Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My TT Video - Pls Comment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yylik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yylik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My TT Video - Pls Comment
    Posted: 09/07/2011 at 3:02am
Greetings. I was influenced by some of the postings here and decided to record one of my matches few weeks ago. This is my first time recording, editing and sharing a video. The video was recorded using a Nokia mobile phone and edited using Corel Video Studio (30 days trial). I apologize for the poor video quality because I want to keep the file size small, if not it takes ages for me to upload.
In the video, I am the one using shake hand.

IMO it is worth the effort to record matches. Before this, I fantasized or imagined play like a pro. The video shows all the flaws. I am more awake now:) So, highly recommend those yet to record, give it a try.

This is what I get out of the video:
1. Poor footwork
2. Passive play
3. Unable to initial attack from BH
4. and so on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIsdGkQUZ2E

Please comment.

Edited by yylik - 09/07/2011 at 3:31am
Sponsored Links

ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2011 at 4:03am
Not even going to comment on how you play yet.

All I can say is your opponents serve is obviously illegal.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2011 at 11:14am

Thanks for putting yourself out there!

I enjoyed it. Even though it was low-quality, you could see the ball better than many of the player made youtube videos.

I enjoyed your control of the points.

You can call it passive play, but you set up your attacks effectively and were able to open and usually win the point after the pushing started.

You also were able to sustain a number of FH attacks when necessary.

It would be interesting to see you playing a more aggressive topspinner, to see how you handle the other person's opener.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2011 at 12:21pm
You look a little too rushed, but overall, not bad. Pretty solid backhand and forehand.

When you attack, it is almost always in the middle of the table. Actually majority of your shots, with the exception of your serves, lands in the middle of the table. Try using the angles and you will have better chance.

Also with your opponents heavy push, instead of looping, try spinning instead. You may also try a lifting it using a looping motion. Very effecting against heavy push.

Very, very good game.
yylik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yylik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2011 at 3:14am
Thank you guys for those nice words and valuable advice.
Just want to share some of my thoughts.

I was trained a C-Pener. I was frustrated at one point of time many yrs ago because I was going nowhere, losing to the same people again and again. It was clear to me the problem being my weak BH, where I was unable to open up a rally effectively. My BH was basically for push blocking only. Last yr, I have decided to give shake hand a serious try. I bought my first expensive SH blade.

I watched few videos posted in this forum. Fellow members are more confident in opening up a rally using BH. In contrast, I lack the confidence to do so. I tend to play safe and wait either opponent to open the rally, or I wait for the shot to land on my FH. Long way to go:)

Footwork - I remember my primary school coach (we called him “Shi Fu”= something like Master in KungFu) used to teach that one should move and be in a position before you hit the ball. If I remember correctly, I was able to do that as a kid. Now, I am a grown up man with longer arms. From the video, it is clear that I had depended mostly on stretching my arms to reach to the ball than to depend on footwork.

Passive play – Unconsciously, I am passive in nature and content with being able to put the ball back on table. In the video, the opponent told me straight (before the match) that he was going to make me run, by attacking both sides and widening the angle. He managed to do that on many occasions. Thanks to the video, now I know the reason being that my initial passive blocks resulted in poor placement (usually to the forehand of opponent) which set up easily for him to be able to make me run like mad dog.

Passive play - I tend be the one who slow down during fast pushes/ rallies. Passive and by playing safe might work for less aggressive player but I know psychologically it is damaging in front of better skilled player. Someone ever told me it is better to be in the fast rallies (eg. hit hard) than to back down. He added that it is better to miss a point yourself (such as miss a counter loop/ fast pushes) than being smashed in the face.

There are many thoughts and ideas that I want to bring into the game. For example,

1.     Variety of serves couple with different landing serve shot.
2.     Utilized angle and by attacking the deep corners (straight or diagonal)
3.     Be pro-active, take initiative in attack. (nowadays, I see kids are attacking on the 3rd ball)
4.     Be pro-active, never back down during fast pushes/rallies.
5.     Put in some spin in the BH push instead of pure push
It is easier said than done. The idea and awareness is good, but I find myself to go back to old playing habits easily, usually when I start loosing points or feeling tired.

What say you?

Edited by yylik - 09/09/2011 at 11:23pm
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2011 at 4:55am
A little passive, playing a few pushes before you open. Gotta learn to take the initiative a little earlier. Strokes are decent. And playing a better opponent, its a bad habit to have this defensive mode in your game.   
channyboi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channyboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2011 at 5:05am
My coach always tell me i have a problem. We both have it.
After looping any ball -whether it's backspin or topspin- you shouldn't straighten your back.
Your right foot should be half a step behind your left.
When looping, not only the waist is needed to move, but your feet should points to the right for a forehand loop and slide back into the front after executing the stroke.
It is recommended that when preparing a backhand, you bend your stomach, and then open up as you execute the stroke (do not open to a straight body). Unlike forehand, no foot grazing is needed.
However, before you do all of that, remind your opponent to stop serving illegally :).
A chinese national coach once said that when executing a forehand loop, your body should be facing the right (or left if your a lefty). 
You are using too much arm and not enough body, hence you look quite stiff when hitting the ball (i.e sudden stroke, very rigid).

Edit: Just watched the video, some of the points above are already in your game while some are not.

Edited by channyboi - 09/09/2011 at 5:07am
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2011 at 10:04am
You play well. Nice video.

Originally posted by yylik yylik wrote:

Passive play - I tend be the one who slow down during fast pushes/ rallies. Passive and by playing safe might work for less aggressive player but I know psychologically it is damaging in front of better skilled player.

There is a difference between passive and counterattacking. If you dont really like opening on BH, its not really the end of the world. If you can make them attack weakly, and then you counter, its also ok. But you must be ready to counter, and counter hard when you get the chance. So its still aggressive, but its a slightly later (one more ball on the BH) aggressive.

The other option is to push long to his bh and prepare to step around and use your good FH, you may be able to save a bit of time by taking half a step to the side and may even pre-drop the shoulder. Better to push to his bh so he cant attack strongly and he cant get the far FH angle. If he pushes back to your far bh then you can just push again, but this way you get to be the one making threatening movements.

If you are slower than the other player you need to keep the game more closed, and when you get the chance attack really really hard and end the point one way or another since more rallying will play to the faster player's strengths. Of course to avoid having to do such tactics it is better to try to get faster, but for some people it is difficult.

Originally posted by yylik yylik wrote:

Someone ever told me it is better to be in the fast rallies (eg. hit hard) than to back down. He added that it is better to miss a point yourself (such as miss a counter loop/ fast pushes) than being smashed in the face.

True. If the opponent gets to smash you in the face a few times in a row, they may get good at it, get more confident, and get more successful, and the vicious cycle repeats itself. So it is important not to let the opponent get too happy. And if they do, call a timeout or just do some dirty timewasting by walking slowly to the ball, pretending to tie your shoelace etc etc LOL.

However, you must also remember to give your opponent a chance to miss. So you cannot be too banzai.

Edited by Vassily - 09/09/2011 at 10:17am
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic