Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Heavy Bottom spin opponent.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Rack Rack wrote:

Ok enough of Pong... useless...

Keven,

It's very difficult to get the other player outta position off of a long spinny heavy underspin serve unless your looping is really high level.  You can probably pull off just a basic opening loop off of the serve but you gotta prepare to counter cause it'll just start the rally.  If you feel thats a low percentage shot for you... just push it back and make him open and you prepare to counter him.  Or if he doesn't feel comfortable in opening off of your push... thats your chance to open.

If you're comfortable with looping his serve or push... you can keep him guessing by either going cross or down the line if thats within your ability but remember to take a peek of where he is first and place accordingly to take the initiative.

Thanks for the tip.

I was just trying to imply(strongly) that I didn't want just a return that was so weak my opponent can just smash it away. Dead
Sponsored Links

Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 11:53pm

Yeah it really depends on how good you are in looping and pushing. Pushing would be the way to go if you arent comfortable in looping.  But the best tip I can give you over the net is... always push with a purpose.  Don't just push back just to get it back on his side of the table.  Push to a place to make him move to get it.  Even getting him outta position a little can give you the opportunity to steal the initiative off one of his services and let you open the rally to dictate the rest of the point.

Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2010 at 12:03am

Heres another example.   Watch 3:53 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUyxOMwTbPI.  Ball goes below the table... Wang Hao lifts and spins it back up and open WITHOUT a open upwards facing blade.

Just to be fair, Wang Hao looped a top spin ball off Xu Xin's block so it doesn't apply to the backspin discussion here. Even that, he had a VERY open racket so if it were backspin and that low he could have had an open upwards racket. So IMO "open upward loop" is quite feasible in that kind of situation. Not to mention there's that "fake loop" you can do to underspin with an open upwards racket, where you basicly shove the ball over the net instead of rubbing it. Although those are certainly not what you normally do to most underspin balls.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2010 at 12:06am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3ubYjMMTp4

Watch Li Ping (Blue) @ 2:38 - There is a nice slow motion replay. This is what I'm talking about.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2010 at 12:54am
Fake-out flicks are a pretty advanced technique. At least it is in my development lol.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2010 at 12:58am
Originally posted by Fruit loop Fruit loop wrote:

Fake-out flicks are a pretty advanced technique. At least it is in my development lol.

Yeah but he asked!
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2010 at 4:06am
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Heres another example.   Watch 3:53 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUyxOMwTbPI.  Ball goes below the table... Wang Hao lifts and spins it back up and open WITHOUT a open upwards facing blade.

Just to be fair, Wang Hao looped a top spin ball off Xu Xin's block so it doesn't apply to the backspin discussion here. Even that, he had a VERY open racket so if it were backspin and that low he could have had an open upwards racket. So IMO "open upward loop" is quite feasible in that kind of situation. Not to mention there's that "fake loop" you can do to underspin with an open upwards racket, where you basicly shove the ball over the net instead of rubbing it. Although those are certainly not what you normally do to most underspin balls.

Can do the same thing if it was underspin also... just wanted to give another example of it... the 1st timo youtube clip I posted above was vs underspin push... pretty much the same shot.

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2010 at 4:06am
Pong is actually correct, there are differing ways to lift a heavy chopped ball, and I thinkl he's describing a 'scoop loop' where there is more of a bat contact, less brush, to lift the ball over the net. If performed correctly it is a superb shot to play against Choppers, it looks looped, but there is less spin, if not spotted the chopper tends to put the ball in the net because he is compensating for topspin that is not there. The Downside is that you have to know exactly what is on the ball or you will lift it off the end of the table.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2010 at 1:39pm

APW... I'm not saying the shot doesn't exist or that it can't be performed.  The scoop loop sure can be used.  I even advocated that Keven should consider the shot if he was in a safety situation.  My point is... should it be a primary shot against normal underspin from a non chopper like Pong says.  Like Zingy said, it's not the primary normal shot you would do against a normal inverted user that Keven is facing.  Against a chopper with a great amount of underspin from a very heavy chop... sure its a good shot to use but I've NEVER seen a decent player scoop loop everytime a normal inverted player pushes to them or serves long... thats where I believe he's wrong.  The return quality just wouldn't be good as Keven even knows... it would be pretty high and lob like if you don't execute it VERY well.  Not to mention you give the opponent a HUGE chance to open up a strong attack on you everytime because he knows if he serves long or pushes long... you'll do some scoop loop high and he'll step back and be ready for you each time after he catches on that thats your way to deal with it.  No coach would advocate scoop looping as a primary means to deal with a long serve or push which is why Pong can't find one video of a half decent player who does.  APW you're a good player, would you as a player/teacher, scoop loop everytime someone serves long or pushes at you and give your opponent (who will probably anticipate it sooner or later that thats the way you deal with any underspin) the initiative every time?  Or would you just simply loop/drive loop or even push + place the underspin normally to set up the next shot (which is what I'm suggesting to do)?

And in response to Zingy, yes that 2nd clip was against top... the 1st clip of Timo was against underspin push.  Was the most I can do with 5 minutes worth of searching.

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2010 at 9:23pm
Either today was a good day for me or the last time I played was a bad day because today I was able to beat him 4-1. The games were close though (2-4 point apart)  but atleast I wasn't getting dominated like before. I didn't put much thought into the "lifting you legs" but I did squat down lower when receiving his serves it helped me return the ball well but it slowed me down for the next shot if he was able to return it. 
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2010 at 9:51pm
Yep squatting down more putting your weight on your right leg = using your legs more.  Glad its working for you and that you didnt resort to lobbing it up so he could kill you.  The recovery will come in time as you do it more and more.  Just put it in your head to immediately reset after your stroke is complete and don't stay stuck watching or "posing" on the follow through too long.  But it should help you become more consistent.  Don't be surprised if your legs get sore or your right leg starts gettin bigger than your left the more you do it... LOL.

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2010 at 10:08pm
Alright thanks for all the help man Big%20smile. I appreciate the time you took to explain everything to me thanks again.   Clap
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2010 at 2:11am
I see your point Rack, its my fault for skim reading through the thread before posting.Tongue
The Older I get, The better I was.
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2010 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Thaidog Thaidog wrote:

Originally posted by Fruit loop Fruit loop wrote:

Yeah but he asked!

hahaha it is still a suggestion!

Ya, that is a very advanced technique.  Took me a really long time to learn this shot.  Sadly I can only do it to relatively low spin to no spin balls.  At least with that kind of velocity LOL
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
tennisfreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tennisfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2010 at 1:26pm
Rack

you love Ma  Lin dont you?
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2010 at 3:49pm

Yeah he's one of my favs.  I mostly like him because he's one of the hardest working players in terms of training + dedication and I respect that alot.  Not to mention he beats alot of people with sheer tactics.  Plus its hilarious when someone pisses him off and he literally goes into like "I'm gonna murder you" ultra offensive mode like he did vs Kenta in the last set of the match they had at the WTTC... epic.  But then again I like alot of players... LGL, Waldner, KLH, Ma Long, Xu Xin, Wang Hao.

All time fav is probably still LGL tho.  So so vicious watching his matches.

Also no prob APW... just wanted to relay the point clearly... didn't have any intention of being insulting or anything.

Keven... good luck man!  Hope it all works out for you.

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic