Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New setup need you advise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New setup need you advise
    Posted: 10/07/2016 at 3:07pm
Dear guys,

I am looking for the new setup with good weight balance (not head heavy)

I used to play with Nittaku Acoustic FL 87 gr with MXP and Vega Europe. I din't like the handle (too thin) and very head heavy for me. Though I liked the feeling. I started thinking of new setup and chose M.Maze.

M.Maze 87 gr AN handle with Baracuda and Joola Maxxx P 2.0 thickness both of them. Balance feels the same head heavy as with Acoustic but handle is much more comfortable. The shots are quite good when stroke is correct however now I mention that is very sensitive to right technique so I decided to keep it once I will master my technique.

My decision is to downgrade to pure wood towards control and stability and well balanced in terms of weight. I am looking for good looping blade with good control, and feel. I prefer playing close to the table to mid distance, looping from both wings. I like making flicks and top spins with my wrist from BH which is very difficult with my current setup. So weight balance is very crucial for me now.

My main goal is to improve my technique and blade should help me with it. Currently Maze is making learning more difficult.

Could you please advise which blade would be suitable?
Main requirements:
1. Weight balance - well balanced with modern euro tensors like Tibhar Evolution rubbers
2. Good for looping - easy to start attacking on backspin balls
3. Matched with Medium-soft to Medium-hard rabbers like Joola Maxxx P, Tibhar Ev-n FXP, EL-S, Baracuda
4. Weight is under 85 grams

However I also make my research and have several options

Donic Waldner Limited edition 2016. Limba top play is good for looping and it has enough dwell time. However some reviews are making me afraid of weight balance again.

Originally posted by Lawson Lawson wrote:

Hey, I have been playing for one week with this blade (ST handle) whith Donic Baracuda on FH and Joola X-Plode Sensitive on BH, both max. A few months ago I returned to table tennis after nearly 20 years. My former blade was my old Donic Waldner Dicon (FL handle) with new rubbers: Donic Acuda S2 on FH and Joola X-Plode Sensitive on BH, both 2.0.
Here are my impressions, specially in comparation with my former blade:

Waldner limited is a bit stiffer and heavier (I didn't weigh it before I put rubbers on it, but the difference of weigh after that is obvius) than Dicon. Also with this set up, Dicon is more balanced and Limited has more weigh on paddle area).

Butterfly Primorac Off-
Butterfly Korbel Off

both Japan version, I heard currently the quality as well as weight (which is also characteristic of quality control) range of this blades very big. Like from 80 to 95 gr approx.

Would be thankful for your advises and comments.

Edited by player87 - 10/07/2016 at 3:14pm
Sponsored Links

Da Baobei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Baobei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 3:57pm
Korbel also has a relatively small handle, bigger headsize and a lot of them are around 90g. It is a great blade though but if you can't handle the head-heavieness the Primorac is a fantastic blade aswell and the better choice out of these two for you.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 10:58pm
Are there people at your club or where you play who have all wood blades you can try? It is better to try before you buy.
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2016 at 4:22am
Originally posted by player87 player87 wrote:

I am looking for the new setup with good weight balance (not head heavy)

I used to play with Nittaku Acoustic FL 87 gr with MXP and Vega Europe. I din't like the handle (too thin) and very head heavy for me. Though I liked the feeling...

You can try adding some grip tape to the handle of your Acoustics.  You will increase the thickness of the handle and at the same time making the blade less head heavy.  "kills 2 birds with one stone" :)

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2016 at 8:45am
Maybe try a Stiga blade, for example Clipper or Infinity VPS V (small head size) at around 90g, 85g if you have to :)

Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2016 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Da Baobei Da Baobei wrote:

Korbel also has a relatively small handle, bigger headsize and a lot of them are around 90g. It is a great blade though but if you can't handle the head-heavieness the Primorac is a fantastic blade aswell and the better choice out of these two for you.

I will definitely try Primorac of my friend and see how it plays for me.

Btw what kind of rubbers will match with it? Medium soft - Medium hard rubbers with good grippy topshit.

Btw I tried Korbel with H3 (old rubber) but feels quite more balanced but I think it depends on certain blade. One of my club members is using M.Maze FL handle with Tenergy 80 and Tenergy 05 FX max and it feels less head heavy than my. Unfortunately he denied my offer to exchange with my Maze.
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2016 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Are there people at your club or where you play who have all wood blades you can try? It is better to try before you buy.

Totaly agree wit you however most of my club members playing with Butterfly carbon blades. ALC, ZLC and so on.

Before I also thought about Butterfly Innerforce ALC. Should have good control due to ALC layer is placed close to the core. Not sure about balance of this blade. 

Edited by player87 - 10/08/2016 at 1:58pm
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2016 at 2:00pm
Yeap, I tried the grip but it didn't help me much. Anyways I sold it already.
Currently I add the grip to my Maze but not much.
mrflick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrflick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2016 at 2:20pm
Do you consider using Innerforce Layer Alc. I used to play with TBS and Maze Alc now using a IFL Alc and absolutely love it. Very close feeling to pure wood blades and yet you have the power of carbon on active strokws. Also good with tensors but Evo rubbers are both heavy it will be head heavy too.
Timo Boll Spirit ST
Vega Pro
F3 BigSlam
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2016 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Maybe try a Stiga blade, for example Clipper or Infinity VPS V (small head size) at around 90g, 85g if you have to :)

Tried it already. took from my friend.
Don't like the feel of hollow handle.

I was advised to get Stiga Eternity VPS as it has good balance and good for looping. Not sure about handle hollow or not. It is quite fast and some were worried about top ply (fragile).

player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2016 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by mrflick mrflick wrote:

Do you consider using Innerforce Layer Alc. I used to play with TBS and Maze Alc now using a IFL Alc and absolutely love it. Very close feeling to pure wood blades and yet you have the power of carbon on active strokws. Also good with tensors but Evo rubbers are both heavy it will be head heavy too.

Yes I consider it as well however it is quite expensive.
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2016 at 12:08pm
I tried Primorac with 2 tenergies 64 and 05. Seems the same problem. Head heavy for me though much more control and feeling.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic