Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

"Palatinus - Esperanto" ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Palatinus - Esperanto" ?
    Posted: 10/26/2010 at 6:27am
For those who have not followed the Osp thread lately there has been some discussion in that thread about bladebuilding related to different type of rubber and playlevel.
It became clear people have different experiences and ideas on this which is normal. mr Palatinus (at the end of page 24 in the Osp thread) then came up up with the idea of people speaking those different "languages" in tabletennis to cooperate in designing a blade and then the blade he makes out of it will speak for itself as it will be send around for testing.
Palatinus will be the main factor in making the blade offcourse, that,s what his offer implied.
He puts in his craftmanship, experience and secrets and also attaches his name and logo to it offcourse.

Edited by tompy - 10/26/2010 at 10:24am
Sponsored Links

Palatinus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palatinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 2:19pm
 I wish much happiness, and lot of fun.

Edited by Palatinus - 10/26/2010 at 2:20pm
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 4:19pm
Tompy, since you appear to be leading this, would you please post the guidelines on how to post your ideas and suggestions for the blade?
Palatinus, maybe you have a preferred form of how we should lay out our posts?
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 5:39pm
In short:
We had an idea for you all but mainly those who would like to join our mutual racket building seriously. As our respect to artificial language 'Esperanto' that is established by using many languages to make a mutual language we would build a blade together that will called Esperanto.

We make only one piece of that kind and we will never sell it but we will send around for testing. It will be a symbol our common work.

We need at least these details:
- head shape
- speed
- lamina weight (cut)
- thickness
- veneers
- glue
- glueing process (pressure, time, temperature, viscosity)
- handle shape
- handle weight
- handle veneers
- handle installing glue
- handle laminating glue + process (pressure, time, temperature, viscosity)
we make real professional handmade table tennis blades - ospblades.com
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 5:40pm
We called tompy to lead the way. You can make a team that will deliver an output and we finally make that racket.
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 6:15pm
Head :compact
Speed : off/off+ 
Thickness : 6.0-6.2mm
Veneers : Hinoki/ Cypress outer:   kiri core?  Have you ever tried Mahogany as an outer veneer??
Glue: hot Hide glue
Handle: Conical
Overall weight 90-92 grams
Neutral balance
7 plies
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 6:38pm
Welcome the first certain imagination :)
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 6:52pm
Head :compact, 150 W X 158 H
Speed : off 
Thickness : 5.7mm - 6.0mm
Veneers : Hinoki/ Cypress outer:   Virtuoso's core?
Glue: Hide glue
Handle: Anatomic or Conical
Overall weight 86g - 90g
Neutral balance
7 plies but feels like a solid nice 5 plies?
Hmmm...one 2nd thought, may be well..it could be a Virtuoso Plus Pro. Edition with 5 ples and that might be just ALL I ever need or dream of......

Edited by tiehwen - 10/27/2010 at 2:26pm
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 10:46pm
I think this is going to be very funny. If the 20 000 mytt members are posting their Esperanto ideal blade specs, we'll have 20000 different specs...
Here's mine :
5 plies
87gr
Off
head shape 150-157mm
Thickness 6.0mm
handle conical ala K.Johansson
Central core Kiri 4.0mm
intermediate plies walnut 0.5mm
outer plies planchonello 0.5mm
hide glue
center balanced

If M.Palatinus was producing this blade, I would buy it at once. 
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 2:39am
Originally posted by jcdi jcdi wrote:

If M.Palatinus was producing this blade, I would buy it at once. 

You may have it produced with a custom order. Wink
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 3:19am
Thumbs Up
tompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 3:24am
Well go ahead Palatinus you seem to have some customorders allready...just kidding.
Off course it,s not going to work if everyone mentions a personal favorite layering. We get a collection of designs then as many as there are blades for different players now. 

As background information...
There is a discussion on the Osp-thread where Palatinus his idea came from. People seemed to speak different languages there allthough it was all - almost - perfect english.
When Palatinus made a reference to esperanto and came up with the idea of an esperanto it was in relation with that discussion.

.....you speak words, I speak different language, with my hands.....that,s about what Palatinus threw up. Let a blade do the talking. But considering this background I would think it is logic to keep this discussion also somewhat as a background and as it was mostly about looping in the higher gears that should also comeback in the blade I think.

So for instance let,s imagine Wang liqin - as a powerlooper - comes to us with a complaint about his blades. He has a Hurricane King 655 neo and uses a carbon now. He can,t use the Hurricane King neo anymore but he misses the all wooden feel.
What can we - and Palatinus - do to help him ........ Then we would have a somewhat set goal and two more or less well known blades as a reference. We can keep our personal preferences aside a bit then if only because the goal is set above our playlevel ...... except in our dreams and fantasy maybe.
In this line and the woods Palatinus uses mostly I could think of a few possibilities.

Seven plies the stability is better and the throw can be kept lower and more controlled on high impact looping even with somewhat flex that can support the katapult of the rubber. The added plies sort a compensates for carbon also. Besides spirit is also seven plies total...or even nine..carbon and arylate. So maybe we need seven plies ?
For seven plies as an answer for the glue ban stiga came up with Ebenholz VII. Compared with clipper they also changed the second layer from the core from abachi to Ebenholz. 
That type of build can also be done with Walnut instead of Ebenholz and could be an option.

But different layering is possible like a three ply abachi core, spruce (or spruce type, about similar weight and hardness as Abachi) for second layer and walnut outerply maybe ? A seven ply version of Hurricane King (and walnut instead of Koto)...

Another direction could be we try to make a allround 5-ply attackers blade in the off class. Allround and classic in the sense that such a blade with adaption of rubber would be usable  for many different players levelwise and playstyle.

With the woods Palatinus seems to use most (I doubt he has Hinoki, kiri or Planchanello available but who knows ?) that could be abachi core but a walnut core could also be interesting.
The core has to be thinner then offcourse because of weight issues. The second plies of abachi can be thicker then which gives a softer touch even with aharder outerlayer as walnut.  If the gluing between outerlayer and second ply is strong/firm but thin and flexible there will be a good surface spring and the throw is not too high depending on total thickness also. In the higher gears the centerply would have to support the kick and hardness.

Or maybe a more classic 5-ply abachi core blade, with two outerplies dependant what we want to achieve ? Bit more "boring" maybe as there are so many blades with such a build allready but also less risky.

Off course there are more options, but it depends on the woods available......
More precise details as veneer thickness or gluing process we can do later on offcourse. We will need Palatinus imput then also.

Edited by tompy - 10/27/2010 at 4:54am
tompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 4:57am
Confused  We could all fill in a custom order form and use a statistic program.

Edited by tompy - 10/27/2010 at 6:25am
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 5:42am
Head :160 x 152 mm
Speed : off/off+ 
Thickness : 6.5 mm
Veneers : Hinoki/ Cypress outer: rosewood middle veneers and a kiri core.
Glue: ?
Handle: flared
Overall weight 80-85grams
Neutral balance
7 plies
Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 6:59am
Originally posted by jcdi jcdi wrote:

Here's mine :
5 plies
87gr
Off
head shape 150-157mm
Thickness 6.0mm
handle conical ala K.Johansson
Central core Kiri 4.0mm
intermediate plies walnut 0.5mm
outer plies planchonello 0.5mm
hide glue
center balanced

Isn't this Madash?
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 7:30am
This is going to be an interesting experiment...

I am no expert in blade making, but I would be more than happy to try the Esperanto when it will be made. I agree with tompy that it should be a 7ply blade and IMO it should be in the OFF category.
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
Liquid Sky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquid Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 7:49am
I think it should be like Tompy suggested. One clear goal should be set and everybody suggests solutions to solve the problem.

For me, as I'm building blades myself, there a two big challenges:

1) A slow, but stiff blade

2) A fast but not too stiff blade

Since the second problem is due to the speed glue ban very up to date, we should try to solve it. So I suggest, like Tompy said, to try to build a blade that has the stability and power of a carbon blade like Boll Spirit but combines these features with a all wooden feel.
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Liquid Sky Liquid Sky wrote:

Since the second problem is due to the speed glue ban very up to date, we should try to solve it. So I suggest, like Tompy said, to try to build a blade that has the stability and power of a carbon blade like Boll Spirit but combines these features with a all wooden feel.

I agree. Most of the orders coming into our custommade section are in that matter for about 2-3 years.
tompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 9:51am
Glad you join in Liquid sky. We can use more experience from a bladebuilding perspective.

If everyone agrees or most we would have fase one ready then.

With seven plies the risk of too much residual vibration and springiness is less so maybe seven plies is easier, less critical. But five plies could be more a challenge. We also can keep both options open for now  and have a look at character and properties of different woodtypes first and for which layers to use them. Outerply - second ply combination for instance.

But ......we don,t know what type of woods are available to work with. I know limba, abachi and walnut are available.....
If there are different grades in hardness for a specific type of wood that  also would be usefull to know as this can vary widely for most woods.
If palatinus has a problem to be open about this I can imagine. We can work with Limba ayous (abachi) and walnut then. But I would like to know this. And possibillities to select these woods for density would still be usefull.

Edited by tompy - 10/27/2010 at 11:21am
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 11:32am
Originally posted by PLLsystem PLLsystem wrote:

Originally posted by Liquid Sky Liquid Sky wrote:

I agree. Most of the orders coming into our custommade section are in that matter for about 2-3 years.

Isn't this Musko??
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 1:48pm
Yes, Musko is one fo the result of that developement in our standardized line.
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 2:18pm
I can't see the logic why such a universal blade should be 7 plies ? 7 ply blades are rather exclusive, pretty good for hitting, blocking and drive looping. But 5 ply blades can, imho, satisfy a much larger range of players from all to off.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
tompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 3:28pm
Some seven plies are known to be good for looping also offcourse.
But I kept it (V or VII) open deliberately for the following phase. So if you have an idea for a five ply, all suggestions are welcome in this phase.  
We can consider a few different possibillities for layerings (5 or 7 or different) with the woods available (if we now which). Then after this phase we can see which layering seems most interesting and/or challenging from a bladebuilding perspective. This depends of Palatinus input also.
The specific Weight for woods (per M^3) divers strongly.
Examples:
Spruce - 360 - 490 kg/m^3
Limba - 470 - 660 kg/m^3
Abachi - 370 -450 kg/m^3

Off course these ranges can come back in the result dependant on the weight selections Palatinus has available. So if we have a few options Palatinus can come in and comment in this respect for the possibilities and or impossibilities. Otherwise we have to now exactly the properties of the selections he has and it would become much to complex.

Edited by tompy - 10/28/2010 at 4:00am
tompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 4:44am
For now I think the waiting is for PLL to inform us about the woods available to work with.
Otherwise we would only waste time going into exotic builds without even knowing if mr Palatinus has these woods available.
I hope there are not too much different types, I hate it when I buy an ice-cream and there are too many choices...I mostly pick vanilla then.

Edited by tompy - 10/28/2010 at 4:45am
Palatinus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palatinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 6:19am
I will soon provide details.. 
tompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 6:43am
Thanks. You don,t have to give all the details at once. Only the woodtypes would be enough to get the imagination going for now.
Palatinus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palatinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 2:44pm
@tompy, we like the ic-cream metaphor :)

Well, here are the main assortments of wood veneers which are in our stock,
and is suitable for blade construction:

Koto              0,55   Hard
                     0,6    Hard /Medium / Soft
                     0,7    Medium                       
American 
Walnut           0,5    H
                     0,55  M
     1,0    M

Mahagoni       0,6    M

Japanese 
Ash               0,6     M

Limba         0,55  H / M / S
     0,6    H / M / S
                     0,7    H / M 

Black
Limba            0,6    M

Beech           0,55   H

Red 
Cedar            0,6     S

Ash               0,55    H

Movingui        0,6     M

Birch             0,55   M

Okoume        0,6     S

Akayou          0,7     M

Lemon           0,6 Very Hard

Linden           0,5     M

Anigre           0,5     M

Afromosia      0,5    H

Padouk          0,55  H

Spruce           0,6    S
                     0,8    S

Hinoki            1.0    S

Abachi,
Samba           0,6    S
                     0,7    S
                     1,0    S
                     1,4    M

For core Abachi(Samba) M / S  in all thickness..

Write if you need detailed information.

Edited by Palatinus - 10/28/2010 at 2:50pm
tompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 4:06pm
I,m missing the vanilla(wood) option :-)....but thank you for the listing.

Palatinus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palatinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 4:23pm
vanilla=limba Smile

Edited by Palatinus - 10/28/2010 at 4:23pm
tompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 4:50pm
Is it ? I didn,t know that. A seven or five ply vanilla blade how would that be  then...it should be a good looping blade :-).
Actually I remember I really have made that once as a seven ply. It was the only veneer I had left besides Koto and I intended it for being used with long pips otherwise it would be too heavy.
Wasn't even that bad to play with.

Edited by tompy - 10/28/2010 at 5:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic