Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

HELP! Best All-around table tennis paddle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mookness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mookness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! Best All-around table tennis paddle
    Posted: 02/02/2007 at 2:27pm
Hello,

I am looking to buy my boyfriend a rack for his birthday in less than 2 weeks.  I have NO knowledge whatsoever about table tennis.  I need anyone's help please!

He just begun but has a natural talent for table tennis.  He plays against his co-worker whom he calls PROS and would actually keep up. 

Any suggestions as to what brand/type/specific paddle I can get him?

Price range $ 100-$150 is fine.

Any suggestion is much appreciated!

Mei
Sponsored Links

sunflex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2007 at 2:31pm
Butterfly Primorac Off- with Butterfly Sriver L 1.9/Yasaka Mark V 1.8 both sides is fine. Very good for starters and advantage players.

Butterflyonline have some good combo deals. These to are fine

master-pong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote master-pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2007 at 3:07pm
I second that.

This combo is also recommended:
http://www.americantabletennis.com/get_item_wlcombo_waldner-lagonda-with-gallardo-speed-2-0-rubber.htm
Free shipping!!!

Don't forget to put "both rubbers in 1.8mm (or 2.0mm) thickness, please" in the order. As for the handle..I think he'll like Flared the most.

timtex37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timtex37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2007 at 3:19pm
Should find out what kind of handle he holds (penhold or shakehand), most likely shakehand,  may I also suggest Stiga Optimum Sync blade with the rubbers suggested above.
I am also a starter but have gotten pretty good (1700) for someone who only played for a year and 3 months  with the help of this blade.

by the way, you are a very thoughtful girlfriend,  Wink
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2007 at 3:35pm
http://www.ping-pong.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=DB201CB

pick red yasaka markv 2.0 and black yasaka markv 2.0

Great suggestions above, I think many combos would fit him. I'm suggesting this all-around combo because pingpong.com has a free 2nd day shipping offer right now.
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2007 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Mookness Mookness wrote:

Hello,

I am looking to buy my boyfriend a rack

What size is he now?
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2007 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by sunflex sunflex wrote:

Butterfly Primorac Off- with Butterfly Sriver L 1.9/Yasaka Mark V 1.8 both sides is fine. Very good for starters and advantage players.

Butterflyonline have some good combo deals. These to are fine

i third that but dont forget to have one side red and one side black, very important!
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
???? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ???? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2007 at 6:44pm
i decline that , dont go for the primorac off- mainly because many people dont like the square shaped handle, if he has medium to small hands go for a blade with a thinner handle, if hes got fat hands go for a blade with a thicker handle obviously..Get an OFF- blade they tend to be slower than you think, its gotta be thin though, he'll enjoy playing with it more because of the feel/flexibility. basically just call a well known table tennis distributor like BUTTERFLY and ask them for a good quality racket which is THIN (under 6mm) and has nice speed/control which is off-. Infact ask them to recommend 2 or 3 blades then go to this website to read the reviews on them and choose the one with the best reviews http://www.tabletennis.gr/equipment/equipment.asp its called denis' table tennis world. And do the same process for the rubber asking for one with good speed/spin/control nothing too much in one direction as he is new to the game but makes sure the rubber is 2mm not more or less, this makes it easier for him to develop his game in any direction and make sure the rubber is made from the same distributor. Then call them back and ask them to assemble the racket for you. I say OFF- because GENERALLY they tend to be fast enough to be offensive and slow enough to be defensive, you dont want to get him anything too fast or on the slow side either as he claims he is "naturally talented".
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2007 at 10:22pm
Besides determining whether penhold or shakehand, you have to consider also the three types of handle in shakehand blade : Straight, Flared or Anatomic. If I were the one who would receive the blade, I would very much prefer that it is a blade of my choice. It is best to ask him what is his dream blade. Of course this will eliminate the surprise factor, but he will get a blade that he wants and he will not start to think (perhaps he will not say it out loud) "I wish she bought me the other blade that is more suitable for me instead"
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2007 at 11:27pm
Usually any good quality 5-ply blade will do, something like the Offensive Classic, Gatien Extra or the Kong Linghui.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
satthu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote satthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2007 at 12:24am
Damn, I wish I have a girlfriend like this :)

Anyway, a good/unique all-around paddle is the Donic Dotec Waldner AR.
http://www.dandoy-sports.com/product_info.php?pName=donic-waldner-dotec-ar&cName=blades

The Butterfly Sriver, Yasaka Mark V rubbers that people suggested are good all-around rubbers.
AZNpenholdloop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZNpenholdloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2007 at 2:21am
yes! go with the dotec series its amazing, as for the rubbers just go with mark v or juic scramble series, it never fails ya. if u want to go alittle higher up, donic desto F1, F2, or F3 would all work. i like the F1:Forehand, F2:Backhand combo myself.
Avalox 550
FH: Blue Whale II Factory Tuned 38 deg.
BH: White Shark II Factory Tuned
pzmosquito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pzmosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2007 at 3:30am
DO NOT choose wood blades, they require some skills to play good. Choose carbon blades instead, you will find carbons are so perfect for non-pro players. here is good one:
Nittaku Acoustic
FH: Andro Plasma 470
BH: Joola Energy Green Power
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2007 at 1:41pm
Are you kidding? Decline that advice above. I don't know that racket specifically, may be allaround. But to say that a learning player shouldn't pick an all wood racket is so ridiculous I'm not sure if he was serious or not.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
HaoFZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaoFZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2007 at 2:15pm
well im sure where pzmosquito lives, beginners play with super tension rubber with speed glue with rubber that requires elite skills to generate any decent spin or lifting... i thought all the US players all played like that, u dont? ^^

stiga tube carbo is one of the fastest and crappiest blades made by STIGA... if you want a beginner blade, the Stiga Off Classic is what i would recommend as a blade

but seriously for someone's that just starting.... just buy a pre-glued blade around 4-5 stars in the ALL+ range and ur b/f will be fine ^^
pzmosquito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pzmosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2007 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Are you kidding? Decline that advice above. I don't know that racket specifically, may be allaround. But to say that a learning player shouldn't pick an all wood racket is so ridiculous I'm not sure if he was serious or not.

wood blade is good for loopers, but beginners don't have enough skills and "correct" power to play with it. Of course it's good to start with wood blade if he has an professional coach, otherwise, he'll find carbon blade has more speed and power than wood blades.

PS: I started with wood blade because my coach is a retired player from China National Team. but more and more players in China Provincial Team started with carbon blades now.
Nittaku Acoustic
FH: Andro Plasma 470
BH: Joola Energy Green Power
tatan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2007 at 2:31pm
ha ha ha

good sugg..    primo off- or butterfly jonyer(an) with sriver L black/red of 2.0 mm would be fine
1)ZJ fl(89 gm) fh T05 red max bh T05 fx black max
2)TBS fl(89 gm) fh T05 black max bh GKI hybrid gx red max
Mookness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mookness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2007 at 6:07pm

Hello ALL!!!! LOL

I would like to scream out a big "THANK YOU!" to all of you who has been soooooo helpful this past week.  I was very surprised to get replys w/in the first hour of posting my request.

My head's been spinning from all the suggestion you gave and all them has been very helpful.  I've learn ALOT!

Instead of the racket for his birthday, I ended up buying him a pair of Digital Stereo Monitor Speakers for his other hobbie. I decided to get these because I knew the "exact" ones he wanted although it was a few hundred bucks more. *sigh*

If my bf doesn't get himself a racket next few months then I'll get one for him then.

but again... Thank you for all your help! sorry...long email. hehehehe

Mei

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2007 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Mookness Mookness wrote:

Hello ALL!!!! LOL
   I would like to scream out a big "THANK YOU!" to all of you who has been soooooo helpful this past week.  I was very surprised to get replys w/in the first hour of posting my request.

My head's been spinning from all the suggestion you gave and all them has been very helpful.  I've learn ALOT!

Instead of the racket for his birthday, I ended up buying him a pair of Digital Stereo Monitor Speakers for his other hobbie. I decided to get these because I knew the "exact" ones he wanted although it was a few hundred bucks more. *sigh*

If my bf doesn't get himself a racket next few months then I'll get one for him then.

but again... Thank you for all your help! sorry...long email. hehehehe

Mei

Man....this guy is lucky...I wish my wife was like that....
Leeroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2007 at 7:19pm
LOL Me too Big%20smile.

Well, another suggestion:  LKT Instinct blade (light 5 ply or meatier 7 ply).  Under $20 AUS.  Prob around $15 US.  Has been labeeled controlled attack and has been tagged as allround/offensive blade.  This is a wonderfully cheap and exceptional beginning blade. 

Rubbers:  Cream mrs/transcend/Jap 2.0 or Higher transcend.  Very allround rubbers. 

Prob get the combo with case for $50 US.  A cheap but great beginner setup. 
Blade: Galaxy U4
BH: DHS H2 (orange)
FH: DHS G666 or 729 40H German ESN

http://www.myspace.com/leethedream
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2007 at 9:07pm
Actually, I sell that setup for $35 US, as does zeropong.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic