FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

ittf president's policies...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

Unfortunately it is not the sport of those who just like to switch their brains off just staring at the tv and sometimes drink in the sight of short female skirts. Taking the sport in this direction i fear will make TT the Britney Spears of sports.

Now, this is the second or third time I ve seen this about the skirts and sorry for asking, but when have Adham or ITTF ever proposed such a thing? I know the girls are allowed to play in skirts, like they are in most sports, so I really can t see why Adham is to blame for this.

While I do not agree with all the changes ITTF have made lately, I still respect them and the effort they put in to make the sport better, according to their view.

Even in a forum like this, it is hard to get all members to agree, so why do we expect Adham and ITTF to come up with solutions that fits everyone?

I ve noticed very few complaints here about the frictionless ban, perhaps because people here are happy with it? Lot s of people think this is even worse then the speed glue and booster ban. So, we all feel different about the sport and how it should evolve, but I for one am happy that we have a president with such dedication to the sport so he takes time to visit forums like this, OOAK, Noppenteste and the rest of them. To me, this shows he wants to do what he thinks is best for the sport. It might not be what you and I think, but have no doubts, Adham and ITTF makes decision based on their beliefs and for this we should respect them.

Nothing wrong with letting them know that we aren t happy with their rule changes, as we are entitled to our opinion, but we could do this while still showing them respect.
The holy grail
Sponsored Links

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 12:53pm
Speedplay,
We ve had our differences, but I m with you on the respect thing.
Tzai
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

[
That s a logical fallacy.

Adam is clearly trying to make changes that make it more TV friendly.
It follows that he believes that good television coverage will help popularize the sport.

Please explain why it is a logical fallacy, and why thinking tt can be made a spectator sport is not a logical fallacy.

It hasn t been a popular spectator sport since tv has brought better spectator sports into the public eye, and has not fallen in popularity simply because of 3rd ball kills.
YEO

Boost TP
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 2:57pm
It s boring to watch.
Sorry, it s true.
I can barely get my family to watch 1-minute of me playing live and I m freakin exciting. :-). LOL.
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 3:17pm
soccer is exciting? to watch guys kick a ball to each other for an hour. 

i think it is incredibly boring unless there are 2 very attacking teams.

tommy
Every sport is boring to watch, I can t watch cricket, rugby league just some gorillas running and smashing into each other, oh how about world champion snooker?   now theres a sport ive watched a few time to try to understand spin....

The only thing that makes tennis, football etc popular is size!

SIZE  big big big bgi big big big big big big bgibgigbibgi gbgi ggiggbgi igbigigb HHHHHHUGE

we play on  a                                                    TABLE

it is tooo small to be interesting for your eyes

that is the end of the story.

consequently, If it will never be a sport for the masses to watch, lets make it a sport for the players,

ittf president is not for players, he is for spectators
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 9:46pm
Ping Pong will only be viewed by players.
So, to increase the viewing popularity, we need to increase the number of players.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by sprite sprite wrote:

Please explain why it is a logical fallacy, and why thinking tt can be made a spectator sport is not a logical fallacy.

It s disenginious to argue that because TT is currently not a spectator sport that it cannot be a spectator sport.

TT has already been a vastly more popular sport in the US. During the depression and through the hardbat era, TT was embraced by the US, with much more activity in clubs and much more national attention.

In the past, TT was one of those bedeviling "easy to learn, difficult to master" games that drew people in and created local rivalries. It certainly didn t hurt that equipment costs (and the resulting performance difference between low end and high end equipment) was marginal.

It was also much more comprehensible to the average viewer.

It hasn t been a popular spectator sport since tv has brought better spectator sports into the public eye, and has not fallen in popularity simply because of 3rd ball kills.

The lack of drama associated with third ball kills, short rallies, and unforced errors certainly helped cause TT s decline. In all, it s probable that increase in the complexity of spin and the increase in the pace of the game may have had a lot to do with the falloff in spectatorship from the game s peak.

I don t disagree that people have found other, more dramatic sports to watch. People don t watch NASCAR to watch drivers turn left, they watch for the rivalries and the potential crashes. Drama and competition make sport palatable to spectators.

Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

soccer is exciting? to watch guys kick a ball to each other for an hour. 

i think it is incredibly boring unless there are 2 very attacking teams.

The majority of the world (spectators) would disagree. Soccer is accessible, because everyone has played it at some point (because a ball and a field are cheap, so no barrier to entry there, and it s played throughout school ages, so again no barrier.

Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

Ping Pong will only be viewed by players.
So, to increase the viewing popularity, we need to increase the number of players.

Umm. By sheer number of players (thank you asia) TT is ALREADY the 2nd most played sport worldwide.

So adding players isn t the fix; it hasn t worked so far.

What the ITTF would like to do is translate that large playerbase into a commensurate spectatorbase (hello $$$). And what they need to do is establish greater public appeal in devleoped Western nations who, by virtue of distributed networks (tv, internet, etc.) and disposable income are a broad untapped revenue source for the ITTF and TT Manufacturerers... And Adam realizes that.

p.s.
There are reasons that major league baseball uses wood bats and not composites...
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 10:43pm
I see exactly what he is talking about, and looks like a somewhat reasonable strategy for popularizing the sport, until.....

Until I think about golf. Like George Carlin once said, "I d rather watch flies f***, than to watch golf". Meanwhile, golf has been getting more coverage all over the world. My question is why? Because there is money in it!!! There are always games for lots of $$$ and in table tennis, we ll be happy to win our entry fees back.

I would want ITTF to start investing into TV coverage without making excuses for how "boring" the game is. It may be boring to watch, but only for full contact loving USA beer belly fan. True athlete will appreciate the sport.

To prove my point, look back to the olympics. Yes, it was nice that we could access some events with NBC online, but only the finals of the TT competition were shown. A mere hour from a 10 day game period. Speakin g of excellent coverage....

What time if not olympics would it be best to showcast the sport and maybe do an introduction into the training, spin, and speed and the profiles of the best 5-10 players or so. This time would be perfect people are already glued to the tv.... but I guess we can t expect logic to be the drive around popularizing table tennis. Instead of changing the coverage and educating people, we change our game, ourselves, and our equipment.

Bull Crap!!!
Back to table tennis...
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 11:08pm
"It s disenginious to argue that because TT is currently not a spectator sport that it cannot be a spectator sport."

No more disingenuous than to argue that rule changes will increase the popularity of tt.

Anyway, that is not my argument, and it is disingenuous to say that it is, just as it is disingenuous to argue that it is 3rd ball kills and short rallies that have led to tt s lack of popularity. Further, the rule changes have not done much to lead to longer rallies for the Chinese, just for players like Boll who had no power to begin with. Wang Hao and Ma Lim are ending rallies quickly enough, Wang Hao s fh is better than ever. The powerless are just weaker now when facing the power players. Whoopee!

My argument is that tt was only popular to spectators when there was a poverty of choices, and that as soon as a larger menu to select from was available tt quickly bid adieu.
When ESPN first began broadcasting racquetball and Australian Rules Football dominated their air waves. What happened to these sports?   Why doesn t ESPN show them? As soon as ESPN acquired the rights to more popular sporting events these 2 went into the trash as quickly as used Huggies. It wasn t the advent of the 3rd ball attack that sent handball to the showers, it was the availability of something better.

TT as a spectator sport for the non-player ranks somewhere above watching water boil and somewhere below taking a nap and dreaming of what will never be.

Would you mind stating your playing level, and more importantly your style and strengths, so that I might more clearly assess your tt biases?

"p.s.
There are reasons that major league baseball uses wood bats and not composites..."

Yeah, there is. They would be forced to change the baseball, AGAIN!

LOL
YEO

Boost TP
jtl_koreanpride View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtl_koreanpride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2009 at 12:01am
Its not worth half an hour of ur life time watching it
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2009 at 3:35am

http://cid-24f6379bfb938a54.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/table%20tennis/dansmashed.wmv

I have decided to accept the presidents position and have made a more internet/tv friendly version of me playing table tennis. 

My back is turned to the camera.  A good player never shows his face.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2009 at 6:12am
those fireballs are awesome!
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2009 at 6:31am
Originally posted by theman theman wrote:

those fireballs are awesome!

+1 xD

those slow mo fireballs are kooool!
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2009 at 3:49pm
thanks guys, it takes quite a lot of time to work out how to get to that stage.  Now that Im more technically savy with the 20 programs i just tried i know i can do it quicker.  I should really post that elsewhere
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2009 at 3:59pm
I just saw the video. Great!
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
redbull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redbull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 5:46pm
First of all what I d like to say is that in my opinion Adam Sharara is a jew (usually jews or descendents are named David, Adam, Abraham, Ariel). An egyptian would have a slightly different accent, and of course a different name. Here s a link with egyptian names :
http://www.20000-names.com/male_egyptian_names.htm

I believe that table tennis is evolving/degrading alltogether with the rest of the world.

If we want change and want our opinions to be taken in consideration we should organise rallies in many countries to express our opinions, of course these could fail(like the anti Iraq war demonstrations did). Of course the meaning of the top players should be taken into consideration, but don t forget, that if they are against what s happening others will come instead.
My opinion is the sofar the changes are good, especially the speed glue ban, but I can t say the same thing about 38->40 mm ball change.
Blade: Donic Waldner Dicon

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 5:59pm
Why does it matter if Adham is Jew, Egyptian, Mesopotamian, Canadian, or Vulcan? SELF EDITED!!!

Let s stay away from Race, Religion, etc. We re about table tennis here!
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 6:01pm
I don t see how Adham s racial/religious background has any relevance to this discussions, and I strongly feel we should stop discussing this, as it often leads to racial/religious slurring...

EDIT: Well said Tommy, we posted at the same time, but tommyzai is too quick for meBig%20smileLOL
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I don t see how Adham s racial/religious background has any relevance to this discussions, and I strongly feel we should stop discussing this, as it often leads to racial/religious slurring...

HAGGISV, I m with you 100% and strongly feel we should have ZERO tolerance in this area. We re a table tennis forum. I ll be the first to fess-up and admit that I ve crossed the line a zillion times with absurd comments, but bringing race into the mix is BU HAO!! Let s at least keep it about the game and not about the name. That would be a shame, and that s lame. So, who s to blame?
ibupro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibupro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 6:16pm
Just saying someone might be Jew rather than Egyptian does not does not make them a hater.  Why is the mere mention of race immediately tied to hatred? 

Is it alright to hate those who are made out to be haters?

We tolerate anything except intolerance?  I will stomp you into the ground if you do not share my world view?

The guy is comparing the rules of tt and war protests and saying some changes are good while others are bad.  More clarification is needed, where this guy is going is not yet certain.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

EDIT: Well said Tommy, we posted at the same time, but tommyzai is too quick for meBig%20smileLOL

I don t think redbull meant anything racial by it (and I hope he didn t) - discussion on Adham s origin started at the beginning of the thread, and he simply commented (probably being an expert, or being from Middle East himself) that Adham is not an Egyptian but rather Jewish name. Let s not bring any more unneeded attention to this issue...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by ibupro ibupro wrote:

Just saying someone might be Jew rather than Egyptian does not does not make them a hater.  Why is the mere mention of race immediately tied to hatred? 

I do however agree that this line of discussion seems to be rather irrelevant and therefore there seems to be no need to make a comment about someone being Jewish. Unless you think that your life must be devoted to going around the world and pointing finger at people and saying "look at this man! he is Jewish" or " huh-huh, that guy is so short!" etc.

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 6:23pm
Well, I apologize to Redbull if he didn t mean anything by his comment and I jumped all over him. I m not saying he s a hater, but it sure looks like we have many on this site who are. I m becoming a hater of the haters. I just don t think it matters what Adham is and shouldn t be confused with the BIGGER issue . . . What s up with the rule changes?

Please accept my apology if I fueled the fire. My only defense is . . . I didn t light it. :-).
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 6:26pm
Didn t we have this discussion many times before during the last year?

I don t see any new ideas and arguments here... how about we drop this until some new info comes to light?

ibupro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibupro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 6:28pm
I wonder why those who have replied with condemnation of the statement have made a bigger deal of it that the original poster did.  Very reactionary.

Mods talking about buying a plane ticket to "discuss" the issue is more provocative and central to the concerns of this forum, imo. 
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by ibupro ibupro wrote:

I wonder why those who have replied with condemnation of the statement have made a bigger deal of it that the original poster did.  Very reactionary.

Mods talking about buying a plane ticket to "discuss" the issue is more provocative and central to the concerns of this forum, imo. 

Hey, where do you live? LOL
ibupro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibupro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 6:32pm

. . . I didn t light it. :-).

But you threw fuel on the fire, not very mod like. 

Brotherhood, community etc.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 6:36pm
Well, I already apologized and edited my initial response, but if you d like to keep this rolling downhill . . .

I think it s better to jump all over the first sign of potential slur than do nothing.

The reason Adham does not visit and post here anymore is because of this kind of nonsense. He s still on that German forum and OOAK forum. Why? Because they treat him with respect even if they disagree with him. Look what he gets on here from us (me included sadly) . . . ittf president *$%^& and in my opinion Adam Sharara is a jew.
Would you post up here if you were him?
The world is falling apart. I think it s time for us to be part of the solution instead of the problem. And, if you want to reference my continued humorous threats of buying plane tickets to "talk" about problems . . . YIKES!!!!
ibupro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibupro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 6:37pm

Hey, where do you live? LOL

I m not telling.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 6:38pm
Well, I already apologized and edited my initial response, but if you d like to keep this rolling downhill . . .

I think it s better to jump all over the first sign of potential slur than do nothing.

The reason Adham does not visit and post here anymore is because of this kind of nonsense. He s still on that German forum and OOAK forum. Why? Because they treat him with respect even if they disagree with him. Look what he gets on here from us (me included sadly) . . . ittf president *$%^& and in my opinion Adam Sharara is a jew.
Would you post up here if you were him?
The world is falling apart. I think it s time for us to be part of the solution instead of the problem. And, if you want to reference my continued humorous threats of buying plane tickets to "talk" about problems . . . at least I d be helping to stimulate the economy. I buy a ticket, rent a car and hotel, visit another member, we both pay hospital expenses, I put up bail money, get a lawyer, pay court fees, etc.
Can t you see I m doing what I can to help bail us out?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic