Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multiball fatigue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiball fatigue
    Posted: 01/18/2020 at 11:54pm
Started some multiball training and those are tough as nails. I'm mainly working on underspin looping after serve, so it's mostly I serve, and then my partner pushes long and then I loop the third ball. Rinse and repeat. I found it to be extremely tiring and I couldn't even catch my breath. I think doing this like 50 balls in a row is just killer. How do you guys do it?!!
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

KleinesDickesAilton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KleinesDickesAilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2020 at 11:59pm
Take breaks, take your time. 
Kugelblitz
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 2:09am
I got mad respect for those who can do multiball looping exercises now LOLLOL this definitely takes a lot of physical conditioning to be able to do it!
-------
Viscaria

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 3:34am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Started some multiball training and those are tough as nails. I'm mainly working on underspin looping after serve, so it's mostly I serve, and then my partner pushes long and then I loop the third ball. Rinse and repeat. I found it to be extremely tiring and I couldn't even catch my breath. I think doing this like 50 balls in a row is just killer. How do you guys do it?!!

You eventually get used to the routine. Just start maybe with 30 and then add 10 more per week. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 3:51am
You'll get used to it. I try to do intensive  multiball at least twice a week and I really miss it if I can't. It is a serious addiction of mine 😅
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 5:21am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

You'll get used to it. I try to do intensive  multiball at least twice a week and I really miss it if I can't. It is a serious addiction of mine 😅

You're a beast haha....Clap
-------
Viscaria

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 8:18am
Definitely try and take quick breaks so you are training correctly and don't wander off focus. Otherwise you can end up drilling the stroke incorrectly due to fatigue etc. Quite tricky to untrain that as well once that creeps in. 

Different routines with you just doing standard multiball or drills are great to improve quality and quality is key. 

Depending on tempo smaller blocks of multiball are great to aid shot production. Endurance, pressure and stress multiball drills also have good benifits 👍 and are a total killer for body and mind a like! 😊 

Edited by ghostzen - 01/19/2020 at 11:50am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 10:46am
You build up fitness over time.  Listen to your body.  Don't get hurt.

Also vary the shots and movements.  I like doing it but at one point got some Achilles tendonitis and had to scale back for nearly a year.

Edited by Baal - 01/19/2020 at 10:48am
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 11:32am
At least you are serving first so you can pace yourself. Try doing multiball footwork drill where the coach feeds you balls to different positions, it's a whole different level of exhaustion. 

Know which part of your body is tired. Overtime you will learn to do it more efficiently, and that's one of the key goals of multiball training. If you feel sore in any parts of your upper body, you are doing it wrong.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 11:43am
That's not actually multiball. You are doing a third ball drill.  Multiball would be your partner feeding you a few dozen underspin balls in a row.  You can do a few then break for a few seconds, or run straight through the whole bag of balls.  Maybe do that for a few weeks and the third ball will seem a lot easier.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

That's not actually multiball. You are doing a third ball drill.  Multiball would be your partner feeding you a few dozen underspin balls in a row.  You can do a few then break for a few seconds, or run straight through the whole bag of balls.  Maybe do that for a few weeks and the third ball will seem a lot easier.
Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing.  I mean, there's no official dictionary for table tennis, but when I work with professional coaches and they say "multiball", they mean feeding the balls quickly.

Just to emphasize BRS' point, the OP talked about serving and then looping.  But each serve requires a reset, which takes a couple of seconds, so you're actually getting a micro-rest in between.  As BRS mentioned, the multiball approach here is that the coach feeds underspin balls directly to you, so that there is no break between looping one ball and the next.

Personally, one of the toughest drills I know is full-table random multiball for looping underspin.

And as others have said, physical conditioning is the key to getting through this.
KleinesDickesAilton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KleinesDickesAilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 3:55pm
I guess most of us would benefit from doing (more) multiball drills. Feeding is a discipline by itself, though, and needs to be learned properly.
Kugelblitz
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

At least you are serving first so you can pace yourself. Try doing multiball footwork drill where the coach feeds you balls to different positions, it's a whole different level of exhaustion. 

Know which part of your body is tired. Overtime you will learn to do it more efficiently, and that's one of the key goals of multiball training. If you feel sore in any parts of your upper body, you are doing it wrong.

I cannot imagine being able to do that lol I think I will die from it... Usually it's my legs which give way haha...no upper body soreness really...
-------
Viscaria

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 6:54pm
brs is right and you haven't gotten anywhere NEAR physically exhausting multiball.

Just doing a powerful shot fed by multiball over and over for 1/2 the bucket with ZERO footwork would probably put you into cardiac arrest...

… let alone a multiball drill (or single ball if coach blocks instead of feeds) that involves powerful shot-making with explosive footwork movements... like say a BH on BH corner, a step around FH, then an explosive FH crossover to get the ball down the FH line... then back to the BH corner for a BH to start that sequence again...

… haha I have seen FIT WARRIORS give up the ghost after 10 consecutive of that... and that is not even one minute of that !!!
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

brs is right and you haven't gotten anywhere NEAR physically exhausting multiball.

Just doing a powerful shot fed by multiball over and over for 1/2 the bucket with ZERO footwork would probably put you into cardiac arrest...

… let alone a multiball drill (or single ball if coach blocks instead of feeds) that involves powerful shot-making with explosive footwork movements... like say a BH on BH corner, a step around FH, then an explosive FH crossover to get the ball down the FH line... then back to the BH corner for a BH to start that sequence again...

… haha I have seen FIT WARRIORS give up the ghost after 10 consecutive of that... and that is not even one minute of that !!!

lol, having trained a lot in a gym I thought I would be fitter than this, but this was really a humbling experience haha... 
-------
Viscaria

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Personally, one of the toughest drills I know is full-table random multiball for looping underspin.
One Chinese coach at B75 (international TT Camp) did this drill as the first one in a multi ball session. He said it’s good to get a feeling for the ball. But I don’t think it’s one of the toughest physically wise, as you can loop backhand and forehand. But the year before at the camp I had a different Chinese coach that was feeding me underspin one to the backhand and one to the forehand. I had to play forehand on both placements. When I was close to finishing the bucket, the other player that was collecting balls just casually comes up to the bucket and puts a completely full one in there. I was already done before the bucket was nearly empty but just wanted to finish the rest somehow and then he just fills it up again... pfffff. But I finished that second one somehow. One of the toughest things I have physically done in a TT practice. I recommend Multiball to everyone that wants to improve their technique, physicality, consistency, and so on.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

True. Advice is the same though about fatigue or pain.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic