Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how to beat players who are good at blocking?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
PenSpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PenSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by ninglei23 ninglei23 wrote:

I think I am around 1200 0r 1100 Wink

Well based on this, I would say your loop probably isn't very strong or spinny, if it were you could just overpower a blocker at that level. So you should try to get a powerful loop and overpower him.
Sponsored Links

danie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by cls2222 cls2222 wrote:

Originally posted by danie danie wrote:

Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Powerlooping against a good blocker is end of point if the ball goes where the blocker expects it. It really helps to be able to send the ball to the three big zones at will: the playing elbow, and each corner wide angle. Otherwise, you will have to work the blocker a bit to get that open area to crush it. As said before, changing the spin really helps and many blockers are like a wall in the middle. Of course a good varied serve will wreck havoc with anyone not on top of the receive game. A spinny, slow ball is nice, but a lot of blockers know the bat angles to block, plus the slow speed lets them be there. The better ones do an active block and turn your spin into speed, so the slow, spinny thing doesn't always work, although it can agaist a lot. Depth of shot is important. It is much easier to block a shot that lands halfway between net and endline. The height is optimal for hte blocker to land it safely while keeping pace on the ball. If you cannot work the blocker and get an open area to power it by, then the suggestions of Andy and William about using a flatter finishing shot are nice as well. When there is time, a good blocker can adjust his angle as the blocker has enough time to compute everything, think, and execute a good block. With a powershot that has much less spin, the blocker has little time to figure it out.

I guess the checklist would go:

- Avoid middle, unless doing a weak shot to setup an angle

- Change spins

- Place loops near endline or the slow, spinny ones just over net or on endline

- Try to move blocker around and finish to open area

- Use a spinny opener, slow speed, then a power shot with little spin

- Do NOT powerloop FH from BH corner, unless you are VERY certain to hit by the blocker, you are asking for the end of point

one question I have to ask here is, why don't powerloop from the BH corner with our FH? Let me guess,he'll block to the corner of the FH side? Not sure why you say that, but I always powerloop against a blocker from the BH corner with my FH. The solution to get the ball if it is blocked wide to your FH corner is sidestepping,which is basically footwork, no worries, just powerloop with FH from BH corner and sidestep. Maybe hard for most of you guys, as you all are already adults( not to mean you're old,but the adults here are mostly around their 30s or 40s) and I'm still a teenager

And when the blocker hits the ball back to your backhand after sidestepping? Then you are forced to put the ball back on the table safely, giving the blocker another chance to expose your position away from the table, unless you are Kreanga and drill that shot. When you sidestep you basically give up control over the table. Even though that nice powerloop will go in, it won't help you if the blocker plays short or to the BH. You have to stay on the table and move the blocker around or he will move you off the table.

I didn't say sidestep immediately after you make your powerloop, obviously you have to wait and see where the ball goes to,but if you see the ball going to your forehand,sidestep straight away. Maybe you guys can't do that, but I can, I was using heavy equipment since I was young and was force to recover fast,so I guess I kind of have a very fast recovery,though not as fast as the pros I guess, but I often do this,and it always works,the blocker can't get the ball at all. And, instead of just putting more speed, you have another option and that is to put less speed and put more sidespin into the loop,both works for me,though I put more sidespin than speed on that shot.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by ninglei23 ninglei23 wrote:

I think I am around 1200 0r 1100 Wink
And this is the point (yawn) I am trying to make. It is all well and good quoting what is the right thing to do against 'blockers' from books/coaches etc, but what has to be taken into account is the level of the player asking the question. Quoting passages from books? always written by experts, pro's, advanced players, is always totally correct advice, it has to be, they have proved it, but what has to be taken into account is the real fact that the implementation of the advice given can realistically be realised by the recipient. It 99 times of a 100 can't because the recipient does not  play/practice enough to realistically realise the advice given, even though the advice is rock solid correct.
So quoting such totally correct facts such as;
'Hit into the deep court'
 Backed up by the totally correct fact that;
'Top players practice this'

Is IMO bad advice for a US 1200 player, he struggles to hit the table at any depth, let alone what the pro's practice.

We are all wrapped up in advice, taken from the top it is always difficult to argue against it, but 99% of us need advice that we can realistically manage help our games, and unfortunately only 1% of us can implement that advice, and the 1% generally don't need it because they are part of national programs.
The Older I get, The better I was.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 5:51pm
so APW, would you agree that an applicable suggestion would be to get more arc into his shots?
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

so APW, would you agree that an applicable suggestion would be to get more arc into his shots?
 Phew, let be think about that.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 5:55pm
I would say that at US 1200 standard, he just needs to hit the table one more time than the other guy. (rule number 1)
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I would say that at US 1200 standard, he just needs to hit the table one more time than the other guy. (rule number 1)

that's a part i was trying to say in my post in other words, lol.

the thing is that rule number one is valid to all levels.

if trying to get the ball in the elbow the ball flies out of the table, there is nothing to do.

instead the elbow (a narrow goal) try to put the ball in the free side of the table.

Edited by ejmaster - 05/06/2011 at 7:27pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 11:16pm
landing the ball one more time than the opponent is good and so is
the good blockers use my speed and spin againt me so I play an all round game

You must play just out side of the blockers comfort zone but within your comfort zone.  If you can't do that the blocker will win unless you get lucky with a lot of risky shots. There isn't any magic.

danie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 12:52am

Danie, I said it was not a good idea to powerloop (with a steparound FH) from the BH corner with a FH, unless you were pretty sure to finish the point right there. Otherwise, it is too easy to fast block it away from you for an easy winner. I don't care how young my opponent is. If they step around and try to blast a FH by me AND I can block fast block it back to the FH, the point is over, no matter how young they are or even if they know exactly what I am about to do. If they put too much "Hot Sauce" on that ball and I fast block it away, point is simply over. That happens to me on attack when I get too greedy and hit it where they are expecting it. The ones who do a safer block... yes, those balls have the chance for the attacker to get to and still attack strong, either with power or spin.

I see your point about the difference in the abilities of a 40+ dude and a teens/young 20's player to recover and get to a ball on the wide FH. Still, hitting a powershot like that out of position a foot or more from the side of the table invites a quick end to the point if the blocker can see it and be there. Then again, a lot of good offensive players are really good at disguising where they will hit until it is too late. A lot of Koreans here are very good at that.

On receive, I essentially have become a blocker, until I can see a chance to take over control of the point. (Like a long serve in my power zones or loose ball) I push deliberately to the BH corner and FH corner, wanting the opponent to move and attack, so I can block it away from them and get them on my Yo-Yo (moving them back and forth almost at will), until they miss or give me a chance to go ballistic on them. This works if I can tell where they are about to attack. This doesn't work if my push is low quality and the attacker is too smooth in his arm/wrist control at impact. (and has good power/high landing%) Those jokers (Usually high level J-Penners) are a bad day for me and force me to try giving them a half-long push to attack more with spin than power, which I soft block to keep them attacking to miss, or fast block it to an uncomfortable spot.  

Another tactic, which would likely be advocated with someone with an excellent BH, like William TTEdge, is to use the BH to open if the ball in coming to your BH. You can still get heavy spin and if the block is not almost perfect, you set yourself up to blast away with speed/spin, or pure speed as suggested before. The BH can be quite sudden and a point ending shot as you can make it difficult to forsee the racket angle at impact, because a small change in timing totally alters the angle of the shot and the stroke is so fast that sometimes it can just be too late. However, it can be hard to make a good judgement on which balls to attack with BH and which ones not to do so.

A good reason why looping to half deep (halfway between net and endline depth), then looping near endline, is that it is very difficult for the blocker to establish/maintain rythm. In RSM's training video, it shows one of his tactics of blocking 2-3 times to one corner, then suddenly fast blocking down the line. That can work if you can control the point (realy more of the attacker's options, instead really controlling the point, maybe even inviting opponent to attack to a certain zone) with your blocking and knowledge/anticipation of your opponent's attack.  It is surprisingly difficult to block a medium-fast ball deep on endline, then move in and block a slow, super spinny ball that lands just over the net. The blocker has to move right up to the ball. Blocking it later is possible, but most be done more softly, plus that gives attacker more time and an easier ball to keep attacking.

Maybe also try out the reverse of the blocker's tactic. Loop a few medium loops to one side, then hit with power and low spin to the other side. That assumes blocker blocks that ball the same or you can pretty much know where it is going.

one, sidestepping is not a out of position looping technique, its a proper technique and sidestepping is the most important footwork in table tennis. Second, when I powerloop, there's onlyl a 15% chance for my opponent to block it if he is near the table. Maybe not for you, but for me,most of the time my powerloop goes through. And mind that my opponent who blocks here is a man who is around 30-40+. Well,for me,when I powerloop,no matter where they place it,I'm always able to get the ball back. 
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 2:16am
You must be really good.  Even at highest level, a down the line block against an inside out FH power loop usually a point for the blocker.  For example, watch Rye Sueng Min matches.  This happens to everybody but RSM runs around to hit with his FH all the time so you don't have wait long to see it.

I'm not a blocker, but I often play a blocking game when I'm tired or nervous, and I find it more effective against lower level 1-wing loopers.  I can push such players around and hope that they miss.  Against decent two wing loopers, it's more or less target practice for them.  The ball just coming back usually with more pace.  I have a better chance counter hit.  Maybe it's true that offense is the best defense.

I think you can see something similar when comparing Kenta vs Malin against Kenta vs Timo matches.
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 3:44am
yep, danie must be very good. you have to make sure that the ball won't come back if you commit to a fh drive from the bh corner. it could be the level of opponent too...but i highly doubt that. i really would love to see a clip of him playing so that i could get some good tips and tricks =)
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 3:51am

Well,for me,when I powerloop,no matter where they place it,I'm always able to get the ball back. 
 sounds like the words of inexperience to me.
Infinite.Potential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinite.Potential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 4:38am

I worry that providing a common platitude like this will be seen by the 1200 player as not even trying to help them. I think it’s important to be careful with platitudes because the 1200 player might start to think there isn't any reason to ask questions or try new things because they aren't good enough for someone to bother to give them the benefit of their true knowledge.

I've coached many 1200 players, hundreds in fact and while some are indeed un-coachable, the majority are and they are eager to learn about the game and are in general more than capable of taking in coaching knowledge and filtering it accord to their current understanding of the game.

A 1200 player in the US isn't a buffoon or a drooling idiot.  In fact a 1200 player would look like a very good player to someone off the street.  Making basic suggestions like hit the ball deeper into the court, hit to their middle, serve short then hit the 3rd ball long, move the ball around, etc. are not going to confound a 1200 player and it won’t wreck their game.  Would it be better to watch the 1200 player and provide specific coaching help, absolutely but that’s not entirely practical on a forum and I believe that the 1200 player wouldn’t have asked if they had someone local with the knowledge to answer the question.

One last comment; the issues of knowing the competency of the source of information is inherent when looking for information and help on the Internet.  These types of forums are excellent resources because the competency of the information and help is always peer reviewed and with few exceptions those peers are happy to jump all over something that they believe is incorrect, badly worded, poorly defined, etc.  What this means to me is that if a 1200 player asks a question there is an excellent chance that the answer to their question will be solidly contained within the sum of the posts for their question even if some of that information is misleading, incorrect or contextually inaccurate.

Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 5:24am
Seems danie is going to win the wttc
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 5:34am

Internet forums are about psychological endurance not competence. Smile

ninglei23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninglei23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 9:36am
no i have a very good topspin which is strong and very spinny..I am really not sure about my rating though cause I don't know how it works.
Yinhe V-14
FH:Xiom Vega Pro
BH:Donic Baracuda
danie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 10:25am
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

You must be really good.  Even at highest level, a down the line block against an inside out FH power loop usually a point for the blocker.  For example, watch Rye Sueng Min matches.  This happens to everybody but RSM runs around to hit with his FH all the time so you don't have wait long to see it.

I'm not a blocker, but I often play a blocking game when I'm tired or nervous, and I find it more effective against lower level 1-wing loopers.  I can push such players around and hope that they miss.  Against decent two wing loopers, it's more or less target practice for them.  The ball just coming back usually with more pace.  I have a better chance counter hit.  Maybe it's true that offense is the best defense.

I think you can see something similar when comparing Kenta vs Malin against Kenta vs Timo matches.

i don't have to hit to the backhand,just hitting the ball away from the opponent with enough speed and spin will be sufficient to win the point,and doesn't have to be down the line either...
danie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Fruit loop Fruit loop wrote:

well,i can't win the wttc,and i'm not participating either, but I can definitely beat you( a sarcastic person),if you want me to prove it,play with me,i'll make sure you don't win a single set
danie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 11:02am
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

yep, danie must be very good. you have to make sure that the ball won't come back if you commit to a fh drive from the bh corner. it could be the level of opponent too...but i highly doubt that. i really would love to see a clip of him playing so that i could get some good tips and tricks =)

my opponent which is blocking is in the upper level of district level,mine is at state level,so yeah,maybe its because of recovery,reaction and footwork which sets us apart. Though most of the state players can attack back assuming they are far enough from the table to counter loop.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 11:29am

well,i can't win the wttc,and i'm not participating either, but I can definitely beat you( a sarcastic person),if you want me to prove it,play with me,i'll make sure you don't win a single set

Feel free to come to australia if you want to play.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Infinite.Potential Infinite.Potential wrote:

I worry that providing a common platitude like this will be seen by the 1200 player as not even trying to help them.

I am about in that 1200 range and getting the ball back one more time was exactly what I was thinking after the Pacific Rim tournament.  I watch many matches and most rallies didn't last past four strokes.  I think many where trying to play well beyond their comfort level/ability and were giving away points. They weren't playing smart. There is a difference between knowing how to make the shot and having the mental concentration to actually make the shot during a game thus giving the other guy a chance to screw up.

A 1200 player in the US isn't a buffoon or a drooling idiot.  In fact a 1200 player would look like a very good player to someone off the street.  Making basic suggestions like hit the ball deeper into the court, hit to their middle, serve short then hit the 3rd ball long, move the ball around, etc. are not going to confound a 1200 player and it won’t wreck their game.  Would it be better to watch the 1200 player and provide specific coaching help, absolutely but that’s not entirely practical on a forum and I believe that the 1200 player wouldn’t have asked if they had someone local with the knowledge to answer the question.

I agree.  I can figure those things out on my own.  I agree with the statements about tips for 2000+ players being not applicable for 1200 players and probably anyone that isn't that mobile.  Telling an old guy that his footwork sucks doesn't help much.  He probably knows that too and is playing just to stay in shape the best he can.

If you are a coach and want to help a 1200 player out, help him get through the first four strokes.
For me I would want help on serves, serve returns, third and forth ball attacks and defense.   One can practice just getting the ball back, reacting to random balls, and foot work with a robot.

Another thing that p!$$e$ me off initially are coaches that want to show they can blast balls by me.  Well duh.  A year later they still can but I don't give them as many opportunities now and I blast some balls by them too.  The ratio now is better and not so discouraging.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 4:39pm

Feel free to come to australia if you want to play.

Danie, such claims can be very dfangerous to make, since I assume you have very little clue about Fruit loops levels?

If you do step around and committ to a powerfull fh attack from your bh corner, and it gets blocked back straight down the line, the chance that you will actually reach it is very slim. If you do reach it, then that actually says more about the lack of power on your attack then it says about your foot work or recovery.
The holy grail
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Infinite.Potential Infinite.Potential wrote:

I worry that providing a common platitude like this will be seen by the 1200 player as not even trying to help them. I think it’s important to be careful with platitudes because the 1200 player might start to think there isn't any reason to ask questions or try new things because they aren't good enough for someone to bother to give them the benefit of their true knowledge.

A 1200 player in the US isn't a buffoon or a drooling idiot. 

Your words not mine. I've yet to see a US 1200 player with the competence and technique to judge the depth of their attacking shots. The original question was from a player asking advice on how to beat a blocker.  The real answer is that he needs to improve his overall level of competency, Then the tactical placement you offer as advice (from a book) can be realistically applied, you can't run before you can walk.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 5:47pm
At that level, just practice loop drives, power loops, slow loops, footwork. A blocker will win most of the time. You can practice doing one of each during your 3rd ball attack., 
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 6:24pm
I found this video.  Great blocking.
Ma Lin had to hustle to stay in this game.
It is too bad they don't show who won.

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 6:53pm
Ma won 11-9 I think in the last end. Amazing rallies. Kenta Matsudaira does some wonderful blocking and loop driving off the bounce on both wings in that match. when he fade blocks a couple of heavy pace loops taking the power off and inparting a packet of side spin down the line ma doesn't get the ball back close to the table. That takes some serious control. good find, great video.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 12:56am

I would wager one standard lunch ration that would not happen in a match, Danie vs Fruit Loop.

But then again, if one party pulls a Tanya Harding, that could change things a bit. :)

Looks like the stuff for another thread.

Danie, I am not doubting that you have an exceptional attack or footwork, you do not talk like a USATT 800 newb. I just do not believe that you would be able to step around your BH corner, hit a FAST powerloop to your opponent's FH or middle, have it fast blocked to your wide FH corner or past it, and you can recover enough to get near the ball, lest even you can continue your attack in that situation. If you can do that, I need to eat whatever you eat for breakfast, learn its recepe, then license it and earn royalties for the rest of my old days.

To put in perspective, I don't think even the pros will get to that ball, assuming they hit it near max power, AND the opponent was close to the table, AND the opponent used an active fast block, AND that block goes to wide FH corner or more wide, especially if the block added some sidespin to make it tail off even moar. That sequence is point over, even for pros, even if they see it coming and try to get there.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 1:17am

I just do not believe that you would be able to step around your BH corner, hit a FAST powerloop to your opponent's FH or middle, have it fast blocked to your wide FH corner or past it, and you can recover enough to get near the ball, lest even you can continue your attack in that situation. If you can do that, I need to eat whatever you eat for breakfast, learn its recepe, then license it and earn royalties for the rest of my old days.

To put in perspective, I don't think even the pros will get to that ball, assuming they hit it near max power, AND the opponent was close to the table, AND the opponent used an active fast block, AND that block goes to wide FH corner or more wide, especially if the block added some sidespin to make it tail off even moar. That sequence is point over, even for pros, even if they see it coming and try to get there.
BH-man, I think you are right and the video I posted a link to shows it. The first rally has Kenta Matsudaira blocking to Ma Lin's FH after Ma Lin hit a FH shot from his BH corner.  Ma Lin couldn't get to it.  Ma Lin's FH shot wasn't even that fast, relatively.  What you can see is that Ma Lin had to lean back to his left to hit the ball and that made it difficult to move right to get to the ball.

I hadn't even heard of Kenta Mutsudaira before today.  I like his blocking.  I looked for other Kenta Matsudaira videos but they didn't show him blocking as much as in the Ma Lin video.

I have seen videos of Fruit Loop playing with Boz.  Danie better have a good game Fruit Loop is very agile and loops well.  I know I wouldn't want to get in a looping contest with Fruit Loop but then I would block instead.

Edited by pnachtwey - 05/08/2011 at 1:45am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 1:50am

I would wager one standard lunch ration that would not happen in a match, Danie vs Fruit Loop.

But then again, if one party pulls a Tanya Harding, that could change things a bit. :)

Looks like the stuff for another thread.

Danie, I am not doubting that you have an exceptional attack or footwork, you do not talk like a USATT 800 newb. I just do not believe that you would be able to step around your BH corner, hit a FAST powerloop to your opponent's FH or middle, have it fast blocked to your wide FH corner or past it, and you can recover enough to get near the ball, lest even you can continue your attack in that situation. If you can do that, I need to eat whatever you eat for breakfast, learn its recepe, then license it and earn royalties for the rest of my old days.

i don't care who you are, you're not getting to the ball if they block a fully committed shot as bh man describes. just look @ ma long vs samsonov in the world cup semi final where samsonov won.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 2:38am
yep, i agree with fruit loop. you can see how a well placed block will kill you all the time. i vote for danie to put up a video so that i can eat my words =)
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic