Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Adam Bobrow vs World no. 7 Lin Yun-Ju

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adam Bobrow vs World no. 7 Lin Yun-Ju
    Posted: 08/18/2020 at 7:51pm
First video

Edited by Simas - 08/18/2020 at 7:52pm
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
Sponsored Links

tzo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2020 at 5:13pm
I won't give away the secret of this match . But still I was wondering why Adam is only around 2100. I thought he would be at least 2200. His snakes seem so difficult to read. So that brings up the question .

How do you conquer the snake ?  As Adam explains it there are two components :- 

1.  SideSpin + TopSpin
2.  SideSpin + BackSpin

Personally I see little problem handling the  Side/Back but the bigger problem seems to be isolating first whether it is topspin or backspin, because the top/side balls seems to break rather sharply either way. Adam did explain the he drops the ball from a vertical angle (Rather than a forward angle towards the opponent) .  One problem is that he does create a lot of drama to disguise the sidespin direction.  If someone plays a simple side top in either direction it is  rather easy to read at least for me (most if not all the time.....I do have occasional brain farts when I misdirect my return towards wrong side of the table to counter-compensate the side spin).

Adam had made a good living (sort of con artist showman)  mastering this just one stroke LOL but this is one way to torment your opponents and make a living out of it. He seems like a cool guy & yes you have to commend him on this singular mastery but I have not seen any videos where (higher level) players beat the crap out of his snakes or like never-ever allow him to leave the table and counter-torture him by COMPLETELY taking him out of his element (This would be hard to do for someone with inverted both sides unless they are like 2600+ but I would like to see someone with just hardbat or long-pips or anti do this to him. That would be fun to watch) 

Kinda reminds of the videos I saw of how push-blocker torments 2200+ players but how this one player uses high bounce basement serves to have fun with push-blocker (I may be wrong  but I think this other player actually beats Push Blocker).

Actually has push-blocker ever played Adam ?

Edited by tzo - 08/19/2020 at 8:23pm
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2020 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by tzo tzo wrote:

Yes. I witnessed a Pushblocker vs Adam match. Pushblocker won the first game easily as Adam couldn't handle his loops sent back with the LP effect. Adam wisely stopped looping, actually stopped top spinning, and easily won the next 3 games with almost exclusive lobbing. I remember Pushblocker trying to drop shot a few but dropped them all into his own side of the net. The lobs had no topspin so there was nothing for the long pips to work with.  
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2020 at 3:36pm
I saw Samson Dubina (who is not 2600) completely dominate Adam in a match at either the Open or Nationals a couple of years ago. Samson just kept accurately smashing every lob until Adam was consistently up against the barriers. I might be mistaken, but I think Samson was in the 2400 range. I should add that Samson is very fit and has the energy to maintain consistent smashes over the length of a match.

Edited by LOG1C1AN - 08/20/2020 at 3:38pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2020 at 3:53pm
I played Adam at the Nationals or Open a few years ago.  He's probably a 2100 level player.  He will lose to players above his level and beat lower level players.  He's a showman more that he is a competitive player.  When I played him, he had a group of fans that followed him from match to match.  I think he's very good for the sport.  
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2020 at 7:32pm
Thanks for posting the video here. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to seeing the next part of the series.

Anyone who hasn't seen it, without spoiling anything, it was a fun match that's for sure!
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2020 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Yes. I witnessed a Pushblocker vs Adam match. Pushblocker won the first game easily as Adam couldn't handle his loops sent back with the LP effect. Adam wisely stopped looping, actually stopped top spinning, and easily won the next 3 games with almost exclusive lobbing. I remember Pushblocker trying to drop shot a few but dropped them all into his own side of the net. The lobs had no topspin so there was nothing for the long pips to work with.  

This matchup will be so funny to watch haha
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2020 at 4:19am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Thanks for posting the video here. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to seeing the next part of the series.

Anyone who hasn't seen it, without spoiling anything, it was a fun match that's for sure!

Adam is entertaining, that's for sure Smile
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2020 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

I hated this too when the opp. found an one way to beat you. Now, I printed a copy of this, and read it between game if this shxt happens to me Embarrassed

https://medium.com/@ttdementor/https-medium-com-ttdementor-https-medium-com-ttdementor-playing-long-pimples-21483b9c938
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2020 at 3:50pm
2 video: Adam against the coach and training partner

Edited by Simas - 08/24/2020 at 3:51pm
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2020 at 12:45am

I won't give away the secret of this match . But still I was wondering why Adam is only around 2100. I thought he would be at least 2200. His snakes seem so difficult to read. So that brings up the question .

How do you conquer the snake ?  As Adam explains it there are two components :- 

1.  SideSpin + TopSpin
2.  SideSpin + BackSpin

Personally I see little problem handling the  Side/Back but the bigger problem seems to be isolating first whether it is topspin or backspin, because the top/side balls seems to break rather sharply either way. Adam did explain the he drops the ball from a vertical angle (Rather than a forward angle towards the opponent) .  One problem is that he does create a lot of drama to disguise the sidespin direction.  If someone plays a simple side top in either direction it is  rather easy to read at least for me (most if not all the time.....I do have occasional brain farts when I misdirect my return towards wrong side of the table to counter-compensate the side spin).

Adam had made a good living (sort of con artist showman)  mastering this just one stroke LOL but this is one way to torment your opponents and make a living out of it. He seems like a cool guy & yes you have to commend him on this singular mastery but I have not seen any videos where (higher level) players beat the crap out of his snakes or like never-ever allow him to leave the table and counter-torture him by COMPLETELY taking him out of his element (This would be hard to do for someone with inverted both sides unless they are like 2600+ but I would like to see someone with just hardbat or long-pips or anti do this to him. That would be fun to watch) 

Kinda reminds of the videos I saw of how push-blocker torments 2200+ players but how this one player uses high bounce basement serves to have fun with push-blocker (I may be wrong  but I think this other player actually beats Push Blocker).

See how LYJ's coach plays Adam. Simply hit the first smash given with 70% power ensures he cannot hide the spin he's going to put on the ball, as he is too far back to use the table to obstruct vision of his hands.

Also, the flat hit makes it even easier, as it limits how he can deal with the ball.
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 8:15am
DHS Hurricane Neo3
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Simas Simas wrote:

the game

That was a very good display of the kind of skill difference between a world #7 and a well.above average tournament player.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Simas Simas wrote:

the game

Didn't know that Lin Yun-ju had a showoff streak in him haha, guy did all sorts of ridiculous rollers (how is he so consistent?!), countersmashes, when all he needed to do really was just to just spinny loop Adam off the table for a nice 11-2 victory like when Dan played against Timo...
-------
Viscaria

pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 11:04am
What impresses me is that one can reach elite level without training with elite partners. I had the hypothesis that Europeans are held back vs East Asia by the fact their best players rarely train together (being from different national associations).
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand, 2020-1: Stiga Allround WRB (67g)/Fastarc G-1 1.8mm/V11 > Extra max 158g
Fitness Friendship Fun
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

What impresses me is that one can reach elite level without training with elite partners. I had the hypothesis that Europeans are held back vs East Asia by the fact their best players rarely train together (being from different national associations).

It's mostly in the technique and footwork, due to bad coaching infrastructure, most European players have suboptimal technique and equipment which is why they lose (especially in the plastic ball era where you have less tricks
-------
Viscaria

Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 6:32pm
Who doesn't have elite training partners? LYJ?  I am not sure why you are concluding this, but LYJ has practiced with top players his entire life, even when he was just starting out learning how to play.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic