Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting better at backhand?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheGreatAnimal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGreatAnimal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting better at backhand?
    Posted: 12/01/2007 at 1:05pm
I have been trying to improve my backhand recently but when i work onit for a week or what ever my forehand gets really weak and so the next week ill work on my FH and then my backhand gets worse... Ho wcan i work on one and not get worse in the other?
Sponsored Links

bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2007 at 1:14pm
Work on both.  Don't just put all your focus on one stroke or you will do exacly what you're doing now, taking away from the others.  The motion for doing a backhand is very similar to throwing a frisbee, so if i'm not doing well on that side i think of that motion and make sure it's close to it.  Just keep working on both FH and BH, do drills, and get some help or coaching if it is available. 
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGreatAnimal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2007 at 2:49pm
yea the coaching thing defintly wont happen i dont even belong to a club I just play in my basement every day and on Saturdays my family has matches and tournements so thats the only time i get to play someone else But yea ill defintly start practicing both and not just doing one.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2007 at 3:55pm
Well then since your resources are limited just try to get in as many repetitions and remember the frisbee type motion.  Where are you from?
Clipper CR WRB

PingPangQiu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2007 at 5:31pm
try to stand in a position while playing with family where you will hit more backhands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGreatAnimal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2007 at 9:47pm
I live in Pittsburgh Pa and the i have been wantingto go to a club but i never get to becuase i wrestle and have practice everyday so i cant go until the summer . Ialso dotnknow of any coaches in the area
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2007 at 9:49pm
Well then for the time being just concentrate on your BH at home and then during the summer try to get into the club as much as possible, playing other people with a wide variety of styles will help you a lot.
Clipper CR WRB

sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2007 at 10:45pm
It can help to do what is called "one and one", where you do one fh and then one bh, just have your partner place the ball alternately to your fh then your bh.
Sometimes people change their grip when just focusing on one side at a time, the "one and one" will help to prevent this, and also improve your ability to transition from fh to bh in competition.
YEO

Boost TP
Netherlands '91 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netherlands '91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2007 at 6:36am
I totally agree with Sprite as for the one-and-one exercise!
Therefore you d� need a practice partner though!
Ma Lin Carbon
Globe999/Saviga
Inspirit

Donic Opticon
FH: Bryce
FH: Mambo H
BH: Almana Sound
BH: Sriver

BTY VSG Twist III
Stiga Classic All+
Waldner Senso Carbon
2x Sriver G2
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2007 at 6:44am
take it slow, theres no need to do very quick shots, just get the consitency there, if u feel u can up the pace with little or no error, go for it. otherwise, aim for reps and consistency, which is sooo important in modern table tennis.

we all know kong linghui is very consistent in his shots, fh, bh pushes etc. and u think, how is it that hes able to beat the power players like primorac, ma lin [back in the old days].

yep sure its placement, but this is all through consistency, trying to get the ball on the table, and obviously if its a good ball, just whack that sucker to oblivion.

i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2007 at 7:25am
Very strongly agree with theman on working on consistency.   Work on being able to hit a backhand shot and getting it on the table, not nessesarily a point winning shot right away.

And Bullharrier I also agree.  Before I started going to my clubs I was awful and not able to get better by playing the four or five people I always played. 

When you start playing new more experienced players, your overall game will start to improve.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic