Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Outdoor Tables?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
808ponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 808ponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outdoor Tables?
    Posted: 08/31/2013 at 2:04pm
I'm considering getting a outdoor table like the Kettler Match or Butterfly Rollaway.  Anyone have experience with outdoor tables?

Going to be stored in a carport and used maybe 1-2 a week for practice.  My main concerns are durability and if the bounce is way too different from a wood top.
BTY Harimoto Stiga DNA M
Sponsored Links

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 2:08pm
if tis a pvc top dont even bother
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
RoboChop View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 1:37pm
The whole kettler range of outdoor tables use the same "ALU-TEC" (22mm wooden board encased in aluminium) top which gives a good bounce for an outdoor table. My friend had a Kettler Stockholm (similar to the Smash 5) and was very happy with it except for the fact that the balls left tiny scratches on the surface and pin head size dots of paint were left on the balls.

The Kettler tables are roller painted on aluminium with a clear coat on top of that, it's more prone to scratches and dents from bat blows than the melamine resin tables.

Most of the other brands use a melamine resin top with thickness's of about 4mm > 7mm,

4mm = 2 out of 5 bounce (better to get a kettler)
5mm = 3 out of 5 bounce (better to get a kettler)
6mm = 4 out of 5 bounce
7mm = 5 out of 5 bounce

If you're budget allows I would go for a 6mm or 7mm melamine resin table like the Cornilleau 400m or 500m (best bang for buck & usually get a 10 year warranty on the table tops).

The Sponeta S5-73e & Andro Outdoor Compact are essentially the same table and have a decent 6mm top.
Personally I'd avoid Butterfly outdoor tables as you're paying too much for the brand and will only get a 4 or 5mm table at roughly the same price point other brands do 6mm tables.

At the end of the day, playing table tennis on an outdoor table is better than no table tennis at all.

Edited by RoboChop - 09/03/2013 at 5:19pm
808ponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 808ponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 12:28am
Thanks for all the info guys.  I guess it's like wood tables - thicker the better.

In the end I decided to take my chances with a regular wood table and keep it covered when stored.  It wasn't like I was going to leave it out exposed to the elements anyway.
BTY Harimoto Stiga DNA M
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 6:23pm
I had a Kettler Stockholm indoor/outdoor table. Its bounce was only 70% of a Butterfly Centerfold 25. Nuff said!
BBC, SP, LP
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 6:43pm
I played on concrete tables in Paris and Guangzhou (across the street from Janet Chen's club, near the stadium); the bounce is so crazy I wonder if it is a plus to train so when going back to a normal table we feel like playing a slomo game.
Every city park in the world should have a few; now THAT would be a true promotion of the game.
I randomly found the pics below on the web.

http://www.allabouttabletennis.com/image-files/concrete-table-tennis-tables-china.jpg

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 9:38pm
I owned an apartment where we had a concrete tables around in the neighborhood (about 6), and the best one was just 50 meters from our building. I will try to dig up a photo.
The only real problem was that the grass and dirt in the areas where players move got ruined/nonexistent such that one had to play at about half foot below the ground level. But that was a ton of fun for the neighborhood kids (and for our dog)...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic