Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to move from 1500 USATT rating to 1800?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to move from 1500 USATT rating to 1800?
    Posted: 09/05/2008 at 4:45pm
hi all,

Would anyone tell me how to move from 1500 level to 1800 level?  Probably will need a coach and a lot of practice but what is the difference between 1500 and 1800, and is it possible to get there without a coach but with practice partners?

Thanks!

FireHorse
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2008 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

hi all,

Would anyone tell me how to move from 1500 level to 1800 level?  Probably will need a coach and a lot of practice but what is the difference between 1500 and 1800, and is it possible to get there without a coach but with practice partners?

Thanks!

FireHorse

The main difference there, imho, is consistency. And that comes only with a lot of practice... concentrate on proper footwork, attack technique, multi-ball practice etc.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2008 at 5:21pm
Don't play with fast blade. Maybe all+ or off- at most. You will get more controlled shots. Try not to put them with full power, instead with half power but precise what ever you try to place it. You will increase confidence with this as you progress and you will jump to better rating after that. After maybe you can try to incerease you power and so on ... I hope this help !
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2008 at 5:26pm
i am in similar situation dwindling between 1500-1600 and would do anything to reach at least 1800.

so i can't tell you what to do.

i can tell you what not to do.... EJing ... changing set-ups too soon hoping to gain mileage. personal experience :)
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2008 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

hi all,

Thanks!

FireHorse

The main difference there, imho, is consistency. And that comes only with a lot of practice... concentrate on proper footwork, attack technique, multi-ball practice etc.

A better technique is one of the key. My student had below average FH and BH technique. We tried to fix his FH and BH technique for 2 months.... his rating went from 1300 to 1699. Paying for lesson with good coach for 1-2 hrs($60-80) has more value to your game more than paying $100 for equipment.
And like JimT said - PRACTICE.
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2008 at 7:11pm
Very good advice so far, reducing unforced errors (consistency) is most important at this level.

Learn when to attack and when to be prepared to defend; the transition from attack to defense and vice versa is a key area where unforced errors occur for many players, particuarly aggresive players.
When attacking don't put any more speed on the ball than you will be able to handle when it comes back, and always expect to ball to come back!
Also make it a point to focus attention to the transition from fh to bh and v/v, this area of your game should be solid as any opponent who sees a weakness here will exploit it to the best of their capablity.

Footwork; keep your weight centered over your feet (don't lean over allowing your weigt to go off center) as this makes it difficult to continue moving.  Then learn the proper way to move for different situations.  Always be light on your feet, ready to move to the ball.
Attempt to improve your anticipation for your opponents shot selection as this will help improve your footwork; knowing where to move to makes footwork much easier!

As you endeavor to make improvments expect to make mistakes, it is part of the learning process.  Maintain optimism and a good nature, don't be too hard on yourself, and you will improve your standard.

Good luck!
YEO

Boost TP
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2008 at 7:16pm
Also try to structure your practice.  Write down your objectives for each session, make a check list, take note ....  It helps to keep your focus.
One time, I set a goal for myself to use my BH on every odd score if possible. I made a check list and found out that I would run around and use my FH most of the time!
It's easier if you have a good coach he/she will remind you of what you need to do.
hafawaz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hafawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2008 at 7:17pm
i agree.  training with a coach will be extremely helpful.  working with the right equipment is also essential and that does not mean going out an buying Tenergy with a Photino Blade - stick with what is right for your game at the point you're in. 

Most importantly, in my opinion, is to play lots of matches with differing styles and techniques.  Improve your mental an match game.  Participate in all club tournaments and challenge lots of players to games.  You'd be surprised how much this will improve your ranking. 

I've seen lousy players beat some of the best because they had their game together and kept it under control during a match. 
Senkoh - 85 with Sriver EL 2.1
Keyshot Light with Sriver FX 2.1
bowebj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowebj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 1:39am
ummm jus like how u move up in anything else.... get better. practice. case closed
ajchien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajchien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 3:50am

I am a consistent looper. What I did to move from 1500 to 1800...

1) improved opening attack - both FH and BH loop openers off of underspin.
2) improved consistency - putting more balls on the table
3) learned how to play against unusual styles: long pips, anti, quick counterdrivers.
4) improved footwork

To get there with practive partners...
1) simply have them serve you their best underspin to BH, and loop it on the table. do same for FH.
2) practice consistent loop to blocks
3) dont shy away from long pipers or anti players or short pips players, play them as much as possible.  Even better, buy a sheet of these rubbers and try to play with them occaisionally
4) do drills 1 and 2 combined with moving the ball around the table.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 4:58am
short game, reading serves
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 6:34am
Buy the best blade and rubber you can afford.
dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 9:08am
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

Buy the best blade and rubber you can afford.

LOL
Darker Tanpan, fh 729 higher 2.0mm, bh 729 geospin 2.0mm

My for sale thread
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 11:01am
There isn't much difference. The 1800 player can get a few more balls back and can actually execute plays. A 1500 player on a good day will play 1800.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 11:42am
Don't EJ, develop some tactics, not just getting the ball back, work on consistency
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 11:47am
Originally posted by theman theman wrote:

short game, reading serves

Theman is right; again! Wink

Originally posted by TT_Freak TT_Freak wrote:

There isn't much difference. The 1800 player can get a few more balls back and can actually execute plays. A 1500 player on a good day will play 1800.

I totally agree with this too.

A 1500 knows how to loops from fh, push from both sides and does all of it like a 1800 player. Maybe is slowly learning the BH loop.

What a 1800 player does much better is to serve, to return serves and plays the short game so the opponent does not have room to initiate attack first.

About returning serves: READ THE SERVE, TAKE A DECISION AND STICK WITH IT. Return the serve frankly by committing to your decision.
If you read it underspin decide to loop (better) or push and just do it. 
If you read it topspin, cover it up and follow through gently but firmly.
If you read "kind of dead" be very careful: those are deadly for a 1500 (who will always try to kill them and lose lots of points).
Being shy returning serves is giving the other so much confidence while breaking yours. The wrong thing to do is to hesitate or even worst to change your mind in the process.

About serves: CHOSE A LOCATION AND ALWAYS SERVE FROM THERE (for now).
I like to serve from my bh corner and always serve from there, using the regular fh pendulum serve and the fh inside out serve (that I am still developing-->see t.boll and m.maze who do it so well).
so many things can be done just from that location (left leg touching corner for right handed players, the other leg back):
-underspin, topspin or dead (3)
-long or short (2)
-along the line or across the court or somewhere in the middle (elbow?) (3)
That's virtually 18 different serves...
If you add to those factors the variation of spin and the fact that the topspin and underspin can be done on both sides (normal pendulum brushing the side of the ball near you) or inside out (brushing the ball on the side opposite of you, to increase chances of setting yourself up for a FH 3rd ball attack), you see that you can get a lot of serves from one location.
One last thing: know what you want to do with your 3rd ball. If you give a long underspin serve hoping to receive a long return (if opponent does not loop) then get ready to loop. If you give a fast dead serve get ready to enter a fast allround rally (you gotta love those if you are a tt player). If you give a short underspin serve chances are you will be in a very tactical rally where both sides will try not to return too long....you get the idea.
Note: when you practice serves, make a jump to face the table after serving to put your body ready to attack the 3rd ball. If you do not do that while practicing then something will be missing in your speed of action.

About the short game: it's everybody's problem...HOW TO DROP THE BALL  BEHIND THE NET AND MAKE THE OTHER PLAYER BE THE FIRST TO PUSH LONG ENOUGH SO YOU CAN LOOP. That's why anybody under 2000 should not play with a fast paddle. It's too hard to learn that fundamental part of the game that short game is with a fast setup. Short game is probably the most boring thing to practice: you do not get much of a work out and it consumes time but you get rewarded by several hundreds rating points when you get better at it Big%20smile.
NOTE 1 thing: you can get a workout practicing the short game if you bounce fast on your feet the way you'd do in a match. You want to go one  step back after the stroke and another step in to get to the ball, trying to drop it behind the net--> that increases difficulty and recreates a bit real match situation. Also you get a bit of aerobic/cardio training and your touch is getting so much better.

I hope this helps.

ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 1:29pm
Be a total student of the game. Read up on strategy. Plan your serving strategy instead of doing what you feel like.

After each point, think. Think of why you lost the point or won the point. It's critical during tournament matches that you identify what your opponent's strength is and how you can counter it. When you realize they're not returning certain serves very well, exploit it. In short 11-point games you have to figure out strategies quickly, you don't have forever to experiment.

The thing is, in the 1500 rating level, there are still so many aspects of the game to improve on that there's no easy answer for how to climb to 1800.

But yes, definitely look into doing proper drills, that goes a long way.
Be very deliberate about your training. Don't just go to the club, play some games then go home. Do proper drills.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 4:12pm
Debraj,

We have the same problem.  I keep on changing blades and rubbers too often to get used to one setup.  One problem is that I'm so into the handle of the blade.  I can't find the one that look good.  And also, I keep changing the setup and never stay with one for more than 3 months.  I play mostly 2 times a week, one is for matches and the other is for practice.
I'll stick with one setup for now eventhough I still haven't found the best equipment yet.

Later,
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 4:37pm

Thanks to all of your advices,

I see that there are several problem with me that keep me in the 1500, 1600 level for so long (in the order of importance):

1. Serve Return/Short game:  I have problem with serve return and the short game, and I'm working on it to make it better.
  2. Serves:  my serves are so simple so I'm working on it right now.
  3. Multiple loops:  I can't do multiple loop consistently, especially the second loop after the opening loop.  The loops after the second loop are not that hard compared to the second loop because I'm closer to the table in the opening loop and then I'm a little bit either out of balance, or not ready for the second loop.
  4. Defense:  Since I mostly attack, my block, push or counter-drive strokes are horrible, I can't win the upper rating because I can't do these strokes and lose to someone at my level because their defensive strokes are better.

That being said, I have some questions:

1. Serve return:  this one is not an easy one to ask but I will try my best to ask an intelligent question:  When should you start to move into the serve to make a return?  Is it when the ball (from the server) starts to travel above the net?  I mostly start to make the move when the ball touches the server's paddle.
  2. Opening loop & second loop:  I believe that the opening loop has to be well execute with care (opening loop could be a kill loop if the ball is high or within the range of a kill loop).  The opening loop should be spinny and well placed and not using too much power to get out of position so I can get ready for the ball to return.  It sounds easy but it's not because I find that to make a fast swing is easier to get the ball on the table than a slower swing with a lot of spin.  How can we loop the opening shot with enough spin, speed and to the place we want to go and then be able to get to the ready position for the second one?

I'd think that I will just need to practice more on those things that I mentioned but I just want to hear your answers on my 2 questions.

Oh, about my setup.  I'm currently using Butterfly Timo Boll Spirit with 2.0 mm Yasaka Pryde on both backhand and forehand.  Is it too fast for my level? 

I also would like to reach 2000 level but I think my first goal should be 1800.  Besides, I'm about 40 so 1800 could be my best target.

Thanks so much for all of your help.

FireHorse
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Note: when you practice serves, make a jump to face the table after serving to put your body ready to attack the 3rd ball. If you do not do that while practicing then something will be missing in your speed of action.

fatt,

Thanks for all of the advice that you gave (and thanks to everyone too).  One thing that I notice is that nobody mentions about the note that I quote above.  I always do the forehand pendulum serve from the backhand corner and for a while, in the game and also in practice, I tend to stand in that corner and not get ready for the ball to come back.  After endless time watching the pros play, I noticed that most of them (after the forehand serve from the bh corner), they jump to the right to get in the ready position so I recently try that and it helps a lot.

Well, then I come up to another question:  how far away from the table should I be after the serve?  I sometimes find myself jamming if the opponent returns it long to my body.  I guess it should depend on the type of serve I execute, right?  With a long, fast, top spin serve, I will have to be further from the table than the short, backspin serve, is it right?  But how far is for most of the case?

Again, thanks so much.

FireHorse
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 5:20pm
  1. Serve return:  ... I mostly start to make the move when the ball touches the server's paddle.

I think this is about right, if you know where the ball is going it is time to move into position. Whenever it is that you know where the ball is going, that is the correct time to move.

2. Opening loop & second loop:  I believe that the opening loop has to be well execute with care (opening loop could be a kill loop if the ball is high or within the range of a kill loop).  The opening loop should be spinny and well placed and not using too much power to get out of position so I can get ready for the ball to return.  It sounds easy but it's not because I find that to make a fast swing is easy to get the ball on the table than a slower swing with a lot of spin.

This sounds like your technique is not solid, maybe rather your "touch" is not well developed.  You should be able to open consistently with varying speeds and spins.  This will allow you to feep your opponent guessing as to what kind of ball he will be recieving and force him to judge the ball each time.  If you are giving him the same shot every time you open he can committ to a racket angle and reaction timing without waiting to judge the ball; you do not want to make it that easy for him.
for example you can alter your racket angle to a more open setting for opening on under spin balls, this will make it easier for you to use slower racket speeds and still be able to get the loop safely on the table and well placed.  It will also help you to vary the speed and spin you put on the ball.  The judgement used to gauge the spin on the ball you receive and apply a correctly coresponding racket angle is what is called "touch"

...How can we loop the opening shot with enough spin, speed and to the place we want to go and then be able to get to the ready position for the second one?

Vary the speed and spin, and focus more on placement and being prepared for the next shot rather than making the frist shot conform to some ideal standard.  This will allow you to play more loose and free and slow your opponent down to judge each shot.  Watch for the patterns in play.
YEO

Boost TP
Master_of_loops View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master_of_loops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 5:41pm
One word which you should remember : practice
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by sprite sprite wrote:

This sounds like your technique is not solid, maybe rather your "touch" is not well developed.  You should be able to open consistently with varying speeds and spins.  This will allow you to feep your opponent guessing as to what kind of ball he will be recieving and force him to judge the ball each time.  If you are giving him the same shot every time you open he can committ to a racket angle and reaction timing without waiting to judge the ball; you do not want to make it that easy for him.
for example you can alter your racket angle to a more open setting for opening on under spin balls, this will make it easier for you to use slower racket speeds and still be able to get the loop safely on the table and well placed.  It will also help you to vary the speed and spin you put on the ball.  The judgement used to gauge the spin on the ball you receive and apply a correctly coresponding racket angle is what is called "touch"

Vary the speed and spin, and focus more on placement and being prepared for the next shot rather than making the frist shot conform to some ideal standard.  This will allow you to play more loose and free and slow your opponent down to judge each shot.  Watch for the patterns in play.

Yes, I agree that my opening loop technique is not proper.  I was introduced into the game (along with several of my friends) about 8 years ago by a friend of mine (he's about 2000 USATT rating).  He's big in looping so the first one he taught us is how to loop uderspin.  In practice, he always tells us to loop as hard as we can, so my game developed around that perspective.  I just mentioned this to make you know how my loop was developed, I do not have any regret being introduced to the game by my friend at all, I still do have lots of respects and admirations to him.

Being said, I mostly fast loop the opening loop with an upward motion since it's the first loop again backspin.  But then as my level moving up, the return is not only backspin but it could be no spin or some topspin and it's where I'm having problem.  Besides, now the opening loop is not on the 3rd ball anymore but it could be on the 5th or even on the first if the serve from the opponent is long.

My short game is horrible too.  So, back to the Basic Thumbs%20Up

I'll work on my opening loop for now (both fh and bh).

FireHorse
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 8:33pm

Yes, I agree that my opening loop technique is not proper.� I was introduced into the game (along with several of my friends) about 8 years ago by a friend of mine (he's about 2000 USATT rating).� He's big in looping so the first one he taught�us is how to loop uderspin.� In practice, he always tells us to loop as hard as we can, so my game developed around that perspective.� I just mentioned this to make you know how my loop�was developed, I do not have any regret being introduced to the game by my friend at all, I still do have lots of respects and admirations to him.

Being said, I mostly fast loop the opening loop with an upward motion since it's the first loop again backspin.� But then as my level moving up, the return is not only backspin but it could be no spin or some topspin and it's where I'm having problem.� Besides, now the opening loop is not on the 3rd ball anymore but it could be on the 5th or even on the first if the serve from the opponent is long.

My short game is horrible too.� So, back to the Basic Thumbs%20Up

I'll work on my opening loop for now (both fh and bh).

FireHorse

It is great that a friend introduced you to the game and helped you learn how to play. That he did not teach everything is no fault of his as few of us would be able to teach thoroughly, as you have seen here many people have offered various insights on different aspects of the game.
I was also taught a rather aggressive opening loop and to use a slightly closed racket angle even against heavy chop. Later I was taught be a national level player about using open angles against under spin and this helped me to play a more relaxed and confident style. Reducing mental and physical tension really helps with being prepared for the next shot in my experience.

Working on improving your opening is a good place to begin to elevate your level. I would like to suggest that if you think it could be helpful you might study Waldner looping against choppers or some pip player like Prean on youtube. There you can view the different racket angles and types of shots Waldner uses against under spin and no spin shots. It was very instructive for me.

Improving your short game control is also a key factor, pushes and blocks in particular. I mention this in relation to your question about whether your equipment is too fast for you. If you continue to have trouble with blocking when you begin working to improve this aspect of your game it may be evidence that the blade is too fast for your abilities. I also judge how well the speed of a blade is suited to me by if I feel the need to hold back on balls I should be able to rip. If the blade makes me feel like I need to hold back on such shots, it is too fast for me. This feeling causes me to have muscle tension, which is not good for tt.
YEO

Boost TP
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2008 at 12:01am
Originally posted by ajchien ajchien wrote:

Sorry about disagreeing with some folks here, but I don't think the short game makes the difference between 1500 and 1800. I havent found many 1800 players to have a good enough short game to prevent an opening loop. I see the short game being developed and being more of a difference when you're trying to progress�in the�over-2000 range.

I think the context here was having a short game that is reasonably free of simply failing to return pushes or producing pushes so weak that the opponent can hit clean winners so often that you loose the match based mainly on these kinds of weaknesses. Or your blocking game be so weak that if your opponent can loop 2 balls in a row you are certain to loose the point every time he does so.
YEO

Boost TP
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2008 at 12:17am

Would anyone tell me how to move from 1500 level to 1800 level?

just beat a lot of higher ranked players.
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2008 at 12:27am
better yet, beat one 1800 player and dont play anyone else under 1800
T h e N A M View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T  h  e  N  A M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2008 at 1:33am
Originally posted by fatcomet fatcomet wrote:

'

you'll be 1550 if you beat one player who is higher than 1800...

dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2008 at 2:30am
Originally posted by T  h  e  N  A M T h e N A M wrote:

'

depends how much higher... I believe you can get more than 150 points if the player is above 2000 and you are 1500. So beating a 2500 or so player most probably would bring you above 1800...

EDIT: Actually fatcomet is right, I saw the record of one player at level 1000 +-200 beating another at level 1378 +-77 and gaining 317 points. Actually in most games that players at similar level competed, with their scores around 1300-1600, the winner would advance around 100 points...
Darker Tanpan, fh 729 higher 2.0mm, bh 729 geospin 2.0mm

My for sale thread
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2008 at 2:42am
Originally posted by dimitris dimitris wrote:

Originally posted by T h e N A M T h e N A M wrote:

'

depends how much higher... I believe you can get more than 150 points if the player is above 2000 and you are 1500. So beating a 2500 or so player most probably would bring you above 1800...

you can't get more than 75 points from a rating change to another. When that happens you get "adjusted".

The max points you can make in one match is 50 points. look at more details on http://www.usatt.org/ratings/ratingsprocess.html

say in a tourney you do:

matches won + 50 +30 +25 + 10 + 10 +10 = 135
matches lost  -8 -8 -10 -25  = -51

total = 84 (>75) so you get adjusted (see formula).

But now if you get

matches won +30 +25 + 10 + 10 +10 = 85
matches lost  -10 -3 = -13

total = 72 (<75) you do not get adjusted and process every result against your actual rating.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic