Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Want to Beat the Best Player in the Big One!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Want to Beat the Best Player in the Big One!
    Posted: 09/22/2014 at 12:51am
Below is the translation of one helluva long article about XX's recent transformation at the WTTTC Tokyo, which again was published first in the magazine Table Tennis World. Sort of a continuation from the other article.

XX: (I) want to beat the best player in big events. It's either singles or nothing for Rio.

"You feel you've got a shot for Tokyo 2020?"

"I think I can make it."

"Then you've got another think coming. How're you going to compete with the ever-maturing FZD, given how old you will be?

The dialogue with Wu Jingping was a wake-up call to XX. Originally, XX's objective was to secure a spot in the teams event for Rio 2016 and then compete for singles. Now, his sights are set on singles only.

"Normal routine in the morning and afternoon for tomorrow, XX." WJP, who was still on vacation the day before, had rushed to the CTTSL venue and given XX an atypical CTTSL season. The intensity of training each day was comparable in level to that of closed training. During the closed training before the WTTTC Japan, XX followed a daily routine of four sessions, often to the point of burning out. During the league season, he could still run himself into the ground, "but XX coped with it." WJP was very content with XX's tenacity.

"I tell him. I still work my butt off for you even at my age. Aren't you gonna do the same for me? Let us put our lives on the line." - WJP

No Turning Back

Article/Chen Sijing

The Metamorphosis before the WTTTC

Early in the year before the trial, LGL inquired of XX out of the blue after a session that if he were to switch coach, who would he pick? "I've been with coach Qin all these years. Of course I want to stay with him." What if you got to pick? "Coach Wu, then. He's very experienced in penhold coaching."

XX and WJP made their first "intimate encounter" at the start of the closed training at the end of March. Since the new master and mentee knew time was tight and mission was critical, the two never spent time on "breaking in". "I was pretty sociable when I first joined the first-string team. I could strike up a chat with anyone. Then as I matured, I slowly turned shy and along with it my communication was affected. However, I feel now is a crucial moment. I got to give my all after switching coach. I can't afford to take too long to get up to speed, so I went and talked to coach Wu myself. We're on the same page as far as that's concerned." XX joked.

Having switched out coach, XX gets to immediately draw on nutrition he never did before. The bright boy has also quickly distilled the differences of the two head coaches. "Coach Qin has taught me finesse and earnestness, whereas coach Wu has shown me bleeding edge and aggression." In the post-WTTTC meeting, everyone felt XX was much more proactive than before, with WJP having contributed a big part of encouragement. "During closed training, I had to attend the morning session, and arrived an hour to train before the start time. Coach Wu also got up early to join me. He always said that he couldn't sleep long due to age, when in fact he wanted to give me more training given the time constraint as well as to build up my resolve."

XX claims he does not fear training. He could endure it even if it is extreme multiball. WJP was very tough on XX throughout the closed training, which saw XX feeling done in for the very first time. "The closed training prior to the WTTTC already had a higher-than-usual tune-up time, yet I felt even more tired than normal. Due to changes in my game, my shot quality has increased, but I haven't struck the right balance on energy management. Though exhausted, the effect is very good. This is a first for me when it comes to losing the least of any closed training." Faced with an unexpected shift in playing style, members of the national team all find it unnerving of XX's "new image".

Upon arriving in Tokyo, XX kept on his mind of WJP's instructions on keeping a tight rein before departure. XX's rhythm has always been on the slow side, of which LGL and QZJ have reminded him from time to time. During past consultation sessions, XX always got called on for that. "Coach Wu didn't come with the group for the championships, but he had pointed out to me practically everything that were supposed to be done in normal times and before the competition. I also often got his reminders through text messages during my time in Japan. Attending this WTTTC I had a strong feeling that my mission was to step on the court and win, and I was completely in the zone since day one in Tokyo." Yet in the team competition, the national team usually provides a relatively relaxed environment for the members, which makes the now fast-paced XX feel disoriented. "How come the team feels so laid-back?" XX turned to his roommate ML, who was stoked at the thought that such a "loafer" could come up with this kind of question. XX also asked WJP the same question and got the same reply in return, that this was lax on the outside but strict within, which may not look fast-paced, when in everyone's mind it is pretended to be at competition. This was the first time XX "sniffed at" the team's slow pace, clearly showing that his own pace had gotten faster.

Breaking out of the Weird Loop Named "Gotta be in Top Shape"

XX used to be a player who was very concerned with "top shape". He said the National Games last year was his worst slump ever. He was all stressed out during the entire tournament and could not pull out of it. XX feels that was the one competition with the most pressure since he started playing table tennis. "I was tensed up the whole time, and my hand was not at my command. Everyone told me beforehand how important the tournament was. Until the time came, I simply could not get myself submerged in the competition. My whole mind was taken over by anxiety." XX expressed he finally buckled under pressure, that the loss of team Shanghai was his doing. "If it wasn't because of that loss at the National Games, I wouldn't have been able to stride forward at the World Cup." I spoke at length with QZJ after the National Games, how we were to come out of the slump and prepare for the World Cup. "Armed with the experience from the National Games, at the semifinal facing off Ovtcharov when I was 2:3 down in games and 4:6 down in points, I threw every last ounce of pressure out the window and gave it my all."

In XX's eyes, the World Cup was the turning point. Ever since clinching the singles title, winning has taken on a new meaning to XX. Into 2014, he no longer goes under periods of excessive mood swings from good results. XX believes this is where he has made the greatest progress during the first half of the year. At the Qatar Open early this year, he was the last player standing from China. At that time, LGL gave him the all-or-nothing order to treat it as if it was the World Cup, that he must take it home, and XX did it again. Now half a year later, XX gives his attitude a passing score.

In fact, this kind of result is the direct culmination of XX breaking away from the loop called "top shape". He used to always make a fuss of fine-tuning himself, hoping that he could get in top shape when the big moment comes around. For this, XX came up with a lot of ideas out of thin air. Sometimes he would deliberately suppress the excitement within himself. Yet other times he would go on a winning streak to give himself sheer confidence. However, whenever a major event is around the corner, he would always get the feeling that something is lacking. This time around before the WTTTC, XX did not fuss over staying in top shape, yet his results and state of mind were better than ever before. "On the one hand, it is probably because my technique and tactics have improved . On the other hand, maybe it is because I am not as concerned now, and instead I've got past the psychological barrier." he concluded.

In the group stage of the WTTTC, LGL told XX that win or loss, he would get to play in the semifinal and final. This was a sign of both trust and pressure, but this time pressure did not get the better of XX. "Since I made all preparations with the expectation of playing, I needed only do my job." For the first two group matches, XX scored a 10:0, which struck him that he had set too fast a pace, but this time it did not occur to him to attempt to contain it, instead, he went with the flow. "In the past, I would get nervous whenever I was in the zone, wondering if it would last, that perhaps it'd be better to suppress it. I remember winning two open titles back in early 2011. Back then I felt really good about my condition. Then came the trials, and I started to waver, thinking maybe I should hold it in, and feeling that the coaches will sign me up even if I could not make it. I did really well during the closed training, then I thought maybe I really should hold it back a notch at the competition. Finally, things hit the fan at the crucial moment. 'Cause the way I did it, the stuff I trained on during closed training all ended up not that solid. I kept thinking I had to keep down, to hold back, and problems arise this way." Now XX finds out that all this obsession with condition was due to the lack of confidence, and always wanting to beat people with good shape. "Now I understand that shape is something that you build up through competition, not by tuning up before the competition."

Sights Set on Olympic Singles

XX still remembers that back at the WTTTC Moscow in 2010, he made all kinds of "preparatory measures". The phrase put between quotes is because, in his eyes now, those were not even fit to be called preparations but merely imaginations. "I would always imagine what would happen in the arena." For this WTTTC, XX made preparations fair and square. "Starting with my first match in the groups, I had been doing simulations in my brain of all possible scenarios I might encounter in the main draw, and to play with the attitude as if it were one. If I didn't, trouble may come up in the knockout stage."

Coming from XX, hearing that line struck me as that he is a lot more matured. "I've played the groups three times already. I am very consistent now." XX joked upon learning my impression of him. XX had already thought about appearing in the final. Rather, he had waited for four years. XX felt the final was the hardest of all at the WTTTC Tokyo. Even though he was confident about beating foreign players, he never expected the match score was what gave him the chills. CHN 1 vs GER 1. There was no way XX would not have experienced emotional fluctuations. "I'd never played in the final. Coming up the first time with the score leveled, I was scared to death!" XX expanded on the atmosphere of the final. Although the day before he had thought about how to respond if the match score were 1:1 or even 0:2, it was a different story when facing it first hand. "That score was so much more worth as a workout than '2:0'!"

Despite the fact that Boll and Ovtcharov are the top targets of the CNT, from XX's perspective, it was in the third match facing off Franziska whose game was the trickiest. "I ran into him in the Open earlier the year, winning 4:2. Very few people outside of China can take two games off of me." XX knew at that time that this player was not easy to handle, but never thought he would come across him in his own first final at the WTTTC. "This reminds me of last year playing against Samsonov in the World Cup final. For the first two receives, one hit on my fingers, and for the other I whiffed the loop. Those two shots didn't even touch the paddle. The match against Franziska at the WTTTC was more or less the same. I didn't serve the first one well and it drifted long. It turned out the dude on the other side was nervous as well and sent it flying. For the second serve I even sent it into the bottom of the net. I was so tense. My hand was not listening to me." In the final, both sides were nervous, and the key at that moment was to see who could first immerse in the match. "When under immense pressure, it felt like the upper body was constantly pushing down on the lower body, as if I couldn't run, and got heavy legs, and hand that didn't listen, and losing very promptly without even my realizing. Yet, this time midway through the first game, I was running the whole field and the body didn't feel that heavy. I was totally in the zone, both technically and tactically."

Coming back from the WTTTC, LGL asked for XX's thoughts in the post-tournament meeting. "I want to beat the strongest player in the big one." XX replied. In XX's heart, it has got to be defeating the best player in big tournaments to prove his worth. "I've had that feeling back at the World Cup. Though Jike and Ma Long didn't participate, the final four was me, Ovtcharov, Boll and Samsonov, all of whom were the strongest opponents from their respective associations. I emerged as the winner at the very end. Bearing the pressure of not losing no matter what and winning it, I felt the rewards were especially huge."

At the WTTTC Tokyo, which was XX's third time attending the WTTTC was sent into the arena in both the semifinal and final for the first time, in which he earned a satisfying score by winning gracefully. In spite of that, he said he didn't find any inner transformation after the WTTTC. "Whereas before, I could have experienced changes both psychologically and emotionally. But since I've had tons of counselling with coach Wu during the closed training, who could predict well ahead of time what my mind would be like after finishing the tournament, everything went as planned once we finished assessment. Because of that, there was not much difference if any. My objective is not to win at the WTTTC. Rather, it's to play the singles at Rio 2016."

No more "Back to Square One" for Me

As the one and only pillar of penholders on the team, XX is now the "crowd's favorite". He started counting all his mentors over the years, that each and every one of them gave him encouragement in many different ways. "Principal Cao(Cao Yanhua) is my greatest supporter. [TL's note: She runs and owns the 'Cao Yanhua Table Tennis Academy', with XX being a former student.] Whenever I ran into any trouble, she'd be the number one to know and step up. Bro Li(Wang Liqin) [TL's note: from Wang's nickname Da Li, literally big power.] is the officer of the Shanghai Table Tennis and Badminton Center. He is different from other bigshots. While he would tell me a lot of things from the management side, he would also help me analyze from the athlete's point of view and let me in on his endeavor. He said to me after the National Games, that at the end of bottoming out the next thing to come is rebound, which was an especially huge push to me." XX was assigned QZJ as his first coach after joining the national team. He remembers vividly of every jar of efforts QZJ had poured in on him between the period of November 11, 2006 and end of March, 2014. "Coach Qin's personality has a direct influence on me. He is prudent and a bit shy, which I've slowly taken on. Coach Qin had been guiding both me and Ma Long all this time, which was very arduous. His hair even turned gray all of a sudden in the early half of 2011. [TL's note: seeing both of his mentees losing to Fei Hao and Da Li at the WTTC Rotterdam certainly didn't help.] Even though I'm now with Coach Wu, our bond hasn't faltered. At the Korea Open, the plan was for Coach Liu and some coaches from the second-string team to lead the team, but coach Liu couldn't make it due to work and coach Qin stepped in to watch my play. At the end of the Open, we even went to get some drinks like we used to."

In the past, XX's impression of coach Wu was that he was amiable. When put under him for real did XX realize the belligerence within WJP. "Coach Wu's training regime is very straightforward. It's all about full-on attack. He doesn't stress about comprehensiveness in technique, but that one's strong suit must stand out." XX has always been a submissive person. Back then it was not because he liked table tennis but rather because it was the coach's choice. "So originally I was the type who would be happy with what little I had, but it was a different story after the London 2012. My goal had never been more clear. After being assigned to coach Wu, we sat down and had a chat where coach Wu gave me an overview of his ambition and expectation, one of which being that anyone under him was expected to play singles in the Olympics, and to hopefully stand atop the highest position of the podium. At that instant, I was impressed by his resolve. I used to be of the type who is not ambitious and fond of fantasies. Back in 2012, I even fantasized about someone in the group getting hurt and I would be given the chance to play the teams in the Olympics. For 2016, I also initially set my goal on securing a spot in the teams first, then the singles. However, coach Wu has cut off every and last evasion and escape route. He has awakened my ambition, that the dream should always be playing the singles. What's more is there are many unknowns with the ball change. The more the variables, the more the chances may come my way. I never realized this, but after conversing with coach Wu, I thought he was right. When we started discussing about techniques and tactics, I told him in all honesty this was totally beyond my original plan. After coming over to coach Wu's group, everyday I was like 'Oh, it can be done this way!'"

At the start of the style change, XX has won a lot of matches both domestic and international. He thought at that time it was a success, because everything was solid, even familiar players had trouble adapting to his game. Then at the wTTTC, foreign players had even more trouble. But then back at the league, XX found out it was getting harder to win. Everyone was getting used to his style. Still going under the change from old to new, XX turned out to be the one who had come full circle. "But you've got to be firm with your style, and guarantee that both technical and tactical features are fundamentally sound. Coach Wu cheered me on saying if I could manage it, it'd be a breakthrough for the penhold grip." Despite the fact that in the league season it would be difficult to secure time slots for systematic training, WJP employed a "one-on-one tactic" to increase the effect to a level comparable to closed training.

XX's next goal is the Asian Games. Even though entries have yet to be decided, XX hopes to perform better in whatever tournament he can get in, as a way to solidify his new game. "Right now the objective of the first stage is to play and score in both semifinal and final of the teams event." The greater goal is the singles of the WTTC next year. XX said that for every tournament of the Rio Olympics cycle, he would treat it as if it were the last chance, with no turning back. "In the past, I'd tell myself there was the next chance whenever I lost, always thinking that there was going to be a second chance. I've done that many times already. I've stopped that thinking since the National Games, that there is only that many chances in one's life, so just treat it like it is the last."

The X Factor Sought after

"The 2009 WTTC trial was when I just became a first-stringer. Back then I was especially afraid of people saying choosing me for the WTTC was out of consideration for penhold players, so I was the first to make it at the Yokohama trials. I wanted to prove my strength, and didn't wish for any preferential treatment. As a penholder, I've known ever since moving up to the first-string team that there is not much meaning in being a sparring partner. As penholders are few and far between in foreign countries, it's gotta be first-stringer."

"I'm now the tallest among all members of the first-string team. Same for hand size, which is also the largest."

Q & A about XX

Q: What kind of role does LGL play in XX's heart?
Coach Liu is always omnipotent. There is always something to gain from a chat with him. There were moments where I let him down, say at the National Games where I did not step up as team Shanghai's number one. When faced with pressure, I did not have my own solution. There were times coach Liu would give me all-or-none order, such as last year's World Cup and this year's Qatar Open where I was the only player left from China, he insisted that I took the title.

Q: Can we say we have a success case when it comes to your attitude change at the WTTTC Tokyo?
Yes, sort of. There was some progress made on attitude management when faced with pressure. However, I feel this WTTTC was merely a starting point for me as it was my debut in the final of a WTTTC. I also hope this tournament can serve as a motivation for me to move forward and that I can run into stronger opponents at the next big event.

Q: Have you started preparations for next year's WTTC?
My goal next year is to make it to the singles final and clinch the title. Nonetheless, it is one step at a time. For that, my game must be sound before that and I am training up to it. At the same time, I have to be able to put it into practice in match play, which is something I need to do in the league, using match play as training to bridge the gap between my new game and real match situation. The only way to victory is to complement one's shortcomings.

Q: Do you feel you have matured a lot?
I feel that I am more sensible and coolheaded. Now when I play I do not get confused as easily as before and I do not get as much irrational urge. My mental state has gotten relatively more stable.

Q: In the new ball era, does it mean your chance has come?
When it comes to the ball change, it is both a chance and a challenge for everyone. But no one has played with it yet, who knows who will benefit or suffer from it. In case it means a chance and a breakthrough for me, I feel that it will breathe life into the penhold grip, that more beginners will pick up the penhold style.

Edited by zeio - 09/22/2014 at 3:14pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 4:22am

XU on clay feet, so easy to break...

XU's playing merits are far too OVERPRAISED .
Agressive blocking play is to effectively damp Xu's arrogant mindset down, to a total lost of mind and body power.
tt-panopticum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt-panopticum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 7:24am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Agressive blocking play is to effectively damp Xu's arrogant mindset down, to a total lost of mind and body power.

Didn't XuXin win 4:2 - so, with "...,so easy to break..." you mean the two games he got?

Do you know Xu Xin personally, otherwise I'd find it quite arrogant to call someone  "arrogant" just by looking some youtube video's Confused

Just my 2cents of course
john18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 7:40am
Thank you very much zeio !
This is very interesting ! I love Xu Xin playing style and I hope he 'll do well in the future.

Sadly, he is the last top penholder and, contrary to him, I think it will be very difficult to see others at top level.
He thinks that the new ball will help penholders. I wonder why ? I tend to think the opposite because there will be more rallies maybe so 2 wings loopers may be favored. Any thoughts ?

Apparently, the Asian Games will be played with the old ball so we won't be able to see the effects of the ne ball on him for now but I'm really impatient to see if he's right (I hope so).
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 8:55am
Originally posted by tt-panopticum tt-panopticum wrote:

Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Didn't XuXin win 4:2 - so, with "...,so easy to break..." you mean the two games he got?

Do you know Xu Xin personally, otherwise I'd find it quite arrogant to call someone  "arrogant" just by looking some youtube video's Confused

Just my 2cents of course

+1 how can you judge the wr #1 like that when clearly it works for him...
Samsonov Force Pro BE AN 82g | 2x Aurus Prime 2.1
Rapid Carbon Light AN 72g | 2x Aurus Prime 2.1
FS Feedback
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 9:09am
According to the ITTF records, XX is 3-0 against KM.  RatingsCentral has XX at 3-1.  KM might be a superb blocker but you need more than that to beat XX.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/Xiom Omega VII Asia Max BH/Omega VII Asia Max
OSP Virtuoso+, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 9:31am
Thanks again zeio!!
YE JTTAA
Yinhe Big dipper FH/BH
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by john18 john18 wrote:

This is very interesting ! I love Xu Xin playing style and I hope he 'll do well in the future.

Sadly, he is the last top penholder and, contrary to him, I think it will be very difficult to see others at top level.
He thinks that the new ball will help penholders. I wonder why ? I tend to think the opposite because there will be more rallies maybe so 2 wings loopers may be favored. Any thoughts ?

Apparently, the Asian Games will be played with the old ball so we won't be able to see the effects of the ne ball on him for now but I'm really impatient to see if he's right (I hope so).

Glad you like it.

From what I gather, his line of thought is that if the new ball turns out to be of benefit to his style and thus a chance and a breakthrough for him, which means clinching the WTTC singles title next year, then people new to the sport will be more likely to choose the penhold grip. Just like how Wang Hao won the Egypt and Netherland Open back in 2002 and took the world by storm with his full-on RPB. Like he said and what WJP mentioned, he is confident that he can beat any top foreigners and none of them have managed to take advantage of the holes in his game, and he is patching them up, so the real question is whether he can get that done in time and conquer the new ball which is new to anyone and hopefully get past his teammates, namely ZJK and ML, at the next WTTC.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 3:09pm
Thanks for the article, zeio.  Great read and I am sure that without your good work, I would never have been privileged to read it.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 45
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 3:51pm
No problem, NextLevel. As a penhold-to-shakehand convert, this is the least I can do for a lost art. There is more coming. Heck, I'm feeling the flow.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
john18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Originally posted by john18 john18 wrote:

Glad you like it.

From what I gather, his line of thought is that if the new ball turns out to be of benefit to his style and thus a chance and a breakthrough for him, which means clinching the WTTC singles title next year, then people new to the sport will be more likely to choose the penhold grip. Just like how Wang Hao won the Egypt and Netherland Open back in 2002 and took the world by storm with his full-on RPB. Like he said and what WJP mentioned, he is confident that he can beat any top foreigners and none of them have managed to take advantage of the holes in his game, and he is patching them up, so the real question is whether he can get that done in time and conquer the new ball which is new to anyone and hopefully get past his teammates, namely ZJK and ML, at the next WTTC.

Oh ! Thank you very much AGAIN! I don't know how but I've missed this thread (esteemed coach...).
These threads/translations are pure gems for me.

Yeah, I understand for the chance and the breakthrough with the new ball that can attract new people to penhold (WH example is nice).
In the "esteemed coach..." article, WJP talks about 3rd ball attack and quick finish of the point but it doesn't seem to be the trend with the new ball.

However, I really hope Xu Xin could have good results because he is a pleasure to watch and it will be very sad if penhold disappears.

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 8:39pm
I see where you're coming from. In retrospect, with the 38mm ball, the hidden serve, and the speedglue gone, rallies have gotten a little longer and, in response, players have become stronger to cope with it, yet 3rd ball attack still remains today and its presence ever stronger. Intimately tied to the quality of service, the intent behind the 3rd ball attack is to be able to cut the rally short with an outright winner whenever the chance presents itself, putting immense pressure on your opponent. It has always carried an equal amount of risk, and it may have gotten more difficult to pull off but when you do it is never less effective, and it is nonetheless the most reliable approach when it counts the most.

Edited by zeio - 09/22/2014 at 8:40pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 8:45pm
Thank You Zeio for the read!
lewis1253 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewis1253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 10:31pm
Wonderful to read! I really cannot get over just how intimate the coaches and the players are with each other concerning their fundamental psychologies. Really amazing.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic