Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

how to beat players who are good at blocking?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
ninglei23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninglei23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to beat players who are good at blocking?
    Posted: 05/04/2011 at 3:08am
I really have a big problem with this kind of players and also this technique.I have a good FH and spin ofcourse when it is blocked it will be very fast and I can't do anything.do you guys know how to beat this kind players?thank you very much in advance Smile
Yinhe V-14
FH:Xiom Vega Pro
BH:Donic Baracuda
Sponsored Links

khris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 3:31am
I don't know if this can help but at least it works for me most of the times when I play against good at blocking players. I focus more on the spin instead of the speed because as you said, when a fast ball is blocked, it will return really fast. Playing with more sidespin and a topspin with more spin they have a hard time keeping the ball on the table. Other thing is using parallel FH and BH, because they are always prepared for blocking regular FH and BH, but that's more of a normal tip to surprise your opponent.
khris
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 3:35am
If the blocker has a poor attacking game, you can slow down your game a bit and focus all your power on spin.  Use your legs and push off to get as much spin on the ball as possible.  You will start to see that those blocks missing the table.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 3:53am
hoping that he's only good at blocking (and not counterlooping any weak shots), you're only hope is to set up the point. as everyone else said, put more emphasis on spin rather than speed. also make sure to have good placement so you won't be out of position for the next ball.

here's a quick video link where i actually managed to do that (only once in a while since i'm not even that consistent).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQVpYaScoc&t=1m15s
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 4:41am
Blockers love consistent topspin, but hate variation, so vary the amount of topspin, slow roll, flat hit and heavy topspin to make life hard and make them think.
Blockers are most vunerable if you give them what they want (topspin) allowing them to block, then give them a flat ball, making them either produce a stroke or put the ball in the net.
 whatever you do, your objective should be to make them constantly need to adjust their bat angle.
 'Pushblockers', players who use LP's to block close to the table, are more sensitive to variations in Pace, placement and depth, rather than spin, which if you don't know what you are doing, will work against you.
The Older I get, The better I was.
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 4:49am
Footwork.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 5:20am
Blocking is a natural counter to looping, so no wonder that you may have difficulties against it. Slowing your shots while increasing spin may work since they have to change their stroke to kind of a punch-block against it (which they may be able to execute well – or not), but usually you have to vary your placement a lot – especially go for wide angles whenever possible (you don’t have to rush your shots against blockers, take your time and execute it well), ideally with some sidespin.
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 7:05am
If your forehand is really good than you should able to vary the spin.
Use sliced serves and make him push first. Than use very spinny but slow topspins with placement.
Serv long topspin than loop everthing = bad idea!

Edited by TSuBaSa - 05/04/2011 at 7:07am
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

TT over Study View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT over Study Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 7:37am
maybe try giving them nothing, like block it back to them slow
ninglei23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninglei23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 9:38am
tpgh2k thank you for sharing those videos.we sure have a lot in common(our shots our not that consistent)
Yinhe V-14
FH:Xiom Vega Pro
BH:Donic Baracuda
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 11:10am
If you can make them move, you are doing the right thing (A moving blocker often turns to a lobber, just watch Jun Mizutani matches).  If they stay in one place and you are the one who run side to side, your shots are too short and/or the replacement is too predictable.

Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
ttEDGE - William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 12:55pm
I'm with APW46 here. Varying the height, depth, spin and placement of your topspins is a great tactic. Also, blockers are generally strong in the middle of their FH and BH sides but are much weaker out wide to the FH, side to the BH or in the pocket.
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 1:10pm
Many ways to beat the blocker. For short term, Loop then Smash or smash only. Serve top spin  more than back spin then smash. No spin then smash........ For long term, You need to practice more looping as top spin, and side spin. Make them move before they make you move.
ttEDGE - William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 2:24pm
That's a good point TTHOUSTON. Blockers often have good long pushes with heavy backspin which force you to lift your first topspin more than you'd like. That gives them more options on their first block and they are able to place the ball well and vary between slow blocks and fast blocks.

Short topspin serves can be a good way to make this tactic more difficult to access for the blocker.
iCanLoopHard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iCanLoopHard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 3:52pm
gotta have a strong put away shot, if you dont then u just gotta be ready for the ball to come back and u need to focus on placement and consistency
Sponsored by Sportscraft
US Rating 2004
MJ fh:to5 bh:t64
photino,klhs
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 4:00pm
Some good replies here, 1 extra thing is becareful on doing a allout loop with a big swing as I guess in your case he is already blocking while your arm is still over your left shoulder. So practice quicker recovery and maybe shorter backswing
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 5:10pm
another insight. if you are forced away from the table, safe loop!!! get some arc into your shot so that you have time to get back close to the table for a good loop drive (kill shot). if you don't have a kill shot, you really need to move him around (like everyone else said)
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 6:07pm
Powerlooping against a good blocker is end of point if the ball goes where the blocker expects it. It really helps to be able to send the ball to the three big zones at will: the playing elbow, and each corner wide angle. Otherwise, you will have to work the blocker a bit to get that open area to crush it. As said before, changing the spin really helps and many blockers are like a wall in the middle. Of course a good varied serve will wreck havoc with anyone not on top of the receive game. A spinny, slow ball is nice, but a lot of blockers know the bat angles to block, plus the slow speed lets them be there. The better ones do an active block and turn your spin into speed, so the slow, spinny thing doesn't always work, although it can agaist a lot. Depth of shot is important. It is much easier to block a shot that lands halfway between net and endline. The height is optimal for hte blocker to land it safely while keeping pace on the ball. If you cannot work the blocker and get an open area to power it by, then the suggestions of Andy and William about using a flatter finishing shot are nice as well. When there is time, a good blocker can adjust his angle as the blocker has enough time to compute everything, think, and execute a good block. With a powershot that has much less spin, the blocker has little time to figure it out.

I guess the checklist would go:

- Avoid middle, unless doing a weak shot to setup an angle
- Change spins
- Place loops near endline or the slow, spinny ones just over net or on endline
- Try to move blocker around and finish to open area
- Use a spinny opener, slow speed, then a power shot with little spin
- Do NOT powerloop FH from BH corner, unless you are VERY certain to hit by the blocker, you are asking for the end of point
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 6:11pm
Usually I put less speed and more spin on the ball, relying on footwork to beat the blocker. I will try the short topspin serves, more flat hitting and really spinny loops. 
danie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Powerlooping against a good blocker is end of point if the ball goes where the blocker expects it. It really helps to be able to send the ball to the three big zones at will: the playing elbow, and each corner wide angle. Otherwise, you will have to work the blocker a bit to get that open area to crush it. As said before, changing the spin really helps and many blockers are like a wall in the middle. Of course a good varied serve will wreck havoc with anyone not on top of the receive game. A spinny, slow ball is nice, but a lot of blockers know the bat angles to block, plus the slow speed lets them be there. The better ones do an active block and turn your spin into speed, so the slow, spinny thing doesn't always work, although it can agaist a lot. Depth of shot is important. It is much easier to block a shot that lands halfway between net and endline. The height is optimal for hte blocker to land it safely while keeping pace on the ball. If you cannot work the blocker and get an open area to power it by, then the suggestions of Andy and William about using a flatter finishing shot are nice as well. When there is time, a good blocker can adjust his angle as the blocker has enough time to compute everything, think, and execute a good block. With a powershot that has much less spin, the blocker has little time to figure it out.

- Change spins
- Do NOT powerloop FH from BH corner, unless you are VERY certain to hit by the blocker, you are asking for the end of point

one question I have to ask here is, why don't powerloop from the BH corner with our FH? Let me guess,he'll block to the corner of the FH side? Not sure why you say that, but I always powerloop against a blocker from the BH corner with my FH. The solution to get the ball if it is blocked wide to your FH corner is sidestepping,which is basically footwork, no worries, just powerloop with FH from BH corner and sidestep. Maybe hard for most of you guys, as you all are already adults( not to mean you're old,but the adults here are mostly around their 30s or 40s) and I'm still a teenager
PongPong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PongPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 8:11pm

distract him or pray. I cannot think of another way.

walleyeguy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyeguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 11:12pm
take the ball later and move it around a lot
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 11:41pm
I am a looper too having hard time with good blockers. One of the tip I try to apply when playing one is to play the center (elbow) for oppening loops and focus on footwork. Also, after every shot, no matter how good it is, I mentally get prepared to play another one. I also noticed they are easier to surprise with BH loops than with FH's (maybe due to the shorter preparation).
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by ninglei23 ninglei23 wrote:

I really have a big problem with this kind of players and also this technique.I have a good FH and spin ofcourse when it is blocked it will be very fast and I can't do anything.do you guys know how to beat this kind players?thank you very much in advance Smile

Really good blockers can test your footwork in a hurry, so your best bet is to stay in position for your shots.  Do not take a big swing if you are not setup in the proper position to follow through.  Always come back to ready position... Be ready for 5th and 7th ball at all times and don't hit more than 60% full power.  Go to two deep corners more often than you would against attackers.  The goal is to extend their arm to reach for the ball to get them out of position.
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 12:13am
Originally posted by danie danie wrote:

Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

- Change spins

one question I have to ask here is, why don't powerloop from the BH corner with our FH? Let me guess,he'll block to the corner of the FH side? Not sure why you say that, but I always powerloop against a blocker from the BH corner with my FH. The solution to get the ball if it is blocked wide to your FH corner is sidestepping,which is basically footwork, no worries, just powerloop with FH from BH corner and sidestep. Maybe hard for most of you guys, as you all are already adults( not to mean you're old,but the adults here are mostly around their 30s or 40s) and I'm still a teenager

And when the blocker hits the ball back to your backhand after sidestepping? Then you are forced to put the ball back on the table safely, giving the blocker another chance to expose your position away from the table, unless you are Kreanga and drill that shot. When you sidestep you basically give up control over the table. Even though that nice powerloop will go in, it won't help you if the blocker plays short or to the BH. You have to stay on the table and move the blocker around or he will move you off the table.
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 12:16am
I push and block a lot. I often play 'Return Board' for better players that want to practice their loops.  The suggestions above are good.  A mistake I see loopers make is not keeping their strokes compact or being ready for the unexpected return.  If the blocker blocks off the bounce like I do the ball will come back quickly. I often catch loopers admiring their shots. The looper is surprised when the ball comes back so quickly.  If I kept my block low the looper loses the initiative.

I think one of the keys is to have patience and the discipline to wait for the right ball.  Look at those that successfully played PushBlocker.
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 12:27am

I think the other thing about punchblockers and hitters is that their game is very precise, the margin of error is small. So the playing standards can vary quite wildly, even in the course of a game, especially for those who dont get to practice 6 times a week.

This is rather a dirty strategy, but slowing the game when they are playing well, and vice versa is especially good. And if they hit some magic shots in the beginning, even a few times in a row, dont assume that those shots will land later on, so be a bit more prepared to test throughout the game.

Also, if they get on fire, do not stoke the fire and keep looping high ones for them to bash. Almost better to kill yourself than let then get more smash-happy. The advice about mixing spin and position also prevents them from getting too comfortable and dialed-in.

I used to drive/punchblock a lot with minimal topspin, and it was extremely common to destroy someone 21-7 in one game and then lose 7-21 the next. Ive now started spinning more, the lack of consistency was psychologically too disturbing... :P
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
Infinite.Potential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinite.Potential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 12:28am
My number one thought when playing a blocker is to hit shots deep into the blockers court (close to the white line).  There are multiple benefits to this tactic with two primary benefits, the first is that it provides additional time for you to recover allowing you to be better prepared for your next shot and second it limits the angles that the blocker can use against you. 

All the other suggestions seem reasonable but I think the other suggestions will work best in concert with consistently hitting the ball deep into the blockers court.

Good Luck!

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 2:53am
Originally posted by Infinite.Potential Infinite.Potential wrote:

My number one thought when playing a blocker is to hit shots deep into the blockers court (close to the white line).  There are multiple benefits to this tactic with two primary benefits, the first is that it provides additional time for you to recover allowing you to be better prepared for your next shot and second it limits the angles that the blocker can use against you. 

All the other suggestions seem reasonable but I think the other suggestions will work best in concert with consistently hitting the ball deep into the blockers court.

Good Luck!

In TT, we tend to call the 'court' the playing area, and the 'court' that you are referring to as 'the table', unless you have logged on to the wrong forum and are talking about tennis. I get your idea, however TT is a game of small margins, and looping deep carries the obvious liability of inconsistency. I think you are a tennis player.
The Older I get, The better I was.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 3:06am
agreed. driving a ball that's close to the edge or that bounces mid table is still going to come back to you pretty fast. it won't give you time to recover. the only thing that does that is either forcing a weak block from the opponent or safe looping the ball yourself (high arc)....

if you have insane footwork and reactions, then you can definitely recover from a loop drive and do another one =).
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic