Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Home made glue help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leeroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home made glue help
    Posted: 07/06/2006 at 10:04pm
Hey guys.  I got myself rubber cement and zippo lighter fluid.  I mixed them together but got little dome with my rubber.  I think the zippo fluid softened the rubber which was nice though.  Problem for me was I couldn't find dlimonene.  I found many orange citrus stuff that is very strong for cleaning.  Is dlimonene an ingredient or actually a brand of that heavy duty citrus cleaner that breaks down rubber and cleans grease?
Blade: Galaxy U4
BH: DHS H2 (orange)
FH: DHS G666 or 729 40H German ESN

http://www.myspace.com/leethedream
Sponsored Links

gundam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gundam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2006 at 10:27pm
hi leeroy,

dlimonene is the name of the chemical/ingredient. i was told (from another forum) that Orange Power is made of dlimonene. I bought some from Coles and Woolworths have some.

Hope this helps.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2006 at 10:39pm

Hey leeroy!

Where did you end up getting the rubber cement and lighter fluid from?

I'm sure gundam's 'orange power' will give you the best smelling bat around, even if the speed effect does not work!

Cheers!

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2006 at 11:10pm

The problem with some cleansers is that there are other ingredients along with D-limonene.  THat may be the reason why you only get a little dome.  But the lighter fluid should have helped the cause. 

How much of the ingredients did you use?  Volume-wise?

You can find the D-Limonene under it's stronger strengthed verson name - Grumbacher Grumtine in Art stores like Michaels.  It is used in paintings.

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
joey5867 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey5867 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2006 at 11:36pm
There is anyway that I can find only d-limonene?
BLD: NITTAKU Sanalion S
FH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
BH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2006 at 11:40pm

I wonder if they will sell through internet?

but the pure stuff is harder to come by.  You might try a Chemical store like for Chemists.  THey might sell it.

FYI

from florida chemical

d-Limonene is the major component of the oil extracted from citrus rind.  When citrus fruits are juiced, the oil is pressed out of the rind.  This oil is separated from the juice, and distilled to recover certain flavor and fragrance compounds.  The bulk of the oil is left behind and collected.  This is food grade d-limonene.  After the juicing process, the peels are conveyed to a steam extractor.  This extracts more of the oil from the peel.  When the steam is condensed, a layer of oil floats on the surface of the condensed water.  This is technical grade d-limonene.

In the past decade, the use of d-limonene has expanded tremendously.  Much of the product goes into making paint solids, used to impart an orange fragrance to products, and used as a secondary cooling fluid.  But the largest growth segment has been the use of d-limonene in cleaning products.  This has occurred in both industrial uses and in household/institutional products.  d-Limonene can be used either as a straight solvent, or as a water dilutable product.

As a straight solvent,   d-limonene can replace a wide variety of products, including mineral spirits, methyl ethyl ketone, acetone, toluene, glycol ethers, and of course fluorinated and chlorinated organic solvents.  As with most organic solvents, d-limonene is not water soluble, so it can be used in the typical water separation units.  With a KB value of 67, d-limonene has solubility properties close to that of CFC�s, indicating that it is a much better solvent than a typical mineral spirit.   Straight d-limonene can be used as a wipe cleaner, in a dip bath, or in spray systems as a direct substitute for most other organic solvents.

By combining d-limonene with a surfactant package, a water dilutable and rinsible solution can be made.  In most cases these products are used in the institutional and household settings in place of caustic and other water based cleaners.  A concentrated solution of a d-limonene/surfactant solution can be made to be diluted before use, or pre-diluted solutions can be formed.  The use concentrations of d-limonene in these situations are usually 5-15%.  In general these solutions are used as spray and wipe cleaners.  The water dilutable solutions can also be used in industrial settings where a water rinse of the parts is desired to remove any residue which may remain.

d-Limonene is a very versatile chemical which can be used in a wide variety of applications.  It is extremely safe and more effective than typical cleaning solutions.

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
Leeroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2006 at 1:32am

In Coles there is this orange citrus cleaner called Citronella or something.  I looked at it and it seemed to be a strong cleaner but no ingredient help.  I think it like had 98% carbon something *shrug*. 

I ended up getting Art gum rubber cement from a new local art and craft store (250mil).  They had many chemicals for paints there.  One was citrus and many linseed oil ones but not what I needed I don't think.  I got 125 mil can of Zippo lighter fluid from Smoke shop nearby.  So your looking at 75% rubber cement and 25% lighter fluid.  The rubber cement was much thicker than I thought it would be.  With the lighter fluid when I mixed it in at the start looked like it wasn't going to mix well but it did finally.  But still quite thick.  I probably should have mixed in another 125 mil can of zippo lighter fluid and make it 50/50.  Now I gotta get the dlimonene.  I'll post what I can find and the correct names to some of those strong citrus products I found.  One said that it breaks down rubber and cautioned it.  That kinda seems like the one :D.  That one was from Bunnings.  The other one was from Bi-Lo/Coles - same thing pretty much). 

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2006 at 2:06am

Cheers Leeroy!

Lets just hope the final products works out cheaper than real speed glue!

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2006 at 2:20am

On the internet.  D-lim goes for about $30 / gallon.  I guess if you look hard enough you could find smaller quanitites.  There is food grade and other similar extracts like from lemons and other citrus fruit.

Did increasing the Lighter fluid make a bigger dome?

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
tt12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2006 at 3:57pm

Hi, This is my  experiment after reading the self -made gule thread here.

I got all the ingredients in Michael's (one-stop shopping) in Canada.

Rubber Cement (Elmer 120 ml $2.00)

D-Limonene (Grumbacher 74 ml $14.00)

Rubber Cemt Thinner (Best-Test 473 ml $15.00) 

I used 45% Rubber Cementt, 45% Rubber Cement, 10% D-Limonene.

I was told that using Zippo lighter fluid will make the glue unsticky.  It is only used to remove the glue that has been built up.

Leeroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2006 at 6:16pm

Thanks so much for replies.  I was wondering how I would get rid of that excess glue.  Haggisv did you end up getting anything from Carrero art? 

I;ll let you guys know of a citrus thing that seems most potent.  There are many citrus cleaners and whatnot out there.  Some seem to be stronger than others.  I'll post different ones and see if they should be ok.  Does the D-Lim make a big diff?  I am looking for more spin than speed.  Well, Speed will help so I would like the ru ber to tension and expand but also soften.  With 75 rubber cement 25 zippo lighter fluid it was better but not that great.  SHould I get more zippo lighter fluid which will help me or the rubber cement thinners would do the better job?

7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2006 at 6:28pm
no, zippo doesn't make it unsticky, its the paint thinner you have to look out for.
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2006 at 6:37pm

Leeroy: Yes i got the 'national art' rubber cement, same stuff as from carrero, but got it from a local art supply shop (around $8 for 500ml if I remember correctly). It is very thick and a little brownish in colour. It is VERY sticky! I've used a few times just to normally glue rubber to blades, it only takes 1 very thin layer on blade & rubber to make s strong bond. The smell is really strong too

I tried to thin it down with turps a little, but it didn't mix that well - I haven't persisted or tried other combos yet.

I think the Dlim mainly adds speed because it expands the sponge. It's the volatile chemicals (zippo) that adds spins - can't remember where i read that...

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Leeroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2006 at 8:58pm

Yeah it is thick even with 25% zippo lighter fluid.  I put heaps on thinking it will dome and expand.  I kept putting heaps on and it wasn't doing much.  Now I have a mammoth glue build up on the rubber :D.  Hope that zippo fluid helaps me get rid of that mammoth glue excess but turps may be the one for glue removal *shrug* ?

If Zippo lighter fluid can help put spin which it did somewhat then if I get the Dlim which gives the speed I think that would be superb for me.  With the 25% zippo it did soften it up and give slightly better spin but the speed was not so much.  This is what I am thinking of:

tt12 I like your reco of 45% rubber cement, 45% thinners and 10% Dlim.  I think I will use zippo lighter fluid instead of thinners though.  Would that be ok?  tt12 you said that zippo lighter fluid gives it less stick but with 25% zippo added with the rubber cement the bond was pretty darn strong...

wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2006 at 9:50pm
Actaully Leroy you had 250 ml rubber cement and 125 ml Zippo so thats 66 2/3 to 33 1/3.  I use 50, 40 and 10 D limonene.  How many layers of glue did you put on the rubber?
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2006 at 9:54pm
The More Zippo you add the faster the speed glue will be.  Also it will cut down on you buildup.  The Dlimonene will give it a speed boost but also make it a long lasting speed glue.  Only use 5 - 10 percent.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Butterfly Amultart
Leeroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2006 at 12:03am

I used around 3/4 of the can of zippo lighter fluid (about 3/4 of 125 mil).  I didn't use the whole can.  I thought 75/25 was more accurate.  I was thinking 250mil rubber cement with 2 125mil zippo lighter fluids.   That's 50/50.  Then add 50 mil Dlim makeing it 45, 45 and 10.   

Cost: $10 + $8 + about $4 = Around $22

Yeah pretty expensive haggisv .  But this way my wife don't know by looking at bank transfers if you know what I mean .  Just swindle cash here and there .

Hey Wfw do you know if you can get bigger cans of zippo lighter fluid?  They didn't have any at the smoke shop I went other than the 125 mil cans...

And just wondering what the diff is between using rubber cement thinners or zippo lighter fluid.  Anyone know?

tt12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2006 at 12:13am

Leeroy, I am experiencing using 45% rubber cement; 45% rubber cement thinner and 10% D-Limenete. I am still trying out. By the way, the home-made glue is not cheap (unless you have mass production of it).

The lighter fluid I am using is Ronsonol. Friends in my club warned me that lighter fluid is harmful to the sponge. Is Zippo any different from Ronsonol ? (I don't know)

The home-made glue is OK. The Master Chack I have been using is almost 3 years old. Thus it may not be that effective. I find not much difference between the two. But I got satisfaction of making it myself.

If you find a better formula of components, let me know. I will try it out.

Leeroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2006 at 7:46am

Yeah I think maybe the lighter fluid would kill abit of the spring in the sponge.  I don't mind it softening the sponge for me because mine are slightly too hard but kill the spring I won't like.  Rubber cement thinners I hope does a better job but i think that'll be the somewhat the same *shrug* ? ....

tt12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2006 at 11:09pm

Leeroy,my friend in the club told me they sell lighter fluid using Zippo as brand name in the States. It is sold as Ronsonol in Canada. They r basically the same.

If Zippo is much better than the rubber cement thinner to produce speed, I will use Zippo instead. Rubber cement thinner is more expensive than Zippo as long as it doesn't harm the sponge extensively.

I think I can save the trouble buying speed glue from vendors. By the way, is this home-made glue legal and reasonably healthy?  

wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2006 at 11:30pm
The lighter fluid does not kill the spring in the sponge in fact some people complain it makes the sponge too springy.  I have been using lighter fluid for years on all kinds of sponge and it has yet to harm one of them.  I have used it as a booster and had no problems getting the rubber to stick.  It is used by every member of my club to wake up the old glue or as a booster with no complaints.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Butterfly Amultart
Leeroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2006 at 7:07pm

I don't think it's legal.  I want to use Dlim and I don't think that is legal but I don't care .  Might be not so good on the health so I'm glad i don't play too much. 

Wfwfitz I used 75/25 zippo and I have a mammoth glue build up on my 40H and 40S esn rubbers.  Can I just add zippo fluid straight out of the can and that would somehow reignite the glue and still give it a speed glue effect?

If so can I do that from time to time instead of using the 45/45/10 Dlim combo?  Or will I also need to splash a little Dlim as well?

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2006 at 7:47pm
It should be legal unless it contains banned substances.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
gundam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gundam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2006 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by tt12 tt12 wrote:

I think I can save the trouble buying speed glue from vendors. By the way, is this home-made glue legal and reasonably healthy?

Depending on the mixture, it probably could turn out healthier than the ones vendors sell. It is also very legal as long as it does not use the banned substances.

I do have to admit it is not for everyone.

tt12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2006 at 11:38pm
gundam,I have been using my home-made glue for a couple of weeks now. The effect is satisfactory(generates quite a bit of speed), comparable to my old Master Chack. Anyway, nobody questioned my speed glue during the local tournament.
gundam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gundam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2006 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by tt12 tt12 wrote:

gundam,I have been using my home-made glue for a couple of weeks now. The effect is satisfactory(generates quite a bit of speed), comparable to my old Master Chack. Anyway, nobody questioned my speed glue during the local tournament.

tt12, don't worry, i can keep secrets.

speed glue? what speed glue?
it was like that when i got it.

convincing enough?
Leeroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2006 at 7:20am

I used zippo lighter fluid as a booster and it certainly gave rubber some spring.  Made it easier to create spin but because it was much more springy it was hard to put heaps of spin on it witout going over the table.  Very fast and nice feeling.  I started slapping at it so may get some bad habits .  But nah it was very faster.  There may be better rubbers out there for me if I use that type of speed glue.  Does the Dlim like slow it down and make it more spinnier as I think someone said? 

Wfwfitz by using this glue the rubber will not last as long?  If so how much less of life are we looking at?  Anyone?  I plan on going the 45 rubber cement, 45 zippo and 10 Dlim.  Would I like more than half the rubber life? 

Leeroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2006 at 7:27am

Haggisv I was that excited with the glue effect my bat went flying and snapped the handle off .  My other bat is busted up abit at the handle the other week and that was fixable

Anyway also I wanted to ask if adding the Dlim would not only add spin but also better feeling.  Would it slow it down mixed in because without the Dlim (just the zippo) it was pretty darn fast.  I hardly had to hit it when compared to when I had it unglued... Felt very effortless but the spin factor I think I needed more because the speed was great.  Hope the Dlim helps *shrugs* ... (?)

wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2006 at 2:38pm
Sorry to hear about the bat Leroy.  Dlimonene will add speed but more important it will lengthen the time of the speed glue effect making it like a long lasting speed glue.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Butterfly Amultart
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2006 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Leeroy Leeroy wrote:

Wfwfitz by using this glue the rubber will not last as long?  If so how much less of life are we looking at?  Anyone?  I plan on going the 45 rubber cement, 45 zippo and 10 Dlim.  Would I like more than half the rubber life? 

I dont notice any loss of time but I have not used rubbers for a year like some people.  Usually after a couple of months i give them to the kids at my club who use them for some time after that.

Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Butterfly Amultart
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic