Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How to BH loop [against backspin] properly??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to BH loop [against backspin] properly??
    Posted: 08/01/2008 at 5:08am
guys, i feel terrible. ive been playing the pushing war too much on the bh side, scared to loop, because all the matches i played, in attempting to open up the bh loop, it seems to go in the net.

now arm speed shouldnt be the problem, but what is the PROPER, most CORRECT way so one may feel comfortable in executing it?>

i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Sponsored Links

Noobist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noobist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2008 at 5:21am
i would put my blade head down ( not totally) and almost 180 degree turn it back up using the wrist...
with a bit of lifting the ball up sometimes when long range...

but when the ball is short, i will put it at about 45 degree downward and do the same thing but this time, turn about 70 to 80 degree without lifting the ball.
Stiga Clipper FL
DHS Hurricane 3
Nittaku JO Waldner
LachlanTan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LachlanTan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2008 at 6:30am
BH loop off push is easier than the FH. I really don't know how to coach though.
TT over Study View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT over Study Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2008 at 6:58am

if ur scared to loop just get it on the table, then the second loop u can be fancy

TT over Study View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT over Study Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2008 at 7:00am
or just use footwork to loop FH
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2008 at 8:05am
Your hand isn't moving fast enough. You're underestimating how fast your hand can move. Try to tear the ball in half. The only time all my shots goes in is when I'm swinging all out.

PS: That is unless your completely shanking it.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2008 at 8:41am

Long distance drive ^

From close to the table you can do a brushed loop hitting from between/infront of your legs, just swing as fast as you can and it will come to you. Kreanga gives a little tip there is you take notice about moving his shoulder first. This the key to hand speed in all table tennis. For example on the forehand loop you first compress your abs/chest muscles(back also as if someone about to beat you with a stick and your ready to take it, that's how I feel when about to make a loop), then shoulder, then bicep then elbow the wrist all in one motion one after the other, when you can combine all the muscles into the shot in a smooth well timed fashion like that, that's how you get the speed. Takes alot of years for most people to realise that, if they ever do so take note !:)

p.s. the slow motion at 6:54 is the ideal close the the table backhand loop
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2008 at 9:08am
thanks guys, i think the explanation makes so much sense! appreciate the explanation nicefrog, ttfreak, noobist, tan and tt over study
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

kenshin8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenshin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2008 at 10:50am
It also depends on how u want to return the ball...

You have 2 options:

1) Open up ur BH a full 90 degrees. Then as you receive the ball SNAP your wrist up. Do not put too much of a forward motion or else the ball will go past the opponent's side of the table. This technique should bring the ball short...a bit past the net.

2) Close your BH to 45 degrees. Then loop the ball in a forward and up direction. This should bring the ball near the end of the opponent's side of the table.

Number 2 may force your opponent back a few meters...So when he returns the ball all you have to do is to lightly push or block the ball. Steer the ball to a direction opposite of where your opponent is standing.

Hurricane 3 Neo 2.15-Butterfly VSG21-4000-FL-Nittaku Hammond Pro Alpha 2.0
DeathAngel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2008 at 10:55am
also remember to always start your racket lower than the ball so you lift it and brush it up forward and over. My coach told me just to do my regular BH stroke but my racket head lower and move my arm faster it seems to work perfectly.
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

USA: 1522
CAN: 809
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2008 at 4:05pm
I made this vid a while back, the first few and the first slo-mo are against chop.

It might be of some help?

(Any excuse to get some extra views of my vids)
GorgeousGordy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GorgeousGordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2008 at 5:18pm
Why would you want to return the ball close to the net .........unless maybe you're playing someone vertically challenged but otherwise they will just counterloop/block/smash the ball past you with ease...

Please don't spew BS in the forum
chiseling since the 1980s
GorgeousGordy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GorgeousGordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2008 at 5:20pm
Also if you've been playing table tennis this long I would hope you would know how to do one of the most basic shots or else there is something seriously wrong!!!!
chiseling since the 1980s
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2008 at 5:31pm

There are many different styles in TT, so some players could play quite happily for years without needing to use that shot. Surely it is commendable that someone is trying to learn a new shot and we should try to be helpful rather than critical because of that. 

kenshin8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenshin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2008 at 6:45pm
Thanks Juan King Carlo...Everyone is just trying to help one another... So theres no need to criticize people GorgeousGordy...

TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2008 at 6:56pm
Its not the technique so dont bother watching those vids. You scared because you dont thrust yourself. So do more practice, swing forward with more wrist movement. During the match, when its early in the set, try to be more aggresive. There is nothing to loose. just a point not a big deal right? Just relax...
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

kenshin8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenshin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2008 at 7:29pm
lolz Tsubasa should be a Zen master...hes right though...Take it easy...don't hesitate...line up your shot...wait for the ball to drop to a comfortable height but dont wait too long or you will miss XD

chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 1:35am
At first you may want to try a simple swing with very little wrist movement (with wrist action you can create great spin and power but timing must be right on).  Pay attention to the starting and ending point, the middle part should take care of itself.  Slightly turn your shoulder, drop the racket lower than the ball, then swing up and forward.  If the ball goes into the net, you can swing faster, or end higher or both.

MayaV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayaV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 2:25am
here is another kreanega video explaining technique BH Topspin technique:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ywG5kmOCfWE&feature=related

Backhand Topsping against push : Ma Lin : http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=xFJUWfHGsQQ&feature=related

Backhand Topsping : Timo Boll : http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=0xzF6J-JvOg&feature=related

Backhand Topsping against push : K Kreanega : http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=iJB3sM5xpGo&feature=related
Butterfly TBS
FH : Haifu Blue Whale II
BH : Haifu Blue Whale II
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 5:59am
Just swing fast low to high. You'll get the hang of it in a few months.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by MayaV MayaV wrote:

here is another kreanega video explaining technique BH Topspin technique:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ywG5kmOCfWE&feature=related

Backhand Topsping : Timo Boll : http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=0xzF6J-JvOg&feature=related

I would try Timo's stroke first, little wrist movement, simple low-to-high swing, plus some leg push.  It's not easy to perform a complicated stroke like Kreanega's especially hitting close to the table against a push, when you may not have enough time to line up your stroke.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 11:39pm
i will post a video later tonite showing my bh loop against push/heavy backspin if need be.
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2008 at 12:06am
Arm speed is very key but also timing.  Let the ball come off the table to you so some of the spin dies, it will make it easier to loop the ball.  Also, have a relaxed wrist, if you are tense, it's not going to work.  Bend your knees, drop your wrist and arm down, and accelerate through the shot.  Let your elbow lead you in the shot and also be your guide into the shot.  Make sure you really put your legs into it, it will make it much easier to lift the ball.
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 4:21am
Originally posted by kenshin8 kenshin8 wrote:

It also depends on how u want to return the ball...

You have 2 options:

1) Open up ur BH a full 90 degrees. Then as you receive the ball SNAP your wrist up. Do not put too much of a forward motion or else the ball will go past the opponent's side of the table. This technique should bring the ball short...a bit past the net.

2) Close your BH to 45 degrees. Then loop the ball in a forward and up direction. This should bring the ball near the end of the opponent's side of the table.

Number 2 may force your opponent back a few meters...So when he returns the ball all you have to do is to lightly push or block the ball. Steer the ball to a direction opposite of where your opponent is standing.

Mr. Samurai X is right. I saw Waldner doing the option no 1 a lot of times.
TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
Hasham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 4:39am
I have the same problem with the FH loop but i can loop fine with my backhand
Counterlooper View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Counterlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 8:52pm
My forehand is better but lately my backhand is improving. Try not swinging your arm too fast. That wont be the problem. Try looping with the right action then speed your motion up. Hope it helps.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by theman theman wrote:

i will post a video later tonite showing my bh loop against push/heavy backspin if need be.

You should post video either way, we'd love to see your progress!!! (or lack their of)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic