Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ma Long Backhand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ma Long Backhand
    Posted: 11/24/2018 at 3:32pm
I´ve noticed Ma Long has a particular backhand motion, mostly when he exchanges topspins.
He just throws both arms forward. I didn´t see another player with same kind of stroke.
So, I tried it in this morning training and to my surprise my consistency increased a lot. I missed very few balls compared to normal BH I used to use (free arm to my sideback, or hand in the hip, and racket arm forward).
Disadvantage is I lost power because I must keep legs parallel and there´s no weight transfer. And it´s also an "ugly" stroke, but it´s OK to me since I do not miss easy balls anymore.
Sponsored Links

chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2018 at 4:48pm
Interesting finding. He likes to put his left hand forward when he's ready to hit a BH shot. He's been doing that since early in his career. His recent change in BH stroke is to hit the ball much earlier and put his weight forward more. Not sure if it's related to his tacky BH rubber.

If it works for you, congrats.

Edited by chroot - 11/24/2018 at 4:51pm
BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
Tyler45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2018 at 12:23am
Putting both hands in the area where you are performing an action greatly helps with hand eye coordination as the brain has two reference points to judge distance and position.
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2018 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I´ve noticed Ma Long has a particular backhand motion, mostly when he exchanges topspins.
He just throws both arms forward. I didn´t see another player with same kind of stroke.
So, I tried it in this morning training and to my surprise my consistency increased a lot. I missed very few balls compared to normal BH I used to use (free arm to my sideback, or hand in the hip, and racket arm forward).
Disadvantage is I lost power because I must keep legs parallel and there´s no weight transfer. And it´s also an "ugly" stroke, but it´s OK to me since I do not miss easy balls anymore.
Great observation! I find this works for me too. I also noticed that ML at times throws his hips forward to achieve more power. Look at the 2 min mark in this training video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqe0TgeIoYM

Edited by hleett - 11/25/2018 at 3:23pm
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2018 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Tyler45 Tyler45 wrote:

Putting both hands in the area where you are performing an action greatly helps with hand eye coordination as the brain has two reference points to judge distance and position.
Throwing both arms forward help to keep my upper body inclined forward. I believe this is the main advantage, at least for me.
With the motion I used to use before, I usually missed many balls, and I mean really missed, bat not contacting ball. It happened when I was opening the topspin. The reason is I did not keep upper body inclined forward but backward, or "falling" backward.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2018 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by hleett hleett wrote:

Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Great observation! I find this works for me too. I also noticed that ML at times throws his hips forward to achieve more power. Look at the 2 min mark in this training video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqe0TgeIoYM
Good tip, but this is Ma Long... He has so much power and is capable of transferring weight in ways I could only dream about... Big smile
For now I decided to only acquire consistency with this motion until it becomes a muscular memory. Then I will look for more power.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic