Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

J.O. Shape

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J.O. Shape
    Posted: 01/15/2011 at 4:43pm
Does anyone have a J.O. shape blade (from Donic, Nittaku or Banda) that they'd be willing to part with? I'm working on some new head shapes and I'd like to have one of those blades for template use.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
FH: H3 No. 21
BH:Spectol
Sponsored Links

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2011 at 5:01pm
And what makes you think J.O have a special shape on the head of his blades? I honestl thinks he uses the standars shape of the blade, but I might be wrong.
The holy grail
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2011 at 5:12pm
There are certain blades that were manufactured (and he used them) that had a particular shape (rather eggy). An example would be the first-generation Donic Waldner Dicon (I believe this was the last blade Donic manufactured with the J.O. shape, eventually they changed the shape to there standard).

Here is a visual example - This first blade is the J.O. Shape -

This second blade is the regular Donic Shape.

Edited by ianworz - 01/18/2011 at 8:46pm
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2011 at 8:48am
Originally posted by ianworz ianworz wrote:

Does anyone have a J.O. shape blade (from Donic, Nittaku or Banda) that they'd be willing to part with? I'm working on some new head shapes and I'd like to have one of those blades for template use.

great idea. the Jo Shape has a very small neck, which is nice I think.
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2011 at 4:05pm
Anyone able to help out here? I'd be as grateful as a dog with a hog bone to buy someone's old dicon.

Edited by ianworz - 01/16/2011 at 4:07pm
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2011 at 2:30pm
Even a tracing of the shape would be terrifically helpful, that is, if everyone wants to hold on to their J.O. shaped blades.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2011 at 2:51pm
Looking at that shape it makes me think that the extra area (width) at the bottom corner would give you easier contact and more blade speed (generating more ball spin) when doing the Fh pendulum side-top or the reverse Fh pendulum side-under type of serve that uses that part of the blade. 

Do you think my observation has any merit?

Mark
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2011 at 3:02pm
Mark,

I don't think the J.O. shape would have any advantage over the other pictured blade in service. The reason for my judgement is that they have about the same width from mid-head to handle, the only difference is an "egging in" of the top of the head, and perhaps a few millimeters of extended length.

But your suggestion certainly warrants consideration in terms of prototyping a blade with focus on service.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2011 at 4:48pm
The bevel on the Dicon is rather large and the throat/wings also merge with the handle much higher up on the handle, relative to the typical blade from any manufacturer. Are these features specific to the JO shape as well? I'm thinking a rather deep grip is required.
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2011 at 7:43pm
The wing design does seem to be specific to the J.O. shape, I don't believe I've seen any other blade shape with that deep of a grip. What do you mean by bevel?
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2011 at 8:25pm
I need to learn my blade terminology.

I'm referring to the top of the handle where you rest your thumb. What's that called?

If you scale a picture of the blade in top view so the blade is approximately actual size, will that work as a template for your tracing?

Edited by racquetsforsale - 01/18/2011 at 8:30pm
pongfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2011 at 8:36pm
If a tracing will do, why don't you just print out the image?
Timo Boll ZLF
T05
Sriver Fx
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2011 at 8:48pm

Haha, I'm not sure of the proper terminology of that bit either. I think thumb bevel is descriptive enough without being rant-y. 
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2011 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by pongfan pongfan wrote:

If a tracing will do, why don't you just print out the image?

I'd prefer to have one of the blades over a tracing and I find it rather difficult to find a direct over-view of blades on the internet = pixelation etc.

Basically, the more pure the source, the more accurate it's replication.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2011 at 9:57pm
ianworz, try pingpongonline.com. i think they still have the egg shaped dicons there
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2011 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

ianworz, try pingpongonline.com. i think they still have the egg shaped dicons there

Thanks Yogi!

But still, if anyone has one they'd part with...
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 2:49pm
Can I have a mod move this to the trade section? I'm an idiot for posting it in general topics.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 11:00am
bump
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 7:12pm
I have a Donic Waldner Offensiv, but it was a gift from a friend. It's quite old and in the odd shape. 
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 9:40pm
Not willing to part with it? I'd do a trade for a custom blade to your specs.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
spidey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spidey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 5:10am
i have one for sale.

check this out:
http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39664&title=fs-donic-jo-waldner-dicon-st

ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 8:12am
I saw that spidey, unfortunately yours is one of the later modeals and has the standard donic head shape as opposed to the J.O. Shape.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
SADASAS48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SADASAS48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2011 at 11:59am

Hello!

Could someone tell me the dimensions of the head of J-O Waldner blade shape (from Donic, or Nittaku Banda) called rather eggy?.  

(For Example - BTY Peter Korbel   HEAD DIMENSIONS =  159 x 151mm)
Head Dimensions   159 x 151 mm

Thanks a Lot!

Christian (From BRAZIL)
BLADE: Peter Korbel FL(BTY)
RUBBERS: CORNILLEAU Pilot Power 2.2mm (BH)/ Pilot Advance 2.2mm(FH)
tt_maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt_maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2011 at 1:12pm
I have a friend who has several of these originals and one custom made by Donic.(one is a Nittaku Manchester model) I can ask him for a tracing of the blades if you are interested and mail them to you. I know he'll never part with the blades.
SADASAS48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SADASAS48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2011 at 8:11am
Hello, tt_maniac!

I really appreciate your help because the design of this wood is very beautiful and functional! You can send me an e-mail, if you prefer!  [email protected]

Thanks a Lot!

Christian
BLADE: Peter Korbel FL(BTY)
RUBBERS: CORNILLEAU Pilot Power 2.2mm (BH)/ Pilot Advance 2.2mm(FH)
Lalo. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lalo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2013 at 5:40pm
somebody knows the exact dimensions of Waldner Senso Carbon JO-Shape? i have a Dicon egg-shape and is 157x148, i was wondering if WSC has the same size or is a little bigger than old Dicon.

thank you!
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2013 at 1:31am
I just bought a JO-shaped Dicon.  I believe it is slightly different than my JO-shaped WSC.  I have a few Bandas and an old Donic Waldner (all JO-shaped) -- almost all of which have slight differences in the head shape, but all are definitely egg-shaped.  
(I'll take some measurements and et back to you on this.  I'm not at home at the moment).
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2013 at 4:49am
tabletennis11.com is currently selling various jo shaped blades!
Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2013 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Thomasson Thomasson wrote:

tabletennis11.com is currently selling various jo shaped blades!

yes, thank goodness! :)

i bought 3 WSC JO ST's yesterday, and I noted they had 47 left

now down to 37
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Lalo. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lalo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2013 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by king_pong king_pong wrote:

I just bought a JO-shaped Dicon.  I believe it is slightly different than my JO-shaped WSC.  I have a few Bandas and an old Donic Waldner (all JO-shaped) -- almost all of which have slight differences in the head shape, but all are definitely egg-shaped.  
(I'll take some measurements and et back to you on this.  I'm not at home at the moment).

thank you very much, i'll wait for the results of the measurements! Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic