Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matches from Rural Japan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matches from Rural Japan
    Posted: 09/19/2016 at 9:19pm
So, I live in a rural part of Japan, but even then we get a lot of table tennis action. This was a local tournament in my city. The level was pretty high, in my opinion. Especially considering where I live. I took quite a lot of videos.

Here is one of my club mates playing against an old guy. It was the top 16 match. Winner advances to the top 8. Here is the last set (the whole set, you can't see the score easily though, sorry). It was 2-2, the final set.  Here's the whole match.

Let me know what you think. I'm curious what rating you guys would rate these players, too. I know there's a lot of controversy around this question, but let's just have fun with it. I can tell you more about them later, if you want to know.

I know it's a little long for a single set, but there are a lot of really cool rallies mixed in. Please enjoy!

If you would like more videos, let me know. There were like 30 juniors (elementary school kids) participating at the tournament, too. Most of them beat the senior high school kids as well. Very high level for their age! A lot of them I would lose to, I think.

Edited by mickd - 09/20/2016 at 7:54pm
Sponsored Links

pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2016 at 9:33pm
2200+ as a wild guess?
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2016 at 9:40pm
Japan as we all know has a very good TT system in place, schools, clubs, leagues ....the average Japanese player should be better than the average American player but not as good as the average Canadian player, don't let out national team fool you LOLTongue

North American chair umpires are also much larger WinkLOL
We also do not spend that much on clothing including shoes, last years sneakers  and dollar store sports uniform is a norm and will do in any event.

yes, please share as many videos as you can....it's always great to see what's happening in the other TT Hoods Thumbs Up

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 09/19/2016 at 9:46pm
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2016 at 10:25pm
Haha, yeah. There was another game where the umpire I'm pretty sure was still in preschool. Maybe the first grade of elementary school at most. His mum was standing behind him the whole time. He seemed to have no problems with the points, too. He was also participating, and took at least a few points off some of the better middle school kids. I didn't get a chance to record that (since I was recording another match).

Yeah, people here all dress up in uniform. I'm one of the only ones who only wear regular Adidas stuff. Maybe it's just me, but I find the table tennis uniforms supppppperrrrr ugly. 

I'll post a few more. I'm at work at the moment using a pocket wifi. There's a typhoon passing by at the moment, so no classes. All students are at home. Us teachers though, still have to come in!!
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2016 at 10:26pm
About USATT 2000-2100.

Yes, please share with us more videos.
skip3119
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2016 at 10:33pm
Just wondering, what's the most popular setup in Japanese leagues? Korbel? TBS? Tenergy both sides?
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2016 at 10:41pm
Yeah i'm guessing 2100.

Entertaining to watch for sure. Please keep uploading. I'll sub to your channel. thanks.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2016 at 11:04pm
double posted

Edited by tom - 09/20/2016 at 2:28pm
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2016 at 11:31pm
I'll slowly add more videos. 

With setups, we get everything here. People with every combination of long and short pimples, on both forehand and backhand. A lot of people used to use Tenergy until the price hikes recently. 

There are 60k people in my city, which is considered tiny in Japan.

Here's another video. The girl in red is about 10 years old, and her opponent is about 16. It's a little short, and was taken from the top.

skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2016 at 10:34am
Mickd:

Thanks for the videos that enable us to see how the ordinary Japanese rural players play.
But the videos are too short covering only one game.

Do you have the video of a whole match?  (like 3 games out of 5).
skip3119
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2016 at 11:26am
My pleasure!

I should have some, but most the time I was walking around, recording for a minute here and a minute there. Usually a set (or whatever was left of the set when I got there).

I'll upload some some and post them tomorrow! It's midnight here atm.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2016 at 11:47am
Here's mostly a full match from the same girl in the previous video. She's versing the girl who was umpiring in the last video. Her opponent is also about 16 years old.

I'm uploading all 5 sets from the match in the OP. I'll update the OP to include them when they're done (or after I wake up).

I'll upload another match afterwards too, with a 11 year old girl versing a 16 year old. I liked them because they were also left handed like me <3. I have videos of stronger juniors, too, but only like parts of a set. I also have videos from other tournaments.

Edited by mickd - 09/20/2016 at 7:54pm
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2016 at 8:00pm
Okay, I added all 5 sets from the match into the OP.

Here's most of the match between the 11 and 16 year old. I started recording when they were already at 1 set each.

By the way, these juniors (the ones in the red and white uniforms) are from one of the three or so strongest table tennis clubs in my prefecture. The levels range, of course, but overall they're very strong for their age!
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2016 at 5:59am
Here are some matches from a higher level, small team competition in my area awhile back. A lot of the top clubs from my prefecture and the ones surrounding mine came to participate.

I wish I had videos of the guys playing because I saw them practising the day before, and it was pretty amazing. I arrived late, so the guys all finished already.

Enjoy!

Edited by mickd - 09/21/2016 at 5:59am
rosecitytt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2016 at 8:22am
I wonder if there are any kid playing Penhold? maybe you can share some video?
Darker Speed OEM 10mm Jpen
FH:Beijing Swords
RPB:Tenergy 05 2.1
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2016 at 10:36am
That depends on what age you consider someone to be a kid, and if you care about their playing level or not :) 

I probably have some videos of 12-14 year old penholders. Most of them would have only been playing for a year or two, so their playing level won't be terribly high.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2016 at 11:05am
Oh sorry, rosecitytt. I forgot to look for some penholder videos. The blue shirt girl in the second video is a penholder. I'll see if I can find more videos for you!!

Here are 2 more videos from a local middle school tournament:

Sorry about the shortness of this video. I started recording mid way through the set. But I really liked the girl's movement. My school also versed that school, and we lost 0-3. All I can say is, I've never seen students with better discipline than those students. I wish I recorded it to show you guys. There were a few schools like them. The way they greet you, the way they line up, bow, everything, was very very cool to see.

Here's another video. The girl in black is really strong. She's one of the strongest middle school students in the prefecture. Check it out.

In both videos, the opponents (girls on the further side from the camera) are using long pimples. In the second video, the opponent is from the same school as the girl I played in my other thread "My Progress Over Time".

Edited by mickd - 11/07/2016 at 11:08am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2016 at 3:15pm
Last time I visited Japan, I spent quite a bit of time in a smaller city, Kanazawa, and the surrounding area.  I don't know if that would be considered rural, but it was fantastic (we took some short trips to some smaller towns also, spent the night in one).

Now I have decided every time I go to Japan I need to go to some of these less-traveled areas.  It was very different from Tokyo or Osaka, and even Kyoto, where I have spent a lot of time  before.  And really really nice.

I have never actually tried to play TT in Japan.  Always seemed to be too much other stuff to see (and eat Thumbs Up).  Next time I will try to play.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2016 at 12:11am
mickd, thank you for the 2nd video (penhold in blue shirt)
It is interesting to see her serving with Black inverted side, then twiddle to red (LP) side to hit,
almost like Zhou XinTong (CHN), penhold with LP on FH,

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2016 at 2:00am
Originally posted by rosecitytt rosecitytt wrote:

mickd, thank you for the 2nd video (penhold in blue shirt)
It is interesting to see her serving with Black inverted side, then twiddle to red (LP) side to hit,
almost like Zhou XinTong (CHN), penhold with LP on FH,

What brands of rubber does Zhou Xintong use on each side and how much sponge ?
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2016 at 9:25am
This is a reply to LUCKYLOOP.

Following info was posted by a forum member, AJay (not sure he is still here, he reads a lot but only post very infrequently.)

(Courtesy of AJay) Zhou Xintong uses penhold Nittaku Runlox 5 with Dawei 388D-1 Quattro over 0.6mm sponge and TSP Spectol for her backhand.
=========================

The rural Japanese girl playing penhold with LP on her forehand is very similar to Zhou Xintong.
We are talking about Japanese player (non-professional) here. The LP penhold magician - 小島(駒大)   of Japan that that rural Japanese girl can try to emulate.

Edited by skip3119 - 11/08/2016 at 11:23am
skip3119
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2016 at 3:33pm
She plays with 338d-1 ox on FH. Don't know it is quattro or taobao; she did mention that she needs to change her lp every few days.

Edited by Egghead - 11/08/2016 at 3:35pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2016 at 4:46pm
In the rural area of USA, sometimes it is hard to even find a place to play - much less tournaments.
Table tennis is much more popular in Japan than in the U. S.
skip3119
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2016 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

In the rural area of USA, sometimes it is hard to even find a place to play - much less tournaments.
Table tennis is much more popular in Japan than in the U. S.
Then, why not just buy a tt table and play in your house basement?
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
dmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2016 at 7:54pm
I have a table. I have a robot. But I only have 2 guys to play in my town of 17,000 (35,000 in surrounding area). Due to a very demanding job, I am not able to set up a club myself in my town. I can drive an hour for a small club- 5-10 guys attending. If I drive 3 hours I can get a decent size club with actual rankings and a good number of players. It is impossible to get that good with a robot and infrequent play. There just isn't that much interest in the USA. 

But table tennis still rules! Never give up!
Thanks!
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2016 at 8:47pm
I should probably classify. Rural in Japan is vastly different to rural in other countries. In my city there are about 60k people with a population density of about 500 people per km^2. That said, it's considered rural.

There's a place to play table tennis every night, usually all within 20 minutes drive. The amount of people playing per night range from like 10 people (smaller clubs) to like 30+ people.

Also, nearly every school in Japan has a table tennis club, so a lot of people continue playing table tennis as a form of exercise when they get older. And because they've been playing for years already in middle and senior high school, usually their playing level is pretty decent.

I really am lucky to be surrounded by so much table tennis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2016 at 10:04pm
The info is as new as 2013, this is what Zhou Xintong have then.
Blade Nittaku Runlox-5,
FH LP rubber: Dawei 388D-1, Attack/hit/Loop
BH SP/MP rubber: TSP Spectol, RPB
The FH has to be like 0.6mm or 1mm thick sponge.

Edited by rosecitytt - 11/08/2016 at 10:07pm
PierreAd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PierreAd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2016 at 3:45pm
Wow thanks a lot for sharing those videos. I really enjoyed the first match, those guys seemed to play very well. I particularly liked the JPEN guy, what a nice and smooth forehand... I've just started transitioning to penhold (CPEN) after about 20 years of shakehand, so that's nice for me to watch this kind of match. Especially because there are not many penholders here in France, and it's hard to see matchs from other penholders of an intermediate-advanced level. I'll follow this topic and hope you'll find some time to keep on sending videos from time to time :)
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2016 at 1:22pm
Enjoyed watching those Japanese rural area ordinary folks playing TT.  Not too many schools in the USA (1st to 12th grades) have TT clubs.  Of the 6 schools that I know in our area, none has a TT club.
Please keep those videos coming.
skip3119
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2016 at 6:29pm
You're welcome, Pierre and skip! I'll definitely be posting more videos. I have so many more, but I haven't had the time to sort through them. Last Saturday there was another tournament in the area, and in three weeks there's another :) As long as people are interested, I'll try to keep the videos flowing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic