FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 48 Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 48 Review
    Posted: 06/19/2018 at 6:21am
Gewo have been pushing their new Nexxus rubbers hard in the past month - lots of social media activity, pro players posing with packaging, that kind of thing.  I haven't seen a pro actually use them in competition yet, but I'm a fan of Gewo and how they've targeted their products recently so I wanted to give this a bash - Nexxus EL Pro 48 - Black - 2.1mm (Contra have sold out of their initial run of SuperUberMadnessMax unfortunately).

Pictures!  Full-size images are here.

GNELP48 (can we just use P48 from now on?  Ta.) has a bright yellow sponge (the other sponge hardness Nexxus variants have different colours), is obviously ESN made, has medium sponge porosity, looks well made with no blemishes, has a fairly strong smell of whatever treatment ESN is using these days (not the one from the MX-P or Bluefire days - the less "tangy" one doing the rounds over the last few years).

The rubber stack above shows (top-bottom):

Rasanter R47 Ultramax
Omega VII Pro Max
Aurus Prime Max
P48 2.1

They all use the thin topsheet/thicker sponge concept (but my P48 isn't Max of course).  Looking at the pip geometry, P48 is incredibly close to Aurus Prime.  In fact, try as I might, I just can't see any difference at all.

The big visual difference is the topsheet.  R47 and Prime have the very matte-effect topsheet we've seen on many ESN offerings recently.  O7P has something different - almost a wet effect with a rippled appearance.  And P48 is different again - it's a bit shiny, and reminds me a little of old-school ESN topsheets like Rakza 7, Adidas P7, Baracuda.  Somewhere in the middle of that older look and feel and the newer matte appearance of R47/Prime.  Rubbing the topsheet of P48 with my finger even brings out a classic "squeak" noise at low pressure - just like old times.

Uncut weight is 66g which is pretty average for ESN of this sponge hardness these days (probably a touch heavier than O7P).

Cut, glued onto my regular Gewo Königsklasse Karbon blade with Rev3.

Quick bounce test shows extreme grip.  Really very high.  More than the others in the stack above, which is pretty impressive (Aurus Prime is very high in a basic bounce test, so this is promising).

Topspin Drives

P48's basic speed is pretty high.  The whole package feels quite tight - perhaps a tiny bit softer than Aurus Prime but harder, more direct and livelier than R47.  Catapult is a touch lower than Prime but shares Prime's property of having its catapult towards the top end of the gears (upper 1/3 range).  So it's precise, direct, easy to use in basic drills but with a bit of a rush at the top end.  Throw feels medium during drives - predictable, a little higher than R47 (or the Hype KR I have on my BH side).

Looping

Here's where P48 gets interesting for me, and I wouldn't be surprised if the topsheet is the main influencing factor.  While basic drives have a predictable, medium arc, looping has a profoundly high arc.  The difference is stark and was a bit of a shock.  Spin is very high and it's very easy to pick a ball up with spin from below the table.  With the same strokes (meaning mine, of course), R47 stays stubbornly low, Hype KR stubbornly medium-low, O7P flattens out on harder shots, and Aurus Prime becomes hard to handle (a bit wild).  My FH stoke can be brushy, so this suggests that the topsheet works well on thin (but fast) contacts.

All of this makes P48 one of the best ESN rubbers I've used for opening up against backspin, and the patterns of play which lead up to the opener.  YMMV of course - your stroke may give different results.

Short Game

I think most of the current ESN crowd have solid short games, and this is no exception.  They tend to not have that immediate, sharp catapult that older rubbers have (MX-P) so they feel pretty inert over the table in comparison to how much power they generate under load.  P48 is good here - again, a bit easier to handle than Aurus Prime but a bit more lively than R47.  Good for aggressive flicks, easy to keep the ball short on pushes, but perhaps a bit meh when trying to add backspin to a short push.

This touches on the spin sensitivity of P48 - it's surprisingly low until you put the topsheet under load.  P48 has a really interesting way of being easy to handle when dealing with incoming spin at lower speeds (service receive, pushing exchanges, basic blocks), but having big spin when opening up and applying good contact speed.  This made it perform incredibly well when playing against defensive players.

This also had some downsides.  During pushing exchanges, I could only get high backspin if I pushed very aggressively, which also resulted in a pretty long ball.  It was the same on service too - harder to keep the ball short with high spin than any of its peers.  Not impossible to adjust, but I feel it would need work in this area for me.

Overall

The easiest way to wrap this up is to compare to the other rubbers I used over the last few weeks during my sessions with P48.  If you:

- Like R47 for its rock-solid stability during drives but wished it had a higher arc when attacking or when pushed away from the table.
- Like Aurus Prime but it's a bit too fast/powerful at times.
- Want a pretty fast, high-arc, medium-hard rubber without high spin sensitivity in the passive game.

It's too early to tell anything about durability, so shrinkage and topsheet wear is an unknown at this point.  I really want to try this one out in Max as well - Contra list their restock date as mid-July.

I was looking to switch from R47 to Aurus Prime over the summer to get a bit more looping performance for next season, but as of today I feel that P48 is a better option for me.  It's a really good rubber - well done Gewo.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Sponsored Links

GSOM_GSOM11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2018 at 6:42am
Can U please compare the throw of r47, aurus pr and this nexxus to smth well-known, e.g. 05 and 64? Thanks in advance
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2018 at 7:06am
Originally posted by GSOM_GSOM11 GSOM_GSOM11 wrote:

Can U please compare the throw of r47, aurus pr and this nexxus to smth well-known, e.g. 05 and 64? Thanks in advance

These are all well-known rubbers.  Never heard of this 05 or 64 you mention...  Wink

There is always a danger when talking about throw - throw is just the way the rubber responds to my strokes, and it may be different for another player.  But still!  IMO:

R47 <= 64 <<< Aurus Prime <= 05 <= P48

R47 and T64 are pretty close for me - I can get a bit more arc out of R47 with a brush loop, but it's splitting hairs.  The other three are noticeably higher and are very close, although 05 carries more spin (and is much more spin sensitive also).

For me, P48 seems to have the highest throw of a non-tacky rubber I've used for a long time (I remember some weird outliers like Bluefire M3 being higher), but beware my individual experience. 

Edited by AndySmith - 06/19/2018 at 11:24am
achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2018 at 10:39am
R48 or P48 ?
My feedback : http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58844&PN=1#726094
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2018 at 11:25am
Originally posted by achoomai achoomai wrote:

R48 or P48 ?

I confused myself with the abbreviations there.  P48.  Now fixed.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2018 at 12:09pm
Been using the p48 for 3 weeks now, hands down my all time favourite esn rubber yet and also the rubber i think will finally let me switch over from mx-p without having to make any compromises.

The initial few days felt too good to be true, but now 3 weeks down the line the topsheet still looks nice and shiny with only a little wear (whereas the t05 i have on my bh looks super worn, even though my FH rubber usually wears almost twice as fast). On the contrary aurus prime, rasanter etc end up with a shitty looking topsheet after just a week (even though they do play almost the same)

I find that this rubber has the best grip while playing with the abs balls, I always had issues of the ball slipping slightly with older rubbers like mx-p, especially on low deadish balls. Aurus prime, rasanter gen rubber somewhat solved this, but it was difficult creating decent spin without sponge engagement. The p48 creates pretty decent spin even with topsheet only strokes, while you get a really good amount of kick if you engage the sponge even a little.

Andy has already put up a good rvewiw, if anyone has any Q's, I can try and help. For reference, iv used the R47, aurus prime, aurus select and hype kr among the new gen stuff, and ofcourse most of the old gen eh-worthy rubbers. 😁

Edit - here are the pics. I don't usually use tenergy these days, thought I'd give it a try after long.

Edited by nv42 - 06/19/2018 at 12:42pm
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2018 at 12:30pm
Well, that sounds very promising!  Tongue
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2018 at 5:06pm
Thanks for the excellent reviews......
BTW , have you noticed any smell of a booster?
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2018 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

I think so.  It isn't the obvious smell on MX-P, but it has the same kind of smell you get with Aurus Prime, the Rasanters and so on.  Hard to say if that's a booster or just part of the manufacturing process.  I'll chime in if I see any shrinkage over the next few weeks.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2018 at 12:33am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

I think so.  It isn't the obvious smell on MX-P, but it has the same kind of smell you get with Aurus Prime, the Rasanters and so on.  Hard to say if that's a booster or just part of the manufacturing process.  I'll chime in if I see any shrinkage over the next few weeks.

Exactly what I couldn't figure out either, it's just got a light smell which may just be because of the manufacturing process like Andy mentioned, or maybe my sense of smell just sucks, as I couldn't really smell much booster of any of the rubbers other than the mx-p gen.
And I don't think it's boosted because it's almost 4 weeks since I stuck this rubber and it has shown zero drop in spin, speed or feel. Pretty much every new gen rubber(especially the harder sponge ones), mx-p generation onwards have Atleast a slight drop in performance and feel ( start feeling more like a brick) after around 3 weeks or sometimes 2 depending on your usage.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
GabrielTopspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabrielTopspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2018 at 9:48am
Hello have you testet the nexxus xt pro 48 too ?(it should be faster and have a lower throw)

or can someone compare the Nexxus EL 48 with the older gewo hype el pro 47,5 or gewo hype 50 xt pro (very good rubber, softer than you think)
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2018 at 6:47am
I just put a sheet of this on my backup Zetro Quad, which is lighter and slower than my main Zetro Quad. Holly crap this rubber is surprisingly fast. Faster than TO5 and T80. My initial impression is that the throw is quite high and it has a rather long trajectory. I will update more in a few days.
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2018 at 11:39am
Andy, what blade did you use for your review?
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by h0n1g h0n1g wrote:

Gewo Königsklasse Karbon Sieben
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2018 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Originally posted by h0n1g h0n1g wrote:

Gewo Königsklasse Karbon Sieben

Correct!

I started with the Gewo, but I had a really bad league match with the combo where I just couldn't keep the ball on the table.  I moved it to a Nexy Arche which helped a bit, but after another few weeks of using the Nexxus I have to say that I'm putting it to one side.

It has some stand-out properties (the arc and spin on a well-hit loop is quite something), but I've found it too hard to use.  If my timing is slightly off, it seems quite unforgiving for some reason.  Sure, it's fast, but that's not the end of it - I find it hard to maintain the right kind of ball contact.  If I get the contact angle/speed wrong, I find the net or the ball goes long.  In that sense it seems quite demanding, and probably beyond my skill level.

I've started to put some hours into Omega 7 Asia now and while that's just as fast, it seems much more forgiving when I don't get good contact on the ball.  Ultimately, I should just go back to my usual R47 because I play better with it.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2018 at 3:05pm
Been 3 months since I started using the ep48 and it's still going strong. Very low reduction in spin and speed and the best thing is it doesn't feel like a brick, which is what happens with most of the new hard esn rubbers. The thing that some people may not like is -since its a hard and fast rubber, you need to get the bat angle closed enough and yet get a little bit of the sponge engaged or else only using the topsheet sometimes might send the ball to the net, however this seems to be the case with pretty much every hard esn rubber.

Also replaced the dead t05 on my bh with a ep43 and it feels much better. If you want a'loud' fast and bouncy that can create pretty good spin+ kick, the ep43 is a pretty good choice, it can even work on the FH for many. The one thing i dint like about the ep43 is that I can't seem to get enough bite with soft topsheet only loops, the ep48 is much better (even though its not that great at it either) at it, so I might get with that on both sides. Also, this rubber feels pretty light for the performance it offers.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2018 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by nv42 nv42 wrote:

The thing that some people may not like is -since its a hard and fast rubber, you need to get the bat angle closed enough and yet get a little bit of the sponge engaged or else only using the topsheet sometimes might send the ball to the net, however this seems to be the case with pretty much every hard esn rubber.

This could well be it.  I may have become lazy with my stroke after using softer topsheets for a while.

For players with well-grooved technique, it's going to be a top rubber.

ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2018 at 8:35pm
Everyone keeps talking about the hardness of this rubber. Its a fair bit softer than Genesis ii M. It doesn't really feel all that hard to me and certainly nothing like a brick. .
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2018 at 4:27am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Everyone keeps talking about the hardness of this rubber. Its a fair bit softer than Genesis ii M. It doesn't really feel all that hard to me and certainly nothing like a brick. .

The Nexxus sponge is pretty standard ESN 48 degree, but the topsheet feels pretty stiff and tight, so it gives the impression of being relatively hard when compared to its peers (unlike Omega 7 Pro, which feels much softer for example).

It's trickier to compare directly to Genesis II, being more of a tacky, chinese-made hybrid type.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2018 at 7:31am
I haven't played any ESN rubbers for awhile. Before Genesis II M, I was using T05. The last ESN rubber I used was Rasanter R42, but it's difficult to compare since I used that on my backhand. I'm using the Nexus on my FH. I actually don't think I've ever played any ESN 47 or 48 hardness rubbers, so it's again difficult for me to compare. When I think of hard rubber, I think of something like Xiom Tau or Spinart, which both feel like bricks to me. This still feels fairly dynamic and it's not that difficult to get the sponge working.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2018 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

The thing that some people may not like is -since its a hard and fast rubber, you need to get the bat angle closed enough and yet get a little bit of the sponge engaged or else only using the topsheet sometimes might send the ball to the net, however this seems to be the case with pretty much every hard esn rubber.

This could well be it.  I may have become lazy with my stroke after using softer topsheets for a while.

For players with well-grooved technique, it's going to be a top rubber.

Yep, you don't have to worry too much abt having an open bat angle with most soft esn rubbers since they usually produce tighter trajectories. However, the ep48 sponge is pretty darn easy to engage once you really get used to the rubber, I would say trying it on a stiffish med-throw blade should help a bit. Or else, you can always try the ep43.

Edited by nv42 - 09/06/2018 at 1:55pm
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2018 at 7:46pm
Our club is Gewo sponsored and we had the opportunity to test all the new Gewo stuff.
I didn't really try much, except the ELP48 and the Hype XT Pro 50 on the new Bence Majoros and Alvaro Robles Blades. I would say the ELP48 is a very good rubber, arc is quite good, high enough even on those fast hard 7plys with low throw. Grips the abs ball really well. It's quite fast, but control is not bad.
The throw is lower than of the Hype XT though, that one has ridiculous high throw and felt a bit softer despite the sponge hardness. The blades btw are both rather uncontrollable for amateurs IMO, especially Bence is super fast and super hard.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2018 at 9:08pm
I've been playing the this rubber on my forehand for about two weeks. It's hands down my favorite rubber that I've used up until now. I agree with everything the previous posters have said. It grips the ball extremely well. Very spinny, quite fast, amazing control. Short game is excellent. It does have a bit of catapult, but rubber is quite linear once you get used to it.  My consistency has went up significantly since I started using Nexxus El Pro 48. 

Over the last week, I started beating some players that I hadn't beaten in the past. A few people started asking what rubber I was using now. I showed it to them and none of them knew what it was. I haven't seen anyone else around Ho Chi Minh City playing any Gewo rubbers. It just isn't a popular brand here. When they looked at the brand name, I think they just assumed it was just some cheap brand. Their faces kind of looked baffled. lol I asked them if they wanted to give it a try and all of them were very surprised after using it. Everyone wanted to know how much it costs and where they could get it. lol  
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 12:47am
^Looks like you need to change your tag then, Eric!
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 12:50am
If durability wasn't a concern, ppl can get confused between the ep48 and mxp, both have strengths and tradefoffs with respect to how they play, but the ep48 wins hands down in terms of durability. Kinda have a hunch that the new hexer grip and pgrip are andros version of the nexxus line.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Nightsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 1:43am

If durability wasn't a concern, ppl can get confused between the ep48 and mxp, both have strengths and tradefoffs with respect to how they play, but the ep48 wins hands down in terms of durability. Kinda have a hunch that the new hexer grip and pgrip are andros version of the nexxus line.

Not really. Andro's eqiuvalent of Nexxus is Rasanter, i.e. thin topsheet on a thick sponge (max = 2.3 mm). Hexer Grip and Powergríp follows a more traditional line with a regular topsheet and a sponge thickness of max 2.1 mm. Topsheet of Hexer Grip and Powergrip is made of 100% natural rubber, so durability should be very decent...
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 6:25am
So the hexer line don't have a thin topsheet on a thick sponge? The nexxus topsheet felt similar to the older gen esn rubbers (transparent and grippy) compared to all the new gen opaque /matt topsheets. The gewo hype kr feels like a rasanter equivalent, similar topsheet and playing feel.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Nightsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 7:17am

So the hexer line don't have a thin topsheet on a thick sponge? The nexxus topsheet felt similar to the older gen esn rubbers (transparent and grippy) compared to all the new gen opaque /matt topsheets. The gewo hype kr feels like a rasanter equivalent, similar topsheet and playing feel.

See, it is about the concept we are talking about here. How a specific rubber feels or looks like is irrelevant in that context. The concept of thin topsheet/ thick sponge (Andro Rasanter, Donic Bluestorm etc.) vs. "regular" rubbers (Evolution, Tenergy, Hexer etc.)! Thin topsheet relative to the max. sponge thickness I should mention...
The brands decided to counter the speed loss by the plastic ball by increasing the thickness of the sponge, but since a rubber is only allowed to be 4mm thick at maximum, it means that the topsheet has to be thinner...
Andro started this concept with the introduction of Rasanter, Tibhar and Donic followed up with Aurus Prime/Select and Bluestorm respectively. Some time later Joola introduced Rhyzer 48 and 43. And now Gewo introduced their version. All of these rubbers are produced by ESN in Germany and all are marketed by the different brands like Andro, Donic, Gewo etc. as having a thin topsheet and thicker sponge (up to 2.3 mm).
If the new Hexer Grip and Power Grip would be part of that concept, the rubbers would also be available in ultramax (or whatever you wanna call it) of 2.3 mm. But they are only available in 1.7, 1.9 and 2.1 mm, hence they cannot be part of that line of products. And again: it is not important in that context how Hexer Grip/Powergrip or Hype KR feel or look like; it is just a fact that they are not following that kind of (production) concept like Nexxus, Rasanter etc.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Nightsky Nightsky wrote:

See, it is about the concept we are talking about here. How a specific rubber feels or looks like is irrelevant in that context. The concept of thin topsheet/ thick sponge (Andro Rasanter, Donic Bluestorm etc.) vs. "regular" rubbers (Evolution, Tenergy, Hexer etc.)! Thin topsheet relative to the max. sponge thickness I should mention...
The brands decided to counter the speed loss by the plastic ball by increasing the thickness of the sponge, but since a rubber is only allowed to be 4mm thick at maximum, it means that the topsheet has to be thinner...
Andro started this concept with the introduction of Rasanter, Tibhar and Donic followed up with Aurus Prime/Select and Bluestorm respectively. Some time later Joola introduced Rhyzer 48 and 43. And now Gewo introduced their version. All of these rubbers are produced by ESN in Germany and all are marketed by the different brands like Andro, Donic, Gewo etc. as having a thin topsheet and thicker sponge (up to 2.3 mm).
If the new Hexer Grip and Power Grip would be part of that concept, the rubbers would also be available in ultramax (or whatever you wanna call it) of 2.3 mm. But they are only available in 1.7, 1.9 and 2.1 mm, hence they cannot be part of that line of products. And again: it is not important in that context how Hexer Grip/Powergrip or Hype KR feel or look like; it is just a fact that they are not following that kind of (production) concept like Nexxus, Rasanter etc.

You forgot one thing, the mic drop. LOLLOLLOL
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 10:04am
So, I'm almost sold and want to give this rubber a try on my FH but I'm just a bit put off by the idea that if I'm not a max-sponge kindaguy then I'm not really benefiting from everything this rubber has to offer...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic