Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what are you working on in TT at the moment?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what are you working on in TT at the moment?
    Posted: 02/05/2021 at 10:07pm
Bored since no one is starting any technique topics recently....

I'm working mainly on footwork, improving my BH game even further (chiquita, loop), short pushes, and precision of my serves (ie making short serves really short and long serves really fast and deep) and recovering back to neutral position after the serve. 

One thing I found super useful is to warm up the legs before receiving serves (and after the serve too in a way) by shifting the centre of gravity a little upwards and downwards in quick succession - learnt that from Ito Mima - it makes your legs go a lot faster for some reason. It's different to a jump because your feet is still on the ground while you're doing this.

Edited by blahness - 02/05/2021 at 10:16pm
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2021 at 5:25am
I guess you have access to a club atm?

I've been working on shadow swings and general fitness as well as doing lots of yoga. 

For the shadow practice I'm trying to focus on something different each day. Lower stance, weight on toes more, using waist more for FHs, pulling wrist back more on the BH. 

As I started writing this topic I got this sudden sense of deja vu, I'm pretty sure you started the same topic about a year ago and I replied in a similar way... 

Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2021 at 5:33am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

One thing I found super useful is to warm up the legs before receiving serves (and after the serve too in a way) by shifting the centre of gravity a little upwards and downwards in quick succession - learnt that from Ito Mima - it makes your legs go a lot faster for some reason. It's different to a jump because your feet is still on the ground while you're doing this.

I always found the little jump helpful, like Ovtcharov does when receiving. 

Another thing that helps me be alert is to have my left thumb touch the tips of the index, middle and ring fingers on my left hand and each touch is a reminder for what I need to focus on:

1:Stay low, 2: Move to the ball, 3: Attack. 

This has really helped me clear out all the nonsense from my head when in a difficult situation and just focus on getting into the point in a positive way.
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2021 at 1:40pm
serve return stance, 3rd ball attack, faster in-out (i.e., return short push then move out to return deep topspin), BH flick  
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2021 at 8:39pm
Switching more seamlessly between attack and defense, to put an end to the paddy cakers once and for all! 
Eric Fountain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Fountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2021 at 1:42am
Carb loading
alas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2021 at 1:45am
reducing my stroke size. More efficient, and better footwork to have a similar stroke every time. 
-Eric
Nittaku Acoustic (Ch.Pen)
DHS Skyline TG-2 NEO
DHS Skyline 3-60
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2021 at 7:42am
Originally posted by alas alas wrote:

reducing my stroke size. More efficient, and better footwork to have a similar stroke every time. 

+1, I'm doing that with my BH too, shortening the stroke and prioritising body mechanics. I actually had a much longer stroke just a few weeks ago but realised that it's very hard to have both a big BH and a big FH, something has to give in terms of positioning and I was jammed bad by all these high level players who exploited those weaknesses. So I'm back to a mostly Harimoto style quick BH with a super short stroke (basically like a hip thrust straight punch with supination added for spin), don't try to finish the point with the BH, but rather pressure the opponent till he gives me a juicy ball to finish with my big FH. 
-------
Viscaria

maur1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maur1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2021 at 6:44pm
I am working on a few things.

NEW Mindset. Anything on my forehand long I loop with good body rotation.

At first sight of a ball going on my forehand an immediate fast push off my left sole foot thinking of rotating the ground anticlockwise beneath my foot.
Face left knee to right leg at end of back rotation.
So full rotation before thinking of footwork to move right.
Depending on the ball position hit ball with good form or do semi or cross step to move right.
Think of right sole turning ground clockwise under foot for forward swing.
Training using the ttedge app to do the above facing app forehand topspin setting.
Robot training with random ball.
Multi ball with coach.

I think in 3 months people will avoid my forehand.
They will find my backhand is actually my best shot.LOL

Edited by maur1010 - 02/07/2021 at 6:52pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2021 at 6:46am
Originally posted by maur1010 maur1010 wrote:

I am working on a few things.

NEW Mindset. Anything on my forehand long I loop with good body rotation.

At first sight of a ball going on my forehand an immediate fast push off my left sole foot thinking of rotating the ground anticlockwise beneath my foot.
Face left knee to right leg at end of back rotation.
So full rotation before thinking of footwork to move right.
Depending on the ball position hit ball with good form or do semi or cross step to move right.
Think of right sole turning ground clockwise under foot for forward swing.
Training using the ttedge app to do the above facing app forehand topspin setting.
Robot training with random ball.
Multi ball with coach.

I think in 3 months people will avoid my forehand.
They will find my backhand is actually my best shot.LOL

Think you got your clockwise and anticlockwise mixed up Tongue
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2021 at 6:55am
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

I guess you have access to a club atm?

I've been working on shadow swings and general fitness as well as doing lots of yoga. 

For the shadow practice I'm trying to focus on something different each day. Lower stance, weight on toes more, using waist more for FHs, pulling wrist back more on the BH. 

As I started writing this topic I got this sudden sense of deja vu, I'm pretty sure you started the same topic about a year ago and I replied in a similar way... 

Yeah Melbourne is Covid free so we still can play quite easily :) I probably posted something similar being a technique aficionado... I think there's a huge amount to be learnt using shadow practice and it's super effective in ingraining new movement patterns into the brain. 

I feel like my footwork is already significantly better after just doing lots of quick shadow footwork training (basically very high tempo sideways movements, and forward/backward too)... I'm already loving the results so far tho!
-------
Viscaria

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2021 at 8:17am
Right now I´m working on my back. Not my BH but my aching back.
Stretching and relaxing a lot to get back to the table soon.
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2021 at 11:43am
I play at a small table in my apartment complex laundry room...trying to work on my son to serve me short underspin so I can flip short balls with my fh. Yes using my son as a serving machine is not illegal jeje
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2021 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Eric Fountain Eric Fountain wrote:

Carb loading

good one LOLLOLLOL

I am working on my tennis elbow rehabilitation: not playing table tennis (lock down) and using dumbbells to strengthen my forearm.. 
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2021 at 6:29am
trying to improve my close to the table counters against topspin.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
merlin el mago View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merlin el mago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2021 at 6:40am
Trying to improve my close to the table topspin & counters against top spin.
No more political prisoners in Catalonia.
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2021 at 10:51am
Trying to play extra hours to make up for lost time in 2020.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic