Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Multi Ball Training: Pros and Cons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multi Ball Training: Pros and Cons
    Posted: 09/07/2011 at 12:30pm
My team mate and I were in disagreement regarding the benefits of multiball training (MBT). He was pro one on one coaching (OOC).

I came from a system where multiball is used early, often and continuously. I never really gave a good thought of it's benefit. I know it works for me. I know I can MBT train with someone several levels below me but can't train non MBT if they can't keep the ball on the same "area" much more on the table, regardless of level.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2011 at 1:58pm
MBT is great for all levels of play. even when learning hand-eye coordination and swing mechanics. from a beginner pov, they can't get a consistent rally going so there's no point trying to go into a rally with them.

so MBT can just feed them balls and get them used to the swing and it won't matter where the ball lands (at first).
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2011 at 5:18pm
Pros-can continue to work on footwork, etc.. even if you miss a ball. Good for learning strokes because often you cannot keep the ball on the table in a rally. Tons of balls in a short amount of time. 
cons- not realistic in where the ball only comes from one place, sometimes unrealistic ball tempo

Edited by kenneyy88 - 09/07/2011 at 5:19pm
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 1:00am
the tempo depends on how good the feeder is. as for ball positioning...that is a bit more tricky. usually a bucket in the middle of the table fixes that and you can feed about half the table from positioning....again it depends on the skill of the feeder.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 6:45am
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 9:35am
Our Korean club 2300+ are still on Multiball as part of their training. It is dificult in a 1 on 1 to replicate the wide angles and speed of ball, nor is it possible to create the smash smash balls alternating to each corner that develop or maintain anticipation and quick movement in that kind of overload timespan.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 10:10am
Needs a lot of practice to get the right speed on topspin ones, and hard to control alternating short and long backspin. 
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 11:19am
it's a lot of learning the feel on how to feed the ball. i know i had so much trouble switching between those short and long pushes. i really think that it actually helped my real game too by doing a lot of feeding.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu80P4MpF3c

that is simply crazy....

that's the one! look at 2m19s when the boss is coming in action!

Those kids are so beast.  The last drill they did is godly.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Nori View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2011 at 4:19pm
man... i need that drill at 4:19
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2011 at 5:59pm
Pro's= good training for footwork, recovery, especially squeezing time that is not possible in real play.

Con's= its not real, at no time ever are you going to face a player who delivers the same ball you will get in multi ball, because it is delivered from an unrealistic position of a static ball delivered from a hand to a bat/paddle, that in no way can be replicated in real play. 
The Older I get, The better I was.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2011 at 7:52pm
multiball alone is no good. it should be partnered with table drills and service practice and receiving
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2011 at 4:04am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Pro's= good training for footwork, recovery, especially squeezing time that is not possible in real play.

Con's= its not real, at no time ever are you going to face a player who delivers the same ball you will get in multi ball, because it is delivered from an unrealistic position of a static ball delivered from a hand to a bat/paddle, that in no way can be replicated in real play. 

Would agree with APW here.  In my opinion, the higher the level of the player, the more important multiball training becomes as thats when you'll start seeing that pace and power in opponents. 

I see alot of coaches giving lower level players (1500 and under) multiball and have always questioned it because at that level, they will NEVER face a player that skilled that the multiball speed of recovery will come into play nor will they face anyone who repeatedly will feed them perfect balls with perfect power to the same spots over and over again.  The student does decently in the drills mostly because they can borrow the power and pace from the high level feeder which makes them think they improved greatly.  It also makes the coach look good during the lesson because they love to show off the "progress" to hook you into more lessons. 

However when REAL gameplay comes vs someone of their level, it's completely different from what they trained because they will have no perfect pace/power/placement to borrow from.  They see alot of slow pace balls where they have to generate all the speed and spin which they didn't really train.  In essence, they didn't really learn a thing because they weren't training the way they play.  They end up killing themselves in games via unforced errors from inconsistencies, bad footwork/timing due to the slower pace, bad reading of spin.  This keeps them at the lower levels even if they have had formal lessons for a long time.  It's also just one of the reasons why lower level long pips players can just walk through the lower levels without even knowing how to use the long pips properly.  It doesn't matter if they return it high as long as its weird/slow/spinny... the lower level players will miss more than they make.  Equate it to learning how to build a house but knowing nothing about building the foundation the house will sit on.  The house falls apart when unforeseen things come along.  You can't skip to step D before you can accomplish A/B/C.

If anything, I feel lower level players should adapt to the slower speed of play because they will see alot of low power balls, slow pace balls, floaty balls, mis-hit or mis-read spinny balls.  It's imperative to be able to consistently open/finish on these types of shots with a very low rate of unforced errors before you move to higher levels.  At the lower levels, unforced errors are the real killer and as your skill goes higher, the importance of not making stupid mistakes is even more magnified.

Instead of multiball at lower levels, it would benefit the player more just to play practice points or practice games versus opponents near their level.  The other alternative is scripted/free play points (serve, push, open, then free play rally).  It will force you to be able to learn the pace, the footwork/timing associated with it, the ability to read spin to return serves tighter, and the ability to generate your own power  before you move on to the "multi-ball" pace. 

Alot of lower levels like to rant on about "more speed, more power, better rubbers, better blades, the need to tune their rubbers, blah blah blah."  You shouldn't be playing "fast and powerful" if you can't handle playing "slow and controlled" with high consistency and low errors!  That's a recipe for embarassment when someone figures you out and decides to slow pace push you to death (ping pong style by just keeping it on the table with varying underspin) while watching you kill yourself in a "fast and powerful" blaze of glory from unforced errors.

Edited by Rack - 09/10/2011 at 4:55am
Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2011 at 5:32am
That would depend on the coach and the type of training they're giving along with the intentions of your friend.  In China when they train the kids, some schools will encourage them not to play any games until they've drilled all aspects of basics into them.  Then they start schooling gameplay and tactics when they know their basics and footwork form a solid foundation for them to learn off of.  However you have to take into account that those kids are learning for different reasons such as trying to become world class players to pull their families out of poverty so they need world class training.  If your friend falls in this category where he's trying to become serious professional player, then I would follow the coach if he's really intent on taking him to that level and your friend is committed to actually wanting to go that far.  That decision will usually come between your friend and his coach since your friend is the one dropping that much money and time into it.  Your friend needs to assess the situation accordingly to what he's getting coaching quality wise, per what his goal is (professional? amateur? playing for fun?), per the time/money/effort spent. 

However I hate to say it but I've also seen coaches that charge 40 bucks/hour to be glorified hitting partners.  They rarely give tips and they make the students pick up the balls while they just stand around and waste the lesson time as much as possible.  They might limit the balls they use with you when training to save money from broken/lost balls and for you to waste more time picking up balls.  When training, they will purposely feed balls that make the student look great just to give them incentive to come back for more lessons when they know they'ed do horrible in a real game where random stuff comes.  Also they don't take into account that the student is not looking to become a world class player.  I know APW has experienced this with coaches also.... training the students like they're pro's when they will never hit that level or have even have the intention to hit that level.  I've seen some coaches refuse students unless they feel you have the potential to bring fame to their club.  Some will take you... half ass your lessons... then encourage you to play against their gifted students supposedly "for your benefit" but it's really for their students to practice against you and your style.  So you're basically paying them to help train their students and be a test dummy for their gifted students to practice unorthodox balls on.  I can definitely agree that not all coaching is good coaching.

If your friend falls in that category where he just wants to become a skilled amateur player playing in rated tournies here and there, then league games will help get him the playing experience against different opponents and styles.  It would also give him a place to attempt to apply everything he has learned into one working package.  I would definitely recommend that since theres nothing like experience to get better.

Edited by Rack - 09/10/2011 at 6:13am

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2011 at 5:43am
No problem! Updated more stuff if you wanna re-read it.

Edited by Rack - 09/10/2011 at 6:13am

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2011 at 6:46am
a good multiball session is not only consist of drills for speed but also adaptation to changes in speed and pace of the ball. if somebody feeds you with balls of the same speed then its not enough.. there are also drills that needs to be slowed down. multiball drill is very versatile you can adjust the speed, to say that it is unrealistic because of the speed is to miss the point on what it is for and things that are really done
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2011 at 7:52am
It's not just the speed... its the differing quality based on the feeder.  As APW said, it's delivered upon a platform of a static ball from hand to blade which is unrealistic.  Also the quality of the different speed and paces are very similar based on the feeder's skill.  Alot of coaches can not simulate a lower level's random ball quality very well. 

In a real game however, there is already existing spin and pace on the ball which can differ vastly depending on the skill of the opponent along with the randomness of placement/height/depth.  A push from one player may be quite heavy while a push from another player can look heavy but really have nothing at all since their pushing quality may not be high level. 

However in multi-ball, the student has been training on only the feeder's quality/spin/pace and the stroke used and entered into muscle memory is geared towards it.  The student never learns how to adapt the stroke when all those factors change vastly from person to person.

So here's a good example of what typically happens in these scenarios.  Your feeder is a 2400 level coach so he/she has a good quality push feed... the underspin is pretty heavy and the low level student adapts a more upwards stroke to loop it to compensate for the heavy spin.  After an hours worth of training, the student has it down pretty well.  After training the student plays his friend... the friend is 1200.  The friend pushes to the student and the quality of the push is no where near the quality of the feeders... we'll say much less spin and height is higher.  The student uses the same stroke as he does training during the multiball and proceeds to loop the ball up and long due to the stroke now being in muscle memory and the misread.   

Next few balls, the 1200 player keeps pushing and the quality keeps changing since they really have no solid clue what they're doing at that level (they just push it back onto the table to keep it in play)... some are heavy... some are not... some have medium spin... some are fast... some are slow... some pop up.... some are no spin...etc etc.  Then the student tries all kinds of stuff to attempt to compensate because they've never seen it from the multiball... the trained loop doesn't work... he tries to kill some of them... he tries to drive some of them and misses the majority of them... ends up losing to someone with no training.  Now the student's left wondering what real progress has been made.  It looked great in training but didn't translate well to an actual game.

The thing is instead of training in those specific scenarios they would encounter, they trained in a scenario where they were fed similar quality consecutively balls to known locations.  So when it came time for randomness to come in a true game, 1 stroke does not work for everything.  This is why it's better to train within the environment you will encounter.  If your opponents are 1200-1400... practice with those levels until you can adapt quickly while limiting unforced errors.  When it comes time for a real game... the environment and the balls you see are no longer foreign to you.  You train in the environment in which you play.  The more environments (different opponents) you train against, the faster and more readily you can read and adapt.  The faster you can read and adapt, the less mistakes you make which is utter gold when you're developing through the lower levels.

By the time you get better, you no longer have trouble with random pacing from random people.  You can now open and finish shots consistently instead of having random unforced errors.  And as the quality of opponents go up, the more predictable the quality of the shots become in terms of spin, speed, consistency.  That's when multiball comes into importance to deal with that speed.  The higher levels is also where multiball makes sense because the quality of the shots being returned won't be as wildly random so you can actually train with a high level feeder and see those types of balls consistently.

Edited by Rack - 09/10/2011 at 8:25am

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2011 at 7:54pm
let me elaborate on what i stated. the quality of shots that you stated because of a high level feeder and a low level opponent can be altered. that is why i said there is a variation of speed, pace and also the spin. a good multiball not only does that but also deals with specific situations where height of the bounce changes and putting in random circumstances. to say multiball is unrealistic is not entirely true. though you do not depend on the multiball for you to master the situations you will encounter including your opponents, it helps you prepare to possible situations that you will encounter possibly. let me use your example of the 1200 vs a player who trains in multiballs. you have not stated the level of the player nor stated how long the latter has been training so it isnt a good comparison. if that 1200 player is a witty player he will win to some extent but only to some extent. practicing against diff opponents will help you but doing multiballs will help you develop faster since you develop your strokes in a better way. 
what im trying to say is multiball is very important in all levels especially on lower levels. when my coach was in china to train in his younger days. he would see kids taught how to feed balls even at ages of 8 or 9 or younger. they are very good feeders by the way and level as feeders are good. what kind of multible sessions do they have aside from the fixed positions and basic footwork drills? variation and random feeds.
you also failed to see the purpose of feeding the ball constantly to a fixed position. multiball is a progression of strokes. you need to start feeding the ball first in a fixed position because the most important thing in the beginning is to teach the player how to hit the ball properly including the movement of the body when doing a certain stroke, after that it progresses to placement on dff parts of the table like looping on the middle or backhand side with a forehand loop, after that it is placed randomly and so on and so forth. at the level of 1200 i wouldnt worry about my student losing or winning, i focus on the development of his strokes and techniques in the table. 
as a coach who always teach beginners i would also see them lose against players who have played against them in the beginning. it is normal but by training them through multiball in majority, partnered with match play and specific table drills those low level players will just be low level players too unless they train properly. i have a 16 yr old female students whom i have been teaching 2x a week for almost 3 months. on the first month i taught her the basic strokes, the most advanced for that time i taught her was a bh forehand one step drill, on her second month i taught her how to loop on the forehand ad in the middle of the 2nd month how to do bh loop. on her 3rd month i will be teaching her to randomly loop the ball on different parts of the table. she can win against 1200 level players you are saying. do you get the point that im saying rack? 
also to say that a lot of coaches cannot simulate a lower levels situational play is a bit biased. feeding balls with higher ht and less spin is very easy. 

Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2011 at 8:29pm
Good counter argument Yogi...

So you can simulate it but your quality will also always be more predictable than a lower level player.  The ball quality will also be higher than a 1200 player.  I have never seen any coach multiball to simulate how randomly a lower level player plays which includes the pace.  I've never seen a "no power" multi ball or a coach using a pre-made blade to multiball.  To make it even more precise, I've even approached different provincial coaches and asked them if that was possible and they said no, the quality can never be the same.  The only way you'll get that is by playing and experience.

My main point is... would your rather train in the environment that you'll have to compete in and train on what you'll be up against... or train in some environment that is artifically created in terms of pacing and quality?  The possible scenarios that I see coaches multiball are usually a machine gun of underspins or topspins at a fast pace or some scenario set at a quality and pace the lower level will never see consisently until they're 1600+.

The kids in China multiball because most of them don't even play games at that age.  The coaches tell them to not play a single game until all basics and scenarios are drilled into their heads for the foundation (the robot training).  Only after that will they game train, tactics, styles.  You can't compare the world class hardcore training in China vs the mini 1 hour training lessons people get here.  People here don't go to table tennis school and train for 8+ hours a day.  You will never see a 1200 player here feeding like any one of those kids.  It's a totally different goal since they are trying to become world class players.  They also multiball because thats the quality of shots they'll see since they practice with everyone whos foundations are already drilled in solid.  However here, that won't be the case.

Now feeding to a fixed position... that can be useful just for the feel aspect.  However as I said earlier, the quality will drastically change once you get a real opponent that makes you actually move around randomly and perform it with different quality balls.  They can do it fine against your fed balls and against simularly trained opponents like your other students... but get someone really unorthodox who throws them off... see how they do.  Have them face someone with a dirt slow blade and dull rubbers and see if your trained strokes will still work.

It's always easier to play someone who has had lessons if you've had lessons.  You've all learned the same things so you know what to expect.  You all use similar gear.  The trouble comes when you see someone who plays a style you've never seen before.  Can the player draw from the multi ball drills and same strokes when what they're seeing is nothing like it?

Edited by Rack - 09/10/2011 at 8:49pm

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2011 at 11:59pm
I think the chinese coaching technique of no games until the basics are down is very sensible. I think it can be applied to amateurs as well, not just people going for world class level.

If you start an average player from scratch, assuming twice a week coaching, it is very possible that well within a year you will have good basic form. The feel might not be there, but at least there is no odd movements or really bad habits. One year (at worst) is not a great deal of time in the long run, and the training would be fun too.

Beginners miss alot, and if you try to rally with them they will get tentative trying not to miss, try to poke at the ball instead of hitting smoothly through, and the form and feel will go out the window. So multiball is great for that. Finally multiball is also less frustrating for beginners, so they are more likely to continue with the sport.

Then at the next level, if you multiball enough or are naturally fast, you will have good "frequency" compared to others at your level, and will not be afraid of rallies, and so you have the option of playing a more patient consistent  topspin game rather than trying to one-shot your opponent because you cant rally. This will lead to faster improvement.

Of course eventually you will start playing games with people who have odd styles. Now because you have the basics down, your perspective changes, and you have more shots which gives you more options for strategies. You might miss the shots at first, but you know they are possible. Now you are on the path to great improvement.

Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2011 at 12:23am
Yes but that only works with true fresh slate beginner kids.  And many in the US won't have the patience for it.

Edited by Rack - 09/11/2011 at 12:23am

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2011 at 2:24am
Originally posted by Vassily Vassily wrote:

I think the chinese coaching technique of no games until the basics are down is very sensible. I think it can be applied to amateurs as well, not just people going for world class level.

If you start an average player from scratch, assuming twice a week coaching, it is very possible that well within a year you will have good basic form. The feel might not be there, but at least there is no odd movements or really bad habits. One year (at worst) is not a great deal of time in the long run, and the training would be fun too.

Beginners miss alot, and if you try to rally with them they will get tentative trying not to miss, try to poke at the ball instead of hitting smoothly through, and the form and feel will go out the window. So multiball is great for that. Finally multiball is also less frustrating for beginners, so they are more likely to continue with the sport.

Then at the next level, if you multiball enough or are naturally fast, you will have good "frequency" compared to others at your level, and will not be afraid of rallies, and so you have the option of playing a more patient consistent  topspin game rather than trying to one-shot your opponent because you cant rally. This will lead to faster improvement.

Of course eventually you will start playing games with people who have odd styles. Now because you have the basics down, your perspective changes, and you have more shots which gives you more options for strategies. You might miss the shots at first, but you know they are possible. Now you are on the path to great improvement.

do you think training twice a week is enough to start from scratch?
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2011 at 3:44am
Yes, we are not talking full mastery of all the strokes, just the basics. Basic sidestepping footwork. FH BH push, counter/drive, FH opening loop against backspin (multiball is good for the last two). Then blocking loops.

Maybe adding spin to drives to make a loop for topspin, which is similar impact feeling to blocking loops (multiball here again). Maybe try to clean up the FH-BH and BH-FH transition with multiball.

Should be doable in one year? Two sessions a week, couple of hours each time?

If theres time, maybe step around and crossover footwork (not too much point having one and not the other) for opening on BH, or BH loop if they are slower.

Dont really need to serve, maybe just a basic short backspin serve and a long one. Dont want to serve too much sidespin or it makes 3rd ball opening loops trickier. Dont need flick, maybe BH flick for really easy balls.

Smashing/looping high balls maybe.

Then they have the basics down, the only thing to do is to get faster and more consistent, and develop the minihop footwork.

I dont really see how the patience of the player comes into it. Surely it is much more fun to play/learn like this than randomly hack around and play meaningless games of ping pong. The patience of the coach on the other hand, unless he/she is being paid, is the problem LOL.

Edited by Vassily - 09/11/2011 at 3:50am
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2011 at 4:22am
There is another advantage that I forgot about, multiball allows a coach of inferior playing ability, to train with a high level player.
The Older I get, The better I was.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2011 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Rack Rack wrote:

Good counter argument Yogi...

"So you can simulate it but your quality will also always be more predictable than a lower level player.  The ball quality will also be higher than a 1200 player.  I have never seen any coach multiball to simulate how randomly a lower level player plays which includes the pace.  I've never seen a "no power" multi ball or a coach using a pre-made blade to multiball.  To make it even more precise, I've even approached different provincial coaches and asked them if that was possible and they said no, the quality can never be the same.  The only way you'll get that is by playing and experience."

* not the perfect lower level multiball but you can make something a lil bit closer to it. also, by asking your player hwat are the things he had difficulty playing with gives you an idea of practicing a situational multiball session that will help improve a player.

My main point is... would your rather train in the environment that you'll have to compete in and train on what you'll be up against... or train in some environment that is artifically created in terms of pacing and quality?  The possible scenarios that I see coaches multiball are usually a machine gun of underspins or topspins at a fast pace or some scenario set at a quality and pace the lower level will never see consisently until they're 1600+.

* i would rather teach my student the right basics. experience with no multible training will only get you up to a certain level but having a great basics and foundation through multiball will get you to places. if you can teach a player the good basics through multiballs why not, with table drills its even better, with matchplays after training the 1st 2 things mentioned it is the best training. itys not always a machine gun of underspins and fast pace balls. you can incorporate sudden changes in the pace like slowing down of a ball or suddn increase in speed. at the level of 1200 to 1600 the most important thing is to develop the basics. incorporating techniques on how to win points comes along as teach the basics

The kids in China multiball because most of them don't even play games at that age.  The coaches tell them to not play a single game until all basics and scenarios are drilled into their heads for the foundation (the robot training).  Only after that will they game train, tactics, styles.  You can't compare the world class hardcore training in China vs the mini 1 hour training lessons people get here.  People here don't go to table tennis school and train for 8+ hours a day.  You will never see a 1200 player here feeding like any one of those kids.  It's a totally different goal since they are trying to become world class players.  They also multiball because thats the quality of shots they'll see since they practice with everyone whos foundations are already drilled in solid.  However here, that won't be the case.

* the kids in china are allowed to have match plays in their free time by the way. yes they are training 8 hrs a day but it doesnt hide the fact that even if you do just 2hrs of training, multiball is still the most important thing unless you are weeks away from a competition. 

Now feeding to a fixed position... that can be useful just for the feel aspect.  However as I said earlier, the quality will drastically change once you get a real opponent that makes you actually move around randomly and perform it with different quality balls.  They can do it fine against your fed balls and against simularly trained opponents like your other students... but get someone really unorthodox who throws them off... see how they do.  Have them face someone with a dirt slow blade and dull rubbers and see if your trained strokes will still work.

*again i dont think you see my point. multiball is a progression of practice skills. if you cannot loop well in a fixed position how will you loop randomly placed balls? the variation of spin as a coach i dont introduce it not until their 3rd or 4th month depending on their progress. random placement of underspin balls, i dont introduce it not until the 3rd month. sure those low level opponents will win at first, but what im talking baout here is giving a player a good foundation on his strokes. if you dont have a good stroke how will you progress of doing things while having foot work? if you dont have a good footwork with good strokes how will you anticipate random placed balls?

It's always easier to play someone who has had lessons if you've had lessons.  You've all learned the same things so you know what to expect.  You all use similar gear.  The trouble comes when you see someone who plays a style you've never seen before.  Can the player draw from the multi ball drills and same strokes when what they're seeing is nothing like it?

* i use diff kinds of rubbers and pips when teaching my students. hundreds of brands out there but the principle remains the same. about styles, id rather concentrate on teaching kids what kind of a ball they are receiving and hitting, if they know what it is then they still go back to the basic principles on how to return that ball. if a player who only plays and does no multiball drills comes up against a player you are describing, who would you think have a greater chance? the one who has a multiball drill against similar situations or the one who hasnt had the same opportunity in an almost similar situation?

Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2011 at 6:22am
I dont think you need to worry too much about trying to beat a 1200 player. So instead of trying to beat a 1200, then 1300, etc etc climbing up the ladder, it is better to give them a solid foundation which is good enough to beat say a 1800. Then it is just a question of match experience, which can be acquired by league matches, and their rating will rocket up in a matter of months. So they start slow (actually stationary), but go up fast.

For off tempo shots, it is better to be fast (high frequency), than slow, since if you are fast you feel absolutely no time pressure for each of the (slower) off tempo shots. Then it becomes a problem of finding the right timing while having plenty of time. This is much easier than finding the right timing while feeling rushed for time.

Edited by Vassily - 09/11/2011 at 6:24am
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2011 at 4:50pm
Actually thats not true either.  I know some "trained" people who can take on 1800 players easily since they can draw on their training.  But give them someone unorthodox (pips player, some old asian players, anti players) they lose via unforced errors.

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2011 at 5:14pm
They have the tools to beat the pips, its just a lack of experience, which can easily be solved.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2011 at 5:17pm
Pro's are obvious, you can groove your strokes very quickly, as you get to hit the ball a lot.

Con's, well, if your stroke technique is wrong and no one is there to correct it, then you are grooving a bad technique. Benefits to that? Also, if the feeder constantly feeds the ball to the same area, it might harm your ability to recover, as many players get lazy and don't get back in neautral position after each stroke. Might also harm their foot work, as the players might place his feet in one position and if the feeder is good enough, he never moves around.

Don't get me wrong, multiball is an excellent form of practice, but there are things you have to think about when you implement it.
The holy grail
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2011 at 5:17pm
As for Yogi...

Yes you can make it "close to it" but it's still not the real thing you get which is what I'm advocating.  Real > close to it.

I know plenty of players who have made it to decently high levels with little or no multi-ball so no multiball is not a requirement.  And yes I agree that Basics are important... however you can have all the basics in the world and still lose.  In the end goal, the goal is still to win games.  I wouldn't hire a coach if it didn't aid me in winning.  He could make me the most solid basics player ever, but if it doesn't translate into winning, then its pretty useless.  A coach should be teaching and also helping the player win.  Would you hire a coach that teaches you but all his players lose?

And yes you can do pace changes in multiball, but again back to point one... its your simulated pace changes.  When you see the real thing at that level, it's completely different.  Your drilled strokes will not work since its constantly changing.

As for the multiball within a certain alotted time, sure multiball is a "progression' of practice skills.  As i've said before, most of these practice scenarios the player will never see at the lower levels especially the machine gunning.  And if they do, there are many other variables that will make it completely different than what you drilled.  I'm not saying that multiball has no benefit.  As i've said before, multiball comes into benefit later when the player actually plays against someone who can actually give them those scenarios with perfect balls and good placement. In the beginning, I would much rather play practice points/scenarios vs the level of opponents they will have to face so they can work on serve return, recovery footwork, pushing, opening against underspin, and finishing balls they should finish.  Training like this makes them see and experience what they'll play against so it will no longer be foreign to them as well as limits unforced errors which is the true killer in the beginning as well as when you move up.  Alot of unforced errors usually come from just a sliver of doubt (which causes hesitation) entering their heads when they see a ball their brains can't automatically comprehend.  Would simulated multiball fix these doubts or would actually seeing the ball in the conditions they'll see it (real) fix these conditions?  Once they "graduate" from that level of opponents and can win consistently, then you throw them the next level up until they hit that multiball stage of opponents.  Thats when multiball comes in handy.

Also which would help morale for the student to keep going on the table tennis journey?  Learning along with winning or learning and always losing?  Morale is a huge part of learning TT because of the steep learning curve.  If you lose that morale and zest for the game due to constantly losing, it doesn't matter how solid basics you have because you won't want to continue.

Let me give you an example.  You're a race car driver and you have a race... your goal is to win the race.  You have a coach teaching you how to drive and you could train only for 2 hours a day until you're booted off.  He gives you 2 choices of training,

1)  Train in the "simulator" vs simulated opponents with a screen in front of you to learn the track and all it's nuances hoping the "simulator" could simulate as close as possible the track conditions/opponent skill.  You can also use the simulator to practice driving on other tracks.

2)  Jump in your actual race car on the actual track you'll race on vs some of the people you're going to race against to learn all the nuances of the track and opponents.  Of course the coach in the car is with you teaching you along the way.  This method, you get to actually experience the track and some opponents along with all its quirks.

Which would you choose?  Which would offer you the better chance to win your race if you could throw all the training time you had into one choice?  Sure choice 1 would help you down the line, but we're not talking about down the line because you have to win this race consistently before you move on to more races.  Which would give you the confidence in the future that if you ever see something similar again, that you could win everytime?

Edited by Rack - 09/11/2011 at 5:43pm

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic