FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Suggestions regarding selecting new Equipment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ravi77 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravi77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions regarding selecting new Equipment
    Posted: 12/03/2023 at 1:17pm
Hello everyone 

Need suggestions and valuable advice before selecting the equipment.I am looking forward to carry on and develop my game as  a modern defender much like  Pros an Greats like Ruwen Filus , Gionis Panagiotis and the all time great and my favorite Joo se Hyuk.
I would categorise myself as a low -intermediate player.I play at a local club and take part at times in some district level competitions.I mostly rely on forehand chops and if required chop the ball from backhand and very occasionally loop the ball.I am looking forward to take my game to the next level. 

My current setup is -
Blade - Butterfly Peter korbel 
FH - yasaka rakza 7
Bh- Butterfly rozena

I am looking forward to upgrade the setup to something having a defense oriented approach .Although I am not comfortable using pimples for chopping and looking for an inverted rubber option on both backhand and forehand. I have narrowed down my research to ths 3 setups .please share your valuable advice.Feel free to suggest a new setup. THANKS

POSSIBLE SETUP 1

BLADE - BUTTERFLY DIODE
FH- YASAKA RAKZA 7 SOFT/YASAKA RAKZA 7
BH- BUTTERFLY TACKINESS CHOP 2

POSSIBLE SETUP 2

Blade- Butterfly diode 
Fh- Butterfly tenerogy 05 / tenergy 05 fx

Backhand- victas vs 401 or victas v15

Possible setup 3

BLADE- VICTAS KOJI MATSUSHITA DEF +
FH - victas vs 401 or victas v15
BH - XIOM VEGA EURO

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST A NEW SETUP IF APPLICABLE

Sponsored Links

NBSR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NBSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2023 at 2:16pm
Ruwen, Gionis, and JSH all use long pips on their backhand. The ones you suggested are all double inverted set ups. If you are going to go from a normal size blade to a def blade, your racket will be extremely heavy due to it being oversized so keep that in mind.

I will not go for any Tenergy rubbers are these are generally too fast to chop with (at least especially on the backhand). I would also go with the thinnest sponge you can get if you rely mostly on chopping.

A blade that can also work (and not break the wallet) is Donic Defplay Senso. This blade is rather flexible and cheaper than Victas Koji Matsushita.

If the rubbers you listed are all new to you, I recommend you go to your club and try other people's rackets and see if any of them have good feeling when you chop. At the end of the day, just choose rubbers you are most comfortable with.
Ravi77 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravi77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2023 at 4:02pm
Thanks for sharing your insight. Much appreciated. Will definitely be considering Defplay senso as an option.Although not sure how does it play while being far off from the table 

Any specific reviews the combination of Butterfly Diode V and butterfly tackiness chop 2 on backhand with Minimum sponge with Rakza 7 soft on forehand .

Thanks 

ejprinz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejprinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2023 at 5:19pm
I just switched to modern defense in June and did my homework. I tried 12 different blades and 9 different backhand rubbers (long, medium, short pips, inverted for comparison). My conclusions are as follows:

Coming from short pips backhand (2 years), two-wing looper (1 year) after ~10 years of teenage competitive TT, it took me about 3 months of daily 1-2 hours with machine or colleagues to learn the backhand chop and at-the-table techniques with long pips. All the modern defenders twiddle at least sometimes so you will need to learn 2 sets of techniques on both wings. This is really challenging but interesting.

For the blade, controlled 1150 Hz works best for me in tournaments. This is the Yinhe 980 (cheaper) or 980XX (better, softer top wood), both defender size 5-ply blades but pretty light (84g), or the Victas Swat (normal size, 7-ply, 85g). Fast inner carbon blades work too but not for competition (e.g. Yinhe Pro 05).

I used to use Yinhe Moon or FastArc G forehand, but for some reason switched to DHS H3 Neo 39deg. I could play either way. You have to be able to chop with the forehand so slightly sticky, not too hard rubber works for me. Tenergy would be way too jumpy.

I am better off playing a more forgiving long pips rubber, so for now that's the Nittaku Wallest or Neottec Tokkan or maybe BH RITC 729 755 Mystery III LP Red, 1.0mm, H38. Dawei 388D-1 (0.8mm sponge) works too. I always play the long pips with sponge, 0.8mm to 1.0mm. I like it better than OX (no sponge), maybe because I played short pips so it feels more familiar. Also backhand "top spin" works better with sponge for me. I am not at the point yet where the type of long pips makes a difference. 

The total weight of my defender LP/BH rackets is 174g, and the Victas Swat normal size 167g. For comparison, my DHS B2 dual inverted is 193g. 1mm sponge on LP adds 10-20g compared to OX.

I had to spend some time learning the long pips specific techniques (FH and BH). Both away from the table and at the table. YouTube "TT Defender" shows the techniques at the table. There are a couple of videos for chopping, google "Joo Saehyuk slow motion". For chopping google "Suh Hyo-won Defensive Skills Part 01" and "02".

I don't think you can do modern defense with dual inverted, there is one Japanese person who does it and he can't do a consistent defense against strong topspin so I wouldn't call it "modern defense" (google "Simon Gauzy vs Satoshi Aida"). You sometimes see Simon Gauzy defend but he mostly plays topspin. I think the issue is that due to the much flatter trajectory of the backspin chop (Magnus effect) it is much harder to hit the table against much spin variation, and much more so with inverted spinny rubbers compared to long or medium pips. Also with long pips you can create spin variations by bending the pips. For learning chopping IMHO it is much better to start with 0.8mm sponge long pips as opposed to inverted, because after you have converted depending on your level you'll meet maybe 20% long pips players in tournaments so if you don't know what long pips do to a ball you can't win against them as an inverted defender.

I found that my feeling for the ball has improved tremendously playing a slow racket with long pips on one side, also my chopping technique. I now can win against long pips players (not possible previously) because i know how the game is played. My USATT rating stayed the same after the switch but I am getting much closer to winning with many players. I think chopping is  a lot of fun and a great workout, the footwork covers more distance.

Also a 15-year old modern defender just won the ITTF World Youth Championships 2023, google "sun yang u15". This is how you need to play if you want to be a modern defender.

Edited by ejprinz - 12/03/2023 at 7:26pm
Yinhe 980XX, DHS Hurricane 3 Neo, Nittaku Wallest 1.0mm sponge.
Ravi77 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravi77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2023 at 12:23pm
I really appreciate your detailed feedback regarding this topic.
I am actually looking forward to switch and start playing with long pimples now .Considering the popular long pips options available in India, what among these 3 rubbers would serve as  a good initial learning curve for me 
1.Tibhar grass D techs
2 Fient long 2
3Fient long 3

Also just want to know your opinion very specifically about, will any of these 3 above mentioned rubbers work well with my existing Butterfly Peter korbel blade.if so please specify thickness as well ..considering that I am about to start playing for the first time with long pips .
For forehand I am considering Rakza 7 or DHS H3 neo

Thanks 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic