Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jim Butler vs Kunal Chodri (2014 Nationals final)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jim Butler vs Kunal Chodri (2014 Nationals final)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2014 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by TTFrenzy TTFrenzy wrote:

Guys everyone is entitled to an opinion. My "high level" player standards maybe much lower or higher than your standards its only a matter of perspective. 

If a top100 player see this match he would probably say I can destroy those guys without even thinking tactics their level is low. Obviously he is judging from his own personal perspective and that is not insulting.

I play in 2nd division league in Thessaloniki, Greece (its the lowest league lol , my team cant relegate any lower even if we wanted to) and I play against players that can easily stand in A1 division league (highest league) and against players that are so lousy they should not compete (again this is my personal opinion only)

Everything is a matter of perspective. I see many people give too much attention on the ranking lists and points. Rankings are just an indication! They cant depict the true capabilities of a player

There are some (at least they are very few) players in Greece that reached even top 80 just because they selected to play only easy matches against weaker opponents and brag about their ranking list. 

There are also youngsters ranked #400 that can destroy those players but they didnt have the chance to do so and they cant climb the rankings easily because they only play 6-7 matches per year only. 

Last year there was a tournament for all northern greece held in thessaloniki. 50 high level players enlisted themselves because there was a small prize money. Those "top80" players didnt even show up cause they knew they were just going to lose their participation money, getting sodomized by everyone really bad.

I hope you get my point :)

Everyone is entitled to opinions, including stupid ones. How often have we seen people watch a guy with long pips or anti and wonder why his game is effective, then get destroyed by him at the table? But his rating was high, even if hos game looked unimpressive.

A rating combines public information. Like stock price, it can be wrong, but it contains information. It is better than watching one match and saying that the players are low level. And I don't mind Greek top 20 saying the match is not
top 200 quality, though ITTF rankings will tell you that. What I don't like is his assumption that he knows enough about USA to talk about our table tennis and that it needs to be fixed.

He should know better than to judge players from one match. There was a woman who came to one of our tournaments (NA Teams). She was a penholder and coach. Her team wanted to use her to get high seed but when she was rated on video, they said she pushes too much and should be rated 1900. That woman went undefeated and came out 2300+. He beat a 2300 player 3-0. In all her matches, she was bored.

Anyone can look at video and say that this player is this or that. But when you actually play them, you see another side of their game which the opponent suppressed.

No one is saying that this is top 200 ITTF or high level. But to compare these players with all the info on them to #1000 in France is just stupid. Any player who has competed in ranked tournaments should know better. The game might look slow, but it doesn't mean that there are no reasons for this. This is the first time they are playing each other and I am sure I'd the match is repeated, at least one player will play differently.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2014 at 7:44pm
I dont think he judged by pointing fingers or calling them noobs. He obviously expected that the US mens final will have much better players. The reason for the game being slow most of the times was because they were both afraid to make a mistake even on easy balls (again my perspective) , especially kunal chodri just kept slow looping onto the table and most of the times Butler took advantage of that when he was 100% sure he could finish the point.

All in all what I saw is 2 players in the final that wouldnt even be there if all the top usa players competed. Nothing insulting about that. Dont get me wrong but I think its quite funny that some people got "offended" and started praising USA tt thinking that we want to downgrade it. I actually dont give a f**k if greek or usatt or french TT is good or bad i just enjoy the game. Some users even recalled butler winning over waldner in a friendly tournament, isnt that stupid? :O

Personally for a usa final I expected much more, and I dont mean in terms of spectacle. I have seen for hours many top players of usa thats why I understand why malin87 described them as "low level"

Edited by TTFrenzy - 12/26/2014 at 7:45pm
my TT blog!

Join & follow my TT blog ! Mental and Physi
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2014 at 8:07pm
TTFrenzy,

Butler beat Waldner in the Swedish league. Not friendly match.

Like I explained, the air in Vegas is thin and makes the ball travel fast. The new ball is slower as well. All the top US citizens competed with the exception of the over 50s and Adam Hugh, so maybe you want the foreign nationals to compete as well.

US talent was mostly foreigners with a few exceptions after the 90s until the ITTF changed rules on what tournaments one can compete in and upto what age you can play in ITTF major events while changing nationality. So now, the US has to develop its own talent. It will take a while but having Kanak in semis last year and Kunal this year and noting that neither made the junior boys team gives you an idea of bow much the pool is growing. Of course, whether they will still play after they are college age is the big question.

Both players were likely extremely nervous - Kunal having a chance to be the youngest US champion in a full event anud to change his life narrative and Butler getting back to the top of the US after his retirement and comeback. But like I said. The quality of the match itself is no reason to start making ridiculous statements about how strong these players are.

Some of our top juniors also made fun of these matches including the Butler semifinal. None of them went so far as to say that these are 2100 players because they obviously know much better.
Cybershape Carbon
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2014 at 11:36pm
Las Vegas Nevada

Humidity levels - December 20 2014

12-6 pm - 53%

6-11 pm - 64%
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
takethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 12:24pm
This is a conversation w/o conclusion, don't  forget some guy from Africa starts beating Chinese players. What?.
Anyway, the kid played an excellent match, I think I noticed that Butler kept the game on the backhand, where he was superior. Kid's coach should have noticed that. just sayin
sharkcard
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by takethat takethat wrote:

This is a conversation w/o conclusion, don't  forget some guy from Africa starts beating Chinese players. What?.
Anyway, the kid played an excellent match, I think I noticed that Butler kept the game on the backhand, where he was superior. Kid's coach should have noticed that. just sayin

Kunal has a good backhand as well.  Sometimes, it is hard to go away from your opponent's strength when it is your strength (speaking from experience here).
Cybershape Carbon
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 12:57pm
Kunal has good backhand in general but not as near as explosive or accurate as  Butler's . So during the game it was a weakness not a strong weapon. FH to FH kunal was faster and more consitent, butler couldnt countertopspin FH to FH  so he blocked most of the times. Kunal didnt take advantage of it
my TT blog!

Join & follow my TT blog ! Mental and Physi
takethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 2:43pm
I saw a match when Ma Long was coming up, against Persson,  Swede took the game to the backhand, beat the crap out of Ma. At the end of the game the coach instructed Ma, go forehand or die (don't know chinese ,but good at signing) He did, and won .Don't play their strength, play yours (if you can)
sharkcard
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 2:47pm

I saw a match when Ma Long was coming up, against Persson,  Swede took the game to the backhand, beat the crap out of Ma. At the end of the game the coach instructed Ma, go forehand or die (don't know chinese ,but good at signing) He did, and won .Don't play their strength, play yours (if you can)
Approximately, what year was that?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
takethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 3:15pm
If I could remember that I would be working for Google, i'll check though
sharkcard
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Both players were likely extremely nervous - Kunal having a chance to be the youngest US champion in a full event anud to change his life narrative and Butler getting back to the top of the US after his retirement and comeback.

Kunal would have been the youngest US men's singles champion, period. A couple of months younger than Michael Landers when he won in 2009.
takethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 3:28pm
guessing here,Super league 2012, shows adjusting 101
sharkcard
qiqiyan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qiqiyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 4:11pm
I know that only 1% of Jimmy's success was due to equipment, but an EJ has to ask...
what blade and FH/BH rubbers does he use?
sorry if I missed the answer in some other posts.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 4:28pm
Juic Stellan Bengtsson Alpfa FL with grip tape at the moment. The one he uses is faster than some others i have seen. It is a carbon kevlar blade. His is at least as fast as my Viscera. Jim is not an EJ. In his earlier days he used Stiga stuff and also an old Asti blade which is Blades By Charlie earlier incarnation.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 6:46pm

I think Kunal choked - he had the lead going into the change over and he started playing safe. He was not ready to take the win - he wanted it handed to him.

I was wondering why he had Chinese coach and not Stefan Feth. I don't know how long that coach has been in the US, but I think the Chinese coaching mentality is different from Western coaching style. Not sure if effective for kids born in the west.

Edited by jrscatman - 12/27/2014 at 6:47pm
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
takethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 6:49pm
here is some free advice." No one cares"Equipment, coaching, one milli second after the last point,it is gone forgotten,unless, world championship,etc.throw everything you have into the match, let them take you out on a stretcher, for you like me it is only table tennis match
sharkcard
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 7:02pm

here is some free advice." No one cares"Equipment, coaching, one milli second after the last point,it is gone forgotten,unless, world championship,etc.throw everything you have into the match, let them take you out on a stretcher, for you like me it is only table tennis match
I want your opinion on Arnold's strategy on winning: 
Butterfly MPS
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Juic Stellan Bengtsson Alpfa FL with grip tape at the moment. The one he uses is faster than some others i have seen. It is a carbon kevlar blade. His is at least as fast as my Viscera. Jim is not an EJ. In his earlier days he used Stiga stuff and also an old Asti blade which is Blades By Charlie earlier incarnation.

And T05FX rubbers, right?
Cybershape Carbon
takethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 7:33pm
stephan coaches at the other club,in San Jose, Top Spin, I am sure the kid plays in the Indian club in San Jose
sharkcard
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 7:49pm

stephan coaches at the other club,in San Jose, Top Spin, I am sure the kid plays in the Indian club in San Jose
No Chodri is with Feth's club. The chinese coach was a former world champion in something or other.
Butterfly MPS
takethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 8:07pm
i am such a racist,feth should have coached him then,though feth's club is filled with old chinese champions
sharkcard
takethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 9:41pm
sub text of Arnold is me me, as it should be , he is right,  its you and your racket. Schlager, after the 2003 worlds, was asked if he knew he was one point from losing. He said NO, he plays one point at a time,that's self focus . He was asked why does he stare down the opponent,  before he serves , he said, let them think you have a plan,me me me.
sharkcard
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 9:54pm

sub text of Arnold is me me, as it should be , he is right,  its you and your racket. Schlager, after the 2003 worlds, was asked if he knew he was one point from losing. He said NO, he plays one point at a time,that's self focus . He was asked why does he stare down the opponent,  before he serves , he said, let them think you have a plan,me me me.
Oh yeah, Schalager does stare down his opponents - he was doing that to those kids from China - when they were playing here. I remember seeing it - thought it strange - since it was only an exhibition match. He was joking around with everyone after the match - but during the match he was all business. I think couple of them beat him - but not sure.
Butterfly MPS
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 10:37pm
Will leave this here:

link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJA3vFkfLk

Edited by viva - 12/28/2014 at 12:09am
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2014 at 12:01am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

I was wondering why he had Chinese coach and not Stefan Feth. I don't know how long that coach has been in the US, but I think the Chinese coaching mentality is different from Western coaching style. Not sure if effective for kids born in the west.

Li Zhenshi has been in the US for over 20 years - still not "American" enough? He actually coached the US team with Jim Butler back in 1995 when they beat France.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2014 at 2:02am
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Li Zhenshi has been in the US for over 20 years - still not "American" enough? He actually coached the US team with Jim Butler back in 1995 when they beat France.
Well then it would be hard to blame the loss on the coach. He knew both players in the match. So would have had a good game plan. 
Butterfly MPS
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2014 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by viva viva wrote:

Will leave this here:

link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJA3vFkfLk
Thanks, viva. I watched it all great video, and a great American story. Kudos to Jim for coming back !
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
TTLearner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTLearner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2014 at 12:17am
My personal opinion is that Jim Butler is the smartest player in this tournament.  The slow pace is what he wants in his matches against a junior.   Why would you want to play in high speed with a junior ?  Aren't you asking for trouble by using speed as your weapon ?  Instead, he carefully use placement and manipulation of spins to overcome Kunal.   Unfortunately, Kunal did not realize this strategy at all.  Jim uses his brain and experience to win the match !!!  He use a different strategy to beat Mark Hazinski.  All in all, it is all in his control and his strength to beat both of them.   For other opponents, he will be using his other trick in his bag to try to win.    These 2 matches in the semi and final work great for him.  
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2014 at 9:30am
That was an amazing tribute to Jimmy Butler. I lived in Houston from '84 to '88 and I used to play against Kenny Owens and his son Eric. Kenny was always massaging someone on the sidelines and I am just impressed with how he was able to help Jimmy.
I also worked at the World Cup in Atlanta and saw Jimmy beat those European players and was really amazed at how well he played. I knew Jimmy kept battling injuries and I'm so glad to see he overcame them and is back. After watching him play several matches recently there is no way he's just a 2500 player. He's probably playing somewhere around 2650 give or take 25 pts.
Congrats again Jimmy.

Edited by AcudaDave - 12/29/2014 at 10:05am
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2014 at 10:50am
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

That was an amazing tribute to Jimmy Butler. I lived in Houston from '84 to '88 and I used to play against Kenny Owens and his son Eric. Kenny was always massaging someone on the sidelines and I am just impressed with how he was able to help Jimmy.
I also worked at the World Cup in Atlanta and saw Jimmy beat those European players and was really amazed at how well he played. I knew Jimmy kept battling injuries and I'm so glad to see he overcame them and is back. After watching him play several matches recently there is no way he's just a 2500 player. He's probably playing somewhere around 2650 give or take 25 pts.
Congrats again Jimmy.

When you write things like that and Jim barely beats Kunal, it makes people like Malin87 appropriately shake his head.  Jim can occasionally beat players that high, but regularly, no.  A true 2650 player would dominate Nationals, not barely win it.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/29/2014 at 10:54am
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic