Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Need to learn Basics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cdtrix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdtrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need to learn Basics
    Posted: 02/25/2007 at 9:44pm
So i've graduated from the premade generic stuff i can get at my local hardware/sports store ( check my other thread )

I've gotten myself an instinct blade with cream on mrs and super fx..
The feel and the weight of the blade has dramatically changed.
The rubber has changed how my play was.

I have a kinda fukuhara type of attack back hand... where i reach forward right after it bounces to smash. It's weak but it catches people off guard.

My forehand is undeveloped and i'm not sure how to train on it.

my timing is way off for the FH to loop but the only thing i got going for the for hand is a type of scooping chop and smashing.

the back hand i have a really good topspin smash and really long loops. For the BH i have really good chops as well.

My ultimate goal is:

Backhand for quick attack and short game
FH for power smashes and placement

I checked around and there aren't many clubs in my area, just pick up games in gyms. I don't think i'm good enough to go to these places. The only other place i can really play is at work. we have 1 table it's got lots of space good lighting but the players at work are either REALLY good or really bad. and it's hard to practice.

i have a table at home but it's a 120 dollar wal-mart table. It's okay but it is a 4piece table and the bounce doesn't seem that good. I've tried the home made robot but i'm not good enough for that.. i can always hit the ball because it has no spin.

Oh yeah, i think the way i'm holding the racket is limiting my strokes. I'll take a picture later.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Markus. L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markus. L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 12:52am
where you at in canada?
Nittaku Acoustic-FL
fh/bh-Almana

BUTTERFLY Timo Boll TriCarbon-FL
fh/bh-Optimum MP

DONIC Waldner Senso Carbon
Xexz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xexz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 1:04am
Um..

well where I am, there's a pick up games gyms too. But sometimes ppl would just grab someone and rally for (quite) some time.. AND THEN play a game!! lol

btw, u have a *home made* robot?! Can i see? :D

Maybe shadow train? Or even train with ur robot. Like work on ur strokes (FH & BH hits) until u got those strokes down and able to keep the ball going at a decent speed and projectory.
I always practice these first before practising everything else cuz I find it very helpful as it reminds me how my stroke should be and how my weight shifting should be as well.
cdtrix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdtrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 1:12am
i'm in mississauga ontario.

my home made robot is really just 2 really thick pieces of laminated wood angled at the edge of the table.

i get get a rally going for the while but i always get lobs back.. i tried angling the wood to give a more lower faster but it ends up in the net most of the time
Xexz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xexz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 1:33am
ahh i c

how bout coaches? there isnt any group training clubs near ur place?
well either, i would either go to the pick up games club and ask someone to rally with u.
better yet, ask the ppl at work to play with u. doesnt matter how good or bad they are. as long as u get those basic strokes going, its all good.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 1:55am
try watching some tt training videos. 
cdtrix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdtrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 2:02am
i've tried videos but some times it's hard to learn from them cause you can't replicate what they are doing

that's what i've been doing at work.. whenever they want a game.. i'll just practice my shots...

I lose because i'm not trying to win... and they get all happy and gloat.. i laugh
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 6:48am
Important thing about forehand loop is to learn how to hit through the ball first. Like the way you hit baseball. With a low to high swing. Also pay attention to the ball and where it is. Because if you can locate the ball and just place yourself in front of the ball and even do a small stroke, it will go back on the table.

when I'm teaching someone new to table tennis, I teach them to first locate the ball and take a small stroke across the ball and they get the hang of it. Then once they get the hang of it, they can do the same thing, but a bigger swing.
Budric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 11:53am
What do you mean there are no clubs in mississauga? There's http://www.mississaugarattlerstt.ca/ which is pretty huge with lots of tables and several locations.

Here is a list of the other clubs:
http://groups.msn.com/TableTennisToronto/clubslocations.msnw
(note there's more than 1 page, so click next...)

P.S. There's a Polish club and a club in Brampton...those are the ones I can think of on the west end. Look them up in the list.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic