Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Multiball Helping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mr.ishaq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.ishaq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Multiball Helping?
    Posted: 11/16/2012 at 8:32pm
Hi Big smile

My problem is I can't play well after doing some multiball sessions with a local coach. My forms went weird and I felt weird. Recently, I avoid coach multiball sessions, make myself occupied with visitors who want to do basic strokes. I know it was rude but I played better rather than training with coach. 

Is multiball training session really helping? Did I do it the wrong way ie shouldn't play after sessions?
"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." World Champion Zhang Jike
Sponsored Links

The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2012 at 8:47pm
Other than your strokes, it will help your footwork. it makes you play more actively versus "re-actively"
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2012 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by mr.ishaq mr.ishaq wrote:

Hi Big smile

My problem is I can't play well after doing some multiball sessions with a local coach. My forms went weird and I felt weird. Recently, I avoid coach multiball sessions, make myself occupied with visitors who want to do basic strokes. I know it was rude but I played better rather than training with coach. 

Is multiball training session really helping? Did I do it the wrong way ie shouldn't play after sessions?

It really depends on what you aim to accomplish. Multiball has its uses, but for beginners and intermediate players I think multiball is a wrong way to go. These players would benefit a lot more from consistency training with one ball rather than blind speed and power.

I also strongly believe that many "coaches" tend to hide behind multiball training as a teaching methodology as opposed to actually teaching and explaining things.
Back to table tennis...
zscpro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zscpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2012 at 10:29pm
Multiball training is the best way to improve you table tennis skill.  (multi balls gave by robot and coach are two different thing, if your coach use robot, FIRED HIM)

BTY TMB ZLC
FH:Tenergy 05
BH:Tenergy 64-fx

Stiga EBENHOLZ NCT VII
FH:Haifu Blue Whale 2
BH: Sriver G3
http://www.facebook.com/tabletennis4u
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 2:20am
Don't play after a multiball session, just go rest because you are supposed to be exhausted. If you want to play, do it before multiball.
Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 4:58am

Hi Big smileMy problem is I can't play well after doing some multiball sessions with a local coach. My forms went weird and I felt weird. Recently, I avoid coach multiball sessions, make myself occupied with visitors who want to do basic strokes. I know it was rude but I played better rather than training with coach. Is multiball training session really helping? Did I do it the wrong way ie shouldn't play after sessions?

Hi Ishaq
You are tired after multiball, so that means you worked hard which is good.

However if you think you should just play without training because you play better when not tired, then you are being short sighted. Training, (multiball & 1 ball drills) are for your future as a player. If you skip training, maybe you will beat your clubmate today, but you will not play well in tournaments in the future.

However I agree with Leshxa, I must say that if multiball is done in the wrong way it can be a bad thing. Many times I see videos of players doing multiball and they are missing maybe 50% of the balls. Either the coach is feeding too fast, or the players stroke and footwork is not good enough. In this case the players should do consistency training with 1 ball. When you you can do a 20 shot rally falkenberg drill, then you are ready to do it multiball.

The problem with multiball & robot is that when you make a mistake, you still get fed another ball. This rewards failure too much. So many times I see players pleased after super fast multiball, but they missed nearly 50% of the balls!! That kind of multiball does harm to your game.
With 1 ball if you make a 20 shot rally it is a proof of your consistency. then maybe you are ready for multiball

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 11/17/2012 at 4:59am
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 6:14am
multiball drilling is the best way to learn the basic skills and strokes. most people think that if you do multiball you will already become very good. however, multibal drill is but one part of several essential methods to fully develop a game. if you are starting to develop your strokes, do not focus on winning but rather on the development of correct strokes. coupled with technical table drill, service receive and doing serves, countering after you do multiball will greatly improve your game. i wil not let people tell me that multiball is not good for beginners because in the 3 years that i am doing coaching (close to 100 kids and counting) , the ones who do multiball at the start develop faster than those who don't. sure those players who were taught just how to score will win at first but kids or players who have learned the basics thru multiballing develop better gameplays
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
KleinesDickesAilton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KleinesDickesAilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 6:44am
multiball is only as good as your coach
Kugelblitz
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 7:18am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

multiball drilling is the best way to learn the basic skills and strokes. most people think that if you do multiball you will already become very good. however, multibal drill is but one part of several essential methods to fully develop a game. if you are starting to develop your strokes, do not focus on winning but rather on the development of correct strokes. coupled with technical table drill, service receive and doing serves, countering after you do multiball will greatly improve your game. i wil not let people tell me that multiball is not good for beginners because in the 3 years that i am doing coaching (close to 100 kids and counting) , the ones who do multiball at the start develop faster than those who don't. sure those players who were taught just how to score will win at first but kids or players who have learned the basics thru multiballing develop better gameplays

Hi Yogi
How do you deal with those pupils that are consistently energetic but not accurate?
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 7:40am
its rather a case to case basis and also your own innovative ways to deal with such players. i think its important to accept that not all who players who learn table tennis can be competitively good. i think from experience, 2 out of 10 kids are the ones that can be that good. the other 8 can have good strokes but doesn't have what it takes to be champs. also, patience is the key for these players. one thing i have learned from my mentor who is a former national champion and national coach told me that it is ok for kids to miss their shots provided they did the right execution of the stroke. time will come they will develop their accuracy better. i think he simply means that you have to be patient and let the player mature together with the right guidance. if there are errors in the stroke, always go back to the basics, step by step of each stroke.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Hi Big smile

It really depends on what you aim to accomplish. Multiball has its uses, but for beginners and intermediate players I think multiball is a wrong way to go. These players would benefit a lot more from consistency training with one ball rather than blind speed and power.

I also strongly believe that many "coaches" tend to hide behind multiball training as a teaching methodology as opposed to actually teaching and explaining things.

I can't argue with the results of how Koreans teach, even if I think they stay too long on the simple things in the beginning. Multiball is one of the big things for beginners and a lot of U1600 UASTTish level players, prolly about 70% multiball, 30% single ball on real simple strokes. Once players are able to certain things to a certain standard, the multiball drills get more complicated and are really accelerated versions of combination drills. Once you get to about 2000 USATT level, there is probably 70% + Single ball and less than 30% multiball, and even those are combo drills, for example, coach feeds an underspin to Bh corner, you BH loop it, coach feeds a simulation of a blocked ball to BH corner, you step around and FH loop, coach quickly feeds a ball to wide Fh down the line, you crossover step and finish the ball.

Multiball is important to coaches in Korea and it seems the whole bunch of them know what they are doing and have a system. (I need to steal their coaching manual before I leave Korea!) Coaches are very detailed to explain what errors are beng made and sometimes, it can get really comical. (as a bystander watching the action)
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 9:15am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Hi Big smile

I can't argue with the results of how Koreans teach, even if I think they stay too long on the simple things in the beginning. Multiball is one of the big things for beginners and a lot of U1600 UASTTish level players, prolly about 70% multiball, 30% single ball on real simple strokes. Once players are able to certain things to a certain standard, the multiball drills get more complicated and are really accelerated versions of combination drills. Once you get to about 2000 USATT level, there is probably 70% + Single ball and less than 30% multiball, and even those are combo drills, for example, coach feeds an underspin to Bh corner, you BH loop it, coach feeds a simulation of a blocked ball to BH corner, you step around and FH loop, coach quickly feeds a ball to wide Fh down the line, you crossover step and finish the ball.

Multiball is important to coaches in Korea and it seems the whole bunch of them know what they are doing and have a system. (I need to steal their coaching manual before I leave Korea!) Coaches are very detailed to explain what errors are beng made and sometimes, it can get really comical. (as a bystander watching the action)

I've reached 2k without ANY multiball training. It also didn't take me 4 years to get there...

I've done a few sessions since then, but those were never the "hit all forehands anywhere" training or do "100" backhands training. All multiball training that was done since then was combination training consisting of 3-7 shot combinations, where if I go with sufficient power and speed on my shots as I am supposed to in real game, the partner would have a hard time controlling the placement of the next return. So its best to mimic this specialized training with a multiball feel.

I still strongly believe that many people do not understand how to properly construct their training and make up pointless multiball sessions and even worse - paying for them. These multiball sessions would have been easily and better replaced by a proper robot routine.

I also wanted to say that regarding your quote above about 1600USATT training multiball at 70% and 2k+ doing it at 30%, it seems very much incorrect to me. One can easily be 1600-1800 without any footwork or even with huge glaring weaknesses in the game. At 2k+ footwork becomes a significant requirement to further improvement.

Edited by Leshxa - 11/17/2012 at 9:19am
Back to table tennis...
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 1:31pm

Leshxa-

Multball is just a method of getting a lot of repetition, which is essential for development in anything, in a relatively short amount of time. But what is equally as important, and often overlooked, is the quality of of that repetition. Deliberate practice, as Anders Ericsson puts it. I think it is the latter issue that you are addressing and rightfully so. Coaches who are trying to exploit students for money and/or resources, or who just don't know what they are doing, can and do use multiball to create false sense of accomplishment.

I've reached 2k without ANY multiball training. It also didn't take me 4 years to get there...

Yes but I would argue that this is mostly due to other factors rather than whether or not you did multiball. To state the converse would be to say that you would not have reached 2k had you done multiball. I am not saying it is necessary just that it can be more efficient.

I've done a few sessions since then, but those were never the "hit all forehands anywhere" training or do "100" backhands training.

That is somewhat of a straw man argument. The time to do this is if you are trying to resolve stroke mechanics issues where you don’t want to worry so much about where the ball is going as how you hit the ball. This is evident in these vids where you see LGL giving advice for stroke correction.

All multiball training that was done since then was combination training consisting of 3-7 shot combinations, where if I go with sufficient power and speed on my shots as I am supposed to in real game, the partner would have a hard time controlling the placement of the next return. So its best to mimic this specialized training with a multiball feel.

You might want to consider doing some random and overload training as well then.

I still strongly believe that many people do not understand how to properly construct their training and make up pointless multiball sessions and even worse - paying for them. These multiball sessions would have been easily and better replaced by a proper robot routine.

+1
People also do pointless table work or just hit a few fh’s and bh’s and start playing. It’s not the tool but the intent of the user. Also I consider using a robot as multiball just with a different feeder. Given a choice I would rather have a human feeder though.

I also wanted to say that regarding your quote above about 1600USATT training multiball at 70% and 2k+ doing it at 30%, it seems very much incorrect to me. One can easily be 1600-1800 without any footwork or even with huge glaring weaknesses in the game. At 2k+ footwork becomes a significant requirement to further improvement.

I am not sure but I think he was referring to Jr’s who are probably laying down the foundation for longer term development.

Edited by V-Griper - 11/17/2012 at 1:34pm
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 4:13pm

yogi bear can you give me the details of drills when coaching your kids?  cant find manuals for teaching kids, how to develop forehand(the do's and donts)
zscpro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zscpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 5:16pm
If you are going to train kids, you should start with multiball!

The following are some video of kids trains with multi balls.

http://www.soku.com/search_video/q_%E5%B0%8F%E5%BD%A6%E6%B7%9E
BTY TMB ZLC
FH:Tenergy 05
BH:Tenergy 64-fx

Stiga EBENHOLZ NCT VII
FH:Haifu Blue Whale 2
BH: Sriver G3
http://www.facebook.com/tabletennis4u
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

Leshxa-

Multball is just a method of getting a lot of repetition, which is essential for development in anything, in a relatively short amount of time. But what is equally as important, and often overlooked, is the quality of of that repetition. Deliberate practice, as Anders Ericsson puts it. I think it is the latter issue that you are addressing and rightfully so. Coaches who are trying to exploit students for money and/or resources, or who just don't know what they are doing, can and do use multiball to create false sense of accomplishment.

Yes but I would argue that this is mostly due to other factors rather than whether or not you did multiball. To state the converse would be to say that you would not have reached 2k had you done multiball. I am not saying it is necessary just that it can be more efficient.

I've done a few sessions since then, but those were never the "hit all forehands anywhere" training or do "100" backhands training.

That is somewhat of a straw man argument. The time to do this is if you are trying to resolve stroke mechanics issues where you don’t want to worry so much about where the ball is going as how you hit the ball. This is evident in these vids where you see LGL giving advice for stroke correction.

All multiball training that was done since then was combination training consisting of 3-7 shot combinations, where if I go with sufficient power and speed on my shots as I am supposed to in real game, the partner would have a hard time controlling the placement of the next return. So its best to mimic this specialized training with a multiball feel.

You might want to consider doing some random and overload training as well then.

+1
People also do pointless table work or just hit a few fh’s and bh’s and start playing. It’s not the tool but the intent of the user. Also I consider using a robot as multiball just with a different feeder. Given a choice I would rather have a human feeder though.

I am not sure but I think he was referring to Jr’s who are probably laying down the foundation for longer term development.

I am familiar with the concept of deliberate practice, so lets look at the multiball. What is deliberately being worked on by multiball that will be purposeful in a match? In depth look shows, that multiball generally is great at learning many things, but not all of the skills worked on in the multiball directly transfer into a match, especially at the beginner and intermediate level.

There are two patterns of thought for training. One adopted by players who swear by multiball training is that these players would rather learn to be quick, fast, powerful first, then they want to learn to to apply their skills to win. The other thought is adopted from the concepts in tennis - first learn to hit the ball in, and then learn to hit it hard.  So the difference is that the first group of players train top down - using the best of the best as example, the other group learns bottom up - learning to apply their present skills and improving them slightly. I think most amateurs would benefit from the 2nd approach more, rather than the 1st. If someone wants to be a world champion from the get go and knows that he is committed enough to do EVERYTHING to get there, then first approach is certainly viable.

Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

Which factors are you referring to above? I am sorry I don't quite understand.

I never stated the converse by the way. I have seen quite a few players go through multiball regiment, but I haven't seen any real evidence that these players achieved their goals faster or went further. I know that players who train with too much multiball struggle against pip and anti because they never train against it, since multiball really doesn't cover that too well. Although you can mimic anti and pip shots with multiball, this does not facilitate the learning environment to understand the effects these rubbers have on the ball in order to prepare the player for the next shot.

Again, I am not against it, but I would urge anyone to train in accordance with a solid development program for table tennis. It is not enough to multiball and expect to be able to blast through all the levels of table tennis quickly and easily. There are skills that cannot be learned well with multiball.

On a side note, I have a feeling that this is exactly whey US is behind in table tennis. The notion of adopting training from abroad and making it a blind rule without truly having a formal development program in many places is counter productive. Only in a few areas around the country where the programs are strong and sound are the places where the better players emerge. The rest of the places seem to produce mostly amateurs.
Back to table tennis...
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 8:57pm

I've always been a supporter that coaching should be flexible and adapt to the way the student learns the best.  Some students can gain a ton from multiball while others will not gain much.

I've seen coached students multiballed for years only to result them being "programmed" in terms that sure they can multiball awesome, but when it comes to a true game scenario and incoming balls are randomized from the opponent, they do horribly because they're too use to knowing whats coming from the multiball instead of truly reading the opponent and reacting.

I've also seen the opposite where a heavy dose of multiball made some players alot better.

So the way I see it, it's the coaches job to really ask the student how much they feel they're gaining learning that way and what results are being shown in terms of actual game play.  Alot of students feel cheated being multiballed heavily when it doesn't translate alot in actual games so in reality, it feels like they paid $30+ an hour to have a glorified hitting partner.  Also it's very difficult for coaches to accurately simulate how lower level opponents play when people are first learning (i know tons of people have trouble with that). 

Personally, unless ones planning to really get serious in table tennis and go as high as possible, I feel that normal club players gain more from coaches actually teaching them the game with a little multiball sprinkled in for scenario training vs multiballing them endlessly.

Edited by Rack - 11/17/2012 at 9:02pm
Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Rack Rack wrote:

I've always been a supporter that coaching should be flexible and adapt to the way the student learns the best.  Some students can gain a ton from multiball while others will not gain much.

I've seen coached students multiballed for years only to result them being "programmed" in terms that sure they can multiball awesome, but when it comes to a true game scenario and incoming balls are randomized from the opponent, they do horribly because they're too use to knowing whats coming from the multiball instead of truly reading the opponent and reacting.

I've also seen the opposite where a heavy dose of multiball made some players alot better.

So the way I see it, it's the coaches job to really ask the student how much they feel they're gaining learning that way and what results are being shown in terms of actual game play.  Alot of students feel cheated being multiballed heavily when it doesn't translate alot in actual games so in reality, it feels like they paid $30+ an hour to have a hitting partner. 

Personally, unless ones planning to really get serious in table tennis and go as high as possible, I feel that normal club players gain more from coaches actually teaching them the game with a little multiball sprinkled in for scenario training vs multiballing them endlessly.

Well said!

Multiball is a training tool, not THE training.
Back to table tennis...
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 9:09pm

Most definitely... and certain tools work for certain people and not for others.  We all as players and unique individuals know what works the best in terms of how we personally learn.  Equate it to someone in school.... some people learn best by reading and studying.... while other people can't do that well.  Some people learn well by doing and being hands on.  It's the same for TT... some people learn from actually playing the game while others learn by drills drills and more drills.

For the OP... I would recommend you ask your coach if they can multiball you a scenario for a short time (10 mins) then simulate what you were drilling in actual different full in game scenario practice points.  Keep in mind during multiball, you can be out of breath or muscles will be super tense which you will never hit in an actual in game scenario so you have to let yourself relax again like you would in a actual game.

One big advise for coaching is remember you are the paying customer... if you feel that what you are being taught for a prolonged amount of time isn't helping (but of course give it time first), you have every right to tell the coach to try to find another way to teach it to you.  If they refuse, find another coach that is willing to adapt to your individual learning style.

But by all means, if you are paying to be coached, be sure what you are being taught actually translate to better in game performance against the people you compete against.  Many people who receive coaching just blindly follow what the coaches say while just spending money endlessly when their actual improvement in games have been very minimal.  Some coaches will even take advantage of that knowing that all they have to do is be a hitting partner with you for an hour and you'll give them cash for it every week.

Edited by Rack - 11/17/2012 at 9:57pm

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

multiball drilling is the best way to learn the basic skills and strokes. most people think that if you do multiball you will already become very good. however, multibal drill is but one part of several essential methods to fully develop a game. if you are starting to develop your strokes, do not focus on winning but rather on the development of correct strokes. coupled with technical table drill, service receive and doing serves, countering after you do multiball will greatly improve your game. i wil not let people tell me that multiball is not good for beginners because in the 3 years that i am doing coaching (close to 100 kids and counting) , the ones who do multiball at the start develop faster than those who don't. sure those players who were taught just how to score will win at first but kids or players who have learned the basics thru multiballing develop better game plays

yogi bear can you give me the details of drills when coaching your kids?  cant find manuals for teaching kids, how to develop forehand(the do's and donts)

bbkon, this is my general program i used for kids with variations depending on each kid's progress:

1. 1st week, 2-3 days shadowing with forehand and bh drives, ball bouncing on the paddle. i use this because its better for beginners to have a better feel of the ball first and also an introduction of the strokes using shadow only. 4-7th day i start doing multiball drills for the fh and bh drives only.
2. 2-3wks time, still incorporating shadow drills on warm up exercises and maybe adding pushes to the nultiball drills.
3. 4th week to more than a month, adding footwork drills like fh side to side half table and bh-fh drills whole table.
4. 1.5 months above, this is where i start teaching loops. i start teaching brush looping against light backspin first and then progress to looping against heavy backspin wherein they need to go down and loop the ball upwards. i usually start teaching them looping the ball late or after the ball comes down on its peak for better timing. i only use on the rise timing or off the bounce for very advanced students.
5. 2 months and above, i start teaching bh loops, same procedure as the fh loop coaching. this is where i start teaching and incorporating fh - fh table drills and bh-bh drills using one ball. also this is when i start to teach service receives.

its hard to find manuals for multiball drilling but i think tibhar has a multiball drill for kids found in youtube. also, people would argue that they have reached a level without doing multiball drills thats fine, but have they asked themselves what more could they have been if they used multiball drills and had proper coaching. people get tired of repetitive multiball drills. its normal. practicing table tennis to become very good requires repetitive actions until they become a reflex. people would criticize multiball as "that is china training its not applicable to every body yada yadda". the chinese has been doing that for ages and they have kids who have trained in that way, if it aint good why is it very effective in producing very good players? most people here in the forums who say multiball is crap or have other reasons will get owned by a school age kid in china who have practiced multiball session as part of his training. 

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 10:13pm

So the way I see it, it's the coaches job to really ask the student how much they feel they're gaining learning that way and what results are being shown in terms of actual game play.  Alot of students feel cheated being multiballed heavily when it doesn't translate alot in actual games so in reality, it feels like they paid $30+ an hour to have a glorified hitting partner.  Also it's very difficult for coaches to accurately simulate how lower level opponents play when people are first learning (i know tons of people have trouble with that). 

the problem is not on the multiball used as part of the training program. its on the coach. you can easily blame multiball training as the culprit but you fail to see the bigger picture that it is the coaches program that makes a player become good or not aside from the player himself. it is better to scrutinze the program first rather than judging it directly. 

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 10:25pm

Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Hi Big smile

I've done a few sessions since then, but those were never the "hit all forehands anywhere" training or do "100" backhands training. All multiball training that was done since then was combination training consisting of 3-7 shot combinations, where if I go with sufficient power and speed on my shots as I am supposed to in real game, the partner would have a hard time controlling the placement of the next return. So its best to mimic this specialized training with a multiball feel.

This (what you describe above) is the exactly the kind of multiball training you do as an O2000 player in Korea. Usally, the multiball drills simulate three balls in a rally that is hard for coach to duplicate with single ball drills.
There are  once you hit near 2000 USATT playing level, many single ball drills that involve a lot of combinations of strokes where you hit to the coaches middle or BH  corner and coach blocks or counters to the point in the drill. Another example is the single ball drill where coach serves short to FH, you drop short, coach pushes long to BH, you BH loop cross court, coach blocks cross court, you loop cross court to coaches BH corner, coach blocks fast down the line and you race for your life to get there and make a loop to coaches BH corner, (if you COULD get to it) coach blocks cross court, you footwork your way to the ball and make a BH drive cross court (if you were able to stay in this point after already being at or surpassing point of exhaustion from the work earlier in session) and coach keeps running you back and forth until you (or her) miss.

I agree this is the case in USA, and in Korea when players use the robot by themselves. The overwhelming majority (IMHO (crappy opinion if you like the ring of that) that there are entirely too many coaches in USA who are more focused much more on their income stream than making the player develop to perform better in competition. How many USA rich jokers shell out over $50 an hour for years and are still under 1500 USATT rating? When I visited a large national club on one of my road escapades while in USA, I did a lot of warmup with a 1300ish USATT Gent who had been taking lessons for years. His FH topspin was consistant,not overpowering, and about the only stroke he could do. if the game was centered around hitting a medium spin topspin FH to FH that looks pretty and looks way better than his true level, then he would have done alright. You give this gent any topspin back or change locations, he was in the twilight zone. That is typical of a number of peoples in USA who have a lot of $$$ to burn, and coach is ready to string that player along to milk him for all he will cough up. What makes this worse, is that some USA players admittedly are not in it to become a TT beast, but to grow a certain shot or learn how to defeat a certain enemy player.
As for robots, just about every Korean club has a robot and you RARELY see a 2000 USATT level player use one. Many use them on thier own and totally without a plan or sense of pourpose, ALWAYS without supervison as both coaches are always busy coaching. BTW, coaching in Korea is worse than a full time job. It is very physically demanding and doesn't pay all that well, at least not enough to make you rich. A foreign friend I have here can now get by and make ends meet living much the Spartan, but it more than enough to fuel his TT dream, which makes him 100X more richer than I am.
Some extreme beginners get supervised robot practice as a side tool, but the supervision is restricted to the total beginner player.

I perceive that the Koreans have a totally different way to go about things and i cannot argue against their results. They obviously have a system that produces results, but I certainly agree with you that there is always more than one way to skin a cat and get the job done effeciently.

Koreans seem to believe that just because you advanced to 1600 USATT (an average city level div 4 male player) that you get the right to train the same stuff like Ma Lin for the World Championships. They seem to spend a whole heap more time on what we USA folks consider the easy stuff way longer than we would deem important. Koreans seem to resist the urge to develop more advanced shots early. Even a lot of 1500 level USATT Korean players here have not yet been coached on things like advanced serving, looping heavy topsin vs underspin (they teach a solid impact topspin at first)

It seems they all tend to make the threshold for moving on to more complicated stuff at a much higher level than us USA folk do. 

Koreans seem to believe that one must REALLY master the easiest of stuff (demonstrated by doing it 100X in a row) beofre advancing to another simple drill and so on, until a certain performace metric is met, then move on again, etc. then finally, you get some meaningful Multiball and single ball combination drills.

I am pretty much with you that it is difficult to apply a pre-determined, "Do this or else" routine to development. I also believe that the training that is directed and setup for the player should be flexible and considerate of what the player desires to become and what level/how fast. The Koreans are usually very rigid in their system (why not? it has produced results everywhere in Korea.) yet my coach has a more American attitude towards me and has skipped over a lot of the bullcrap and got me into more of what I needed in a balance of improving short term performance and long term growth. Koreans are so keen to keep the course of long term development that the short term is un-important. I agree with that philosphy to a good degree, but see where flexiblilty would help in many cases.

I also agree that a player with a good timing on a FH heavy topspin can achieve an O1600 rating in USA without any real training. I am the poster child for that BEFORE I stepped foot in Korea. I perceive I am at much higher level than that currently as I have improved significantly, but that will remain debateable until I can make my way to the States and do several sanctioned tourneys.

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 10:30pm

Most definitely... and certain tools work for certain people and not for others.  We all as players and unique individuals know what works the best in terms of how we personally learn.  Equate it to someone in school.... some people learn best by reading and studying.... while other people can't do that well.  Some people learn well by doing and being hands on.  It's the same for TT... some people learn from actually playing the game while others learn by drills drills and more drills.

For the OP... I would recommend you ask your coach if they can multiball you a scenario for a short time (10 mins) then simulate what you were drilling in actual different full in game scenario practice points.  Keep in mind during multiball, you can be out of breath or muscles will be super tense which you will never hit in an actual in game scenario so you have to let yourself relax again like you would in a actual game.  Hehe in Korea, depending on the multiball drill, you can get properly smoked in no time flat. Even the ex-macho male soccer athletes with all their endless endurance in cardio and anerobic heavy stuff need a defibulator and two full bottles of oxygen after ten minutes of the combo multiball drills. Haha. Good call dude! And to rub the burn in sum moar, at teh end of those smoke drills, coaches criss court popup balls for you to run around and pound home for smashes. You look like a drunken Sailor trying to scramble into position to those balls running on less than fumes and even worse on your smash when you are beyond exhaustion. I still wouldn't trade away that feeling for the world, Korea is great!

One big advise for coaching is remember you are the paying customer... if you feel that what you are being taught for a prolonged amount of time isn't helping (but of course give it time first), you have every right to tell the coach to try to find another way to teach it to you.  If they refuse, find another coach that is willing to adapt to your individual learning style.

But by all means, if you are paying to be coached, be sure what you are being taught actually translate to better in game performance against the people you compete against.  Many people who receive coaching just blindly follow what the coaches say while just spending money endlessly when their actual improvement in games have been very minimal.  Some coaches will even take advantage of that knowing that all they have to do is be a hitting partner with you for an hour and you'll give them cash for it every week.

Hehe, there is entirely TOO MUCH of that in USA right now.

I got it that some players will never become serviceable TT players as they simply do not have the coordination to become even USATT 1500 by the end of their playing window of time, but many players in USA seem to fall into your original description and effectively toss their $$$ into the coaches money pit. Is that fair? YES. The coach isn't pointing a weapon at the player and carjacking his/her $$$ away.

Edited by BH-Man - 11/17/2012 at 10:47pm
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 10:35pm

Haha, some USA players are doing the same nutroll for over $70 an hour cash money in the bank. (of coach) I want to hit the "LIKE" button on Ur post dude!!!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 10:36pm
i say i cant blame him for feeling that way against because that is what happening in the US but it is not a justified reason to blame multiball drills as a culprit in making a player have a bad performance in the tournament

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2012 at 10:51pm
If a coach is using a multiball drill as another way to get the cash playing player to FEEL like he is doing something physical, even if it has ZERO bearing on his improvement, he might still be willing to keep paying coach. He can brag to friends how much he gets smoked by coach in his "Private Workout" and keep feeding the cash cow troll.

Why have I never recognized Rack's posts as being epic before, despite nearly 1000 posts???
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2012 at 12:02am
Don't get me wrong... multiball is a great tool to use so Yogi, I'm not saying that it's not a good tool or blaming it for people having poor performance because of it.

However I do believe that different people learn very differently in terms of understanding the feel of the game.  As I said, I've met people who gained immensely from multiballing while some people literally gained nothing from it yet jumped a huge amount just challenging the coach to simulate someone of a certain level in terms of gameplay/tactics.  Yet I've seen coaches not even take that into account and still keep multiballing them for 5 years plus taking their money without guilt.

Some coaches will also make multiballs easier for their students to hit by providing all the pace/power to borrow which makes it seem like they're making huge progress within the lesson but will later watch these students get destroyed by a basement player who pushes them to oblivion because nothing they did simulated such a style where the player had to generate the spin/power/pace by themselves.  Alot of coaches in the US won't give you their all unless you can bring fame to their club or the player is super serious about advancing to the upper echelon.

It's discouraging to watch coaches trying to do some crazy fast hitting multiball drills with people when the student will never face anything at that pace at the level of opponent they are targeting.

But yeah for the OP, if multiball isn't helping you much, always suggest the coach provide another way to learn... theres many different roads that can lead to the same result.  Sit down with your coach and address your concerns directly.

Edited by Rack - 11/18/2012 at 12:25am

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2012 at 12:20am
Good multiball helps almost all players, even players who "learn differently".  However, I have found that if you play matches right after multiball training, you won't be at your best, which may explain the OP's comment. 

Rack is of course correct that there has to be more to coaching than just multiball.  Some people will get more out of it than others.  Also there are limits to what you can expect.  How much you play, how much you practice, how old, how quick, how old were you when you started, what are your strengths and weaknesses, etc... And, of course, how good the coach is at giving multiball.

I know one guy who is a very effective coach who doesn't do it at all, but he specializes more on taking people with the technique they have--older players-- and helping them get more out of it.  The Chinese coaches at our club have dozens and dozens of different multiball drills and they can deliver the balls like machines.  I pay them for an hour or two whenever I am sensing that I am getting lazy, or when there is something I need to fix. 

Edited by Baal - 11/18/2012 at 12:36am
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2012 at 12:31am
Not really, I've personally known a few friends who were multiballed for years and didn't improve a bit in terms of real world match results.  All an intelligent opponent did to them was take away what they've multiballed or change a few variables which they're use to within the multiball and watch their entire game fall apart because they're too use to how balls are hit from the coach.  The inability to adapt to different styles and opponents becomes their downfall because they're use to balls a certain way, coming to specific areas, etc etc.

But yeah Baal you pretty much nailed my message right on the head... theres different ways to the same result especially if one feels multiball isn't helping much.

Again, I totally agree that multiball is a very useful tool within the toolbox of a coach but there are many tools to do the same job especially if the student isn't gaining much from it in terms of real world match results.  If OP feels he wants to work on basic strokes more and not be multiballed, the coach should be able to adapt a new method of training which gets the OP to the same result.

Edited by Rack - 11/18/2012 at 12:40am

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2012 at 12:38am

Again, I totally agree that multiball is a very useful tool within the toolbox of a coach but there are many tools to do the same job especially if the student isn't gaining much from it in terms of real world match results. 

If the coach is not really good at giving multiball, it is also of less value. It's a real skill all its own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic