Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to do a corkscrew serve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to do a corkscrew serve
    Posted: 10/28/2006 at 10:14pm
I've heard a few mentions of "corkscrews", when you spin it along the vertical axis, so not topspin, bottomspin or sidespin. And this is supposed to be very difficult to return properly.

Just to clarify my understanding of the "corkscrew", like, if the ball is moving forward, and you're looking at the ball at the same eye level, behind it, then it's rotating in the direction of clock hands; clockwise or counter-clockwise. Here's a diagram of what I mean:

How do you serve a corkscrew? From first hunch, it doesn't seem possible to hit a ball forward without having it have at least an element of topspin, bottomspin or sidespin.

-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
Sponsored Links

*JC* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *JC* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2006 at 1:20am
http://jc.wotan-tt.net/videos/corkscrew.wmv

cant be done as "pure" corkscrew due to

1: needing some forwards ( which would give it sidespin )
2: friction of table
3: other things.

but really, its not that hard to create
just might take some practise to get low, short and consistant.

Nice drawing/rander by the way :)

also: its not too hard to return
just note that depending what side of the ball you touch - it will act like top or under spin.
Thats not a knife
THIS is a knife.
Thats not a knife
THATS a spoon.
Robert Trudell View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Trudell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2006 at 1:46am

Originally posted by *JC* *JC* wrote:

http://jc.wotan-tt.net/videos/corkscrew.wmv

cant be done as "pure" corkscrew due to

I don't see why it couldn't be done for some point in time during the ball's travel.

American Football players can throw a perfect spiral pass; I think a Table Tennis player can serve a pure corkscrew using the proper countering forces.

--Rob

http://outpost81.com/ttoutpost/

*JC* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *JC* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2006 at 3:04am
i really dont want to make this sound like an argument - as arguing over this would be really petty.

so - ill "put forward this idea"

a ball in space is just floting, doing nothing.

for a pure corkscrew, something ( a bat ) must provive friction going from 1 side to another, and only act apon 1 axis

see pic

Thats not a knife
THIS is a knife.
Thats not a knife
THATS a spoon.
goldberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2006 at 4:55am
who pros do the corkscrew
*JC* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *JC* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2006 at 5:18am
i do how speaked a correct english?

probally everyone.

Thats not a knife
THIS is a knife.
Thats not a knife
THATS a spoon.
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2006 at 5:34am
Ma Lin, Shlager, Chen Qi, Samsonov, Oh Sang Eun, Ryu Seung Min etc; most pros can do it but don't use it in matches.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2006 at 9:34am
Originally posted by *JC* *JC* wrote:

The ball looks alright, but it's too yellow. It looks more like an egg yolk.
-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2006 at 9:39am
I think football players can throw perfect spirals for two reasons:

(1) Since they make continual contact with the ball, they can first set the ball moving forward, then apply spin to it, whereas your racket has very short contact with the ball (though theoretically, with longer dwell time it may be possible to do the same thing)

(2) Even if a football player throws it slightly off of a perfect spiral, aerodynamics might correct it and smoothen the spin so it becomes more perfect? Just a guess.

-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2006 at 3:32am
Originally posted by pimpmyracket pimpmyracket wrote:

I've heard a few mentions of "corkscrews", when you spin it along the vertical axis, so not topspin, bottomspin or sidespin. And this is supposed to be very difficult to return properly.

isnt that a horizontal axis. BTW I like to think of it as rifle spin because its the spin a rifle barrell gives to a bullet.
To be honest I was never sure which was which when I read the posts about 'sidespin' and corkscrew
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
-ljl- View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -ljl- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2006 at 9:10am
isit possible?
Blade:Yasaka Gatien Extra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2006 at 9:24am
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

Originally posted by pimpmyracket pimpmyracket wrote:

isnt that a horizontal axis. BTW I like to think of it as rifle spin because its the spin a rifle barrell gives to a bullet.
To be honest I was never sure which was which when I read the posts about 'sidespin' and corkscrew

Actually, "vertical axis" was a bad choice of words. It's neither vertical nor horizontal. Maybe we can call it the "gun barrel" axis, spinning around the gun barrel, at least that gives a visual idea.
-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2006 at 8:11am
YATTP "Contrary to what has been said before you can actually get *VERY* large amounts of backspin from high toss serves."

I have just got to come back with this.
I have identified that one of my serves is cork screw, that is it kicks to the backhand and exits the table parallel to the net about 6 to eight inches from the bh net post. I also have a swerve sidespin to the same area but thats curving through the air rather than kicking off the table.
Interestingly the corksscrew one when my opps try to just touch it short down the line it just dies in the net. This is because the axis of the corkscrew is parallel to the surface of their racket face so the spin of the ball is backspin. But the service action to produce it is pendulum style with the edge of the racket coming up under my chin to meet the falling high toss. So this is acase of the the high toss enhancing a chopped serve as Yattp suggests
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic