Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No longer Hinoki outerply on BTY?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No longer Hinoki outerply on BTY?
    Posted: 12/31/2023 at 7:33am
I´m wondering why BTW discontinued former KLH special as well as some other hinoki-cypress japanese outer Hinoki blades such a Jonyer Hinoki, JH Special, or the more recent Kiso Hinoki V-VII. I Particularly did like KLHS due to its lightness and its unique a distinct feeling with provided tons of control and feeling despite being a fiber blade. Apart from Primorac Carbon, hinoki has been vanished for their vast array of blade selection. Sadly, the current mainstream tends to be quite the same: super fast/heavy blades based on Limba or koto outerplys. They indeed claimed to made a breakthrough when it comes to  blade crafting but they barely offer anything from the typical plywood selection. 

Just my two cents. 
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2023 at 2:29pm
The KLH Special/Premium were both awesome, so was the Iolite. The only reason I can think of for letting the outer hinoki go is its higher cost and lesser efficiency at the highest level due to a bounciness that the best players in the world do not want. Koto and limba outer give the more linear response and predictability they need - they have their fitness to answer the call for speed - and club players want to follow what they say. Brands avoid proposing what's not best for top level players.

Most of the average players -the biggest chunk of the market- will follow the leaders and among the remaining ones, too few will go for the more expensive hinoki outer so it's not a market for the big brands. I mean... how many oldies like you and me are outta there? among them, the ones loving hinoki outer still play their 1997 Iolite/KLS. The only good side of customers like us is that they would forget they bought one only to get another LOL.

A collectible limited series to remember the retired best sellers could make sense though, I am sure it's coming but frankly, I'd rather buy a blade made by an independent builder than a wannabe collectible from a big brand.

Edited by stiltt - 12/31/2023 at 2:39pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2023 at 2:32pm
Just for the pleasure https://youtu.be/Xz8dkGjDZXU

Edited by stiltt - 12/31/2023 at 2:32pm
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2024 at 2:18am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Just for the pleasure https://youtu.be/Xz8dkGjDZXU

Looks familiar, is this the one I gifted you? Wink
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2024 at 2:21am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

I´m wondering why BTW discontinued former KLH special as well as some other hinoki-cypress japanese outer Hinoki blades such a Jonyer Hinoki, JH Special, or the more recent Kiso Hinoki V-VII. I Particularly did like KLHS due to its lightness and its unique a distinct feeling with provided tons of control and feeling despite being a fiber blade. Apart from Primorac Carbon, hinoki has been vanished for their vast array of blade selection. Sadly, the current mainstream tends to be quite the same: super fast/heavy blades based on Limba or koto outerplys. They indeed claimed to made a breakthrough when it comes to  blade crafting but they barely offer anything from the typical plywood selection. 

Just my two cents. 

Don't forget Schlager Carbon also.  I believe the discontinuation of the Hinoki is due to its limited quantities since Hinoki wood takes many many years to mature and age into playable condition.  I recall Butterfly used to use 300-year old hinoki to make their high end 1-ply hinoki blades.  Take Darker for example, pretty much all of their superior quality 1-ply hinoki jpens are very difficult to find, due to the very very limited amount of hinoki wood remaining.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2024 at 8:11pm
That’s why Photino continues to be one of my favorite blades.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2024 at 5:26am
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

That’s why Photino continues to be one of my favorite blades.

Just that name Photino alone is worthy to be added into anyone's collection.
hleett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2024 at 4:57pm
Had the BN Iolite Neo, sold it to liulin. Wish I hadn't. Now loving the old metal tag KLHS with beat up edges bought from Japan.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2024 at 12:42pm

Just my two cents. 

The Garaydia series has a hinoki outer ply. I tried my friend's Garaydia ALC and it feels quite nice
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2024 at 8:34pm
was looking into getting this blade, top ply hinoki, but it also got discontinued
https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/joola-rosskopf-emotion-pbo-c
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2024 at 1:19am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Discontinued, too.

Just my two cents. 

The Garaydia series has a hinoki outer ply. I tried my friend's Garaydia ALC and it feels quite nice
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2024 at 4:24pm

If you were trying to post something it seems to have been lost
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2024 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

Just my two cents. 

Don't forget Schlager Carbon also.  I believe the discontinuation of the Hinoki is due to its limited quantities since Hinoki wood takes many many years to mature and age into playable condition.  I recall Butterfly used to use 300-year old hinoki to make their high end 1-ply hinoki blades.  Take Darker for example, pretty much all of their superior quality 1-ply hinoki jpens are very difficult to find, due to the very very limited amount of hinoki wood remaining.

I dont think 300 year old hinoki does exist in butterfly blades. Its marketing to justify high prices.
hleett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2024 at 3:35pm
I dont think 300 year old hinoki does exist in butterfly blades. Its marketing to justify high prices.

Some of them come real close. Heard Japn has a restriction on harvesting kiso hinoki trees with less than 300 years of age. Correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by stiltt - 01/30/2024 at 9:49am
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2024 at 4:21am
They still have 3 outer hinoki shakehand blades:
Primorac Carbon,
Sardius,
Amultart ZL
most recently discontinued:
Garadya ZLC discontinued
Garadya T5000 discontinued
Garadya ALC discontinued
Gergely discontinued

Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2024 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by emihet emihet wrote:

Primorac Carbon,
Sardius,
Amultart ZL
Garadya ZLC discontinued
Garadya ALC discontinued
Gergely discontinued

Sadly, only PC is distributed in Europe. Getting an imported blade could cost you an arm and a leg. 
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2024 at 4:39pm
Looking on Ebay, Schlager Light is also apparently still available from Korea
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2024 at 1:34pm

Originally posted by emihet emihet wrote:

Primorac Carbon,
Sardius,
Amultart ZL
Garadya ZLC discontinued
Garadya ALC discontinued
Gergely discontinued

Sadly, only PC is distributed in Europe. Getting an imported blade could cost you an arm and a leg. 

PC cpen version is more expensive than the shakehand version.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic