Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hao shuai lefthandedness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hao shuai lefthandedness
    Posted: 04/16/2006 at 4:27pm

hao shuai writes with his righ hand
http://newspic.sina.com.cn/display.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.sina.com.cn%2Fo%2Fp%2F2005-05-03%2F23381540873.shtml&p=http%3A%2F%2Fimage2.sina.com.cn%2Fty%2Fo%2Fp%2F2005-05-03%2FU1157P6T12D1540873F44DT20050503233803.jpg&k=%BA%C2%CB%A7&num=527
Sponsored Links

ss2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ss2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2006 at 4:57pm
I once heard some players in China were forced to use left hand because there are lack of left-handed players. Chen Jing, who played for Taiwan in 1996 Olympic, was a lefthand player, but eat and writes with her right hand.
SS
alink91 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alink91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2006 at 5:35pm

Originally posted by ss2000 ss2000 wrote:

I once heard some players in China were forced to use left hand because there are lack of left-handed players. Chen Jing, who played for Taiwan in 1996 Olympic, was a lefthand player, but eat and writes with her right hand.

where did you here that from?

Wangerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wangerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2006 at 6:57pm
I think its the other way around. Chinese people are forced to write with their right hand because that is the ideal way. So Hau Shuai is left handed but forced to write with his right hand in school.

I know this because my grandpa was forced to write with his right hand even though he uses his left hand for everything else. However I don't know if they're still doing that in China because that was long ago.
sidespinner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2006 at 7:05pm

From the Chen Jing chapter in the book Table Tennis Legends:

"When I was seven my parents wanted me to learn dancing or the violin, but my physical education teacher suggested sports instead, table tennis, and the suggestion was accepted.  I was not a lefthander, but he persuaded me to play with my left hand, because lefthanders pose greater problems to their opponents.  I had some difficulties in the beginning, but I did not give up, and later on I saw that lefthanders were indeed much more embarassing."

GantZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GantZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2006 at 10:22pm

I would not doubt that China would do something like this, but I have a friend here in the states who plays table tennis with his left-hand, writes with his right-hand, uses chopsticks with his left-hand, and dribbles basketball with his right.  He certainly wasn't forced to do any of this stuff a certain way, and I am still amazed that he can do these things.  I do not think he is totally ambidexterous, but some wierd form of "selective" ambidexterous.  It still wierds me out to this day, as I think he should choose a dominant hand and stick with it.

Equipment:
Petr Korbel
Sriver EL
jc48573 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc48573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2006 at 10:58pm
i play left and right hand. 
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra, Primorac 2000 CS (traditional only)
FH: Globe 999/999T
BH: Sriver-D13-L, Sriver EL (RPB)
GantZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GantZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2006 at 11:19pm
Equally well or just you can play with both.?
Equipment:
Petr Korbel
Sriver EL
sidespinner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2006 at 12:30am

Grubba, who started playing table tennis as a lefty, would sometimes switch racket hands in the middle of a point.

faux123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faux123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2006 at 3:04am
In China, they still teach you to write right handed even if the student is left handed.  It just the way it is in China.  Some of my friends are left handed but always writes with their right hand.
FH: Joola Tango Extreme 2.1
BH: DHS G888 2.0
Blade: Yasaka Extra FL
TriPPPy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriPPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2006 at 3:18am
grubba was ambidexterous. im a lefty and when i was a kid my parents tried to make me be right handed but im to stubburn for that haha. oh and if anyone ever was raised by nuns they like smack your hands if your try to do anything left handed. i dont get why being left handed is like such a bad thing.
Wangerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wangerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2006 at 3:36am
Originally posted by TriPPPy TriPPPy wrote:

grubba was ambidexterous. im a lefty and when i was a kid my parents tried to make me be right handed but im to stubburn for that haha. oh and if anyone ever was raised by nuns they like smack your hands if your try to do anything left handed. i dont get why being left handed is like such a bad thing.

Because using your right hand is the "right" way. haha
jc48573 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc48573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2006 at 5:23pm
i've been playing leftie cause i injured my right arm before due to an accident i had so i forced myself to play leftie until my right arm feels like new again. 
jc48573 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc48573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2006 at 5:24pm
it's been like this for like a year or so. 
Pip Master View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2006 at 5:40pm
lol my coach sometimes changes hands in the middle of the point
TriPPPy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriPPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2006 at 3:55am
Originally posted by Wangerman Wangerman wrote:

Originally posted by TriPPPy TriPPPy wrote:

Because using your right hand is the "right" way. haha

well if you say that, the right side of the brain controls your left side so if your left handed your thinking *right* and if your right handed i guess your not haha.
holoclothes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holoclothes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2006 at 7:19am
yeah but people don't see it that way and if you were left handed during the McCarthy era they might have just branded you a communist.
"If I had a gun, there'd be no tomorrow"
BLADE: Yasaka Neptune
FH: Yasaka New Era
TriPPPy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriPPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2006 at 12:50am
^hahaha.
-ljl- View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -ljl- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2006 at 12:01pm
the warm up match between hao shuai and chen qi for WTTC 2006.. they sign using their right hand
Blade:Yasaka Gatien Extra
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2006 at 1:23pm
grubba played handball as a kid. So did I.Its almost like squash with bare hands, its normal to use left and right hands to play fh. In my school probably 70% would play handball with both hands, but you would get to know some had a weak hand. Strangely The school champ in my last year played left handed only, so he had to make bh with his left to compensate. He was incredibly fit with great ball sense
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
plazm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plazm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2006 at 3:42am
This is an interesting post.
I'm also left handed but I eat and write with my right.
For anything sports related, I use my left hand. TT and baseball, etc.
I grew up in Korea and I was forced to use my right hand by my grandmother.
I guess it's all simillar in the east asian countries.
midway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2006 at 12:06pm

I came from china when i was a kid, and in my hometown in china people care alot about which hand the children use to hold their chopsticks. They will smack them on their hand if they use left hand. The explaination I got was because when alot of ppl eat dinner together, they sit around a round table so if everyone is right handed, the spacing between hands are good. But if some are lefty and some are right handed, the spacing becomes uneven and looks alittle strange, and elbows tend to hit each other on smaller tables, which the parents will be ashamed if their kids do this when they go to dinner with other ppl.

lifewire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifewire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2006 at 12:54am

Do you think this is China is the 50's? Do you think that people who eat dinner together cant afford getting a bigger table with more space? Hahahaha... It's funny how white washed Chinese get when they go abroad. It seems that they actually start to believe the stereotypical myths that permeate a anglosaxon driven society.

It's guys like you who think that  taiwan and hong kong are actually countries. LOL

midway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2006 at 3:31am
Originally posted by lifewire lifewire wrote:

Do you think this is China is the 50's? Do you think that people who eat dinner together cant afford getting a bigger table with more space? Hahahaha... It's funny how white washed Chinese get when they go abroad. It seems that they actually start to believe the stereotypical myths that permeate a anglosaxon driven society.

It's guys like you who think that  taiwan and hong kong are actually countries. LOL

I hate to see personal insults of any kind. I have been in the US for 9 years, but that doesn't mean i am white washed in any way. There are goods and bads about being American and Chinese, and I am much more "Chinese" than most of the younger generations in China, in every single way.

You have not a clue who i am nor any knowledge about my political stand point. So keep your mouth shut, it wouldn't cost you a pennie to simply keep it shut. My post was based on whatever I heard when I was a kid, and it's up to you to believe that. But if you have to go personal, i will deal with it the American way and not the Chinese way.

gee, looks like i just wasted another 3 minutes on something stupid.

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2006 at 3:48am
A lot of children are taught to write with their right hands in China, the scripting makes it extremely difficult to be written by a leftie. Chopsticks not so much, only the small country villages make a big fuss about it nowadays.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
kollins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2006 at 10:18am
barney reed is a righty but plays lefty.
Shibutani ST
Tackifire C
Feint Soft
lifewire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifewire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2006 at 9:34pm

I wasn't trying to attack you personally. I was talking about Chinese in general.

The reason why I wrote it was because you sounded like another one of those people who say things like. "Oh i heard that in China...... blah blah blah' which really does mislead people into getting a false idea of what China is really like.

On the other hand it makes people who do, angry, because of the mockery you have made of your own country without being sure yourself whether it is true or not

midway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2006 at 12:14am

It was 100% sure to me because it's my personal experience. It could be just the tradition of my hometown,  but i am not making this stuff up.

whatever reason it is, I rather have peaceful conversations and avoid debate over politics, since this forum should about TT.

reederc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reederc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2006 at 11:58am
so leftys huh there just weird "awkard molment of people argueing"
729 bomb penhold
ltk XP
cream trancend
dunmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2006 at 3:28pm
I wasn't forced to somehow change my hand.
I eat, write with my left hand.
Play tt and write on vertical surfaces (like boards), do other things with my right, plus it's stronger.

The mother nature does sometimes weird things.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic