Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Heavy Bottom spin opponent.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Rack Rack wrote:

The reason why we say you probably dont know how to use your body is because thats what pulling underspin requires.  If you don't put your body into it and just try to arm it up... not gonna be consistent.  Also you should know Pro's probably can come close to landing at a 90% clip, but a untrained amateur?  I highly highly doubt that.

Also everyone has given you tips already... the rest is up to you to learn it.

Yes i know how to use my body in a driving motion. People have been saying I do not know how to put power because I do not use my body. But it simply not true. lifting underspin is a different motion and in tennis the ball do not require such a dramatic lifting motion and I was just asking for tips on how to do this.

No need to throw me on to the 'Noobie' pile and think "O this guy must be a noob and knows nothing what so ever" I'm asking for some tips not a  deconstruction of my whole game.

Hope this clears this upConfused
Sponsored Links

Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 4:57pm
Actually no, its not a different motion using H3... its the exact same motion but using different body parts to generate the lifting motion.  And we're not calling you a noobie, we're just trying to make you understand.  It's not an easy concept to grasp.  It doesn't make sense to most people until you actually do it. 

And when you "it touches my paddle and it drops"... thats another thing.  You don't let it touch passively with H3.  You MUST hit into it so it gets into the hard sponge which aids in the dwell time.  If you passively try to baby it, all it'll do is slip off the topsheet.  Also, its not upwards with H3.  It's forward.  Upwards is more for Euro rubber.
Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 5:04pm
O so I wont need to lift the ball upwards with more with my arm, just my legs need a rising motion when doing a drive? If not with the H3 how would i lift the ball?

Don't underestimate my power to pick up new things quickly Wink!
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 5:04pm
Hi Kevin,
 firstly if you are getting caught out with a long spinny chop;

1. you may be too close to the table so for a right hand player just stand a arms length away from the table
2. start off standing mid way between the middle line and the left hand side and if you are a good forehander you may try a little more left stance
3. have your body in ready position with your blade pointed forward (Im not sure if there is any vid of ready position) but I teach kids and say you got two choices ready or unready
4. be prepare to loop a long one but it dosn't matter at all if you just push the main thing is you are in the rally (rather than just miss)
5. Talk to you higher rated players and ask them
6. experiment a little for example do a slower loop or aim mid table
7. watch vids of looper verses choppers
8. enjoy the challenge lol
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 5:18pm
Also with him pushing or chopping your serves back , Its commen for new players to only do one or two different serves, so;
1. look at where you are serving to and have a think about ,Is it easy for him? am I mixing it up ?so some alteratives are;
 1.a short serve but litle spin, just a soft push serve
2. a pure top spin to his backhand so he has to block rather than chop, it could make it easier for you 3rd ball attack
3. any serve that make him move (I get to hit against many Jnrs) and sometimes I will close my eyes and if luck return the serve lol , just to show them that they are always serving into the same area
4. get a mate and have a pushing competion, some people just can't do it, but even the best use it almost in every rally at sometime, well at least alot in a game
5. watch others return his serve to see how they do it
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 5:24pm
Hey thanks for all the great advice smackman!
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by keven702 keven702 wrote:

O so I wont need to lift the ball upwards with more with my arm, just my legs need a rising motion when doing a drive? If not with the H3 how would i lift the ball?

With H3 you won't.  It's exactly the same thing as a drive.  The lifting motion is provided by your legs, waist, wrist.  You only really use a rising up motion with H3 in scenarios where you're super late to the ball and its dropped pretty far down and you need to safety it up.  If you're reasonably on time, its the same stroke just using different body parts to generate how much lift/spin you need.

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 5:59pm

Originally posted by keven702 keven702 wrote:

With H3 you won't.  It's exactly the same thing as a drive.  The lifting motion is provided by your legs, waist, wrist.  You only really use a rising up motion with H3 in scenarios where you're super late to the ball and its dropped pretty far down and you need to safety it up.  If you're reasonably on time, its the same stroke just using different body parts to generate how much lift/spin you need.

Thanks man I'll give it a try in a few days when I play!
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 6:24pm
I agree with Icontec. More middle of the road rubbers would probably make learning easier for you. You have a hot setup and some of the faster and spinier rubbers require that you do more to actively control the ball instead of passively let the ball bounce any way it wants after it hits your paddle. If I don't actively hit the ball on my T05 a ball with heavy back spin will spin across the face of the rubber right into the table. My learner paddle is more forgiving.

The videos are good for beginners but I have found that wrist action, snapping the wrist down, on top of push pushing the paddle down and away makes a big difference and where you hit the ball on the paddle. It is a lot to think about all at once.

I agree with Smackman's point 4 in his second post about having a bottom spin pushing contest with some people. That is how I learned years ago and years ago I only had sriver on my blade which makes learning easier.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 10:51pm
first off - i want to apologize for assuming that you weren't using footwork and solid core mechanics to setup your shot. my bad.

perhaps ironically, the advantages of more "meat and potatoes" gear (like a Yasaka Extra with Mark V both sides or a Primorac with Sriver FX both sides) would play to your strengths while providing much better control of opponent serve and push (your could afford to swing at 75% and still land balls on the table consistently and the gear would be far more forgiving against underspin).

equipment is no substitute for technique, but it can be a compliment.

and i personally think those pingskills videos are great for learning pushing fundamentals... but i don't recall if they talk about footwork (stepping in) for the shot. the two players in Maine who have the best pushes (consistency against service, safe placement, lowest unforced errors) use a stroke very similar. trust me when i say that it's shocking when your "deceptive" top-side pendulum serve is pushed low and flat short to your backhand.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

first off - i want to apologize for assuming that you weren't using footwork and solid core mechanics to setup your shot. my bad.

perhaps ironically, the advantages of more "meat and potatoes" gear (like a Yasaka Extra with Mark V both sides or a Primorac with Sriver FX both sides) would play to your strengths while providing much better control of opponent serve and push (your could afford to swing at 75% and still land balls on the table consistently and the gear would be far more forgiving against underspin).

equipment is no substitute for technique, but it can be a compliment.

and i personally think those pingskills videos are great for learning pushing fundamentals... but i don't recall if they talk about footwork (stepping in) for the shot. the two players in Maine who have the best pushes (consistency against service, safe placement, lowest unforced errors) use a stroke very similar. trust me when i say that it's shocking when your "deceptive" top-side pendulum serve is pushed low and flat short to your backhand.

Ahh , I wish I had more money for equips but not really. Perhaps a slower cheap chinese rubber ? Any recommendations?
PONGTARDED View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONGTARDED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 1:17am

The reason why we say you probably dont know how to use your body is because thats what pulling underspin requires.�

This is simply not true. His balls are going into the net because his paddle is angled incorrectly.

Use your leg power to give it the upwards momentum over the net
What are you talking about...?

You also have to hit into the ball, it can't be a any form of passive shot.
Not true. Great players often lack the time and position for a full stroke and still produce a formidable return.

Third, if you decide to FH it and assuming its heavy, you need to bend your legs low, and start with your blade close to your knees way under the table.
Again, this is certainly not necessary, particularly when playing close to the table.

It's not an easy concept to grasp.
It is an extremely simple concept. It is only difficult because you have needlessly complicated it with questionable complexities.

Here is the simple truth: if you angle the bat correctly, the ball will clear the net and then land on the table. You can just place the bat in front of the ball with no movement at all (unless the ball is moving very slowly). 99% of work is gaining the instinct to angle the bat correctly.

Adding topspin causes the ball to fall more quickly, which enables you to hit the ball harder and more consistently with arc like trajectories.

You never really "lift" the ball. You angle the bat upwards so that the collision imparts an upward vector. The full body stuff does not provide lift; it provides topspin (and speed) which is important not for the lift but for the fall once the ball clears the net.

Lack of consistency due to occasional balls going long can be explained by failure to produce a strong enough stroke to generate the topspin required. If you have no arc, consistency is difficult, but this does not cause the ball to go into the net every time. If this is the problem, the ball goes long 50% and short 50%.

People on this forum love to over complicate things.   Trying to think about your legs and your abdomen and 20 other things will do nothing but decrease your consistency. You can be one of those fools who full body   loop strokes every ball, with no feel for the game, and has zero consistency or is producing such weak loops that every one can be slammed. Or, you can do what in my opinion is better for the causal player and focus on the    simple physics and develop feel for the game as your stroke improves incrementally. It is this feel which really counts.

Great players could just block and use other passive strokes to beat most of use here without ever utilizing a full body loop. They beat us because they are more experienced and talented, and form is a minor issue. Like equipment, we love to discuss it but the reality is that if you spend 40 hours a week training without the ideal equipment and with zero coaching you will quickly surpass they guy who gets coaching, plays 10 hours per week, and spends 30 hours per week reading mytabletennis.net
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 1:43am
First I would say I have no problem with your equipment other than that you should be using sponge under your topsheets that is less than 2.0mm. Also be happy you have this player to play because this is a typical mid level strategy that many cpen style players use. The first thing I try to do is flip or loop the underspin to topspin and engage a rally but until you have those lower percentage strokes mastered you will *have* to learn to push well. That is why this strategy is employed and is successful. Basically it creates an underspin rally that is quite hard to get out of and wears on your patience until you make a mistake. So really the two things you need to win points in this situation is first patience and second the correct pushing technique to create your own underspin and also lift his underspin enough to get it back over the net.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 1:49am
Here is the simple truth: if you angle the bat correctly, the ball will clear the net and then land on the table. You can just place the bat in front of the ball with no movement at all (unless the ball is moving very slowly). 99% of work is gaining the instinct to angle the bat correctly.

Not always true.    Against world-class level underspin shots, unless you cushion the shot correctly after impact, the ball will clear the net and fly out of the table without landing, even if you used "perfect" angle on your blade.   The same is true against world-class topspin shots.  
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 2:03am
I would add that there are in fact two ways I have been taught and practiced by various coaches and players.

The first push type indeed feels like you are simultaneously sliding the racket face under the ball to create your own underspin and lifting their underspin up so that the shot clears the net. This technique produces a lot of underspin and is a slower shot but is still difficult to return due to the spin you put on the ball.

The second technique, taught to me by a national level Korean coach, gives the stroke a more "bunt" like feeling where your racket angle is slightly less open and you hit in to the ball more quickly and "off the bounce". This uses their pace on the ball to help clear the net and gives the opponent less reaction time to respond to your shot. The down side is less underspin so you need to watch your placement. You also have to make sure you hit the ball before it has a chance to reach the top of it's bounce.

Here is a video of Christian Suss, a high level player, using the second technique for a forehand push:

http://www.alphatabletennis.com/clips/12-07.html

Notice in the slow motion he hits the ball before it reaches the top of the bounce... then he hits his backhand. In this case his opponent flipped his return back topspin. That is the problem with this technique as it can be really easy to attack. Chances are your opponent will not attack like that and will try to continue an underspin rally.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 2:13am
Originally posted by PONGTARDED PONGTARDED wrote:

The reason why we say you probably dont know how to use your body is because thats what pulling underspin requires. 

This is simply not true. His balls are going into the net because his paddle is angled incorrectly.

Not true. Great players often lack the time and position for a full stroke and still produce a formidable return.

Third, if you decide to FH it and assuming its heavy, you need to bend your legs low, and start with your blade close to your knees way under the table.
Again, this is certainly not necessary, particularly when playing close to the table.

It is an extremely simple concept. It is only difficult because you have needlessly complicated it with questionable complexities.

Adding topspin causes the ball to fall more quickly, which enables you to hit the ball harder and more consistently with arc like trajectories.

You never really "lift" the ball. You angle the bat upwards so that the collision imparts an upward vector. The full body stuff does not provide lift; it provides topspin (and speed) which is important not for the lift but for the fall once the ball clears the net.

Lack of consistency due to occasional balls going long can be explained by failure to produce a strong enough stroke to generate the topspin required. If you have no arc, consistency is difficult, but this does not cause the ball to go into the net every time. If this is the problem, the ball goes long 50% and short 50%.

People on this forum love to over complicate things.   Trying to think about your legs and your abdomen and 20 other things will do nothing but decrease your consistency. You can be one of those fools who full body   loop strokes every ball, with no feel for the game, and has zero consistency or is producing such weak loops that every one can be slammed. Or, you can do what in my opinion is better for the causal player and focus on the    simple physics and develop feel for the game as your stroke improves incrementally. It is this feel which really counts.

Great players could just block and use other passive strokes to beat most of use here without ever utilizing a full body loop. They beat us because they are more experienced and talented, and form is a minor issue. Like equipment, we love to discuss it but the reality is that if you spend 40 hours a week training without the ideal equipment and with zero coaching you will quickly surpass they guy who gets coaching, plays 10 hours per week, and spends 30 hours per week reading mytabletennis.net

LOL oh man ...  so you're saying to LOOP underspin...you don't use your legs?  You're saying pulling underspin is PURELY on blade angle?  You're saying that using H3 the rubber you use a upwards motion? You're saying that using a hard chinese sponge you don't have to hit into the sponge? 

You're saying "You can just place the bat in front of the ball with no movement at all (unless the ball is moving very slowly). 99% of work is gaining the instinct to angle the bat correctly." AGAINST HEAVY UNDERSPIN???

I mean... REALLLY?!?!?  Post of video of you doing this so we can all watch you.  I'm especially interested in the part where you say you can place a bat in front of a long underspin ball.... angle your blade.... do nothing... and it magically loops over the net with pure blade angle.  I'm sorry but thats just hilarious.  And you're calling me the fool?  Well then... this fools about to backup his words using very well respected people.

And if my coach whos rated 2400+ isn't enough backup for these concepts.  Go read that article in the coaching section from Chinese National Team coach Wu JingPing which pretty much says very similar concepts.  Heres the link... http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33003&PN=1.  Is he a fool also?  Or you can read this... http://www.tabletennisforum.gr/forum_posts.asp?TID=7164&KW=&title=malin-chinese-fh-loop-off-of-underspin.

Better yet, why don't you come to our club... we'll give you a HEAVY FAST underspin push... and you do nothing but stand there and angle your blade.... and see if your concept works.

Or heres another alternative as proof of concept... lets watch #1 player in the world Ma Long who uses H3... do it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R589CucDPFw.

From what I can see against heavy underspin....

Does his blade dip below the table near his knees?  Yep
Does he actively hit INTO the ball?   Yep
Is he using his legs?  Yep
Is his followthrough forward?  Yep
Is he consistent?  Yep

Is his blade OPEN facing upwards like you say it should be?  Nope

And thats against world class underspin from LONG pips.  It won't take nearly as much effort as he's using against a amateur inverted heavy push or heavy serve but the same concepts still apply for a long heavy underspin push or long heavy low underspin serve.

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 4:44am
This sort of problem is not really easy to solve on a Forum, your reading of spin and the appropriate angle of touch comes with experience and time on the table, there is no answer that will work straight away because of the variation of spin in TT, your brain will eventually learn an auto response.
The Older I get, The better I was.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 8:29am

From what I can see against heavy underspin....

Does his blade dip below the table near his knees?  Yep
Does he actively hit INTO the ball?   Yep
Is he using his legs?  Yep
Is his followthrough forward?  Yep
Is he consistent?  Yep

+1. I agree that under heavy spin you should to crouch down and literally lift the ball up using your full body.  Swinging the bat with your arm only is not enough, unless you are really strong, and can swing your arm really fast, and even then I doubt that anyone can swing like that more than 5 times in a row.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 8:39am
i got to 3 against lp and i got really tired....my 4th loop barely made it to the net....it didn't go over btw =p.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 11:04am
Pongtarded: I'm sure you're likely a reasonable and nice person, and perhaps you're highly skilled in table tennis. That being said, please don't take offense to the following.

I'm quite baffled by your response--not only that you disagree with Rack, but also to the extent you disagree with him. I have books, training articles, and have spent many, many, many hours in formal training with a coach. What Rack articulated so well was basically "Looping Against Back Spin 101". Nothing he said even remotely deviated from every lesson I've encountered, either written, spoken, or otherwise, regarding looping back spin.

Perhaps you could clarify your position and let us know your level of experience so that we can better understand where you're coming from?
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 11:10am
i think that pongtarded is just talking about a heavy backspin ball that's high. so his choice of shot would be a upward flat smash or a safe 'lift' which is basically pushing the ball back (but you're actually just letting the spin catch on your rubber to send the ball back) and resetting for the next shot.

i really don't think pongtarded was talking about any kind of loop technique.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 11:14am

The reason why we say you probably dont know how to use your body is because thats what pulling underspin requires. 

No.

Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 11:19am
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

i think that pongtarded is just talking about a heavy backspin ball that's high. so his choice of shot would be a upward flat smash or a safe 'lift' which is basically pushing the ball back (but you're actually just letting the spin catch on your rubber to send the ball back) and resetting for the next shot.

Re-reading his post slowly the 2nd times seem like he is talking about counter loop a top spin though, as he is more worry about the ball going long than hitting the net.  He is actually talking about generating the spin so the ball can arc down, or it will go long...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Re-reading his post slowly the 2nd times seem like he is talking about counter loop a top spin though, as he is more worry about the ball going long than hitting the net.  He is actually talking about generating the spin so the ball can arc down, or it will go long...

No. Don't even pretend to agree/condone his idiocy.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 1:39pm
i'm just pointing out his faults =). 
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONGTARDED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 2:53pm

i think that pongtarded is just talking about a heavy backspin ball that's high. so his choice of shot would be a upward flat smash or a safe 'lift' which is basically pushing the ball back (but you're actually just letting the spin catch on your rubber to send the ball back) and resetting for the next shot. i really don't think pongtarded was talking about any kind of loop technique.

Yes. I see no validity in classifying returns as loops, drives, etc. It is all a continuum. What do you call a weak topspin stroke against heavy backspin that fails to overcome the backspin so that the return is still backspin (I find such returns effective in their deception)? What do you call a block against heavy topspin that makes a perfect loop-like return without providing single RPM of additional topspin? A loop?

I am not disagreeing that an ideal loop utilizes more than the arm. Just saying that an ideal loop is not always necessary and that for beginners not even the immediate goal.

90% of you are lying to yourselves if you disagree with my claim that the pros could beat you with just blocks, lobs, and other passive shots. You are also lying if you deny that pros can produce amazing returns while in a jam using compact movements because they dont have time to produce full strokes.

Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Not always true.    Against world-class level underspin shots, unless you cushion the shot correctly after impact, the ball will clear the net and fly out of the table without landing, even if you used "perfect" angle on your blade.�� The same is true against world-class topspin shots.��

When saying that no bat movement at all is required, I was referring to what most would call a block. And yes, you can do this to virtually any ball that has enough momentum to make it back to the net. You seem to forget that with blade angle one can avoid the ball going    long by angling the bat even more upward (lob type return). This lob trajectory is only necessary against backspin. Or against topspin that you have allowed to drop low.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 3:16pm
I know what a block is, thanks.   I simply do not agree with you that you can return any underspin ball with correct blade angle alone without appropiate bat movement, however small.   Now, if you are saying you could return Joo Se Hyuk's full-blown chop with a blade angle so open that it produces a high enough lob to land safely on the opposite side of the table, what's point of this conversation?
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 3:25pm
No one doubted that a PRO can beat any one of us with lobs, blocks and passive shots.  There are many high level players over 2000+ that still play a counter or lobbing game.  Thats actually a smart way to win to conserve energy.  Hell many Pros can beat us just by serves alone or even pushes... thats why they're called Pros.  They save energy by doing this because they are virtually a moving brick wall at that level with insane footwork.

What you are suggesting is that instead of learning how to properly loop a basic underspin ball, you're telling him to lob it up?  And you claimed I'm the person who makes stupid returns and gets slammed on?  Name one coach who will teach you to LOB underspin up as a way to deal with it as a first resort.  If its an unsafe shot to loop... you can always PUSH it back like everyone is saying as long as the push is properly placed UNLESS you want to let the opponent open in which you can counter.  The only time I would advocate doing that angle up lob shot is when you're dreadfully late to the ball and you have no other choice... or you can consistently place it pretty spinny to the far end of the other table... or you're facing someone who pretty much can't finish a lob.  But still thats no way to be learning how to deal with underspin... to lob it up.

Also why are you talking about blocks when everyones talking about how to deal with HEAVY underspin?

I agree with APW that it's very hard to learn through people telling you through a forum which is why I always will recommend someone to teach personally.  The only thing you can hope for from a forum is hopefully someones advice will spark an idea in your head of another way to try and maybe... just maybe something will click in the persons head especially in cases where coaching is not possible or available.  It's the only resort for them.

And my challenge still stands to you to display to us that you can angle your blade and with no movement at all... return a heavy long underspin shot.  We'll even give you all the momentum you want and give you a FAST heavy push. 

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONGTARDED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 3:34pm
My basic position here is that one should allow the loop technique to develop gradually. Learn to hit and push and lob with a hardbat. Then switch to inverted. Transition from flat hits to hits with weak topspin. Every addition of increased topspin will be rewarded, and you will evolve a loop stroke gradually rather than all at once.

I recommend this because the loop stroke is not the most essential skill. You can forgo it all together and stick with the hardbat and develop a very decent hitting based game.

We all play best while doing what comes naturally at the moment. Significant improvements to technique come with an initial decline in performance followed by improvement. You do look like a fool when attempting full body loops before you have learned judge spin and flat hit the ball.

Particularly with limited training hours, you can entirely stunt your development by focusing on form before learning the basics.

At my club, there is a USTT 900 middle aged woman who attempts full body loops with no consistency. She yells at herself, "loop", "loop", "loop." She gets beaten by the occasional basement player who comes by for the first time and has never heard of the term loop. She is not improving because she is trying too hard. When focusing on the abdomen and the legs and 20 other things, you take too many hits to ever recuperate unless you are training more than a few hours per week. She looks like a fool, and actually has the audacity to offer her services as a paid coach.

I am suggesting that you just relax and allow the development to proceed more naturally. After you have learned to hit and are beginning to topspin, you can watch loops on youtube, but dont overanalyze. Think of it as one fluid motion and try to replicate it without thinking about the individual components.

I suggest that you start out like Timo Boll did as a 4 year old: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzn4kv9NhxU . You can see that he gained a feel for the basics (hitting, judging trajectories, etc) before he even learned to hold the paddle correctly. There is a myth at mytt that learning this way permanently messes up your reflexes, but it is simply not true.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 3:50pm

My basic position here is that one should allow the loop technique to develop gradually. Learn to hit and push and lob with a hardbat. Then switch to inverted. Transition from flat hits to hits with weak topspin. Every addition of increased topspin will be rewarded, and you will evolve a loop stroke gradually rather than all at once.

I recommend this because the loop stroke is not the most essential skill. You can forgo it all together and stick with the hardbat and develop a very decent hitting based game.

We all play best while doing what comes naturally at the moment. Significant improvements to technique come with an initial decline in performance followed by improvement. You do look like a fool when attempting full body loops before you have learned judge spin and flat hit the ball.

Particularly with limited training hours, you can entirely stunt your development by focusing on form before learning the basics.

At my club, there is a USTT 900 middle aged woman who attempts full body loops with no consistency. She yells at herself, "loop", "loop", "loop." She gets beaten by the occasional basement player who comes by for the first time and has never heard of the term loop. She is not improving because she is trying too hard. When focusing on the abdomen and the legs and 20 other things, you take too many hits to ever recuperate unless you are training more than a few hours per week. She looks like a fool, and actually has the audacity to offer her services as a paid coach.

I am suggesting that you just relax and allow the development to proceed more naturally. After you have learned to hit and are beginning to topspin, you can watch loops on youtube, but dont overanalyze. Think of it as one fluid motion and try to replicate it without thinking about the individual components.

I suggest that you start out like Timo Boll did as a 4 year old: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzn4kv9NhxU . You can see that he gained a feel for the basics (hitting, judging trajectories, etc) before he even learned to hold the paddle correctly. There is a myth at mytt that learning this way permanently messes up your reflexes, but it is simply not true.

No, you're wrong.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic