Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grip issues. Epiphany!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 7:26pm
If you refer to hinge as in swinging door motion of the wrist, then what you guys are saying makes a bit more sense.  Hinge movement should never be used to produce power.  You can hinge and unhinge to change the angle of the shot to add sidespin, but your wrist is not a fulcrum.  Wrist should almost always be used as minor adjustment for angles and pressure on the ball.

There's way too much terminology getting thrown around here.  I want to make sure we are on the same page.  How upright you hold the blade has nothing to do with fh or bh oriented gripping.  This is way too complicated to explain with words; I much much rather show you with webchat or something instead...
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Sponsored Links

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 7:30pm
what he said =D
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 7:30pm
Tuan, where is this 4th day tinarc vid?

I think all your points are correct except for maybe upright grip.  It is quite upright, but I think it should be the least of his worries as his major mechanics are the real flaws.

Got facebook icontek?
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 7:33pm
pm'ed it to you since it's a private listing.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 7:45pm
Yup, I can confirm that everything you said was right Tuan.

Icontek, everything that both Tuan and I have comment only applies to your fh.  I won't start on your bh yet as the mechanics are obviously very different and you need to fix one thing at a time anyway.  I already spent about 3 days  completely changing my bh to a pure loop that can be full utilized over the table in matchplay.  I can only describe it as very Ma Long-like. Big smile
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

I noticed that the more relaxed my grip, the easier it is to hit the forehand with a variety of grips depending upon the circumstances. Today, it was more relaxed than normal and like you I was experimenting with a variety of different shots. Certainly looping is much  easier with a relaxed grip. I was practicing recovering into the neutral ready position and then fluidly moving into a forehand loop or drive by turning my hips first and allowing everything else to follow. Relax, relax, relax .... 

I actually used to do this, but I found out that the deeper I grip my bat, the more control and spin I get out of my loops and pushes. Maybe it's just me but i hate loose grips now...coz i can't "feel" the ball in my palm.

There are definitely different ways to impart spin and speed. What I rely on is speed and touch which comes from the relaxed grip as well as a relaxed body. You can see in this video how relaxed and low Waldner holds his racket as well as the unique racket arc that follows:

Noticed the very relaxed wrist. It takes time to develop but a relaxed body that winds up and unwinds rapidly as a unit (including the arm and wrist) because it is relaxed can impart a tremendous amount of speed and spin. But as Ovtcharov said in a recent interview, it all requires patience, patience, patience. Also, one must have some idea of how to go about developing a relaxed body and technique. This is difficult to teach so it has to be self-learned. 

In fact, the #1 instruction I give to all my friends who I introduce to the game is never tense up. Always keep very relaxed. It really helps them feel the ball and develop a very nice rhythm. For example, recovery is very natural because the whole body naturally drops into a ready position. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 8:26pm
WLQ is pretty relaxed when he hits fh.  Don't know how you think he is tense.  The only time he does tense is right at contact which Waldner also does.  Maybe it is less apparent as Waldner isn't stand 6ft behind the table with non-speed glue and 40mm ball.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

WLQ is pretty relaxed when he hits fh.  Don't know how you think he is tense.  The only time he does tense is right at contact which Waldner also does.  Maybe it is less apparent as Waldner isn't stand 6ft behind the table with non-speed glue and 40mm ball.

Yes, I agree with you. I apologize for my wording. What I was attempting to say is that the two techniques (WLQ and Waldner) are very similar. 

One can do amazing things with the racket if the body is relaxed and, as you say, tenses up just at the moment of impact. The amount the player may tense up depends upon the shot. I love wacking at the ball with my backhand as my body unwinds smack into the ball and deliver the speed and force by exploding my wrist at the moment of impact. It is a great feeling. :-) It is exactly the same as martial arts technique. The only difference is that the ball instead of the human is the receiver of the force. This is more appropriate for my personality. :-)
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 8:42pm
the beginning of your swing will always be relaxed. the most important part that i'm being reminded constantly on is that the swing should be a sudden acceleration, not a constant speed swing (chops yells at me for it [cry])

that sort of swing will help with "impact". 
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 8:42pm

It is exactly the same as martial arts technique. The only difference is that the ball instead of the human is the receiver of the force. This is more appropriate for my personality. :-)
LOLLOLLOLLOL
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
jinlai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinlai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2012 at 1:19am
Hi everybody,
Would appreciate if someone could post images of the top 10 shakehand players on how they grip their blades showing both the front and back of their hands/blades (I am not interested in the brands/models). I am sure this will be of great help to all players who are new to this game.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2012 at 2:07am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

It is exactly the same as martial arts technique. The only difference is that the ball instead of the human is the receiver of the force. This is more appropriate for my personality. :-)
LOLLOLLOLLOL

I don't know what martial arts you guys have been practicing, but with my style of fighting, when I start swinging the ball(s) is(are) always a possible target LOL
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2012 at 2:42am
Snake or monkey style will do the job.
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2012 at 3:05am
 More precisely : that point of a trajectory , in which will be a ball at the moment of contact with a racket.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2012 at 10:36am
Originally posted by jinlai jinlai wrote:

Hi everybody,
Would appreciate if someone could post images of the top 10 shakehand players on how they grip their blades showing both the front and back of their hands/blades (I am not interested in the brands/models). I am sure this will be of great help to all players who are new to this game.

I think if you watch the videos you will find that many (maybe all) of the top players are constantly adjusting their grips depending upon the type of shot (serve, push, drive, sidespin, loop, etc.). The racket is held very loosely in their hands and they are constantly adjusting. 
jinlai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinlai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2012 at 11:14am
Thank you, richrf. I noticed most European players are using the shallow grip and most Chinese players are using the deep grip, am I right?
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2012 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by jinlai jinlai wrote:

Thank you, richrf. I noticed most European players are using the shallow grip and most Chinese players are using the deep grip, am I right?

Hi,

I will try to explain in words what most of the top players are doing, especially the Chinese since the Chinese I believe have a very different understanding of the game than you might find in other countries.

The top players are not choking up on the handle. they are resting their hands very comfortably on the handle. The V between the index finger and thumb are not choking up on the head of the racket. It is resting lower so that the head position can be easily rotated if necessary. Everything is relaxed. Not spaghetti relaxed however. As a shot is prepared, the racket is adjusted. You will often see this happening when  players switch from backhand to forehand but even forehand and backhand positioning changes depending upon the desired angle of contact, type of spin, height of ball, type of contact (brushing or direct), etc. If a player is choking up and holding the racket tight, these type of quick adjustments are very difficult if not impossible. You can observe Wang Liqin, Waldner, Samsonov, Ma Long, etc. during slow motion videos and you will get the idea.

Many players decide to choke up on the blade and hold it tighter because it gives them a more direct feeling of the ball when they hit it. However, learning you to hold the racket in a more relaxed manner and only pressing thumb and index finger on contact, allows greater fluiding, greater racket speed, ability to use the wrist, as  well as more options. 

This is not something that you can willfully learn. The only thing you can really think about is staying relaxed and over time building body memory and body intelligence. Then allow the natural body intelligence to choose the shot and position of the racket. It is like a basketball player who over time naturally learns how to shoot that ball into the basket. It is not something that is measured and calculated. The body develops an intelligence that does it automatically. But you will notice that all top players in all sports are usually very relaxed. 

Hope this helps.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2012 at 10:03pm
A forehand orientated grip has the grip rotated forward in your hand so that the highest pressure points of the handle in your hand are edge to edge rather than all the flat surfaces of the handle on the flat surfaces of your hand. Backhand is the other way around so that the blade has more angle on backhand strokes and less angle on the forehand. The stronger the player you are the more angle you can play so it obvious that you will play with more angle on your strongest side (or adjust your grip between strokes to play large angles from both sides) 
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2012 at 10:07pm
Here is a great video featuring Oh Sang Uhn (a great person to model a game after) illustrating the nature of a relaxed grip and how it can be usefully deployed to execute forehand and backhand flicks:

Edited by richrf - 01/22/2012 at 10:08pm
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 11:31am

Here is a great video featuring Oh Sang Uhn (a great person to model a game after) illustrating the nature of a relaxed grip and how it can be usefully deployed to execute forehand and backhand flicks:

Cool! I enjoyed that.  Oh Sang is one of the most relaxed players and has some of the best flicks in the world.

Edited by zrrbiteDK - 01/23/2012 at 11:32am
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 11:37am
Originally posted by zrrbiteDK zrrbiteDK wrote:

Cool! I enjoyed that.  Oh Sang is one of the most relaxed players and has some of the best flicks in the world.
Glad you enjoyed it. I keep reviewing the video to capture the image in my mind. He is very relaxed and uses his whole body in a very subtle way to coax the ball over. 

Edited by richrf - 01/23/2012 at 11:38am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic