Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Increased dificulty question ?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Increased dificulty question ?!?
    Posted: 11/11/2019 at 5:37pm
Anyone familiar with the name of that stroke used in the 2nd attack
from the player with red t-shirt?! He is using it often, probably well trained stroke
I missed in my preparation back in time...
Never seen it before! Big smile

Edited by kolevtt - 11/11/2019 at 5:42pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2019 at 7:54pm
I don't think you'll find a name for that stroke.  He may be the only one that uses it.
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2019 at 8:17pm
just taking it early and hitting flat - fast push block? you see a lot of that but mostly off the backhand

Edited by Charlie Brown - 11/11/2019 at 8:20pm
*sigh*
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2019 at 8:27pm
When he serves with Fh he twiddle to use the red side.  Does that mean the black side is long or medium pips.  That would explain a lot of why that stroke works so well.

Mark
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2019 at 9:45pm
I don´t know the name, but I can say this: ugly as hell.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2019 at 9:58pm
Some people use a side motion of the fh to receive serves and contact more on the side, where the spin is less aggressive or more controllable. See NextLevel in his match v. Heavyspin there for example; There too.
In the OP's video I believe it's an extreme way to to that, a hit contacting on the side of the ball giving a bit of side spin and enhancing the direction away from the table. A side effect but major feature is the surprise because he can go either way and reveal his intentions and break his wrist (more) very late, right before contact.
osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 12:40am
it is called ugly technique
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 12:54am
Isn't that just a FH fade counter? Timo uses that very often too...
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: TinArc 5
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 2:52am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

When he serves with Fh he twiddle to use the red side.  Does that mean the black side is long or medium pips.  That would explain a lot of why that stroke works so well.

Mark
I think Jack said (in the Italy thread) that it's pips.  I asked but never found out what kind of pips.  I don't think it can be regular long pips because of the way he plays aggressively with it, but maybe a grippy long pip or perhaps medium pips.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 10:16am
I use the "shove drive" all the time when I can't get my feet in position as seen here
TT idiom - Don't count your rating before the match.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 11:27am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Isn't that just a FH fade counter? Timo uses that very often too...

Yes, that is all it is.  You use the arm and the incoming pace/spin and produce something.  Nothing special, it just requires a commitment that may impact other parts of your game if you are taking every ball off the bounce with it as it is too hard to sustain that with the power in the modern men's game.  Many people who don't really counterloop or back off the table use it a lot.

In the case above, it is probably a hitting pips stroke.  That is why he feels consistent using it.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/12/2019 at 11:29am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 190
FH: Tibhar MX-K 2.1 B
BH: Tibhar MX-K 2.1 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 12:11pm
Sometimes he is kind of going "inside out" with the stroke. I used to play against someone -- decades ago -- with a stroke and grip like that, in fact, this was when I first started playing seriously There are some aspects of the way this guy plays that remind me a bit of Eric Bogan (much lower level of course). Even though the grip is not the same, it functions similarly.
notfound123 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 12:38pm
The guy has short pips ... i cant think of another reason why his shots land..

Edited by notfound123 - 11/12/2019 at 2:14pm
VKMO | V>15 Extra | Curl P4
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Sometimes he is kind of going "inside out" with the stroke. I used to play against someone -- decades ago -- with a stroke and grip like that, in fact, this was when I first started playing seriously There are some aspects of the way this guy plays that remind me a bit of Eric Bogan (much lower level of course). Even though the grip is not the same, it functions similarly.

Yeah, I just thought it was a weird formed inside out like a windshield wiper
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 8:09am
Its a forehand variation of a punch block imo. Its ugly, so it means I have done it, albeit with very, very little success.
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 10:11am
Just some unorthodox style, that's it. Use more spin to deal with this type of play. 
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 3:29am
Its called the papa roach. 
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 9:15am
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

Just some unorthodox style, that's it. Use more spin to deal with this type of play. 

IMO, if you can make sure your ball lands deep, no such odd style survives.
(for some, this may be easier than adding spin, which can also come back to you!).
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand: Stiga Allround WRB (71g)/Vega Europe max/Innova Ultra Light max (total 153g)
Fitness Friendship Fun
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 11:25am
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

IMO, if you can make sure your ball lands deep, no such odd style survives.
(for some, this may be easier than adding spin, which can also come back to you!).

That guy is pretty good at pushing fast ball back with good placements. 

I feel slower and very spinny ball will give him some trouble as he doesn't seem to have the technique to deal with that sort of ball.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic