Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

recieving extreme topspin serve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
p_i_n_g_GO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p_i_n_g_GO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: recieving extreme topspin serve
    Posted: 02/27/2007 at 11:36pm
a guy i play on a regular basis puts me on the defense almost every point with  an extremely strong topspin backhand serve. The ball jumps so much faster off the bounce because of the topspin, it is very hard to read... does anyone have any suggestions on a stroke to return this much topspin?
Sponsored Links

Markus. L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markus. L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 11:39pm
smash it of the bounce
he'll be sorry
Nittaku Acoustic-FL
fh/bh-Almana

BUTTERFLY Timo Boll TriCarbon-FL
fh/bh-Optimum MP

DONIC Waldner Senso Carbon
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 2:51am
simple way is to just touch it back short with slightly closed paddle or smash it. 
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 3:44am
I've dealt with serves similar to the serve your referring to.  DEFFINATELY go with what Kenneyy and markus were saying.  I almost always smash them, works very well.  And aim for a corner, if your confident that you can do it.
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 6:08am
If the serve is any good, trying to smash it is only recommended if you are on a suicide harakiri mission. A good quality topspin serve is so low that a smash is no option. If it's long enough you can play topspin. If it's short I'd try to chop it short (short is more important than low if you place your return on the middle line because your opponent can't easiy attack these balls because the table is in the way) Medium long topspin serves can be flipped, chopped or carefully attacked with an over the table topspin.

If your opponent messes up and his topspin serve is high enough then smash, of course.
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 6:28am
Actually just let your reflexes come to work, you're bound to at least touch the ball if you have been playing for a while, and most of the time you'll play it as if someone had smashed/3rd balled you. Ie, short motion, closed racket face, direct ball over the net (not so much adding too much power).

Gark
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 11:12am
Originally posted by YATTP YATTP wrote:

If the serve is any good, trying to smash it is only recommended if you are on a suicide harakiri mission. A good quality topspin serve is so low that a smash is no option. If it's long enough you can play topspin. If it's short I'd try to chop it short (short is more important than low if you place your return on the middle line because your opponent can't easiy attack these balls because the table is in the way) Medium long topspin serves can be flipped, chopped or carefully attacked with an over the table topspin.

If your opponent messes up and his topspin serve is high enough then smash, of course.

I disagree.  I think you should be able to smash these.  And I totally disagree  with trying to touch chop back the short service topspin.  I mean, it's to difficult and annoying to pull off.  At least to pull off without popping one up.
tthj2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tthj2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 11:30am
If that serve has lot of side spin as well I find it best to side spin loop it back with a short side spin stroke with my fh to work off his initial spin. If it's pure top spin and long a smash could be effective. If it's short try different things.
Ted
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Swiffers Swiffers wrote:

I disagree.  I think you should be able to smash these.  And I totally disagree  with trying to touch chop back the short service topspin.  I mean, it's to difficult and annoying to pull off.  At least to pull off without popping one up.

I'm with YATTP. If all topspin serves were smashable, then the pros would be smashing these, since they are the best. The reality is that if a topspin serve is short and low, you ain't never gonna smash it. Pros use short topspin serves a plenty and don't get smashed.

If you watch Wang Liqin (I think it's him), when a right-hander does a forehand short side-topspin serve, often he returns it with his forehand by keeping a slightly closed angle, and sliding his racket to the left. It's basically a gentle touch return, but he's sliding sideways as he does it. This is sort of hard to describe with words. But in any case, the topspin will put the ball back up just high enough to clear the net, and stay fairly short, maybe barely clearing the end of the table.

I often just touch return them with the backhand, with a closed racket angle. You could also try a backhand flick.

-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 12:23pm
But p_i_n_g_GO please describe the serve more. Is it short and low? Is it long enough to go off the end of the table (which you can then loop)?

-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
AVarun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVarun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 1:04pm

A top level player from Barbados, Robert Roberts has this serve which accelerates as it comes toward you.  Is it best to take that serve early and hit it down, or wait and loop it back strong?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by AVarun AVarun wrote:

A top level player from Barbados, Robert Roberts has this serve which accelerates as it comes toward you.  Is it best to take that serve early and hit it down, or wait and loop it back strong?

My coach always told me to loop everything that comes off the table.

-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p_i_n_g_GO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 1:33pm
Sorry guys, i went to bed shortly after posting this last night. Thanks for the great advice, seems most people think smashing it back is the simple answer. However, this serve is coming after his drop shot serve and with alot of speed, so i can't sit back and smash it all the time because very often he catches me anticipating his short serves. The serve lands mid table, barely leaving the back of the table, but again, with great speed and spin that actually increases the speed of the ball off the bounce. He serves to backhand and forehand with this serve. Mostly, I find it easier to chop the back over the net, and let his topspin do all the work. Sometimes this is affective, but mostly not, because I have to make such a good chop return every time to prevent him from smashing it 3rd ball. With that said, should I still just work on jumping on this serve trying to smash it, which ends in unforced errors most of the time? Or should i just play it safe and try to get a good return defensively, and live to play another swing?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p_i_n_g_GO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 1:35pm
again, sorry, but I have baseball practice so any replies you give for me, might take until 6 for me to get back to, but thanks :). I'll be back in the dorms around that time

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by p_i_n_g_GO p_i_n_g_GO wrote:

Sorry guys, i went to bed shortly after posting this last night. Thanks for the great advice, seems most people think smashing it back is the simple answer. However, this serve is coming after his drop shot serve and with alot of speed, so i can't sit back and smash it all the time because very often he catches me anticipating his short serves. The serve lands mid table, barely leaving the back of the table, but again, with great speed and spin that actually increases the speed of the ball off the bounce. He serves to backhand and forehand with this serve. Mostly, I find it easier to chop the back over the net, and let his topspin do all the work. Sometimes this is affective, but mostly not, because I have to make such a good chop return every time to prevent him from smashing it 3rd ball. With that said, should I still just work on jumping on this serve trying to smash it, which ends in unforced errors most of the time? Or should i just play it safe and try to get a good return defensively, and live to play another swing?

Since it's fast, topspin, landing mid-table, and just falling off the end of the table, I'm concluding that it's a low serve. I do this same serve, to both backhand and forehand sides. If you try to smash, you have nothing to aim for except net and sky. Try blocking it or looping it. Since it's not far off the table, you shouldn't have much trouble with positioning for a loop.

Definitely don't chop. If you're not a chopper, then it's too hard to do consistently, and you have much safer, easier options.

-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 6:39pm

If all topspins can be smashed, then topspin serves wouldn't exist.
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p_i_n_g_GO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 6:41pm
thanks, appreciate everyones help, i had much success today agains his serves kind of building my own idea around all of yours, mostly looping it if it's slow was successful and caught him off guard, and smashing it if he left it high. beat him 3 out of 5 games today, thats a first :-D.
MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2007 at 4:52am
Hit it, and hit it hard. It doesn't even need to be very high, only higher than the net.
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2007 at 7:47am
Originally posted by MildSeven MildSeven wrote:

Hit it, and hit it hard. It doesn't even need to be very high, only higher than the net.

If you can hit it, it's a weak serve. Wink
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2007 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by pimpmyracket pimpmyracket wrote:

I'm with YATTP. If all topspin serves were smashable, then the pros would be smashing these, since they are the best. The reality is that if a topspin serve is short and low, you ain't never gonna smash it. Pros use short topspin serves a plenty and don't get smashed.

If you watch Wang Liqin (I think it's him), when a right-hander does a forehand short side-topspin serve, often he returns it with his forehand by keeping a slightly closed angle, and sliding his racket to the left. It's basically a gentle touch return, but he's sliding sideways as he does it. This is sort of hard to describe with words. But in any case, the topspin will put the ball back up just high enough to clear the net, and stay fairly short, maybe barely clearing the end of the table.

I often just touch return them with the backhand, with a closed racket angle. You could also try a backhand flick.

You may be right on the smashing.  But I'm still confused as to how you could touch chop back a heavy topspin serve, it simply doesn't work. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p_i_n_g_GO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2007 at 3:15pm
chopping back his heavy topspin serve for me is easy, i hardly ever make unforced errors, but it's too passive, and he simply goes balls to the wall on the 3rd ball :(. I guess it just takes practice to chop it back over the net, since this post i vary between chopping it and looping it, keeping him off balance, and it appears to be working.
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2007 at 6:55pm
Chopping short heavy topspin serves needs high amounts of skill. However, these returns are very common amoung better players because they are relatively hard to attack because of the high amount of spin if they are really short.
Boll_rules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boll_rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2007 at 3:57am
Take the ball as early as possible.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic