Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

grunting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: grunting
    Posted: 02/05/2007 at 1:13am
hey ppl, when i play my topspin shots, i tend to have a habit of grunitng, like saive or primorac. When i grunt, it helps with my timing and placement of ball?

Who grunts and who thinks it is just  a waste of breath?
and who thinks otherwise?

opinions please.
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Sponsored Links

PhilsterT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilsterT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2007 at 1:17am
To me, grunting is similar to stomping: it helps hide the sound of the ball and distracts your opponet. I feel it's fine to a certain degree. Don't just howl to be a showcase like Serena...
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2007 at 1:22am
hahahahah, yeh i guess. i dont grunt like a sharapova, just say like a.. timo boll. is that acceptable?
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

PhilsterT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilsterT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2007 at 2:47am
Yeah. Just make sure to balance your game with your player etiquette. The game's now always about winning (as many pros have displayed, ie, giving up serves...), but rather playing fairly. I'd say if your opponent asks you to tone it down, then I'd try to.

I don't really see it as a problem though, many people do it.
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2007 at 9:02am
Be careful that you dont have a certain system of grunting though, for example I know a player who used to stomp only when did a specific serv. That way I would know excactly what to do when he stomped, and it took him quite a while to quit the stomping ^^
Ksix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2007 at 5:57pm
Lol... one guy at my club makes a whisting sound everytime he loops. So... yes... it is alright to grunt.
わが青春に悔なし
leoniedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leoniedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2007 at 7:55pm
I find it's annoying
Rodey_Maggot View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodey_Maggot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2007 at 8:04pm
it's...nothing..anoys...
DONIC Waldner Carbon Senso
FHDONIC
Gallardo Power Sound
BHDONIC
Coppa JO Silver
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 12:57am
I grunt all the time, usually when I am going for a clean winner.  In tennis, I grunt on every first serve, and also when going for a clean winner.  It just helps me really unwind on the ball.  There have been times in tennis where my first serve percentage dropped as I got tired, and grunting helped me put a little extra energy into my motion to overcome this. 

I can see how it would get annoying if someone in tt grunted on every single shot.  It would be pretty absurd to grunt on a little push or something.
FAMERICAAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FAMERICAAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 1:30pm

My trainer said that grunting makes you play the ball a little faster, its because you're breathing out so you put all your power in to that spin underspin side spin Whatever... it aint nothing it really good/better

The Speed and Spin 'Controles'me
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 1:57pm
grunting (well, not really grunting, grunting is just a side effect of holding in the breath and then letting it go at a specific moment) helps timing and power. 
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 3:21pm
Once I had this guy grunting at every loop. At the end it started to be much annoying. I chose my moment and once I had a very soft push to do I made a huge grunt. The guy lost the ball and the match. He didn't shake hands, I wonder why...?
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 5:50pm
I played against a good chineese pen hold player - he may be in his 60s. Every time he misses a smash, he says AYO in chineese and sreams like a lion. I don't have a problem with that. But things like making noise every stroke, also making comments like I"M MAD, I"M GOING TO COME BACK AND WIN etc.. has caused me grief.
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2007 at 2:29am
Originally posted by jcdi jcdi wrote:

Once I had this guy grunting at every loop. At the end it started to be much annoying. I chose my moment and once I had a very soft push to do I made a huge grunt. The guy lost the ball and the match. He didn't shake hands, I wonder why...?

LOL  Very nice!  I would have loved to have seen that when it happened.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic