Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How can serve like this be legal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rosecitytt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How can serve like this be legal?
    Posted: 04/01/2016 at 10:16am
This is [top player] in international events,
i can see a lot of problem with these serves,
What do you think?

Sponsored Links

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 10:26am
I´m not sure about this, but when the ball is tossed shouldn´t it fall at the same place (vertical toss)?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 10:29am
Yes, I think serves are definitely illegal both times, in fact on second one, it was clear he also dropped his hand below the table before starting the toss.  I have known Tim since he was a little kid, he has had that problem forever.  You would think it would be a fairly easy thing to fix, but apparently not.  He gets called a lot for that.  When watching in real time, the second problem of not really "tossing the ball" can be hard to see unless you are actually looking for it.

In reality, calling serves in ITTF events is a bit like strike zones in Major League baseball and traveling in the NBA.  There is more consistency among umpires than you might expect (although far from perfect consistency) and yet the calls don't always seem to be quite the way the rules are written.  The two umpires are not sitting in a place where they can adequately judge what an opponent can see, for example (and often the camera is not placed that well either). 

It is a source of endless controversy here.  The last time I wandered into an illegal serve thread I swore I wouldn't do it again.  Exclamation
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 10:38am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I´m not sure about this, but when the ball is tossed shouldn´t it fall at the same place (vertical toss)?

Almost true, not quite.  The ITTF has a document called the Handbook for Match Officials in which they provide guidance for how straight the toss should be.  This version is from 2014, it is the most recent version I could find, although a new one is probably soon due or maybe I missed it. 

http://www.ittf.com/URC/PDF/HMO_15th_edition.pdf

In section 10.3.1 they provide a little diagram for how straight the toss should be.  It is based on angle, so depending on height of toss, you may get more actual lateral movement of the ball.  As you can see, it's not all that precise because in the real world, an umpire would not be able to measure that precisely.  It clearly allows the umpire the latitude to make a judgment.  They do not demand that the toss is perfectly straight.  They want it to be "near vertical".  What is that?  Well, not 45 degrees they are clear about that.  Would 22.5 degrees be ok?  Maybe.    Among top pros, you very rarely see perfectly straight tosses, especially on reverse pendulum serves (actually one of the few players who makes that serve with a straight toss is Timo Boll).  I have almost never seen someone called for this. 

10.3.1  The server is required to throw the ball “near vertically” upwards and it must rise at least 16 cm after leaving his or her hand. This means it must rise within a few degrees of the vertical, rather than within the angle of 45 degrees that was formerly specified, and that it must rise far enough for the umpire to be sure that it is thrown upwards and not sideways or diagonally. In Diagram 10.3.1.1services B and C are acceptable, whilst A and D are not. The height of the toss is also a factor in determining whether the toss is near vertical. In Diagram 10.3.1. 2 the ball is projected from, and struck at, the same place, but service A is a fault, whilst B is acceptable.
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 11:11am
Those serves may be technically illegal, but I would be happy with his serves as an opponent because contact is nice and clear.

Hidden contact disturbs me far more than whether or not the ball was thrown up from below the table or not quite straight enough.
PointEngineer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PointEngineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by ttTurkey ttTurkey wrote:

Those serves may be technically illegal, but I would be happy with his serves as an opponent because contact is nice and clear.

Hidden contact disturbs me far more than whether or not the ball was thrown up from below the table or not quite straight enough.

That hits the nail on the head.  However I would also add these cases as bigger problems than those in the video.

i) if server hits the ball on its rise (confusing to estimate spin),
ii) if throw is backwards be some angle of 45 degrees or more (difficult to estimate possible extra backspin), 
iii) if throw less than the 16cm (reaction time issues).
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by rosecitytt rosecitytt wrote:

This is [top player] in international events,
i can see a lot of problem with these serves,
What do you think?

Are serves like this legal?  Hell yeah, so long as an umpire doesn't call them.  The rules for serves are, well, kinda convoluted, and there are lots of ways to serve illegally as opposed to serving legally, which could risk death by banana flick.  So that's what players do.  It's as global as climate change.  

Nobody simply puts the damn ball into play anymore.  That went out about the same time as the Hudson Hornet.

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 3:26pm
what advantage can the server acquire by dipping the ball below the table surface? I was told a few times that I do it, but honestly, it is completely subconscious. I though about this actually, and I found that ironically, the only time I do it when I toss the ball very high, just to get some extra swing. But if the ball goes up 5 feet in the air and is perfectly visible the whole time, what is wrong with dipping it below the table? I tried not dipping it, and curiously, it disturbs my high toss serve. I have to start higher, and then end the tossing motion too high for my liking. 
Funny, the guy who actually made me aware of this is the worst server in our club. NEVER tosses the ball, but he is an older guy and nobody wants to argue with him and they let him get away with it. That serve obviously bothered him because it goes to his body with a lot of energy and all kinds of nasty spin that even I dont exactly tell, but it gave me a chuckle to get called for dipping the ball on a 5 feet (sometimes I toss it 10 feet actually) toss, by a person who hasn't tossed in his life..
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Nobody simply puts the damn ball into play anymore.  That went out about the same time as the Hudson Hornet.

Of course not.  It's a racket sport.  You use the serve to your advantage or you're an idiot.

VTC makes a good point about dropping the toss hand below the table just before the toss.  No advantage is gained by it.  But Tim gets called for it because the rules don't allow it, he does it a lot, and I suspect umpires are now clued in that they should look for it.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 4:08pm
I guessing the reason they have this rule is because people used to do things to the ball under the table (like finger spinning it) while the other guy couldn't see.

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

VTC makes a good point about dropping the toss hand below the table just before the toss.  No advantage is gained by it.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 4:10pm
The toss above table surface was put into effect '82-83, along with ball must not be struck beyond the rearmost part of the server from the table.  I wonder what led to that change.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 4:18pm
82-83?? That's pretty late. I thought finger spin when serving was in hard bat era, as inverted/sandwich rubbers make more than enough serve spin themselves.

Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

The toss above table surface was put into effect '82-83, along with ball must not be struck beyond the rearmost part of the server from the table.  I wonder what led to that change.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 4:44pm
The first toss rule actually came into effect in '67.  At that time, only the free hand must be above playing surface.  Starting in '82, both the free hand and racket must be above playing surface, from start of service until ball is struck.

Then in 2002, the racket above table surface was dropped and ball may be struck anywhere beyond server's endline so long as it is not blocked.

Edited by zeio - 04/01/2016 at 4:49pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 4:50pm
I was referring to the later part of video, where Umpire did not call warning or fault.
The red shirt did not toss the ball, but the hand with the ball together goes up, then ball was released sideways.  The ball did not go  6inch up above palm,  that looks strange

Edited by rosecitytt - 04/01/2016 at 4:52pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 4:53pm
Try to umpire once in real time and you will understand how hard it is to keep (right) track of so many things from the sideline.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Of course not.  It's a racket sport.  You use the serve to your advantage or you're an idiot.

VTC makes a good point about dropping the toss hand below the table just before the toss.  No advantage is gained by it.  But Tim gets called for it because the rules don't allow it, he does it a lot, and I suspect umpires are now clued in that they should look for it.

In the day Baal, when you were but a gleam in your father's eye, we put the ball into play with our rustic weapons, and naturally to our advantage, but a sidespin serve made with a rustic weapon could be returned without a great deal of difficulty to the backhand side of the table or to the middle. Danny Vegh,  my first coach and a student of Hall of Famer Tibor Hazi, understood this.  So did Coleman Clark and Don Siegel, who in a movie short made in 1936 demonstrated (Clark serving, Siegel returning) that it wasn't terribly difficult if you played well to return a sidespin serve.   A hard topspin serve to the backhand or a hard relatively spinless serve deep to the backhand, a la Reisman, whose services were Occam's Razor simple compared to today's contortionists, could elicit a weak block or possibly a backhand chop, which Reisman could open up against with either a forehand or a backhand topspin so as to either end the point immediately or, more to spectators' pleasure, let a point begin to, in his own words, blossom.

In the day three ball or five ball kills were rare.  Who'd watch the bloody sport if they were commonplace?  Now you serve illegally so as to end a point as quickly as possible and you don't serve legally because any miscue could result in demise by humiliation.

In the day when two world class players played one another, particularly in the 1940s, serves were pretty straightforward.  There may be three reasons for this:  a hard rubber racket is not capable of applying ridiculously excessive spin, world class players had no difficulty returning sidespin serves, including Vana's semi-tomahawk, and spectators were more interested in seeing a match where world class table tennis players, like skilled prizefighters, could transition from offense to defense and spectators could understand far more than they can now how and why this could be done.

In the best hard rubber table tennis I have witnessed both in person and on film, players after the serve and the service return used their game to their advantage, to the delight and satisfaction of those who watched them.  Not to have done so would have been idiocy.

bmann1942

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 5:17pm
@Zeio:
I did have the experience  serving as Umpire at the 2014 National Trial (at Weleyan).  It does require a lot of coffee to keep me sharp to check all the angles. It was surreal to watch those high level play and had to keep up with the fast ball. In general, women serve very much according to the rules.

Edited by rosecitytt - 04/01/2016 at 6:17pm
Darker Speed OEM 10mm Jpen
FH:Beijing Swords
RPB:Tenergy 05 2.1
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 5:18pm
What game are you talking about? You mean using speed, spin and placement to score a point, right? Why not try that right off the bat from the 1st shot?

In the best hard rubber table tennis I have witnessed both in person and on film, players after the serve and the service return used their game to their advantage, to the delight and satisfaction of those who watched them.  Not to have done so would have been idiocy.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

What game are you talking about? You mean using speed, spin and placement to score a point, right? Why not try that right off the bat from the 1st shot?

I am talking about the version of table tennis that was played by recreational players, club players, elite players, national class players and world class players from the founding of the ITTF in 1926 to the advent of various kinds of sponge rubber rackets in the early 1950s.

In those days, speed and placement were used to try to score points by attacking players, but a capable defensive player might be able to return your hardest topspins with underspin from 10-15 feet back of his side of the table.  As I wrote in a previous post, many capable players, such as my 23 year old self, and just about all world class players were capable of playing either offensively or defensively, though naturally most players had a preference (Bohumil Vana as a forehand attacker, Richard Bergmann as a long range defender).

When I started to learn to play competitive table tennis, to try to end a point from the first shot, unless against an attacker who would try to do the same thing to you, would have been suicidal.  It can be done now for a number of reasons:  most players are attackers who play relatively close to the table, except if lobbing, and are thus susceptible to shots which go past them, are aimed at their playing elbow (a time honored tactic), or wrong foot them.  Changes in rubber technology and rubber enhancers have also made it possible for a player, even at club level, to end a point with a single shot.  Illegal services can frequently set up an opportunity for an aggressive, possibly point ending loop kill or, if you get a sitter, a smash.  These are some of the reasons why, in 2016, you can try to score a point from your very first shot (or your opponent's very first misjudgment).  Effective if done consistently and you're a consistent winner, yes.  Satisfying table tennis IMHO, no.
bmann1942
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 5:54pm
Berndt,
Hardbatters in that period didn't know the possibilities of producing superior serves, even with the hard surface.  They simply didn't know how.  I find it quite amusing that Marty couldn't return Jimmy Butler's legal corkscrew serves done with the hardbat.

Edited by roundrobin - 04/01/2016 at 7:06pm
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 7:34pm

In the day Baal ...

In the day three ball or five ball kills ...

In the day when two ...

Berndt, you've said it before and no doubt you'll say it again, you enjoy living in the past.  Which would be fine if only you weren't viewing that past through rose coloured glasses.  The stories you tell here are all highly romanticised and consistently put me in mind of the Four Yorkshiremen.

No, Berndt, not winning the point is idiocy - always has been, always will be.  Barna isn't remembered because he was pretty; he's remembered because he was a winner.  Marty Reisman isn't remembered because he was pretty, but because he was a scheming, conniving gambler who made damn sure he won.  If he happened to "blossom" along the way, it was merely to add to his lustre.  The man did have an ego the size of ... what state do you live in?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Berndt,
Hardbatters in that period didn't know the possibilities of producing superior serves, even with the hard surface.  They simply didn't know how.  I find it quite amusing that Marty couldn't return Jimmy Butler's legal corkscrew serves done with the hardbat.

At the time of the Reisman/Butler money match in Houston, Texas after the U.S.Open (July 1998) the hidden with the forearm loose grip pendulum serve was legal, even for hardbat vs. hardbat.  I, sitting next to Scott Gordon and John Tannehill, quarterfinalist in the Hardbat Open event, witnessed the entire match.

Jim Butler in 1998 was the 99th ranked player in the world.  He was 28 years old.  Marty Reisman was 40 years his senior.

I charted every one of Jim Butler's serves, forehand and backhand, for that match.  Reisman managed to return successfully approximately 67 percent of Butler's hidden loose grip pendulum serves, and 91 percent of Butler's backhand serves.  Butler had no trouble returning most of Marty's fast backhand topspin serves, but some difficulties once a rally ensued.  I do not recall any three ball kills from either player.

I have seen a 8 mm. video of table tennis play at the U.S. Open in 1958, which Reisman won at Butler's 1998 age--28.  Notable male players in that video included Norbert Van De Walle, Bernard Bukiet, John Somael, Erwin Klein and Dick Miles.  In the video I saw which Scott Gordon gave me, portions of which are available on YouTube, Reisman defeated Houshang Bozorgzadeh and Max Marinko, players of international caliber, to win the 1958 U.S. Open.

Jim Butler is a fine hardbat player, currently ranked, if I'm not mistaken, no. 1 in the United States according to www.hardbat.com.  But had Jim Butler competed nationally in 1958 against Reisman, or for that matter 10 years earlier when both were 18, and Reisman had had an opportunity to return Butler's serves, even the 1998 variety, in national or international competition, I think that I can say with some assurance that the outcome of any hypothetical match between the two of them, or between Jim Butler and any world class hard rubber player of the mid-1940s to early 1950s would have been quite different, corkscrew serves or no, hidden or not.
bmann1942
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

In the day Baal ...

In the day three ball or five ball kills ...

In the day when two ...

Berndt, you've said it before and no doubt you'll say it again, you enjoy living in the past.  Which would be fine if only you weren't viewing that past through rose coloured glasses.  The stories you tell here are all highly romanticised and consistently put me in mind of the Four Yorkshiremen.

No, Berndt, not winning the point is idiocy - always has been, always will be.  Barna isn't remembered because he was pretty; he's remembered because he was a winner.  Marty Reisman isn't remembered because he was pretty, but because he was a scheming, conniving gambler who made damn sure he won.  If he happened to "blossom" along the way, it was merely to add to his lustre.  The man did have an ego the size of ... what state do you live in?

Most esteemed Tassie52,

You don't win the 1949 British Open, or even for that matter a hard rubber National Championship at age 68 simply by being a "scheming, conniving gambler who made damn sure he won".  Do you really think that the 38 year old Victor Barna wanted to lose the final of one of the most prestigious championships next to the World Championship to a 19 year old upstart who schemed, connived, and bamboozled his way to victory in five hard fought games against Barna?  And do you suppose Reisman could have bribed Hiroji Satoh to lose to him at the 1952 World Championships in Bombay?  Satoh, not Reisman, became World Singles Champion that year as I'm sure you're well aware, in no small part thanks to, um, you know, sponge.  

As for Reisman's ego, you do have a point there.  Reisman was not the least bit shy about his skill as a table tennis player, and if you've read his book The Money Player, he gambled with partner Doug Cartland against stables of table tennis players sponsored by potentates from maharajas to far eastern VIPs in various countries (French Indo-China, Thailand, Japan, the Phillipines), did a fair amount of smuggling to keep himself fed, and played for military script along with Cartland at various military bases in the Far East.  

Shortly before he died in 2012, he told me in a phone conversation that some of the best matches at the World Championships and other important world tournaments he attended took place in the practice rooms before actual competition was to begin.  Hundreds of dollars would change hands after a win or loss.  And Reisman could not bribe the likes of Bergmann, Barna, Sido, Leach, Pagliaro or Miles to lose to him deliberately either for ill-gotten loot or for cash.  

Reisman had in competition a winning or an even record against the World Champions of his day except for Vana, to whom he lost twice.

Finally, Tassie53, I only enjoy living in the hard rubber table tennis past.  I do not miss Hitler (I was born in 1942), Jim Crow, prejudice and lynchings, polio, scarlet fever, rheumatic fever, smallpox, cowpox, whooping cough, 2-4-D insecticide,  five years of shots for allergies, Senator Joe McCarthy, the Cold War, the Korean and Vietnam Wars, and the Cuban Missile Crisis.  I don't miss Joe Stalin, Jomo Kenyatta or Mao Zedong.  I don't miss iceboxes and no air conditioning.  I don't miss living in a small Bible Belt town where every third person you came across would ask you if you had yet to accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior.  

Give me a break about all of this living in the past nonsense.  I am very much a part of 2016, though I find aspects of 2016 to run the gamut from dreadful to sorrowful to bloody amusing.

Edited by berndt_mann - 04/01/2016 at 9:48pm
bmann1942
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 9:35pm
In my day
 The reason the both serves are  hard to return is because the ball is dragged sideways, then dipped below the table, then pulled more left then the arm goes up with the serve then released at the same time pulling the arm away, the 2nd serve has the extra thing of cheating by dropping the ball behind the arm without trying to toss the ball up.
 Your brain would have to calculate so many things
 Wouldn't the near vertical rule be broken regardless of the below the table drop and the 2 inch toss

I remember Ma long had that trick serve of arm going up then dropping the ball (I vaguely remember him being in trouble for that serve?)
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 10:55pm

Jim Butler is a fine hardbat player, currently ranked, if I'm not mistaken, no. 1 in the United States according to www.hardbat.com.  But had Jim Butler competed nationally in 1958 against Reisman, or for that matter 10 years earlier when both were 18, and Reisman had had an opportunity to return Butler's serves, even the 1998 variety, in national or international competition, I think that I can say with some assurance that the outcome of any hypothetical match between the two of them, or between Jim Butler and any world class hard rubber player of the mid-1940s to early 1950s would have been quite different, corkscrew serves or no, hidden or not.

How the heck would you know that?  Wink  Those hardbat players were not only technically MUCH inferior compared to today's standards, their physical conditioning were even worse...

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

How the heck would you know that?  Wink  Those hardbat players were not only technically MUCH inferior compared to today's standards, their physical conditioning were even worse...

I don't really want to get into a pissing match featuring me vs. the MYTT hardbat disparaging posting world (you and Tassie52), but let's assume for the sake of argument that you are right (although Leach is said to have practiced 8 hours a day, Bergmann ran 6 miles every day before dawn in addition to trying to discover twenty different ways to make a stroke, Bellak was a fine swimmer and diver and in his prime stronger looking than Ma Lin or Ma Wenge as was Coleman Clark at age 48, and Jimmy McClure and Victor Barna were very good tennis players as well as world champion table tennis players.)  And Miles and Reisman basically did nothing in their formative years but play table tennis.  Somehow they survived, and eventually both became rather prosperous.  Glamorous, huh?

Soooo......given all this wonderful present day technique, and the equally wonderful table tennis technology and sports science that supports it, what would happen to today's greats if a malevolent table tennis froggy were to plunk his magic twanger and their (IMO over)conditioning were to remain but their nuclear weaponry were to disappear.  Well we don't know.  And proving a hypothetical is impossible; the only thing to do is give arguments that seem reasonable best because of evidence witnessed as opposed to hearsay or simple opinion.

i would love to see a hardbat match between Ma Long and the hardbat champion of France, Jean-Paul Carquin, who is predominantly a two-winged attacker but who like the greats of old can also defend.  Being able to defend is not a sign of lesser manhood or womanhood.  It requires excellent peripheral vision, strong legs, sound side to side and up and back footwork, endurance, and excellent control.  If it were possible, I'd love to see a 3 of 5 38 mm. 21 point match between Bergmann and Ma, hb/hb of course, no foul serving please but attack and defend at will.

But I'd be willing to settle for a no expedite rule hypothetical pushfest between any present day top twenty player and either Alex Ehrlich or Paneth Farkas.  And Chinese takeout for me, please.

And oh yeah, just to make you and Tassie happy, I'll stipulate that any world class or even national class player worth his Dianchi oiled Doubtfire would crucify even the great Barna, 2016 boosted inverted plus illegal serves against the legendary Barna hardbat.  I'm not quite ready to say, however, that that would necessarily happen if the great attackers of today would in the universe of my imagination were to draw down hb/hb against the great attacker/defenders of old even given some of their funky individualistic techniques and lack of access to the training available to anyone with either sufficient TT aptitude or money (or better both) who lives in a country with a Ministry of Sport or a coterie of folk who take and can play modern table tennis seriously in modern table tennis facilities.

Now back to your regularly scheduled what's wrong with the serves in the video question the OP asked.

Edited by berndt_mann - 04/02/2016 at 12:22am
bmann1942
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2016 at 2:09am
The argument over hardbat versus modern play is interesting, as it always is, but also pointless and quite off-topic.  I also think it's completely unfair to claim that modern technique is so much superior to technique of then.  Ditto for comparing physical conditioning.  Different era, different needs.  People did what worked best then, and unless someone builds a time machine, we're not going to know the truth.

For Timothy's serves, the most glaring and easily called error is dipping the hand below the table.  Questions on verticalality and toss height are more subjective, but dipping  below the table is a simple yes or no question.

If you really want to end the quick 3-hit rally, make the serve less important in the rally.  That's why rallies lasted longer in the days of hardbat -- serves didn't matter that much.  Anyway, find a way to make serves less important and your rallies will longer.

I actually made the suggestion a while back that we should make rallies worth 2 points after a certain number of hits (4, 6, ?).  So if you go for the quick point, you only score one point and if you emphasize the rally, then you score two. Of course, the games would need to last longer than 11.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2016 at 2:26am
And down the rabbit hole we disappear again...

Berndt, could you please point out to me where I have "disparaged" hardbat?  In my previous posts in this thread, the only thing I have sought to disparage is the rose coloured glasses you wear.  As far as I can see (and have experienced myself), hardbat is a demanding and thoroughly enjoyable enterprise.  If I had to name the "greatest table tennis player of all time", it would be a toss up between Barna and Waldner.  The issue is not whether or not the hb players of yesteryear were great players; nor is the issue whether or not they would beat today's players hb vs hb (of course they would: hb was their bread and butter); nor is the issue whether or not hardbat is easier on the eye (beauty being purely in the eye of the beholder).  

The only issue I have is the nonsense that modern table tennis is somehow inferior because it's played at an insane pace.  For crying out loud, it is what it is.  We have two choices: 1. come to accept that the modern game is what modern table tennis players want to play, or 2. whinge.  I choose 1.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2016 at 3:22am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

The argument over hardbat versus modern play is interesting, as it always is, but also pointless and quite off-topic.  I also think it's completely unfair to claim that modern technique is so much superior to technique of then.  Ditto for comparing physical conditioning.  Different era, different needs.  People did what worked best then, and unless someone builds a time machine, we're not going to know the truth.

Haha...do you really think Wilt Chamberlain would have done as well in Jordan's NBA era (or Detroit "Bad Boys" Pistons' when hard fouls were rampant), or Bill Russell would have still won 11 NBA titles today with just one team?  If so, I have a bridge to sell ya. Wink

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2016 at 5:11am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

And down the rabbit hole we disappear again...

Berndt, could you please point out to me where I have "disparaged" hardbat?  In my previous posts in this thread, the only thing I have sought to disparage is the rose coloured glasses you wear.  As far as I can see (and have experienced myself), hardbat is a demanding and thoroughly enjoyable enterprise.  If I had to name the "greatest table tennis player of all time", it would be a toss up between Barna and Waldner.  The issue is not whether or not the hb players of yesteryear were great players; nor is the issue whether or not they would beat today's players hb vs hb (of course they would: hb was their bread and butter); nor is the issue whether or not hardbat is easier on the eye (beauty being purely in the eye of the beholder).  

The only issue I have is the nonsense that modern table tennis is somehow inferior because it's played at an insane pace.  For crying out loud, it is what it is.  We have two choices: 1. come to accept that the modern game is what modern table tennis players want to play, or 2. whinge.  I choose 1.

Tassie52 View Drop Down

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options
  Thanks (0) Thanks(0)
  Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2016 at 7:00pm

We must go back to the hardbat days.
To the fine old rare old hardbat ways...
This, of course, is one opinion.  Another is:

In days of old, when knights were bold,
slow ping pong was much lamented.
We had to play the hardbat way
'til speedy sponge'd been invented.

A nice bit of verse, that.  But perhaps ever so slightly disparaging.  Slow ping pong much lamented?  Tell that to the Knight With the Woeful Countenance.  Quixote's forehand smash was once clocked by the equipment of his day, maybe not all that accurate, at around 97 miles per hour.

Opinions are opinions.  If I had to go with the two greatest male players, I'd say Barna and Ogimura.  For the women, Angelica Rozeanu, Ruth Aarons, Lily Yip (all hardbatters) and Deng Ya Ping (I'm pretty sure she used sponge).Shocked

There are hundreds of millions of table tennis players world wide.  How many of them would you guess play with speedy sponge?

Good night, Tassie52.  It's 2:09 a.m. here in the American southwest and time to go back to bed.

You weren't too complimentary to the late Marty Reisman, in this post, one of the better hardbatters of all time.  Reisman was a gambler:  true.  Did he make sure that he won every match?  No.

Did you disparage hardbat in this post?  Actually, no.  Did you write the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about that particular hardbat player?  Actually no either.

And did I write
that you disparaged hardbat in this particular post?
No I did not.

Edited by berndt_mann - 04/02/2016 at 5:32am
bmann1942
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic