Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Daylight Savings (in the USA)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stan1551 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stan1551 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daylight Savings (in the USA)
    Posted: 03/08/2009 at 9:49pm
Canada is the exactly the same, we did "spring forward" today...
proud member of the (not so exclusive) EJ club
Sponsored Links

danhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2009 at 10:27pm
   Daylight Savings is the stupidest idea ever in the history of mankind.   At least for me when I have to get up for work at 4:30 amAngry.
bowebj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowebj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2009 at 10:30pm
well your the stupidest person just imagine if they didnt do it. think about it
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2009 at 11:52pm
It was originally an idea to give the farmers an extra hour of light to work, makes sense.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2009 at 11:59pm
I ve read somewhere that they had plan to introduce more daylight savings break - not just two every year.
acer800 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acer800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 12:07am
I personally hate it too =(
You want A PERSONAL WEBSITE FOR SUPER CHEAP?
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22979&PN=1#269260
esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 2:06am
Originally posted by bowebj bowebj wrote:

well your the stupidest person just imagine if they didnt do it. think about it

what? it would get darker and lighter at slightly different times? big deal. there are many places that don t do it and they haven t exploded yet. it seems to be completely outmoded and we just continue doing it from force of habit.
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

IAmI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAmI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 3:33am
Originally posted by lildudejds lildudejds wrote:

It was originally an idea to give the farmers an extra hour of light to work, makes sense.

Hmm, I thought it was introduced to save lighting electricity in factories.
One way or the other it does make some sense even though a lot of us may not like it.
IFZLC
FH T05 2.1mm
BH O4a max
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 3:40am
i recall turning up for a  football(soccer)match just as the first half was ending as i had forgotten to put the clock forwards,the manager was not impressed and neither was i!
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 3:56am
Originally posted by IAmI IAmI wrote:

One way or the other it does make some sense even though a lot of us may not like it.

I believe the farmer argument is correct since daylight savings was around before lighting bills. I ve heard the electric cost thing before but I m not aware of any factories that operate with open roofs (iron smelts maybe? but they don t really have any lights at all). Correct me if I m wrong but most offices and factories have their lights on all day.
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

IAmI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAmI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 4:10am

I hate to say it but I was right. I just checked Wiki now. I swear I didn t before.

IFZLC
FH T05 2.1mm
BH O4a max
tabl10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabl10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 12:26pm
It doesn t happen in Arizona.
IAmI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAmI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 1:02pm
I guess saving light in Arizona would be like saving snow in Alaska or something LOL

I actually didn t know it wasn t uniform across the US. I m sure Ohio where most of my friends come from has it and in fact I am 90% sure they do it in TX so it s probably nothing to do with AZ being in the south. I may be wrong though...
IFZLC
FH T05 2.1mm
BH O4a max
esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 4:24pm

I hate to say it but I was right. I just checked Wiki now. I swear I didn t before.

Well mostly right: "early goal of DST was to reduce evening usage of incandescent lighting"

Doesn t say anything about factories, but lighting after work hours was a concern. Also interesting that daylight savings is detrimental to farmers and not helpful as most people assume (i remember my grandpa, a wheat farmer, ranting about DST once but was too you to remember if it was good ranting on negative ranting).
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 4:46pm
Just love and hate. I love it when I could sleep one more hour and hate it when I have to wake up one hour earlier. Wink LOL
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by esnift esnift wrote:

I believe the farmer argument is correct since daylight savings was around before lighting bills. I ve heard the electric cost thing before but I m not aware of any factories that operate with open roofs (iron smelts maybe? but they don t really have any lights at all). Correct me if I m wrong but most offices and factories have their lights on all day.

Benjamin Franklin is credited with the idea of daylight saving time.  However, it wasn t implemented in the US until WWI.  People hated it and was rescinded.  It became law for US around 1965.  Arizona and Hawaii do not follow DST as these 2 states opted out of it.  I believe Indiana didn t adopt it until 2005. 

There have been several studies that support energy savings due to implementation of DST and its implementation is related more for that reason and not for farmers getting more time to work the land.
jpingchow123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpingchow123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 5:25pm
So with daylight savings... I forgot to adjust my alarm clock so by the time I woke up I missed half my first class. I decided to go play ping pong at the sports center instead.
Daylight savings isn t that bad lol.
Amultart CS
Bryce Speed 2.1
Tackifire Special Soft 2.1

YEO
Bryce Speed 2.1
Tackifire Special Soft 2.1
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 8:52pm

Daylight savings cannot change the amount of daylight in a day.  If that was the purpose, then it was a pretty dumb idea.  I think the purpose was somewhat different than that.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 9:01pm

I guess saving light in Arizona would be like saving snow in Alaska or something LOL

I actually didn t know it wasn t uniform across the US. I m sure Ohio where most of my friends come from has it and in fact I am 90% sure they do it in TX so it s probably nothing to do with AZ being in the south. I may be wrong though...

Arizona had Daylight savings at one time.  I recall as a kid waiting until after 9:30P at night at the drive-in theater for the sun to set. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 9:04pm
yeah if you check wiki they have a map of the world that indicates which countries currently use DST, which ones did but no longer do, and countries that never have used DST.
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

IAmI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAmI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2009 at 3:30am
Originally posted by stan1551 stan1551 wrote:

Canada is the exactly the same, we did "spring forward" today...

The timing seems to vary a lot. It doesn t happen in Europe until in three weeks time now.
IFZLC
FH T05 2.1mm
BH O4a max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic