butterfly, Stiga, Yasaka, Galaxy YinHe, DHS, Friendship, Globe.
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2006 at 11:46pm

DEFINITELY DON'T GIVE HER PIPS

smooth for both of you i'd say

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
HaoFZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaoFZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2006 at 12:20am
wow this thread turned super active all of a sudden ^^

thanks for the recommendations and I definitively wont give my sister pips at her level

I already knew we should both get soft inverted but which models was what i was reflecting on

i personaly decided to give Dawei 388A with custom sponge a try but still not sure with my sister...

she insisted on starting with STUGA TUBE Def so I got her that but I feel like giving her all+ rubbers to start off with as I dont want her to develop such a slow game, at her level I doubt the DEF or ALL will make that much of a difference

maybe after i try scott's custom 388A i might let her use it if it aint too fast combined with STIGA Tube def which would slow it down a bit
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2006 at 9:08am
There really isn't such a thing as defensive inverted rubber except perhaps chopping rubbers like donic slice or pf4-1 (which I've labled "instant hock.")

pong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2006 at 7:46am
Waldner dicon + samba Ntec 1.5mm
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2006 at 8:15am
Its really no big deal for your sister to have pips as long as she learns how to receive with her forehand first.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2006 at 11:54am

I don't think its a big deal anyway, as long as she learns with a spinny short pip and reasonably thick sponge.  Heck, 802-40 on 1.8 soft sponge plays a lot like an inverted anyway.

Now, long pips or something...that's a different story.

servio View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote servio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2006 at 2:54pm
as you found your previous setup to fast I cannot recommend you 2.0 plasma on your BH, instead take a thinner version and it might be better to take a completely diffrent rubber. if you want control you might like the donic quattro series.
for your sis, it's always best to start off with something allround so a def blade would be a bad idea really. for rubbers she's probably best of with something euro/jap on her FH or chinese variants that look like euro/jap rubbers.
who says tabletennis isnt a sport?
http://www.tabletennisdayton.com/files/47wttc-superpoints.wmv
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic