Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chinese Rubber and Glue Effect

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
easyfiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyfiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chinese Rubber and Glue Effect
    Posted: 12/06/2006 at 1:42pm
What does glue effect really give you with Chinese rubbers?

I personally don't think it does much except for add speed. The Chinese like Guo Yuehua were using rubbers like 729 long before speed gluing and their strokes were pretty similar to the Chinese of today.

I think after the glue ban someone could use a soft carbon blade and get similar speed to a wood blade and glue.
Sponsored Links

billcai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billcai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2006 at 4:03pm
Like you said speed glue give added speed on your rubber. It also soften the sponge. And you have to adjust to it a little. As for the combination of blade and chinese rubber, it will greatly depend on your perference.
Let me tell you my personal experience. About 15 years ago Johnny Huang gave me a Sardius which he used and I used it with 729 and it is fast. But the catch is the ball leave the point of contact too fast which give me very little control of my loop and feel. But the blade was good for him at the time because he play with both pimp out rubber both sides and he is a world class level player.
Now I change to a Wang Liqin's blade, a simple wooden blade and without speed glue but I have much more feel and control of my loop. Yes I would give up a little on speed, but the spin, control and hand feel I gain is well worth compensate the lose in speed.
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2006 at 5:17pm
I briefly used speed glue with Hurricane 3 and felt it did not add much speed or spin on my FH loop to warrant the hassles of speed gluing.  I think the H3 sponge is very dense and does not absorb the speed glue much.  I never got it to dome much, even after multiple layers.  I have since move to Andro Plasma on an Avalox blue thunder 555 blade and am very happy with the combo.
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2006 at 5:23pm
The big thing for me is speedglue softens the sponge which increases dwell time an increases my controll.  I play close to the table so the rubber has enough speed for me on loops and drives but the flat hits are also faster with speed glue.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2006 at 5:27pm
Nofootwork, it depends on the glue that you use some work well and get a good dome with chinese and some dont unfortunately I forgot which dont.  I mix my own glue.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Butterfly Amultart
Leeroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2006 at 5:42pm

The glue effect on chinese isn't as noticeable as it is on softer Jap/euro rubbers.  But there still is an effect.  As wfw said, it does soften the dense sponges and gives it extra ticker.

I too don't bother speed glueing them though.  Just the time, money and hassle.  I think chinese rubbers are better in the fact that you don't need speed glue as much so to speak.  So I am happy with unglued chinese stuff.

I had chinese rubber with medium hard Jap sponges and when they glued up, boy were they nice.  You really did notice it.  But H3 didn't have such an effect as them.  Actually plenty less noticeable with H3. 

I think with speed glue on like H3, it may soften the sponge but the extra speed counteracts meaning you don't feel that much of difference.  But there is.

The pros with chinese have the softer glueing sponges and soaks the glue up much more than the commercial stuff i'd reckon. 

Blade: Galaxy U4
BH: DHS H2 (orange)
FH: DHS G666 or 729 40H German ESN

http://www.myspace.com/leethedream
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2006 at 6:22pm
Leeroy I have friend who is 2100+ but plays 2300 level who uses H2 commercial unglued.  I glued up 1 of my H3 National for him to try and it was too fast for his liking.  So we put back on his H2 using speedglue and he said it was much faster and I saw the increase in speed in his drives.  However like you he is too lazy to speedglue and prefers the consistency of the unglued rubber.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Butterfly Amultart
Leeroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2006 at 7:32pm

Yes I am in that same boat.  I now have H2 instead of H3.  I havn't glued it yet but figure it will be similar to H3 glued.  Softer with more speed. 

When I play longer I may speed glue the H2.  I might need more speed in my drives and loops.  But for now I am happy enough with it unglued.  I am lazy too .

I was glueing with a mixed formula that I got from you wfw.  50% rubber cement and 50% zippo lighter fluid.  I would have put in 10% dlimonene, 40% zippo but I couldn't find dlimonene anywhere.

Isn't that what you glue with wfw?

Blade: Galaxy U4
BH: DHS H2 (orange)
FH: DHS G666 or 729 40H German ESN

http://www.myspace.com/leethedream
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2006 at 9:14am
Just dont announce that at a tournament or someone may give you a hard time. I've been using cyclohexane, ethyl acetate, heptane, and dlim as my solvents to keep it legal.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
idchong3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idchong3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2006 at 10:15am

I play with Malin carbon with H3 province version on my forehand... i know its hard.. however i always insist on not using any speed glue to loop and play... This is because i feel more sense of achievement beating people who used speed glue and play... i can loop even faster and spinnier than them as i use my body weight distibution in waist turning ... most of them do not have the correct technique and use speed glue as an advantage.. i would prefer to maximise the potential of correct technique before i do anything with speed glue ( it is going to be banned anyway )...

Just my one cent...

Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Forehand- Stiga Almana
Backhand- Palio CJ 8000
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic