Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Palio Thor's impressions and reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 58>
Author
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Palio Thor's impressions and reviews
    Posted: 10/01/2010 at 12:14pm
I don't have it yet but thought I'll start a thread in case other people get one in the meantime

Few links about it below

Edited by nicefrog - 10/01/2010 at 12:32pm
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 12:50pm
I recall someone (Heimdallso?) buying it and promising us a review... I am interested!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 1:28pm
Yeah I'm more excited about it than any I have been about any other rubber, if it's as hard as promised it should be pretty awesome. You can seen in the pictures that the topsheet thickness ratio to the pimple height is far in the favour of the topsheet, which is really not normal with European rubbers (usually they are 50-50), this is really in the realm of H2, very similar to H2 in a lot of ways actually, even the taper on the pimples is similar but maybe don't go quite as far down as H2 does (still it's veeeery close). If the sponge is as hard as they say it should be a real weapon for big swingers but I think it's not going to give much happyness for the traditional tensor users, so there's probably going to be some bad reviews around too. Also you can easily see the pimples when looking at the top of the topsheet and that's something you only see on normally see with provincial and national H2 not commercial so it's certain the topsheet is quite soft otherwise they don't show through on such a thick sheet. I dunno this one just looks "right" to me :)

Edited by nicefrog - 10/01/2010 at 1:45pm
ckm423 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckm423 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 1:37pm
www.ttnpp.com will start selling Thor Next week!!
Yasaka Extra
FH: DHS Neo Skyline 2
BH: Donic Acuda S2 2.0mm
USATT:1876
My Feedback!

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 1:40pm
Someone posted at another forum that this thing is awfully heavy - heavier than boosted BW II 40 ... must be at least 75 g uncut then, I guess...

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 1:47pm
Good!: ) it's looks heavy with such a thick topsheet and supposed hard sponge you can't really get away from that, so thats nice to know it really is, I'm using it on balsa anyway so the heavier the better, means it's going to go "crack" just nicely :p

Edited by nicefrog - 10/01/2010 at 1:49pm
dan_can View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan_can Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 2:16pm
Blitz is heavy too. I bought one sheet of red max, it weights 70g uncut.
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 2:23pm
So looking at these links with the pictures, the same batch number (if that is what is stamped on the sponge) has a bright yellow AND a bright orange color sponge. It might just be the pictures, but that makes me a little concerned on what you might get....
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 2:34pm
You should worry about the amount of dye in your food not sponges :) but it's more likely the camera, flash on or off different light settings etc
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by mmerkel mmerkel wrote:

So looking at these links with the pictures, the same batch number (if that is what is stamped on the sponge) has a bright yellow AND a bright orange color sponge. It might just be the pictures, but that makes me a little concerned on what you might get....

Yeah I think it's just the flash playing tricks on us...

ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 4:45pm
Hence the name Thor, not because it makes you as powerful as Thor, but because you require to be as powerful as Thor just to wield this rubber LOL
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2010 at 2:26am
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

Hence the name Thor, not because it makes you as powerful as Thor, but because you require to be as powerful as Thor just to wield this rubber LOL

LOL

Still... I want to hear about this damn rubber! LOL I'm not even playing right now, but I waited so freaking long for it to come out that it feels like a loose end. Smile

mart1243 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mart1243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2010 at 3:37am
My Thors was 66 gr uncut, not so heavy i think and it plays very well.
I can play euro type loops and chinese loops over the table with ease, that is the only rubber that i tried thats good with both styles. Very good spinn on serves and serve returns.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2010 at 8:06am
mart1234, how is the throw on it and does the sponge feel hardish ?
mart1243 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mart1243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2010 at 10:02am
nicefrog, the throw is medium to low in my opinion, low throw when you attack the ball hard over the table a bit higher throw when you let the ball sink some and loop away from the table. I really like the sponge it has a very dynamic feel, amazing feeling in the short game and service returns and springy on blocks and counter strokes but serving looping and driving is were it shines, a bit worse in the flat hitting and smashing aspect of the game there beijing 2 and 729 -08 is better. But still the best overall rubber for me so far. I don't find the sponge to be that hard, maybe 40-41 deg. on the DHS Haifu Tuttle scale.
 I have had a hard time finding the best chinese tacky rubber for some years now, I've tried Beijing 2/3, Blue whale 2, Hurricane 2/3 no 19 20 blue provincial and neo sponge, Reactor Tornado 44 deg, 729 -5 -08 -2, My favorites has been Beijing 2, Reactor Tornado and 729 -08. And the have had some good aspects but not as good as Palio Thor's  is overall.

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2010 at 10:57am
Thanks mart, sounds just perfect for me :). I should have it in less than a week and I'll try it out as soon as I can, looking forward to it more than ever :!)
walleyeguy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyeguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2010 at 12:45pm
if its the same as rakza 7 then its too bloody fast for me

edit: i was thinking of blitz

Edited by walleyeguy7 - 10/03/2010 at 12:46pm
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2010 at 12:15am
I seen this comment by Jean today http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/palio-thors.html

And some wobbly translation from a Japanese review about it having mad rotation so it all sounds good so far
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2010 at 12:08pm
MART1234:

how long had you been playing ith the thor? i would want to know if you see any difference in properties (and how significant is that) after a week or 2?

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2010 at 12:21pm
I just put a sheet of Thor's on my M.Maze yesterday. I will test it later today.

It is 52g cut to the Maze with 2-3mm overlap. Feels same weight as average hard sponge FH rubber like Tenergy or Xiom Pro. Not brick heavy like Spin Art, BWII, IQUL, etc. Right after I peel the plastic covering off, it is tacky enough to hold the ball indefinitely. After I use water and a sponge to wash it once, removing the static electricity, it will hold the ball for a few seconds. Its definitely tacky. The topsheet is smooth, without the blotchy spots visible on a new sheet of BWII or some Hurricanes.

I am assuming like any Chinese style rubber, it will need a break-in period, but I will say just by bouncing a ball on it, it feels really hard and slow. I don't feel any tuner effect or tensor "bounce". Of course I need to play with it before I form any real opinion.

I will test it on the Maze tonight, and then I will move it to the Acoustic or Lissom to test later in the week.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2010 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

I am assuming like any Chinese style rubber, it will need a break-in period, but I will say just by bouncing a ball on it, it feels really hard and slow. I don't feel any tuner effect or tensor "bounce". Of course I need to play with it before I form any real opinion.

Well, this is to be expected from a new tacky rubber. Give it a couple of long sessions then it should become much more playable, I am sure.

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2010 at 1:16pm
i have barely come across a bad review of a tensor rubber on early days. its  only later that people complain about non-linearity or stop using it. so i am eager for long time test at least 3-4 weeks. 
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2010 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

Well, this is to be expected from a new tacky rubber. Give it a couple of long sessions then it should become much more playable, I am sure.
to test the speed you can put a plastic cover on it then bounce the ball, that way the tackiness will not affect the bounce of the ball, it's not perfectly accurate but will give an idea on how bouncy the rubber is..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2010 at 3:06pm
Here is a quick compressed review of Palio Thors from a Ukrainian TT forum: (by [email protected])

Caveat: Testing was done against the robot, real match testing will follow.

I bought black MAX (the only option) from a Palio dealer (JT - Eacheng, I suspect). Sponge is of a bright mustard-yellow color, quite porous, rubber is marked with 54 deg hardness.

Weight - 72 g uncut, quite heavy for me. Topsheet is pretty tacky.

I put it on my KLHS (81 g) and the overall weight was 180 g (tolerable for me).

Impressions - rather bland. Nothing special. All elements were stable, not better not worse than many other tensors. Where was the killer FH loop? Well, it was to be expected. In order to make it shine you need

a) relatively hard blade to really penetrate the sponge. KLHS is not good for that due to its softness

b) FH loop technique must be different - namely, the standard Chinese loop technique instead of Euro one used with softer non-tacky tensors.

c) finally, good physique to execute the consecutive killer loops in the proper manner ;D

OK, my physique is just fine (jinx-jinx). I also have Jun Mizutani blade which I wanted to test with Chinese tacky rubbers. The only thing left is the right technique but I have good sparring partners and coaches so we'll see..

So my next combo was - JM with Thors on FH, Blitz on BH - 187 g. A bit heavy for my wrist but JM is so nicely balanced that I didn't really feel the extra weight that much.

Testing by elements:

Chop - great! You can do it short, you can power chop it longer so that the trajectory drops suddenly putting the ball on the table. Never had done that before with a tacky rubber, feels just wonderful to me. I don't know why defenders don't use that rubber more... it's an offensive one but...

Drive - no surprises there, quite controllable, and if you drive it stronger you literally feel the ball cracking

Loop - brush-loop doesn't differ much from regular tensors. Power loop (WLQ style - JT) with serious sponge penetration must be done through the ball, and then regardless whether it was under or top-spin if you do it right you put the ball on the table, and low, too! Trajectory drops on the other side which shows that the Magnus effect is engaged by the crazy spin you produce.

snake eye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2010 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by ckm423 ckm423 wrote:

www.ttnpp.com will start selling Thor Next week!!

It is here http://ttnpp.com/shop/palio-thor-made-in-germany-p-444.html
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2010 at 12:20am
....Thor... *snickers* ... Embarrassed
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2010 at 12:19pm
I got my sheet of Thor's from ttarmory.

I tested it on the M.Maze last night and it is similar to Hurricane NEO or BWII. It has more than enough speed and decent spin. But to get big time spin out of it--a shot with a lot of power and topspin that arcs down to the table--I had to take a big swing, hitting the ball very hard and at just the right angle, grazing the ball. A totally different stroke than I am used to. I will need to try this rubber on a fast all-wood, higher throw blade like my Acoustic, and the rubber still needs to be broken in before I will truly know how it performs. But I found it difficult to use on a Maze, coming from Tenergy fh on a MJ or Maze.

This rubber is obviously aimed at the Hurrican NEO, BWII market. Its not a hybrid rubber like Spin Art. (Spin Art to me feels like a Japanese rubber with a few Chinese rubber properties, like speed glued Tackifire Special Soft, etc.) Rather, Thor's is a hard sponged, tacky rubber with some kick right out of the package, glued on with only water based glue.

note: The sponge is not pourous compared to all of the new rubbers like Tenergy, Vega, Blitz, etc. But compared to old school sponges, you can discern some tiny holes.

Edited by LOOPMEISTER - 10/05/2010 at 12:42pm
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2010 at 12:37pm
Thanks for the little review, that's exactly how I expected it would play. I don't know about anyone else that uses Chinese rubbers but that sounds drool worthy :D. Maybe no good for Tenergy fans but this rubber isn't made for them anyway. I'd suggest you stick with it for a month solid and see if you can adjust, it would be well worth it long term

Edited by nicefrog - 10/05/2010 at 12:39pm
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2010 at 2:31pm
This rubber is tempting me to make a "comeback" to the sport (after a whole month of "retirement"). It seems that if my love for the sport cannot make me interrupt my studies and disregard my responsibilities, then perhaps my obsessive/compulsive EJ-ing will.

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2010 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

This rubber is tempting me to make a "comeback" to the sport (after a whole month of "retirement"). It seems that if my love for the sport cannot make me interrupt my studies and disregard my responsibilities, then perhaps my obsessive/compulsive EJ-ing will.

Good to have you back. TongueClap  by next month it'll be fulltime.Wink
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 58>
  Share Topic