FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Guidelines for spotting fakes!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guidelines for spotting fakes!
    Posted: 03/08/2014 at 2:36am
If we can have the mod put this thread as a permanent thread, then this will help many buyers/sellers to spot fake paddles.

Typical areas to notice of possible counterfeit Butterfly blades are:

1. handle color variations.  Authentic - light.  Counterfeit - Darker color
2. shoulders.  Authentic - shoulders are just "right".  Counterfeit - shoulders a lot narrow when it meets the handle.
3. Finishing.  Authentic - smooth.  Counterfeit - rough, especially around the handle
4. Plies.  Authentic - plies are clearly shown.  Counterfeit - plies are all jumbled up.
5. Serial #on box.  Authentic - w/ serial.  Counterfeit - w/o serial
6. JTTAA letterings.  Authentic - black and stands out from the plies in the background.  Counterfeit - lettering slightly faded, colors of the letters are the same as the ply colors.
7. Weight.  Authentic - usually fall between the average weight.  Counterfeit - most if not all counterfeits are significantly heavier by at least 10 grams on average
8. Bounce test - grab a real one and compare the bounce, frequency, and feel of the purchased one.
9. Low price. Authentic - no frills, no discounts, just the right price.  Counterfeit - Cheaper than a KFC meal

Anyone else have other areas of identification is more than welcomed to add to the list, thanks.

Edited by liulin04 - 03/08/2014 at 7:54pm
Sponsored Links

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 3:25pm
Any other tips to help spot fakes?
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 3:31pm
Low price
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 3:57pm
Those guidelines work only if you buy in person.

Price of knockoffs is not as indicative as it used to be. Some dubious retailers on taobao have started sticking on price tags comparable to the genuine ones and there is no way to tell from images of the authentic items they put up.

So if you get your stuff online, buy from reputable retailers.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
bros View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Low price

+1
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 7:54pm

Low price

Good tip, added
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 8:19pm

Low price
Warning!! Warning!! they may start offering pricey fakes !!
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Shahran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shahran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 8:44pm
This is not a wise post...
I will tell you why based on my honest opinion.
Why? you might ask....
Because Copy cats would look at your post and will be smarten up and their copying, faking or counterfeiting techniques would get better and they will not quit and will get better to scam innocent people even more.
I know, even I'm from a small country, what or from where not to order online.
Your post doesn't & will not help others EXCEPT counterfeiters.

Without worldly desires the heart is at ease; With a Calm heart you can have real peace.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Shahran Shahran wrote:

Why? you might ask....
Because Copy cats would look at your post and will be smarten up and their copying, faking or counterfeiting techniques would get better and they will not quit and will get better to scam innocent people even more.

We can let the rest of the forum members decide whether to keep or delete this post.  I see your point, but this is the best way I can think of to teach new comers how to identify counterfeits.
tron52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tron52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Shahran Shahran wrote:

Why? you might ask....

it is a wise post in my opinion, there's no other way to address this issue other than exposing them to the public and forums, if fakers will get around it, then let them, they will be exposed no matter what and how they will do it, in the end, they will be running out of options...

and may i add, exposing them will not only educate buyers, this might also call the attention of original makers/suppliers to improve their product not be copied easily...

just my two cents opinion... 
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon/Gold LIDU/T64
Nittaku Latika Carbon/RakzaX/T80
JM SZLC (on the shelf)
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 1:04am
Leave the post here, if you buy direct from official dealers you wont get fakes. Just knowing fakes exists is all you need to know. Don't buy Euro,Swedish or Japanese blades from China or from backyard sellers and everything will be fine

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic