Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

how to get better

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
karq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to get better
    Posted: 02/22/2007 at 8:17am
How to get better?I'm like stuck for 1 year now.All my friends are gone better ,but i'm not.I'm practising and practising ,but nothing. where is the problem?Some of my friends havent played tabeltennis that much as I ,but the are still better.

It pisses me of :S
Sponsored Links

shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 8:47am
gotta get a coach =)
or watch training videos, matches, etc and try to learn the strokes, but that's not nearly as effective as getting a coach.
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
ozjan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 9:05am
coach helps, however i am 50/50 there, the thing with a coach is there r some coaches who will want to change ur style according to THEIR own style, and there r coaches who will build on YOUR style.  i recommend watching different pro players training videos, and different pros play, watch a lot of this and take to the one that most closely matches the style u have.  also, a robot helps tremendously to break ruts ur in, or just surpass ur peak, the rate of balls u hit is just too high to compare to standard practice... and will drill strokes into u

i have never recieved caoching yet, because i am comfortable with my technique, even though according to textbook table tennis it may be flawed... this is important to understand... even at the world class level, there r players that have awkward, non-conventional technique, but who r amazing players... best example is schlager, they and others got good by continual practice, over time
that's a rip!

Primorac Carbon
f:Tenergy 05 2.1
b:Tenergy 05 2.1
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 9:13am
you don't mean to tell me that schlager got good by watching videos do you....
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
karq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 9:18am
can anyone give me some video links?
timtex37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timtex37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 9:26am
here is my 2 cent
I have played for 1 year and 3 months now and I can compete and sometimes win against other people who have been playing for more thant 5 to 10 years. I don't have a rating but I have won games against 1700 players.  I never gotten a coach but occasional advised by one.  I think in order to improve, you must first forget about how your friends are better than you.  Start enjoying the game and love it more than your friends.  Ask good players about what they think you are doing wrong when you play.  foucus on the right forms and strokes instead of winning games.  if you do this for a while, you'll for sure get better and improve like me.
CPEN Blade Stiga Optimum Sync | OSP Virtuoso (awaiting)
FH DHS SkyLine 2 Neo | BH LKT Rapid Soft | Shoes Mizuno Wave Drive A
cdtrix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdtrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 9:48am
Originally posted by timtex37 timtex37 wrote:

Ask good players about what they think you are doing wrong when you play.

this way you gain a little bit from everyone  :)

foucus on the right forms and strokes instead of winning games.  if you do this for a while, you'll for sure get better and improve like me.

Best piece of advice. Save the winning when you get better. Until then, work on your technique/stroke/form/footwork.

Most of the people i play with play to win. It's annoying.. they pull all these fancy moves against me when i'm not determined to win. I want to figure out my own moves and perfect my technique but people play cheap to win.

I don't usually have a partner so when i do play it's mostly experimenting or improving myself rather than winning
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 9:57am

here is my 2 centI have played for 1 year and 3 months now and I can compete and sometimes win against other people who have been playing for more thant 5 to 10 years. I don't have a rating but I have won games against 1700 players.� I never gotten a coach but occasional advised by one.� I think in order to improve, you must first forget about how your friends are better than you.� Start enjoying the game and love it more than your friends.� Ask good players about what they think you are doing wrong when you play.� foucus on the right forms and strokes instead of winning games.� if you do this for a while, you'll for sure get better and improve like me.

spot on good post
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
joey5867 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey5867 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 9:59am
The easiest way: find someone that play's a lot better than you.
BLD: NITTAKU Sanalion S
FH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
BH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
timtex37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timtex37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 12:10pm
THANKS for agreeing what what i'm saying,
Maybe that is why I improved so fast that good players and coaches at my club couldn't help but to want to give me advice.  Except that they get a little annoyed when I'm having too much fun enjoying the game and pull off a wrong stroke while they are watching. Wink
timtex37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timtex37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by joey5867 joey5867 wrote:

The easiest way: find someone that play's a lot better than you.

Not the greatest idea.
Here is why,
1. That someone would probably not play with you.
2. Makes you feel sh*tty when that other player beat you easily without effort.
3. When the other player doesn't play for real cause he or she doesn't have to, you lose interest in playing.

It is best to first find someone who are at around your own level so you 2 can hit forever together.  hehe and gain interest and eventually you'll see that you are getting better than find some GOOD for some pointer and occasionally lose to someone who are aliite better than you like the friends that you mentioned.
AND for god sake, enjoy the game! IT is not like you are planning on making a living out of it.  =)

sh*t, i thnk i'm getting too addicted to table tennis.  it is so fun, makes me laugh when I play and i like making my parthner smile too.
PhilsterT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilsterT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by ozjan ozjan wrote:

coach helps, however i am 50/50 there, the thing with a coach is there r some coaches who will want to change ur style according to THEIR own style, and there r coaches who will build on YOUR style.  i recommend watching different pro players training videos, and different pros play, watch a lot of this and take to the one that most closely matches the style u have.  also, a robot helps tremendously to break ruts ur in, or just surpass ur peak, the rate of balls u hit is just too high to compare to standard practice... and will drill strokes into u

i have never recieved caoching yet, because i am comfortable with my technique, even though according to textbook table tennis it may be flawed... this is important to understand... even at the world class level, there r players that have awkward, non-conventional technique, but who r amazing players... best example is schlager, they and others got good by continual practice, over time

If you wouldn't mind: what are you rated? Probably the worst advice I've ever seen on this board.

Find someone better than you, period.
Seattle, WA
karq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 1:12pm
thanks everyone
ozjan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 6:01pm
phil, instead of saying 'worst advice', y dont u elaborate on y that is bad advice.... i am not rated, but have played for 8 years, and beat 2100 players 50% of the time.

that's a rip!

Primorac Carbon
f:Tenergy 05 2.1
b:Tenergy 05 2.1
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 6:09pm
<sarcasm> get better equipment </sarcasm>
agni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2007 at 5:31am
One reason why people dont get better is that train or play without any firm objective , focus .

a)Keep a goal during each training ,and work on those .
b) Identify how you performed & what went wrong in the last practice or game .
c) In next training work specifically on those area for some time .
d) Implement this , find how it went and then identify weak areas and go on this again .

The good point in this is that you can measure your improvements .

For e.g Lets take a scenario

During a hard fought game with a player , I lost the game narrowly . Later I sat down analysing what mistake I made & importantly what I did correctly , and how my training was implemented .

I came to acknowledge that my service returns were short & good , but during my service I did not always play a good 3rd ball . Also I saw that I was missing the wide fh occasionaly .

In next training I worked on the 3rd ball , wide fh and the service apart from working on the normal training schedule .

This helped in improving the game & next time I was able to win 3-1 instead of losing 2-3 against the same guy.
applegreen allplay senso v1

FH yasaka mark v 2.0
BH Sriver FX 2.0

karq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2007 at 7:27am
Originally posted by fatcomet fatcomet wrote:

I use:
blade: Joola cat
frh:joola smart
backh:joola smart

I think I made a wrong choice or the rubbers are to good for me.
I used my friends equpiment and my set's were much better.I playd much better.
My friend has:
stiga classic
frh and backh: donier max rubbers

PhilsterT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilsterT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2007 at 10:41am
Even if you won't get regularly coached there is much to learn about the basics. It's really sad when a player thinks that "there way" is better. It's usually a result of crappy form, which will enable to be okay at a certain level but will not improve.

There are some highly rated players at the club I hit at (sold 1800) but they say, "Don't play like me, my form is crap and I can't get better."

It's important to learn the basics from someone who knows what they're doing. Don't think you can teach your self everything.
Seattle, WA
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2007 at 11:10am
Originally posted by fatcomet fatcomet wrote:

Where was my head in html class when they taught that tag?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2007 at 12:38pm
haha the teach that with its opposite the "serious" tag ie

<srs> that is not national H3 </srs>
micloi View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micloi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2007 at 1:53am
Quote Originally posted by timtex37

here is my 2 centI have played for 1 year and 3 months now and I can compete and sometimes win against other people who have been playing for more thant 5 to 10 years. I don't have a rating but I have won games against 1700 players.  I never gotten a coach but occasional advised by one.  I think in order to improve, you must first forget about how your friends are better than you.  Start enjoying the game and love it more than your friends.  Ask good players about what they think you are doing wrong when you play.  foucus on the right forms and strokes instead of winning games.  if you do this for a while, you'll for sure get better and improve like me.

This is creepy. This is the story of my life you just typed there. I have been playing since Nov 2005 (1 year 3 months) as well, beat players playing for many years in local leagues etc. etc. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic