Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My backhand topspin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2011 at 2:49pm
Exactly what I meant.......I am happy you understood my completely mixed up commentParty. ...Stupid of me not to check what I've written Unhappy LOL Embarrassed Ha ha ha . Never again
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Sponsored Links

Rainer87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2011 at 3:12pm
Thats ok! Tongue

Edited by Rainer87 - 11/25/2011 at 3:13pm
Blade: YEO
FH: Donic Baracuda
BH: Neubauer Diamant
http://www.youtube.com/koletis20
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2011 at 9:29pm
Rainer87,

Though wrist action is an important component of any BH topspin stroke, I think it's even more important to control the amount of wrist action, especially in the follow-through, according to the type of stroke and your ability to control your wrist.

For his stroke in the first video of your post, notice Ma Long doesn't allow his wrist to  extend or radially deviate excessively in his follow-through. In fact, he actually arrests his wrist from doing so.

When incorporating the forearm into the stroke, like Ma Long is doing in the video, as opposed to using the wrist predominantly, as when flipping like Zhang Ji Ke in the pictures, remember to let the elbow and forearm movement lead and guide the release of the wrist. Don't concentrate on the wrist movement to the point that it takes over the swing from the elbow and forearm.
Rainer87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2011 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

Rainer87,

Though wrist action is an important component of any BH topspin stroke, I think it's even more important to control the amount of wrist action, especially in the follow-through, according to the type of stroke and your ability to control your wrist.

For his stroke in the first video of your post, notice Ma Long doesn't allow his wrist to  extend or radially deviate excessively in his follow-through. In fact, he actually arrests his wrist from doing so.

When incorporating the forearm into the stroke, like Ma Long is doing in the video, as opposed to using the wrist predominantly, as when flipping like Zhang Ji Ke in the pictures, remember to let the elbow and forearm movement lead and guide the release of the wrist. Don't concentrate on the wrist movement to the point that it takes over the swing from the elbow and forearm.

I think controlling follow-through is the hardest part of this shot, for me anyway.
So you are saying that elbow and forearm movement is more important in the stroke than wrist.

When practising last time I was trying to think like this: Most important is that I must cock my wrist, if I do that then the wrist action comes to play naturally, if I dont, then it doesnt, because it is in neutral position were I cant use it. After cocking my wrist the movement start with shoulder and elbow, then forearm and at last wrist and follow-through. Am I in the right path?

Blade: YEO
FH: Donic Baracuda
BH: Neubauer Diamant
http://www.youtube.com/koletis20
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2011 at 5:07pm
Yea backswing, bring elbow in front, then bring your forearm back and then cock your wrist. Then lead your elbow and forearm forward and then release the wrist. 

Edited by kenneyy88 - 11/27/2011 at 5:08pm
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2011 at 6:28pm
The only observations I have are of your torso posture and position.

Pretend you are hugging a barrel big enough that your hands can't touch each other and round your back between the shoulder blades. Then pretend you have to lean forward at the waist because the barrel is heavy. I can see that you are already doing a little bit of this already, however I do not think you are rounding your back enough or leaning forward enough. Look carefully at ML slowmo as he prepares to hit his backhand and compare it to yours.

Here comes the hard part. It is clear, in the first video, that LGL is telling ML that he needs get more power from a waist turn rather than straightening up his torso. I think that this is accomplished by first "folding" and then "unfolding" at the inguinal crease. This is the inside of the hip joint where the upper leg meets the groin.

So once you are hugging the barrel and leaning forward pretend you are going to sit on a chair with your left butt cheek only, and turning to the left as you do this. You should see that your left thigh is closer to your waist than your right thigh(your inguinal crease is "folded". This is the loaded position. do everything in reverse to execute the stroke. Push off with your left leg as if you are standing up while turning to the right slightly(inguinal crease is "unfolding". Try to get a elastic feeling from your left hip to your arm as if they were connected with a thick rubber band. Snap!! Instant ML backhand. Instant=200,000 repetitions.Wink

Lau_hb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lau_hb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2011 at 7:09pm
Something I think may help you and that you should try to keep constant in your shots. To keep yourself going forward with your backhand you should be carefull not to bring your elbow closer to your body as you finish your shot. Making sure you don't do that will keep you from going sideways  and upwards too much with your BH and will greatly improve your shot.

Note that you could also be doing that because of lack of footwork when the ball comes to your elbow. If it's the case, making sure you always hit the ball straight in front of you will fix that little problem. Beside that I think everything has been said, good looking shot in my opinion!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic