Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

inside out pendulum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: inside out pendulum
    Posted: 01/05/2010 at 4:15am
Does anyone do the inside out pendulum serve with a normal grip (fingers still wrapped around the blade), including pros? I know most due it removing the fingers to hold the paddle like Boll or Maze but I have trouble getting underspin when I do this.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
Sponsored Links

Ryu_S_M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryu_S_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 5:18am
kong linghui do it without changing his grip.
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 5:30am

You can find a lot of chinese players doing that serve with the normal grip. Example would be Ma Long. There are others too.

Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 5:43am
schlager does it. its one of his good serves. its called reverse pendulum serve also
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 10:45am
OKay so you want to learn the reverse pendulum ? I know the pros is like 10 thousand times better than I am but I can make a video and show you how to do it, I can give you some instructions also. It's not that hard actually if you practice a lot. I know what's happening with the I can't get underspin with your reverse pendulum serve. The thing is you have to contact under the ball, keep your elbow pointing downwards. I can even show you through webcam if you need that much help ;)
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
Video: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-p2VHaiDk
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7bHoFRj_oU
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYnqlW
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Reinecke Reinecke wrote:

Does anyone do the inside out pendulum serve with a normal grip (fingers still wrapped around the blade), including pros? I know most due it removing the fingers to hold the paddle like Boll or Maze but I have trouble getting underspin when I do this.
If you are looking for more spin (counter clockwise side/under) then you'd probably be better off doing a side under backhand serve. The reverse pendulum is nice for playing side-under/side-dead/side-top games with people but it doesn't generate as much underspin as some other serve styles (pendulum,backhand).
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

If you are looking for more spin (counter clockwise side/under) then you'd probably be better off doing a side under backhand serve. The reverse pendulum is nice for playing side-under/side-dead/side-top games with people but it doesn't generate as much underspin as some other serve styles (pendulum,backhand).

Man, I don't know if you can do that serve or not but I can guanrantee you reverse pendulum might create same spin like side under backhand serve but it aint the same. You don't have to stand in the middle, you can still stand in the corner so its much more easier to setup a 3rd ball attack with your FH. And btw, when you serve reverse, you are not aiming for too much backspin, it is the effect of the reverse spin which is what you need to setup your attack.
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 1:52pm
Getting the underspin takes a while to learn anyhow. I first started trying it with my hands loosely contacting the handle, but I couldn't get my wrist to bend far enough like that, so I switched to the thumb+index finger grip and started practicing it over and over. I think it's easier to at first just hold the paddle still in the serving position you want, and using only body momentum and forearm movement to serve it over the net with some semblance of the results you want. Just keep doing it like that until you feel comfortable enough in consistently getting it over the net don't worry so much about location or depth. Once you get the hang of it start adding wrist to your shot to adjust spin, location, depth. I've been spending my winter break learning this serve myself :P. 
Your play will change your opinion of your equipment more than your equipment will change your opinion of your play.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 1:52pm
what's your current setup rein? from the vids i saw, it looks like you're still contacting behind the ball too much, this might be the reason why you're not getting much action on the ball...
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 3:00pm
Thanks guys great advice, and TBS9x a video would be great! I feel like I am very close to getting this serve down, I will upload a video of it as soon as I get back to school. Tuan my setup is going to be Sriver EL on FH and Sriver FX on BH for probably the next 8 months at least, I think using a one ply WRC blade from american hinoki.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by TBS9x TBS9x wrote:

Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

Man, I don't know if you can do that serve or not but I can guanrantee you reverse pendulum might create same spin like side under backhand serve but it aint the same. You don't have to stand in the middle, you can still stand in the corner so its much more easier to setup a 3rd ball attack with your FH. And btw, when you serve reverse, you are not aiming for too much backspin, it is the effect of the reverse spin which is what you need to setup your attack.
Of course I can do both serves, serving is the strongest point of my game LOL I am working on mastering BH serves though for tight situations (like my serve, 10 serving 9, 3 games each). You don't have to stand in the middle for BH serves either. In fact, if you don't stand in the middle, it would probably be more unusual/confusing for your opponent and win you the point assuming you pulled out a very vicious serve he hadn't seen at all during the match. You have to factor in where your opponent is weaker and how he will return too. Also, Reinecke is right handed and a reverse pendulum serve will curve out into an opponent's forehand (assuming opponent is right handed and standing crosscourt from him; serve will be travelling more straight at opponent then curve into his forehand). It'd work better with leftys where it'd curve from their forehand into their body. That being said, assuming you're doing a serve that trajectory-wise is going to be advantageous to your opponent, you should do your best to keep it as low and spinny as possible, thus a BH version would have more side-under spin and could be kept just as low. (side note: I can generate way more side-top spin with reverse pendulum than I can with BH).
MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 5:09pm
I've been trying to incorporate this serve into my repertoire lately and the biggest issue I have found is serving pure underspin. I have to bend my wrist so much to get my racket underneath the ball, but I really want the pure underspin variation of this serve because it is the spin no one really expects from this motion. Even if they see it, they may not believe it in time. Zhang Jike has very good amounts of underspin on this serve.

Also, according to Schlager's training video, he does not perform this serve with his normal grip.

edit - I also cannot serve very fast balls with this motion yet. Anyone have any tips for that?
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 5:15pm
I can help with that long serve mildseven. transfer your weight right to left (if right handed), rotate your body, and make your blade face more perpendicular to the table. hit with topspin and have the first bounce be close to your endline.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2010 at 12:57am
Can anybody do a reverse back spin with enough spin to take the ball back to the net (a la Malin's ghost server)?
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2010 at 2:10am
not very practical but i don't see why someone can't do it....i can't though =(
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2010 at 2:46am
One of my older friends does it. He even claims to have invented the serve in the mid 70s. :)
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2010 at 2:52am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD02s8uTSzw

schlager does change his grip the way maze and boll do to do the reverse pendulum. look at 0:25 seconds and on: the handle is on the wrist!

BUT now jump to 4:57. The reverse pendulum that way adds more deception.
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2010 at 3:12am
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

Can anybody do a reverse back spin with enough spin to take the ball back to the net (a la Malin's ghost server)?

I haven't seen any pros did that and I think its quite impossible since to make a ghost serve like Ma Lin, the racket should be kinda tilt, when you slice under the ball the you have to hook the racket up a little bit ( I don't know how to describe Embarrassed but you need to go under the ball and the brush upwards also ) in order to make lots of backspin and make the ball go back Tongue. But I will try to experiment that, will be pretty hard though.
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2010 at 4:23am
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

its not that hard to make it come back with one bounce each side , but it's very hard to do it at a low height. ill often do it for fun against Jnrs as they can't reach lol
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2010 at 4:26am

this is a hard serve for me I can do a mild one but I can't get it spinny
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2010 at 4:06pm

Thanks guys great advice, and TBS9x a video would be great! I feel like I am very close to getting this serve down, I will upload a video of it as soon as I get back to school. Tuan my setup is going to be Sriver EL on FH and Sriver FX on BH for probably the next 8 months at least, I think using a one ply WRC blade from american hinoki.

I made the video and I'm editing it ( might take a while ) but are you sure you need it? Since you said you have problem making underspin ( am I right? ) then I made the video clip focus on that but I use boll's, maze's grip. If you only need Schlager's style then I won't upload it then cuz it's kinda hard to perform right Smile
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2010 at 4:25pm
upload!!! i wanna see too!! =D
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

walleyeguy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyeguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2010 at 6:33pm
i recommend switching
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2010 at 7:32pm
I meant bringing back the ball by putting a lot of spin on it, not by throwing a high, slow ball.  I have problem putting back spin on a reverse pendulum.  I can do some not much.
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2010 at 3:17am
Okay, so boll's grip is fine ? I haven't seen pros make any reverse ghost serve yet :D Even Schlager didn't do that. But anyway, I don't know how much backspin can I generate with my serve but the serve usually goes low and many times I've seen opponent pushing into the net and their faces look like this =( :)) ( Editing in progress....)
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2010 at 4:39am
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2010 at 11:17am
2 bounces and everything! this is nice.
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2010 at 11:29am
Originally posted by TBS9x TBS9x wrote:

hope this helps : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-p2VHaiDk
Sweet, good job. Those are some pretty brutal court barriers. I'd be scared to go for any wide balls Smile
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2010 at 1:10pm
yea...that dungeon looks like you can hold a few dead bodies in there....
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2010 at 1:20pm
LOL XD I forgot to tell you guys not to focus on the background :)) I know it sucks... It's a basement in the place I live at the moment...
@tpgh2k: it can hold a sht load of dead bodies there not onyl few :P
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic