Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to serve practise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yugen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yugen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to serve practise
    Posted: 03/20/2019 at 9:18pm
Hi community. What should I prioritise when serve practising alone at the table? What is the order of importance? For example: 
1. Be able to get maximum spin potential 
2. Placement 
3. Length 
4. Deception  

I just need some ideas on effective serve practise progression as I won't have acces to a training partner for quite a while.
Sponsored Links

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2019 at 10:25pm
There's also height. Going low over the net is probably more important than a lot of the others.

I don't have a proper service practice regime, but I usually pick one of those things and work on it. I think it's important to do the same serve over and over again, and not switch too frequently between different serves.

I'm sure others will have better advice!
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2019 at 11:11pm
I'm trying to get into ready position by the time the opponent hits the ball.
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand, 2020-1: Stiga Allround WRB (67g)/Fastarc G-1 1.8mm/V11 > Extra max 158g
Fitness Friendship Fun
maurice101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2019 at 11:23pm
If you want to work on spin start with floor serves and also bed serves. You can see the degree of spin. Then move to the table.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2019 at 2:04am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

There's also height. Going low over the net is probably more important than a lot of the others.

I think Mick is right on this.  In the days of celluloid (40 or 38) balls, you could make an argument for focusing on spin.  And, of course, in the days of hidden serves, deception was very important.  But in the modern world of plastic balls, spin and deception aren't what they used to be.  So I would focus first on bounce height.  
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2019 at 8:33am
First focus on maximum spin then work on height, lenght and deception. It's still quite possible to fool higher level players on serve and get an extra point or two in a game so deception is a very important aspect imo.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2019 at 10:38am
2 months ago I started a weekly one hour serve training alone with about 125 40+ balls which I use per serve variation. My notes to start:

Toss
Stroke movement
Ball contact/friction/force
height of contact
placement on serve side of table
placement on opponent side of table
variations of serve, backspin, side, topspin,
short double bounce, short and long

My initial recommendation is to work on form, toss, stroke movement, contact etc and practice those elements until during matches those elements are 2nd nature.
Lots of videos available below is a link to one of my favorites:

https://dynamictabletennis.com/table-tennis-serves-serving-deep/

Edited by lineup32 - 03/21/2019 at 2:13pm
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2019 at 1:27pm
Search on youtube for Michael Maze training video.  He talks in length regarding how to practice serves.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2019 at 4:33pm
I usually start off by doing one box with my usual serves. Just to get the feeling for the serves. After that I'm doing serves that I already have and try to work on the amount of spin and placement. But I don't do that for all serves. I usually pick one kind of spin or set of serves. So for example side underspin serves and no spin as a variation. And after that I think of different serves that I'm not doing right now, but that I might want to add to my serves. 

The most important things imo are to:
1. Try a serve and increase spin and vary placements
2. Add a different spin serve with a similar motion to the first serve later on
3. Take your time and really think about the serve you just did ( was it good? Should I brush the ball thinner, use more wrist, underarm and so on?)
4. Try your new serves in games and watch where they are being returned to. ( does the serve come to one position a lot? Can I follow up strongly after the serve, or am I having problems afterwards)

Note: The serve doesn't have to be short or with insane amount of spin. If you can get an easy return or know where the ball will be returned, then you'll be in a good position. 

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2019 at 9:49pm
I'm going to add a little more to this thread. This is how I've been practicing learning new serves recently.

1. Decide what serve I want to learn (pendulum, reverse pendulum, hook, etc).
2. Figure out the contact point and the final arm/wrist movement to get there (just the last movement, so no pre-motions or after motions or even body usage). I usually start with under or side under.
3. Practice spinning the ball using that motion to create a decent amount of spin (I don't think about height, placement, body usage here). I contact the ball a little further from my body so I can clearly see what I'm doing. For me this helps to get the initial feeling since if you do it close to the body it adds an extra layer of difficulty.

Once I have a good feel for the contact and touch there:

4. Try to get the same brushing/contact while contacting the ball closer to the body. Add body rotation.
5. Try to get the ball low over the net while maintaining body usage and spin.

Once I get consistent there, the serve is good to go but:

6. Add a side and side top version of the serve with the same starting motions while maintaining body usage and contacting the ball close to the body.
7. Add a no spin version and a long version.

Depending on the serve, I might do 7 before 6, or even skip one of them entirely.

For old serves, I pick one thing I want to work on, say increasing spin, getting the ball lower, better placement, more body usage, deception, etc and just try to improve that by doing it over and over again with a bucket of balls.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic