Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

My 3 year old son

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mderka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mderka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 3 year old son
    Posted: 08/01/2011 at 9:16pm
Here is a short video of my 3 year old (he'll be 4 in the fall) son playing a little table tennis. I am NOT a player myself, he totally picked the game up on his own.

He has been playing for about 5 months now and really enjoys it.

Sponsored Links

rookies View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2011 at 9:32pm
wow! the kid is a feature star.Star
Timo Boll Spirit

FH: Hurricane 3 Neo

BH: Coppa X1 Turbo

My Feedback
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2011 at 9:53pm
He's actually really really good for a 3 year old. His skill level is somewhere between when Timo Boll was 4-5.
PLEASE don't let him just be a basement player his whole life. According to the video, Timo was competing since at least 9 so he must have received formal training before then. Please keep that in mind.

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
THE GAMEr View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE GAMEr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2011 at 11:07pm
That is awesome!!!!!!! Hope he keeps it up! Definitely awesome he has started so young. One of these days he'll lob like Waldner and smash like Persson!!!!!!
If at first you don't succeed, you're not Chuck Norris.

729 Dynasty Hinoki
FH 729 Cream Transcend
BH 729 super FX
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 12:14am
wow, it would be cool if you could bring it further with a coach in the future. 
YBFlash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YBFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 12:52am
Hey man, your kid has really good potential!
If he will like table tennis he may become a star!

Edited by YBFlash - 08/02/2011 at 12:55am
Blade: OSP Virtuoso+
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 1:07am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

He's actually really really good for a 3 year old. His skill level is somewhere between when Timo Boll was 4-5.

Actually, he has better feel for the ball. Smile
ttrastott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrastott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 5:09am
very good My son is 2.5 old and he can hit a ball when i throw it at him So who knows :) 
Donic Waldner Senso Carbon
FH Tibhar Genius Sound MAX
BH Tibhar Genius Sound MAX
jwendt2003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwendt2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 5:25am
That's priceless! Clap I especially liked 1:55. Well, he already knows how to hit, what's next; backhand loop drills?!? LOL These are the kind of kids that show up at tournaments at the age of 10 and kick my butt! Ouch
Nittaku KVW, Killerspin Fury
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 7:12am
your son is a natural. When he is older teach him tennis. There is no money in table tennis.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 7:45am
he has better mechanics then probably most people on this forum and people in my club. Also, if my eyes are right, he is also holding the racket with his index finger horizontal/wrapped around the racket, which is 10x better than holding it up vertical, like most beginners do(such as yourself). I hate to be a pooper, but addoydude has a point. It would be a waste if you didn't put a tennis racket in his hands. Instead of earning $500 a year, he could be earning $50,000. He could be the next roddick. 

Edited by popperlocker - 08/02/2011 at 7:47am
pablogilberto View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pablogilberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 10:52am
that is an awesome display of TT skills right there!! and I agree with addoydude and popperlocker...let him play Tennis instead!
mderka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mderka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 11:33am
Hey guys, thanks for the comments.

Charlie plays tennis as well and is quite good at it, but he is obviously limited by the weight of the racket and ball. He likes to play other sports as well. Its just that he absolutely LOVES ping pong. He watches instructional videos on YouTube when he's not playing.

We go to a local table tennis club in New Hampshire and all the guys there know him and enjoy playing with him. The coach there says there is not much he can do with him until he is 5-6 years old. Until then he just told us to have fun with the game.

Funny story, a couple months back we are at the club and there is a player there who I had not seen before. Charlie pulls on my sleeve and says, "Daddy, that man is using a penholder grip." Not being a player myself I didn't know what he was saying until another member laughed and explained to me what he was talking about!
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 11:33am
let him play TT and Tennis and get some coaching asap. His motor skills for a 3-year old are amazing.  Don't let his talent go to waste...get him some training and coaching.  He will be a force to deal with in the near future.  I hope you live in a part of the country where there are some good clubs/coaches.  He's definitely better than Timo Boll was at that age!
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 1:00pm
I  think he would be good with baseball too. He seems to have a talent with judging and controlling small object ballistics. Either baseball or tennis - the major sports. He can always do pingpong for fun in the tennis/baseball off-season. 
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
mderka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mderka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 5:19pm
Charlie loves baseball as well and he smacks the hell out of the ball. But he may play baseball with me for 30 minutes at a time or so.

This past Sunday we played ping pong for over 4 hours!
timstiga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timstiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2011 at 9:50am
you whould let him train in china for a few years and he will definitely be more skilled than any chinese kid his age. Tonnes of potential, i believe he represent the future of american table tennis.
Xiom Feel HX Pro
Tenergy 05 (FH)
Tenergy 64 (BH)

Previously:
Butterfly TBS
Yasaka Rakza 7 (FH)
Yasaka Rakza 9 (BH)

Xiom Absolute Carbon Control 08
Tenergy 05 (FH)
Tenergy 64 (BH)
ttCrawsaive View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttCrawsaive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2011 at 10:24am
If you let him train in Europe or in Asia, then he might be one of the greatest players in the future I think.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ttCrawsaive
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2011 at 12:54pm
I don't remember the details of it, but toddlers' neuron paths have not had the fatty cover that speed up the transmission of neuron impulses.  This is just biology/chemistry and cannot be trained.  Your kid has a few years head start against everybody else (my 5 yrs old still has problem catching balls), which should make a huge difference at that age.  How good he is as an adult is hard to tell, but up to 7, 8 yrs old, other kids are probably still playing catch up.  It just like, most kids who can read at 3 won't grow up to be Enstein, but they will be the top student in their class for a long time.

Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2011 at 8:30pm
I wish my father bought TT equipment for me at this age.
This kid is good.
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2011 at 9:24pm
Your son plays very well!!!  Get him a coach and he'll go far.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
ttrastott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrastott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2011 at 5:03am
Originally posted by mizutani_jun mizutani_jun wrote:

I wish my father bought TT equipment for me at this age.
This kid is good.
I feel the same way I could have been somewhere else now... My parents didnt have enough money back then when i told them about butterfly sriver :) When i told them how much it costs my father just looked at me and said "Just the one peace of rubber?" Are you crazy? :D So i had to stick with very cheap racket My coach was buying equipement only for the best players from the club so the rest of us suffered with worn out rubbers or cheap bats and you can barely develope your game with no spin... Now i can afford any rubber i want but who is gonne get me the skills hehe Im 29 Not the worst player but as i said i could have been somewhere esle by now :)
Donic Waldner Senso Carbon
FH Tibhar Genius Sound MAX
BH Tibhar Genius Sound MAX
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2011 at 9:37am

I agree with chu_bun...your son has a head start on everyone his age right now, but other kids will catch up eventually.  He has a talent, but the main thing is that he enjoys it so much.  If he really does enjoy it so much then take him to a club sometime and find him a coach.  I also played on the tennis team while in HS and he looks like he would be a natural at tennis.  Just remember though that he is ahead of the curve compared to most kids, but eventually other kids will catch up. 

Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
tabletennistips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennistips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2011 at 5:36pm
It is amazing
he was so good even at 4 he is definately the best TT player of his generation
check out my TT channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/tabletennistips1
I am selling:
bryce speed fx brand new unopened and timo boll OFF forte PM if interested
formidableone14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formidableone14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2011 at 8:00pm
AMAZING
BTY Timo Boll ALC

Tenergy 05 FH/Tenergy 80 BH
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2011 at 8:20pm
Impressive! have you noticed the backhand shot at 0:46 ?!
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
tabletennistips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennistips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2011 at 6:34am
its a shame that the 3 YO os being over shone by timo
I think that the 3 YO has brilliant potential
check out my TT channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/tabletennistips1
I am selling:
bryce speed fx brand new unopened and timo boll OFF forte PM if interested
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2011 at 7:24pm
Me too, my comment was referred to the 3yo.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
natca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2011 at 11:04pm
Very good
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic